Will we get live PJ shows, as we knew them, in 2021?

bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
Title says it all.  I’m not talking about half capacity, masked or distanced shows.  I’m talking about sold out arenas, sheds and stadium shows as we knew them pre-Covid. 

Will we get live PJ shows, as we knew them, in 2021? 226 votes

Yes
20%
Father HubbarddarwinstheoryJim TresselmarcPJfanHailHailVitalogypjl44C2V3NSteverthebelievernuzzer1Hawk123jonbond1779BloodMeridian80ComeToTXIndifference71nocode85PA JammerNDJeff7Screaming TreeFlying MXZTim Simmons 46 votes
No
79%
Ryanfaithful2youAmentsChickOceansJennypjhawksmcgruff10blacknapkinsmy_waveAmishGuy91NewJPageevenflow82quasi2-feign-reluctancePJamminchimpatLowlightNiko80kramer73lastexit78100 Pacer 180 votes

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    We basically know they won't tour until it's absolutely 100% safe and all doubt is gone. They haven't come out and so, but given what we know about songs being paused halfway through and the band being one of the first to announce a postponement...

House money says no.

I'm thinking at least 3-4 months between the announcement and the first show, right? We could be well into June or July before "regular people" are eligible for the vaccines.

At a "best-case scenario" I'm thinking it could be October and we get a tour.

At this point, I'm hoping they're sharing ideas virtually. They don't all need to be together to record their own parts. I'm not optimistic, but why not tour two albums together?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    No
    Nope
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No
    Unfortunately my gut says no.  I don’t see europe happening or sea hear now.  2022 will be good to all of us.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    My answer is maybe.   If things go well with the vaccines maybe at the end of the year.

Best case scenario is the vaccines work and people that want them have them by the end of the summer.  That could lead to some fall dates.

I give it 30/70 change of seeing some dates by the end of the year.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    No
    9/4/18 last live show.  If what most of us think comes true then we’ll be staring down close to a 4 year hiatus. Damn. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Yes
    We basically know they won't tour until it's absolutely 100% safe and all doubt is gone. They haven't come out and so, but given what we know about songs being paused halfway through and the band being one of the first to announce a postponement...

House money says no.

I'm thinking at least 3-4 months between the announcement and the first show, right? We could be well into June or July before "regular people" are eligible for the vaccines.

At a "best-case scenario" I'm thinking it could be October and we get a tour.

At this point, I'm hoping they're sharing ideas virtually. They don't all need to be together to record their own parts. I'm not optimistic, but why not tour two albums together?
    We already have the announcement for Europe so now it's just a matter of everyone crossing their fingers on vaccination efforts. I can see a path so I'll be the optimist and say yes.

Beyond what's already booked, I can see touring in general being scattershot out of the gate. It probably won't feel like a traditional Pearl Jam (or whoever) tour, but I think shows will happen. I can't wait to see one again.
    Yes
    Re-reading the first post, I have to say I'm skeptical about full capacity. That's been on my mind a while. These questions specifically:

- Even when vaccinated will people immediately be ready to go back to shows?
    - Will indoor shows suffer more than outdoor?
    - Due to itchiness and financial reasons will there be a higher than usual number of bands looking to tour at once?
    - Will higher supply, lower demand, and number of available venues result in bands playing smaller rooms than you might expect?

For the sake of the artists, I hope there is a ton of pent up demand and most concertgoers feel like I do. But I don't think anyone has a clue. You can make a convincing hypocritical argument from any angle. If there is a general skiddishness, I'm more than ready to see Pearl Jam in a theater, etc.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited January 2021
    No
    Not a chance. Too much to be done and nobody is in charge. 2022, maybe 2023. 

#didntwastemyshot 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    It's not just how one country/continent vaccinates, but a global effort.

Pearl Jam could sell 25,000 tickets in Timbuktu to fans of six different countries in other hemispheres.

What would help is if they announced many countries at the same time. People would be more likely to stay closer to home. If they sell tickets to seven different countries in Europe at the same time as they sold tickets to Canada, the USA and five different countries south of Mexico, people in Europe wouldn't be as likely to buy tickets to Brazil, Argentina and Canada.

But that's not their game plan.

It is going to be a total epic clusterf once things get back online. There's teams that need venues, plus seasonal acts, plus touring acts.

