Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,312
    Neil only played 4 songs at Farm Aid last night, to make room for a surprise 3-song set by Bob Dylan. Very gracious of Neil, and I’m sure a lot of people loved it, but I’m not a fan of Dylan’s incoherent mumbling.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Neil only played 4 songs at Farm Aid last night, to make room for a surprise 3-song set by Bob Dylan. Very gracious of Neil, and I’m sure a lot of people loved it, but I’m not a fan of Dylan’s incoherent mumbling.
    BOB PLAYED GUITAR though. Lovely.

I saw Neil play Comes a Time and Are there anymore cowboys. He also played Heart of Gold. But didn't see a fourth song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I saw Neil play Comes a Time and Are there anymore cowboys. He also played Heart of Gold. But didn't see a fourth song.
    He played Love Earth as well

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    goldrush said:

What songs did he play on guitar? Full band or bob solo?!  I would have been happy if I was there!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    No big deal Bob's backing band was just The Heartbreakers!.  Looked like he was having more fun than I have seen him having in recent years.  He should pick up the guitar more!  And play with the Heartbreakers more!  That is the best version of Positively 4th Street in a longggg time.

Edit: just finished watching a YouTube of all the performances.  Maggie's Farm was rough...Positively 4th Street and Ballad of a Thin Man were incredible.  I would have loved to be at that show!
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    static111 said:
    No big deal Bob's backing band was just The Heartbreakers!.  Looked like he was having more fun than I have seen him having in recent years.  He should pick up the guitar more!  And play with the Heartbreakers more!  That is the best version of Positively 4th Street in a longggg time.

Edit: just finished watching a YouTube of all the performances.  Maggie's Farm was rough...Positively 4th Street and Ballad of a Thin Man were incredible.  I would have loved to be at that show!

In June of 1986, I saw Dylan when he did one of the two tours with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.   Damn, that was a great show!  Bob wore black leather pants and a frilly white shirt under black vest.  His guitar playing on that strat was great!  And of course the back up band did a pretty good job too, lol!  Man, Dylan, T.P., Heartbreakers... what a band!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Stone talks about Neil on loudersound.com:

"He's the ultimate songwriter, singer, lead guitarist and soundscaper... I don't think anyone can touch him": Why I ❤️ Neil Young, by Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard

Neil Young and Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam Shoreline Amphitheatre October 24 2010

"To be honest I hadn't really listened to Neil Young until he asked us to play with him on [Young's 1995 album] Mirrorball: that had a huge impact upon us and it was such a compliment. And when I went back and listened to all his albums they just blew me away. Even his most obscure records have songs that are so beautiful and so moving that you can't believe they weren't huge hits. 

"I've been listening to [1994's] Sleeps With Angels a lot, and that's such a beautiful record - Western Hero is gorgeous, Trans Amis incredible and Change Your Mind is one of the most fantastic songs ever written, it's just ridiculous in the way it starts to climb each time for his solos. And this is one of the records that people don't even talk about much! Every era of his career is great and he's still making cool, interesting records.

"We learned so much from playing with him. I've seen him play 30 or 40 times now and every time is an education. He's the ultimate songwriter, singer, lead guitarist and soundscaper, he's in that Dylan zone. The way he mixes up distortion and feedback and blues and folk and rock and soul and noise is just inspirational. The way he digs solos out, just throttling his guitar is masterful. And he has the heaviest groove around. He just sits back, and where he puts the downbeat just feels so great, so perfect. 

"Plus the simplicity of his chord changes is amazing. I'd have conversations with him where I'd say 'God Neil, I'm so excited, I love that new song where you're just playing three chords' and he'd go 'Yeah, you know lately I've been really into just two chords...' and it's like 'Wow! God!' When I was in high school [Mudhoney guitarist] Steve Turner said to me 'Don't learn to play your guitar, don't figure it out, just get a band and do it' and that was the most liberating thing I'd ever heard, I'd never in my life heard anyone talk about art that way. So when Neil Young says you should concentrate on writing songs, but just use two chords, that's incredibly liberating, it makes music sound like it's for everyone, not this complicated, untouchable thing. Imagine if people knew that they could write a hit song after just learning a chord or two, imagine how freeing that would be. 

"Neil's as old as hell, but he's like a kid in terms of how excited he is about music. He's the ultimate, I don't think anyone can touch him. And he's a gentleman, definitely one of the good guys."

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

"He's the ultimate songwriter, singer, lead guitarist and soundscaper... I don't think anyone can touch him": Why I ❤️ Neil Young, by Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard

Neil Young and Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam Shoreline Amphitheatre October 24 2010

"To be honest I hadn't really listened to Neil Young until he asked us to play with him on [Young's 1995 album] Mirrorball: that had a huge impact upon us and it was such a compliment. And when I went back and listened to all his albums they just blew me away. Even his most obscure records have songs that are so beautiful and so moving that you can't believe they weren't huge hits. 

