Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,198
    beano.79 said:

This weekends training runs. Slightly lower mileage next week as the week after we are going overnight 6pm til 6am 😨😂
    Incredible!! That is about what I run in 2 weeks. Are you tired today?
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 707
    Nice work, how do you guys feel?

Actually not too bad, we've worked up slowly to this. Also after the overnight run we drop back down and spend 8 weeks building back up until race day.

Nice and slow today so didn't take as much out of me as a marathon usually would
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    Great stuff!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,486
    GlowGirl said:
    I was wondering what kind of headphones you all use when you run. I was using Bose Soundsport for a while, and then switched to Jaybird Tarah Pro - which I love. Yesterday my right earphone crapped out - complete silence. I called their tech support and after trying a few failed fixes, we determined they are done. I need to send them some info to see if they are still on warranty. The issue is that they don't make them anymore. They now only make ones that are completely wireless. Mine were bluetooth, but had a cord that attached to both earbuds and went around the back of my neck. I like the cord because it makes me feel that I have less of a chance of losing one if it falls out of my ear. However, I found that a lot of the good brands are now completely wireless. For those of you who run with wireless - do they stay in ok? I am considering the Jaybird Vista 2's. Or Jabra makes some. These two brands have high ratings for being sweatproof and water resistant. Any thoughts? I don't want the kind that go over your head - I prefer the in the ear models. Thanks.
    I use Bose QC30s the neck part is something that will bounce up and down on your traps while running, but I got used to it. Noise cancelling and sound are superb. I hear nothing but music. They aren't advertised as waterproof, but I am also the sweatiest person I know and they've been doing okay. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I was wondering what kind of headphones you all use when you run. I was using Bose Soundsport for a while, and then switched to Jaybird Tarah Pro - which I love. Yesterday my right earphone crapped out - complete silence. I called their tech support and after trying a few failed fixes, we determined they are done. I need to send them some info to see if they are still on warranty. The issue is that they don't make them anymore. They now only make ones that are completely wireless. Mine were bluetooth, but had a cord that attached to both earbuds and went around the back of my neck. I like the cord because it makes me feel that I have less of a chance of losing one if it falls out of my ear. However, I found that a lot of the good brands are now completely wireless. For those of you who run with wireless - do they stay in ok? I am considering the Jaybird Vista 2's. Or Jabra makes some. These two brands have high ratings for being sweatproof and water resistant. Any thoughts? I don't want the kind that go over your head - I prefer the in the ear models. Thanks.
    I use Bose QC30s the neck part is something that will bounce up and down on your traps while running, but I got used to it. Noise cancelling and sound are superb. I hear nothing but music. They aren't advertised as waterproof, but I am also the sweatiest person I know and they've been doing okay. 
    Thanks. Those sound great. But I can’t have complete noise cancelling since I run on the streets of NYC. I need to be able to hear my surroundings a bit. I just bought the JBLs. And wore them running on Saturday. The sound is not quite as good as my Bose Soundsport but they are a bit more comfortable for running. I really loved my Jaybird Tarah Pros the best for sound and comfort. I am disappointed they stopped making them. But the JBLs will be good for now. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

This weekends training runs. Slightly lower mileage next week as the week after we are going overnight 6pm til 6am 😨😂
    Incredible!! That is about what I run in 2 weeks. Are you tired today?
    Not too bad, we've really been managing the pace and not pushing.. I'm more tired due to the early starts and fitting the time around the family at weekends.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Forgot what it was like to run in pure humidity. Yikes. Now I am sitting here drenched in sweat and dripping all over my living room floor - trying to muster up the energy to stand up and get in the shower.
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    Funny how the seasons change so dramatically.
    I have a spot in our entryway where I generally put down a towel and sit until I stop sweating and feel ready to hit the shower.  
    The high humidity runs feel good but do bring a lot out of you.

• Options
    Last week here it was close to 30c. This weekend it was about 13c and sopping wet! It's impossible to acclimatise to anything here 😂
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    70F, 97%H
    Left around 530am.
    My shirt weighed about 10 pounds when I got back, lol.
    Feels good, but I only ran 5 miles.  20 in this would be pretty exhausting.  

Shower feels pretty spectacular after, though.  :)

Still much prefer over freezing.
  • Options
    70F, 97%H
    Left around 530am.

Great job in this humidity. Today is an off day for running for me. But I will be going to the gym for weight training later. The humidity is exhausting. I bet that shower felt amazing. Do you ever just come home and jump right in the pool?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    70F, 97%H
    Left around 530am.

Great job in this humidity. Today is an off day for running for me. But I will be going to the gym for weight training later. The humidity is exhausting. I bet that shower felt amazing. Do you ever just come home and jump right in the pool?

No, but I should.  Almost always running in the AM, I tend to be cramped for time.  This morning we were meant to have some folks here at 7 in order to install a new fridge.  (Long story...they failed again!)  Seems to always be something I am rushing to get done before work.
    Sometimes when i finish mowing the lawn I will clean off the bits of grass with the hose and then jump in.

