“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    Having been conservative with spending money on Neil's vinyl output lately, I will definitely be grabbing this one!

I'm kind of on the fence on this one, mainly because I really don't have the money to add on another room to store all the new Neil Young releases.
    goofy face emoji from emojiswiki

Yeah he puts out too much product, I like that it appears that this is a document of a recent solo tour rather than another 20 records from the GD 1970's
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Some people just don't look natural with a Strat!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    static111 said:
    goldrush said:

That was my exact thought when I saw this.  Neil Young with a Strat?  But notice, it's not plugged in.  I think he was just farting around, lol.
    Nice pair of old tweed Fender amps behind him.

Sure would love a good quality live Crazy Horse (Nils era) album from around the time of Colorado.  Didn't they do some gigs just before COVID?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    goldrush said:

That was my exact thought when I saw this.  Neil Young with a Strat?  But notice, it's not plugged in.  I think he was just farting around, lol.

Sure would love a good quality live Crazy Horse (Nils era) album from around the time of Colorado.  Didn't they do some gigs just before COVID?
    I think they did some in of all places Fresno when Nils took over for Pancho Pre Pandemic, like a week residency. I remember it streamed on NYA.  

Back to the Strat...He's played a lot of guitars and they all look like they belong, Flying V, Trey Anastasio's Languedoc, Gretsches, Old Black, His Teles...but man that Strat...I feel the way Neil looks whenever I try to play a Strat.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    edited October 2023
    Frank Zappa sings about a strat
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    goldrush said:

I think they did some in of all places Fresno when Nils took over for Pancho Pre Pandemic, like a week residency. I remember it streamed on NYA.  

Back to the Strat...He's played a lot of guitars and they all look like they belong, Flying V, Trey Anastasio's Languedoc, Gretsches, Old Black, His Teles...but man that Strat...I feel the way Neil looks whenever I try to play a Strat.

Fresno- right!  I saw some of that on YouTube or something.  Oh, would I love to have a good sound board recording on a quality vinyl pressing of those shows!  I love, love, love Poncho forever with the Horse, of course, but Nils has been in and out of that scene (even longer, come to think of it) and yet he's never really gotten his due- and that's going clear back to Grin and onward.  I'll never understand that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    There's just too much with 14 neil younng-releases every year and now Pearl Jam is gonna release all their albums with like 3-4 coloured vinykl variants and 45. 33. 72. 144 rpm and bla bla.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,311
    There's just too much with 14 neil younng-releases every year and now Pearl Jam is gonna release all their albums with like 3-4 coloured vinykl variants and 45. 33. 72. 144 rpm and bla bla.
    The colour variant reissues are getting annoying now. I’d rather PJ went back to the big boxes that they started then ditched. I’ve already got a bit of buyer’s remorse over the colour LO2L and No Code reissues that I didn’t need, I didn’t bother to go for the red Yield or the Vs 30.

I’d much rather spend the money on Neil vinyl these days  =)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    Guy, you don’t need to buy colored vinyl or every variant. It’s just meant to be fun. 
  • Options
    Interesting comments form Nil Lofgren regarding making Tonight's the Night (The rest of the interview/article is in the Nils thread.  Check it out- it's really cool!)

"I remember when I recorded Tonight’s the Night with Neil Young and David Briggs, my two greatest mentors, it was an anti-production record and also a wake album because all our heroes and friends were dying. We were in a rehearsal hall in East Hollywood. They knocked a hole in the wall, ran a remote truck line and said, “You’re going to be playing and singing live, and when Neil gets the vocal, you’re done—no one’s allowed to change a note.” Not only that, but they didn’t want us to know the songs too well. That’s because musicians will think, “Oh, here’s my great part for the verse.” Then every time there’s a verse, that’s what you’re going to hear.

So, we’d drink tequila and smoke a little Thai weed from dinner until midnight to commiserate. We’d lost Danny Whitten and Bruce Berry, as well as Hendrix, Joplin, Brian Jones and all these people. The hippie freelove movement of the late ‘60s turned pretty dark.