"I've been listening to [1994's] Sleeps With Angels a lot, and that's such a beautiful record - Western Hero is gorgeous, Trans Amis incredible and Change Your Mind is one of the most fantastic songs ever written, it's just ridiculous in the way it starts to climb each time for his solos. And this is one of the records that people don't even talk about much! Every era of his career is great and he's still making cool, interesting records.

"We learned so much from playing with him. I've seen him play 30 or 40 times now and every time is an education. He's the ultimate songwriter, singer, lead guitarist and soundscaper, he's in that Dylan zone. The way he mixes up distortion and feedback and blues and folk and rock and soul and noise is just inspirational. The way he digs solos out, just throttling his guitar is masterful. And he has the heaviest groove around. He just sits back, and where he puts the downbeat just feels so great, so perfect. 

"Plus the simplicity of his chord changes is amazing. I'd have conversations with him where I'd say 'God Neil, I'm so excited, I love that new song where you're just playing three chords' and he'd go 'Yeah, you know lately I've been really into just two chords...' and it's like 'Wow! God!' When I was in high school [Mudhoney guitarist] Steve Turner said to me 'Don't learn to play your guitar, don't figure it out, just get a band and do it' and that was the most liberating thing I'd ever heard, I'd never in my life heard anyone talk about art that way. So when Neil Young says you should concentrate on writing songs, but just use two chords, that's incredibly liberating, it makes music sound like it's for everyone, not this complicated, untouchable thing. Imagine if people knew that they could write a hit song after just learning a chord or two, imagine how freeing that would be. 

"Neil's as old as hell, but he's like a kid in terms of how excited he is about music. He's the ultimate, I don't think anyone can touch him. And he's a gentleman, definitely one of the good guys."

Great article, thanks!  
    I'm fascinated by what Stone said about Neil advocating the idea of making uncomplicated music. Young is a master at making a relatively simple song sound like an epic work.  The ultimate statement that way, of course, is his famous (and amazing!) one note solo on "Down By The River".  Simplicity was never so astounding!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    fl247556fl247556 Posts: 272
    Thanks ! Very good article. 
    freddie vedder
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Great article, thanks!  
    I'm fascinated by what Stone said about Neil advocating the idea of making uncomplicated music. Young is a master at making a relatively simple song sound like an epic work.  The ultimate statement that way, of course, is his famous (and amazing!) one note solo on "Down By The River".  Simplicity was never so astounding!
    Cinnamon girl I believe has the one note D solo.   I think there are a few more notes in DBTR
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Good call^
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Great article, thanks!  
    Cinnamon girl I believe has the one note D solo.   I think there are a few more notes in DBTR

Utterly and completely embarrassing!!!  You are so right.  If this were the Neil Young version of the Monopoly Board game, I'd have just drawn the "Go to Jail" card, "do not pass go".  :lol:

embarrassed gifs  WiffleGif

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    Sorry to derail the thread for a moment, but Brian are you the photographer named in this post?

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Sorry to derail the thread for a moment, but Brian are you the photographer named in this post?

Yes, but, but, but... if I may ask, where did you find this?  There were pirated copies of one my Hendrix photos being sold on eBay a while back that did not acknowledge me as the photographer. (Sold illegally, I might add, as explained below).  I was steamed when I saw that, messaged the seller, and although I never heard back from them, they took the photos down.  So this has me perplexed.

The story behind these photos is that during the first semester of my senior year in high school, a friend of mine told he was getting tickets to one of the Hendrix Winterland gigs and was I interested?  I immediately said (probably almost yelled, lol),  "YES"! 
    So I borrowed my folks Kodak camera loaded with color slide film and took about a dozen shots (that was all that was left on the roll).  I later found out, much to my chagrin, that Jimi found it extremely distracting to have people in the audience snapping off photos.  Sorry, Jimi!
    So those slides traveled with me far and wide through many years, criss-crossing the country a number of times, passing along a winding, wandering life with me through two marriages and into a third (third time's a charm!), and somehow remained intact.  So when I finally decided to write my music memoir (published through a private press in 2018), I wanted the best of the photos to go into my book.  At the same time, I decided these slides had used up most of their 9 cat-like lives and it was time to get them into the Hendrix archives.  I made contact with Hendrix LLC's John McDermott and cut a deal with him and the LLC to sell the slides to them with the agreement that they would take over the rights to the photos with the exception of my being able to publish then in my book.   To be honest, I probably caved in rather easily- I did not get paid much for them- but I was and am glad to have the photos included in the Hendrix archives.  So if the person who was selling those photos is at it again, they could be in for some deep shit with Hendrix LLC.  It could cost them big-time!

But now that I look more closely, I see the "Authentic Hendrix" LLC logo on the photo.  Oh how I hope that is legit!  I would love it if that photo (one of the best) actually showed up on a legit LLC site or product.  That would thrill my soul!

Thanks for telling me about this and anything more you can tell me would be greatly appreciated! 

