Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    This thread seems to have been hijacked by people who live jogging.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Excellent!  Hope the shot hangover isn't too bad.  Today was an off day, had a nice 3.5 mile hike with the family.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    beano.79 said:

Hope you all had a good weekend and good running! Sunday evening already 😔

Had my 1st vaccine jab yesterday so wasn't sure I would get my long run in today, but I didn't feel too groggy so went ahead.

Again using the 100mile pace strategy which we will use on all our long runs. Still struggled to get the pace down even with the walk breaks but will get there as the mileage increases. Next week it's 15 miles so that won't be long. 

Stinking headache now though 😁
    Nice job. I hope you are eating well to make up for all of those calories you are burning. Sorry to hear about your headache. That is a common side effect from the vaccine. It should subside soon. Getting the right pace is hard. It is great that pacing is part of your training. I am enjoying hearing about the training. Since I will never do this kind of running, I will live vicariously through you, while I do my short but sweet 5 mile runs. 
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 664
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Hope you all had a good weekend and good running! Sunday evening already 😔

Had my 1st vaccine jab yesterday so wasn't sure I would get my long run in today, but I didn't feel too groggy so went ahead.

Again using the 100mile pace strategy which we will use on all our long runs. Still struggled to get the pace down even with the walk breaks but will get there as the mileage increases. Next week it's 15 miles so that won't be long. 

Stinking headache now though 😁
    Nice job. I hope you are eating well to make up for all of those calories you are burning. Sorry to hear about your headache. That is a common side effect from the vaccine. It should subside soon. Getting the right pace is hard. It is great that pacing is part of your training. I am enjoying hearing about the training. Since I will never do this kind of running, I will live vicariously through you, while I do my short but sweet 5 mile runs. 
    I need to get used to consuming 200-300 calories per hour during long runs via food, gels, energy drink etc so using the training to also work that out. Had about 350cals yesterday. Week after week we will get it together and nail down the pace and the nutrition, it's all part of the fun 😁
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Just picked these up. Very Comfortable

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Interesting, have not seen those.
    What is the type of mileage you plan on putting on them?  First pair from this brand or are you a repeat customer?
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    I have a few pairs of their trainers, and I like them a lot so I figured I couldn’t go wrong with these. 
    As for mileage I have no idea. I Incorporate runs into my workouts. I normally do 1 or 2K before I work out and might run 2-3 days out of 6
    2K I believe is just over a mile. 
  • Options
    Excellent, glad you found a kind you like!
  • Options
    🎶Consumer of life, hold my hand, extend your rights
    It's the power to purchase to excess
    That sets you apart and can give you the ultimate high🎶
    😂🤗

• Options
    Very nice!

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    I really need to get started again. This is embarassing. I WAS SO GOOD IN THE FALL.

Maybe Buy some real shoes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I really need to get started again. This is embarassing. I WAS SO GOOD IN THE FALL.

Maybe Buy some real shoes.
    Reasons to run:

1. Excuse to buy cool shoes....
  • Options
    I had a nice run today but my gps on my running app was off and really screwed up my time. When I got to where it said I hit a mile it was further than usual so I checked my phone gps and it was off by 1/10 of a mile. I know that doesn’t sound like much but it made a difference in my time that was recorded in my app. In any case I ran 5.1 miles, but my running app recorded it as 5 miles. Nice weather though. Wore shorts and a tank for the first time outside since last year. 
  • Options
    Nice job on the run, with the extra distance.  
    Was warm here as well - went 8 miles and was drenched in sweat after 2.  
    Felt good.
  • Options
    Nice job on the run, with the extra distance.  
    Was warm here as well - went 8 miles and was drenched in sweat after 2.  
    Felt good.
    Nice job on your run as well. You seem to be all healed up. I didn’t sweat too much today since the humidity was decent. The humidity is what gets me. I know it’s coming though. 
  • Options
    Slightly jealous at these weather reports...

Here it's wet...sopping wet. It's almost a parody of British weather 😭
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    beano.79 said:
    Slightly jealous at these weather reports...