It could damn well be late 2022 until we see normalcy with bands touring again.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Yes

#didntwastemyshot 
    What makes you say this? States won't allow it? People won't go? Problems with vaccine distribution? This is an extremely pessimistic take.
  • I wouldn’t bet too much on it but why not USA in the fall? If vaccines are available to all Americans who want them by then and they make a vaccine an entry requirement for the show I don’t see why it couldn’t happen.  Things would have to fall into place, but the key development that people are overlooking is that there are two highly effective vaccines already starting to roll out.  That itself is a minor miracle.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    Late 2021 - limited US a maybe
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    edited January 2021
    No
    They haven't cancelled anything yet... so there's a little hope of a rescheduled date announcement sometime this year. I'm really curious if they've contemplated a hiatus on GA or other floorplan/capacity rearrangements for the first few legs back on the road. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    Yes
    I’m hoping fall shows, and I think it’s possible, so yes. Though I doubt shows this year will be ‘exactly as we knew them’, I do think arena events in fall is possible with some safety ‘controls’ added. Barring a turn of events in vaccination rate I don’t think Europe shows will happen as scheduled.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    No
    pjl44 said:

#didntwastemyshot 
    What makes you say this? States won't allow it? People won't go? Problems with vaccine distribution? This is an extremely pessimistic take.
    Herd immunity will take all year, if not longer. Longer because our federal government will not step in, which if you ask me, is part of why we have a government. To step in and protect its citizens from disaster first and foremost. PJ won’t play to crowds until they feel risk is minimal IMO. Things will get better, just not in an ambitious time frame people are wanting or in the time frame the OP is putting out there. I say late 22’ or 23’ Would love to be wrong, but I just don’t think life is going to ever go back to the way it was. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I wish there was a “who knows” choice available.  

I think it all depends on how efficiently the US can roll out the vaccines.  I feel like the process will get better in the next few months and we should have a better idea of where we stand by then. 

The truth is.... no one knows. If you go back and read threads from six to eight months ago some of the experts posting here were telling us we wouldn’t even see a vaccine until 2022.  So to have a vaccine already approved and rolled out is huge. But time will tell and I’m choosing to remain optimistic that we get something outdoors this fall.  If not... 2022 will be a great year for music.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Yes
    The London shows will be the first ones in almost 2 years, and they'll be massive!:rock_on:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,468
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    I see full capacity in November. As long as you prove you’re vaccinated and wear a mask. There is no way the NFL is going to start another season without fans or limited capacity. Sports teams will be the tell
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
    No
    I see full capacity in November. As long as you prove you’re vaccinated and wear a mask. There is no way the NFL is going to start another season without fans or limited capacity. Sports teams will be the tell
    That’s quite a bit different from shows as we knew them.  A lot of folks aren’t going to go to a show with proof of vaccination or if a mask is required.  I’ll wait until we can do it the old-fashioned way, assuming we ever get there. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    No
    bbiggs said:
    That’s quite a bit different from shows as we knew them.  A lot of folks aren’t going to go to a show with proof of vaccination or if a mask is required.  I’ll wait until we can do it the old-fashioned way, assuming we ever get there. 

Agree. 
    Showing your papers to be able to go to a show is total fucking bs and certainly is not the way to see a band, as we knew it.

Not saying I won't get the vaccine right away when available, just think showing your papers to see a concert is kinda fucked, and don't see Pearl Jam playing gigs where someone needs to do that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Yes
    bbiggs said:

Agree. 
    Showing your papers to be able to go to a show is total fucking bs and certainly is not the way to see a band, as we knew it.

Not saying I won't get the vaccine right away when available, just think showing your papers to see a concert is kinda fucked, and don't see Pearl Jam playing gigs where someone needs to do that.
    If vaccines are indeed widely available by April/May, it wouldn't be worth the effort and anguish for promoters or venues to ask for documentation or try to enforce mask requirements starting in the summer. It wouldn't shock me if there are isolated incidents, but really you're just accepting the risk. It's a different calculus with 90% effective vaccines vs. 60%. Again, all of this assuming current timelines hold.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    No
    There is no way to ensure that people will wear a mask throughout the entire 3 hour show.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    No
    At this point I don't think it will happen.  Europe in summer is too soon.  U.S. response is slow and fall 2021 could be pushing it.  Perhaps under Biden administration things may move quicker. 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    No
    Don’t want to add on to the bum out but no way is it happening in 2021
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    No
    "As we knew them"?

Not a chance.
  • nando1979nando1979 Castlerock (Northern Ireland) Posts: 82
    No
    As a European who is desperate for the euro tour to go ahead it breaks my heart to say no. The only slim possibility I see is for a US fall tour, but I still figure that's about a 10% chance of happening. In my opinion there is zero chance the euro tour happens unfortunately 
    If hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done.......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2021
    No
    At this point it would be nice if they canceled the spring 2020 tour and refund people their money.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    At this point it would be nice if they canceled the spring 2020 tour and refund people their money.
    I'm getting to this point as well.  I'm holding tickets to 3 shows still, but if we're staring down a 2+ year wait on those shows, and not knowing how they will look or which shows may get cancelled, it almost seems that scrapping the whole thing and starting over when they're ready to tour is the right move. 

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    No
    Arena shows or larger: 2022
    Bands in reduced capacity, smaller venues: fall 2021 (depending on the state)

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    No
    Even if the tour still happened somehow in 2021, they would have to redo the tickets. The tickets were sold as a sold-out show. There's no way we will have that in 2021. I was happy to get a refund when they offered them last year. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1