Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Neil has lots of plans. 

My guess is no.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2020
    If anyone buys and gets an extra Massey Hall vinyl in the new ones that dropped, and can ship it to me in Sweden I would be forever grateful! And will pay ofc!!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    “Timeless Orpheum” streaming now...wow!!! Love this.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    adusick said:
    “Timeless Orpheum” streaming now...wow!!! Love this.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was in the side stage balcony box at this show. I’ll have to give it a watch. See if my ugly mug makes an appearance!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Some good news on NYA to end the year...

It will be interesting to see how this will fit in with all of the Archive and Official Bootleg releases Neil has planned for 2021
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • I got a chance to sift through my brother's record collection.The Weld-record looks brand new. "I must have payed 8-9 dollars for it when we were teens". I hate my brother.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I got a chance to sift through my brother's record collection.The Weld-record looks brand new. "I must have payed 8-9 dollars for it when we were teens". I hate my brother.

Road Rock on vinyl... no offence, but I kinda hate your brother a little too!  =)

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    goldrush said:
    I got a chance to sift through my brother's record collection.The Weld-record looks brand new. "I must have payed 8-9 dollars for it when we were teens". I hate my brother.

Road Rock on vinyl... no offence, but I kinda hate your brother a little too!  =)

Heck yeah.  I say we all pile on that dude!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Mirrorball tomorrow?!?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
  • Is Jim Sheridan involved still with the film?

Watching a compressed-to-hell 540p stream is not what is intended ofc, but I thought it looked very bland and desaturated for an expensive shot 35mm film. They should really make the colours pop more. 

Just look at the screenshot above, looks like someone who's shot LOG and hasn't thrown on a LUT yet.

Hoping it gets a physical release in 4K that is not bitstarved etc. 

Pearl Jam never giving their super-8 VFC film the love it deserves is bad enough.
    Neil has added the original Crazy Horse version of ‘Cinnamon Girl’ to the NYA site.
    It has Danny Whitten on lead vocals and is definitely worth a listen!

(Tim Rogers)
    Way Down in a Rust Bucket is up for pre order. Out in Feb!!
    YES!! Thanks for the reminder - instant preorder for me. Love Ragged Glory-era Neil, this boxset looks awesome!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2021
    film directed by Bernard Shakey? is that for real?

edit: didn't realize that is his Jerome Turner. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2021
    So... I was under the impression that Ragged Glory was getting a repress/expanded release. Is this still the case?

Trying to keep up with Neil’s release schedule is not an easy task.

Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Pre ordered mine. One of my favorite phases in Neil's career. Such a loose record. Country Home sounds great from the show too. Can't wait to spin this.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I have this as an audience bootleg It is one of the greatest Crazy Horse shows of all time!   I don't have loads of dough to spend, but I did just place an order for the deluxe with the DVD, lp, cd because hell yes I need a DVD of Rust Bucket Crazy Horse. They are my favorite band, sorry PJ
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    So... I was under the impression that Ragged Glory was getting a repress/expanded release. Is this still the case?

Neil has said he has wanted to release a lot of things this year. But he also mentioned RG a couple of years back. 

He has LOTS of plans (Mirrorball too). Stuff happens when it happens. Unfortunately, you need to wait.

He originally had this slated for the first week of Dec. But vinyl delays attributed to this dropping in Feb, but also, he wanted to get out Greendale live, archives 2 and goldrush’s 50th too. 

Neil has plans, but he’s also up against production and time too. 

It will get out eventually

Neil has said he has wanted to release a lot of things this year. But he also mentioned RG a couple of years back. 

He has LOTS of plans (Mirrorball too). Stuff happens when it happens. Unfortunately, you need to wait.

He originally had this slated for the first week of Dec. But vinyl delays attributed to this dropping in Feb, but also, he wanted to get out Greendale live, archives 2 and goldrush’s 50th too. 

Neil has plans, but he’s also up against production and time too. 

It will get out eventually

Im aware of Neil’s plans, which are ambitious and all over the place. 

I’m subscribed to NYA, the music archive is awesome, but the rest is such a mess. Maybe it’s just the app. I did get a chuckle out the “Where am I?” navigation treasure map feature that has recently been added. Figured maybe someone here was keeping track of the release plans.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited January 2021
    What... a ... eh... DVD? That's mid 90s technology. Come on now. Atleast a bluray - for the audio.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    I'm happy this is dropping. I thought the only thing we were getting in the immediate future was the first bootleg in May.

What... a ... eh... DVD? That's mid 90s technology. Come on now. Atleast a bluray - for the audio.
    I think Neil said that blu-ray was too cost-prohibitive these days. That's why Archives II was cd only.
    You don't need really blu-ray for the audio anymore when you have the NYA site.

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm happy this is dropping. I thought the only thing we were getting in the immediate future was the first bootleg in May.

Young Shakespeare is still showing a March release date, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was bumped again.
    Hopefully the Eldorado release means that the fourth vinyl box (with Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, and This Note's For You) will be coming too

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    goldrush said:

Well, there goes a bunch of my money.  That's alright, I can eat later! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrush said:
    I think Neil said that blu-ray was too cost-prohibitive these days. That's why Archives II was cd only.
    What... ofc I would need a blu-ray for better audio codecs than DVD when watching a concert video. I don't want to push play on the DVD, and then sync the NYA sound at the exact same time. hah.

It should have been a UHD4K release.

or wait... is the DVD audio only... not the condert footage?
    goldrush said:
    What... ofc I would need a blu-ray for better audio codecs than DVD when watching a concert video. I don't want to push play on the DVD, and then sync the NYA sound at the exact same time. hah.

The DVD is the concert footage (including Cowgirl in the Sand, which is not on the CD or vinyl). The quality of the footage is pretty average as you can see from the trailer. Definitely not Blu-Ray quality.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited January 2021
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

The DVD is the concert footage (including Cowgirl in the Sand, which is not on the CD or vinyl). The quality of the footage is pretty average as you can see from the trailer. Definitely not Blu-Ray quality.
    Yes, that's why I wrote -- Spiritual_Chaos said:
    Low quality early 90s video doesn't barr anything from being released in as high quality as possible. I don't know the specifics about how the cost factors in... but the concert should be released as future proof as possible and not be released on a disc format released in 95.

Should have been Bluray.

I sure hope the Dublin show - which was shot on 35mm is released on Bluray or UHD and not on DVD turning the grain into mush and with worse sounding audio. That would be fucking idiotic. 

But the videoclip on NYA was in like 540p (for me atleast) and looked really bad. So who knows what he thinks. 

"Spotify is so bad for audio, I can't take it. Anyways, here is super-compressed video for you"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

"The above offerings will not be available in bluray as the resolution of the originals will not benefit from that format."