Here it's wet...sopping wet. It's almost a parody of British weather 😭
    Ah, Britain - The Land Where Summer Disappoints  :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited May 2021

Still on and off, and decided to go big Friday, had to stop at a 7-11 around mile 4 and handed the poor cashier a sweaty 20 dollar bill. Lol But was still able to keep it at goal of under 10 minutes per. As you can tell, I couldn't have hit stop faster once I reached 10 miles. Haha
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    Very nice - stopped for a water?
  • Options
    Very nice - stopped for a water?
    Thanks. Yep. Gatorade... that I gad to carry for six miles. I'm not properly equipped.  Haha
  • Options
    I carried my hand held CamelBak yesterday with Gatorade in it....and took a drink at every mile for most of the run and whenever I wanted on the last mile or so....and when I returned I poured what was left back into my bottle and I'd drank less than 25% of a bottle....but those small drinks help on the heat.
    Such a bother to get used to carrying the thing, though.  
    Today is an hour cross train day.
    Since I will spend about 90 mins pushing a mower and then use my power washer for hours that will likely be the exercise.  No running today!

• Options
    Felt rough most of the week due to a cold and the vaccine so no midweek run. Got 6 and 15 miles in this weekend. First time since training began 2 weeks ago that the run/walk strategy for long runs started to feel more natural. Takes a bit of getting used to but essential really if we want to complete this race in under 24 hrs.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Felt rough most of the week due to a cold and the vaccine so no midweek run. Got 6 and 15 miles in this weekend. First time since training began 2 weeks ago that the run/walk strategy for long runs started to feel more natural. Takes a bit of getting used to but essential really if we want to complete this race in under 24 hrs.
    Glad you are feeling better.  
    How do you guys work it out with the run/walk?
    Is it mileage based or time based as far as how you alternate?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    beano.79 said:
    Glad you are feeling better.  
    How do you guys work it out with the run/walk?
    Is it mileage based or time based as far as how you alternate?
    When we did the 100km in 2019 we did 15 mins running and 3 mins walking. We worked this out during training. With this 100 mile race we are aiming to cover around 5 miles each hour so we decided on 10mins/5mins. We expect we will cover more than 5 miles an hour at the start and less by the end but having this focus on pace helps to prevent a blow out. During the last half of the 100km we started passing quite a few other runners who just looked finished.

This is based on 10min pace running (to cover 4 miles per hour) and the 20 mins of walking  breaks per hour to cover a 5th...
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    Excellent!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I carried my hand held CamelBak yesterday with Gatorade in it....and took a drink at every mile for most of the run and whenever I wanted on the last mile or so....and when I returned I poured what was left back into my bottle and I'd drank less than 25% of a bottle....but those small drinks help on the heat.
    Such a bother to get used to carrying the thing, though.  
    Today is an hour cross train day.
    Since I will spend about 90 mins pushing a mower and then use my power washer for hours that will likely be the exercise.  No running today!

I wanna look into those vests. Have you used them? I have plenty camelbaks from work, but they are not for running. I just dont know that I run enough to justify the premium because they are not cheap.
  • Options
    I haven't used it yet.  My sister gave it to me a few years back when she was doing the spartan trifecta training.  At some point I plan to try it out.

The CamelBak I have for running is just a soft bottle with a sleeve/grip to hold when running.  Do you have one of those?

• Options
    @beano.79 you guys must have to carry your gear and stuff?  How are you prepping for that?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @beano.79 you guys must have to carry your gear and stuff?  How are you prepping for that?
    I use the Salomon adv skin 12 pack. It comes with 2 soft bottles on the front and space for a bladder in the back (which I don't use) It has great accessible pockets on the front and a 12litre zipped compartment on the back. There is mandatory gear we must carry such as waterproofs, hat, gloves etc.

For water and nutrition we have a 'crew' consisting of my uncle and best mate. They will replenish us at crew points along the course so we only need to carry enough water and nutrition for 3 hrs at a time. More importantly they can prepare hot drinks and soup etc which will be a great boost once we get into the night time!

Were planning all this now and it makes my head hurt 😂 but it's definitely part of the attraction and excitement for us
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    Awesome - thanks for the info!