This whole training thing would be much easier without a job, family, etc...we see how beano needs to run during the middle of the night!  ;/

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,486
    Finally shelled out the money to pay for the Salomon ADV 12 vest. They are sold out everywhere here and most of stores online have them on back order. I wanted to get it in store so I can try it on. Glad I did. Found an REI that has my size. Kinda surprised that I was more comfortable with an XL and the large feels pretty tight. All reviews I've read said it it is true to size and I am usually a large. @beano.79 did you encounter the same with the vest?
  • Options
    Finally shelled out the money to pay for the Salomon ADV 12 vest. They are sold out everywhere here and most of stores online have them on back order. I wanted to get it in store so I can try it on. Glad I did. Found an REI that has my size. Kinda surprised that I was more comfortable with an XL and the large feels pretty tight. All reviews I've read said it it is true to size and I am usually a large. @beano.79 did you encounter the same with the vest?
    Yes I did, I'm a medium and had to return mine for a large. Im glad I did, it's much more comfortable
  • Options
    Interesting.  I almost asked my sister to grab one for me when she went to REI a few weeks back and I was visiting her.
    Will make sure to go myself and try on.  I usually wear a large but don't think I've ever needed am XL for any shirt/jacket/vest.  Will be curious to see what it turns out to be.

There was a beast mode dude at the track this morning....not sure what he was turning but I would guess between 5 and 6 minute miles.  Made me faster just seeing someone killing it like that.
  • Options
    Just signed up for a 50k on Oct 30.  Thought it might be too soon and was worried that is is 3+ weeks prior to the Philadelphia Marathon and a week prior to the Run The Bridge 10k (and there is the to be rescheduled Broad Street 10 miler which is for the fall sometime) but was thinking about it this AM and I'd like to run this distance with other people.  There are for sure benefits to running alone but I think the positives of running with others outweigh the negatives.
    Fuck it, pressed Yes, and now this is set.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Just signed up for a 50k on Oct 30.  Thought it might be too soon and was worried that is is 3+ weeks prior to the Philadelphia Marathon and a week prior to the Run The Bridge 10k (and there is the to be rescheduled Broad Street 10 miler which is for the fall sometime) but was thinking about it this AM and I'd like to run this distance with other people.  There are for sure benefits to running alone but I think the positives of running with others outweigh the negatives.

Nice!! Good luck with all of these runs. It is amazing to think that you were sidelined with an injury not too long ago. You are back!!

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Nice!! Good luck with all of these runs. It is amazing to think that you were sidelined with an injury not to long ago. You are back!!

Thanks -- I don't know about being back but I am certainly going to need to be focused, which is probably the biggest part of this whole thing.  Having a plan, being focused, making myself put in the work, making myself go to sleep early & all of that...this is all good for my brain.
    A big part of me would rather have martinis most evenings, stay up past 10, and sleep until a normal hour.  (Oh, and not ice my knees every night, and walk with a pretty constant (but different) limp as something is always sore.)

I remember what it was like not to crave all of this work and it was a hell of a lot more fun.  :lol:  However, life does not always stay in one spot for us...have to find what works for each of us, at the right time.
  • Options

Excellent! 👌Nothing like the anticipation of an impending event, enjoy the training
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    How was everyone's running weekend?
  • Options
    Sweat out buckets Saturday morning with a nice run.  Today I pushed a mower for 90 mins and will do some time on the pool later as a Cross day.  

Did you log big miles again this weekend?
  • Options
    I also had a really humid run Saturday morning. At the halfway point of my run I was ready to stop but did my full run. I had gone on a long bike ride on Friday which I don’t do very often so my thighs were sore as well. Today I will go on my Sunday 3 mile walk - stopping at my favorite record shop or two along the way. 

Looking at the high temp and humidity for tomorrow morning - I am deciding between running outside or doing the treadmill in my gym in the AC. Neither sounds appealing but I will likely decide in the morning. 

Have fun in your pool. I am extremely envious  :)
  • Options
    If you run in the gym do you have to wear a mask?
    That would be my choice - outside w/o mask!
  • Options
    Sweat out buckets Saturday morning with a nice run.  Today I pushed a mower for 90 mins and will do some time on the pool later as a Cross day.  

Did you log big miles again this weekend?
    18 today. Will rest up during the week as Friday were going 7pm to 7am. Not concerned atall on pace and miles, we will be super slow but we have our crew with us so it's a good all round training run.

Wasn't too warm here today but really fucking humid.. not very enjoyable but job done. I could do with jumping in a pool right now!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I also had a really humid run Saturday morning. At the halfway point of my run I was ready to stop but did my full run. I had gone on a long bike ride on Friday which I don’t do very often so my thighs were sore as well. Today I will go on my Sunday 3 mile walk - stopping at my favorite record shop or two along the way. 

Looking at the high temp and humidity for tomorrow morning - I am deciding between running outside or doing the treadmill in my gym in the AC. Neither sounds appealing but I will likely decide in the morning. 

Have fun in your pool. I am extremely envious  :)
    Way to get the job done 👌 always remember those tough ones that you nailed, those are the memories we need
  • Options
    12 hour clip.  Wow, that sounds grueling but I'd like to do that with someone.  
  • Options
    12 hour clip.  Wow, that sounds grueling but I'd like to do that with someone.  
    We want to experience the dusk til dawn thing before the event. Just need to make sure we have more walk breaks than we need and rest up after. as we still have 7 weeks training afterwards.

Also we have never had a support crew so this will be a good trial run 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Interested to see how you like it, I'm sure you all have it well thought out.
  • Options
    If you run in the gym do you have to wear a mask?
    That would be my choice - outside w/o mask!
    We don’t have to wear masks anymore at the gym. If I can get an early enough start to beat the heat I will run outside.