• Options
    ^^^ I did a little looking around and found it on Twitter (X).  I haven't been on X for a while  I guess I'll check in more often now, lol.  Looks legit and that is SO cool that they post it.  Thanks again for the heads up, DarthMaeglin

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,985
    brianlux said:

Yes, but, but, but... if I may ask, where did you find this?  There were pirated copies of one my Hendrix photos being sold on eBay a while back that did not acknowledge me as the photographer. (Sold illegally, I might add, as explained below).  I was steamed when I saw that, messaged the seller, and although I never heard back from them, they took the photos down.  So this has me perplexed.

The story behind these photos is that during the first semester of my senior year in high school, a friend of mine told he was getting tickets to one of the Hendrix Winterland gigs and was I interested?  I immediately said (probably almost yelled, lol),  "YES"! 
    So I borrowed my folks Kodak camera loaded with color slide film and took about a dozen shots (that was all that was left on the roll).  I later found out, much to my chagrin, that Jimi found it extremely distracting to have people in the audience snapping off photos.  Sorry, Jimi!
    So those slides traveled with me far and wide through many years, criss-crossing the country a number of times, passing along a winding, wandering life with me through two marriages and into a third (third time's a charm!), and somehow remained intact.  So when I finally decided to write my music memoir (published through a private press in 2018), I wanted the best of the photos to go into my book.  At the same time, I decided these slides had used up most of their 9 cat-like lives and it was time to get them into the Hendrix archives.  I made contact with Hendrix LLC's John McDermott and cut a deal with him and the LLC to sell the slides to them with the agreement that they would take over the rights to the photos with the exception of my being able to publish then in my book.   To be honest, I probably caved in rather easily- I did not get paid much for them- but I was and am glad to have the photos included in the Hendrix archives.  So if the person who was selling those photos is at it again, they could be in for some deep shit with Hendrix LLC.  It could cost them big-time!

But now that I look more closely, I see the "Authentic Hendrix" LLC logo on the photo.  Oh how I hope that is legit!  I would love it if that photo (one of the best) actually showed up on a legit LLC site or product.  That would thrill my soul!

Thanks for telling me about this and anything more you can tell me would be greatly appreciated! 
    That is a great story, Brian. And a great photo!
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    brianlux said:
    ^^^ I did a little looking around and found it on Twitter (X).  I haven't been on X for a while  I guess I'll check in more often now, lol.  Looks legit and that is SO cool that they post it.  Thanks again for the heads up, DarthMaeglin

I can’t add anything beyond that it popped up on the official Hendrix Instagram page (I love that they put it up on the other platforms too), so I assumed it was legit, especially when I zoomed in on the bottom right corner.

That’s a fantastic story and I’ll add a slight note of jealousy for your attendance at the show (I wasn’t even a gleam in daddy’s eye yet so I think I have a legitimate reason for missing out, lol)!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,857
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Wow, great story  @brianlux and pretty incredible that you're a part of the Hendrix arc :sunglasses:
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks GG.  What really cool is I think Experience Hendrix did a nice job with it.  And after about 5 years, I had kind of forgotten that John McDermott mentioned they might use one of the photos some day, so I was really thrilled to see this!
    jjflash said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Wow, great story  @brianlux and pretty incredible that you're a part of the Hendrix arc :sunglasses:

Thanks, jj.  I was a lucky kid who ended up in the right place at the right time for some pretty amazing music.  And Jimi Hendrix was right at the top of the list!

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,470
    brianlux said:

That is a hell of a story, and a very nice Photo(especially when you consider the year, and Technology back then)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    edited October 2023
    Buy his book people. Good trip
  • Options
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

That is a hell of a story, and a very nice Photo(especially when you consider the year, and Technology back then)

Thanks, cutz.  Yeah, it was not a high tech camera, lol.  And carting those slides all over the place for 50 years, often stored in all kinds of varying climate conditions, before finally having them scanned.  I'm kind of glad to no longer be responsible for them, lol!

Loujoe said:
    Buy his book people. Good trip

You are too kind, Lou.  :smile:

• Options
    New album?
  • Options
    New album?

Just saw this.  Looks interesting.
    "Young describes BEFORE AND AFTER succinctly: “The feeling is captured, not in pieces, but as a whole piece — designed to be listened to that way. This music presentation defies shuffling, digital organization, separation. Only for listening. That says it all”.

• Options
    Before and After LP

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I'm The Ocean / Homefires / Burned video is up

https://youtu.be/up6bU8govp4?si=EdDewj1ba-ojcBaw

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Having been conservative with spending money on Neil's vinyl output lately, I will definitely be grabbing this one!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    Having been conservative with spending money on Neil's vinyl output lately, I will definitely be grabbing this one!

I'm kind of on the fence on this one, mainly because I really don't have the money to add on another room to store all the new Neil Young releases.
    goofy face emoji from emojiswiki