Neil would show us three or four songs, then we’d go play them, and me and Ralphie [Molina] and Billy [Talbot] and Ben Keith would sing. We didn’t really know them, but that was the theme. That type of approach was cathartic. The idea was we don’t want you to know what you’re doing, just stay down in it and react with your musical skills, not your mind. The music and the madness, especially when we hit the road, healed us and helped us survive the grief and the rage of all these deaths around us."

• Options
    After some confusion, Neil has now confirmed that Before And After is not a live album from the Coastal Tour (but there will be one… eventually… maybe…)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The reason for the delay with Archives III…

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ST66483 said:

Wow!  If true, what a lucky little group of people!

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626
    brianlux said:
    ST66483 said:

Wow!  If true, what a lucky little group of people!
    Looks like it was true! Not sure how accurate the setlist is…

Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Happy Birthday (78) Neil Young!

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,842
    I NEED to take my fiancé to see NY&CH. It took me so long, but she finally came around to enjoying them (and Neil solo). Hell, I only saw Neil with the Horse once back in 98. Best show I've ever witnessed. 

Over the summer when Neil went on the solo Coastal I didn't learn of it until a few days after tickets were on sale. Maybe a week later. I would have thought subscribing yo NYA and having the app would have helped alert me.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    FOCUS ON

DUBLIN 95 ULTRA HD BLURAY DOLY ATMOS GRAIN INTACT DOLBY VISION 
  • Options
  • Options

Kinda cool, but those missed notes- ouch.  Jimi missed a few as well, but fewer misses and his rendition was live and impromptu.  Try again, Neil.

• Options
    Listened to Barn again to day...
    Love Hearts GIF - Love Hearts Floating Hearts - Discover  Share GIFs

• Options
    Neil hosted another Zoom call for Patron subscribers. Jason, one of the moderators on a Neil FB group, has posted these notes about the upcoming Archives III box set:

So during today's Zoom call, he spilled a ton of beans on Vol. III

Essentially it comes to "17 discs" and "four or five film" (honestly it's not clear if this is now a combined CD/Blu-ray set, or if the plan is still to sell individual CD and Blu-Ray versions). Some of the "discs" in Vol. III are two disc sets, as well. Also about halfway through he started reading the tracks that are one each disc, though sometimes it seemed like he would trail off, or stop halfway through reading a track list to get to the next disc (maybe on purpose so as to not reveal everything? That would make sense; don't spill the beans on everything).

So Vol. III (from what he shared to us) is as follows:

Across the Water, Part 1 and 2: a two disc set ("albums and movies") that represents the '76 tour previously covered by Odeon-Budokan. He mentioned it contains songs from Odeon-Budokan, his shows in Hammersmith, Glasgow, and "somewhere else which I can't remember."

Hitchhikin' Judy: this covers the fall '76 tour ("which was a solo opening and then an intermission and then Crazy Horse'). He wasn't clear on if it contains both the solo acoustic performances and the CH performances, or even if any of the songs that appear on Hitchhiker (or anything else from this era) will appear.

Snapshot in Time: The "audio verite" audio documentary of him rehearsing with Nicolette and Linda before they began recording the songs that are on side A of American Stars 'N' Bars (a version of "Barefoot Floors" is supposed to be one of the tracks here).

Winward Passage: A live album of Ducks songs recorded live in Santa Cruz (hopefully "Cryin' Eyes" is on this still, as he said it would be earlier this year).

Oceanside/Countryside: The album he made before Comes a Time that he recorded solo acoustic before overdubbing additional guitars. There's 12 tracks (of which only "1 or 2 that have surfaced" previously). Many of the original versions of the songs that are on Comes a Time can be found here.

Union Hall: the Give to the Wind Orchestra rehearsal for their show in Miami. "Lady Wingshot" will be on here. Once he went back and read the track list, it was as follows:

Comes a Time
    Love/Art Blues
    Union Hall Intro
    Are You Ready for the Country?
    Dance Dance Dance/Love is a Rose
    Old Man
    The Losing End
    Heart of Gold
    Already One
    Lady Wingshot
    Four Strong Winds
    Down By the River
    Alabama
    Are You Ready for the Country? (Reprise)
    Intro to Comes a Time Outtakes
    We're Havin' Some Fun Now (with Nicolette)
    Please Help Me I'm Falling
    Motorcycle Mama

So the Union Hall rehearsal seems smack-dab in the middle of Comes a Time album tracks and outtakes (also bummer if the Comes a Time session version of "Daughters" isn't included).

Boarding House 1 and Boarding House 2: now a two disc set, with Boarding House 2 including his session with DEVO that he did in the afternoon before one of his shows at the venue (the first, I'm assuming, is the original compilation of live performances from the various shows he did). "Hey Hey, My My" with DEVO will be included. both the DEVO session and Boarding House performances will be included in a film.

Sedan Delivery: covers the Rust Never Sleeps period, but "it's different tracks selected from RNS," and it has a "wacky cover." Tracks that will appear include:

Bright Sunny Day (not sure what version of this song it will be. Possibly a rehearsal/studio recording?)
    The Loner
    Welfare Mothers
    Lotta Love
    Sedan Delivery
    Cortez the Killer
    Tonight's the Night
    Powderfinger
    When You Dance (I Can Really Love)
    Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Coastline: covers the Hawks & Doves and Re-ac-tor era from July 1980-July 1981. It has "a lot of songs on it." Tracks that will appear on this disc include:

Coastline
    Stayin' Power
    Hawks and Doves
    Comin' Apart at Every Nail
    Union Man
    Winter Winds
    Southern Pacific
    Opera Star
    Rapid Transit
    Sunny Inside
    Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleeze
    Get Up Now

Trans EP and Johnny's Island: another two disc set. The Trans EP will be the vocodor tracks from the album isolated on their own ("it takes you to that place and you stay there").

Sample and Hold
    Mr. Soul
    Computer Cowboy
    We R in Control
    Computer Age
    Transformer Man

Johnny's Island appears to contain the three other songs from Trans from the Hawaii sessions. Tracks that will appear here include:

1. Johnny

2. Island in the Sun

3. Silver and Gold

4. If You Got Love

5. Raining in Paradise

6. Big Pearl

7. Hold on to Your Love

8. Soul of a Woman

9. Love Hotel

("Like an Inca" and "Little Thing Called Love" weren't read, but he previous said the three songs from Trans that are from the Commercial Recorder sessions will be on Johnny's Island)

Evolution: covers Jan 83-Jan 84. He says that this disc has "a lot of different songs with a lot of different feelings," because he "started off doing 'California Sunset' and 'My Boy,' then we went into the Shocking Pinks period, and then came out of that and into (umm...) 'Hard Luck Stories,' 'I've Got a Problem,' 'Your Love,' and 'If You Got Love.' A lot of previously unreleased originals."

Touch the Night: a compilation of the two shows from Feb 7th, 1984 with Crazy Horse.

Rock Rock Rock (or as he called it, Rock)
    So Tired
    Violent Side
    I Got a Problem
    Your Love
    Barstool Blues
    Welfare Mothers
    Touch the Night

(he stopped reading here, but IMO this seems like there should be more tracks, and I wouldn't be surprised if this tries to duplicate the setlist from these two shows more thoroughly)

Grey Riders: another two disc set that covers June 1984-September 1985.

Amber Jean (sounds like this will be a version recorded at the Saddle Rack on June 6th, 1984 during the early show)
    Get Back to the Country
    Are You Ready for the Country? (from A Treasure)
    It Might Have Been (from A Treasure)
    Soul of a Women
    Let Your Fingers Do the Walkin'
    Misfits (a previously unreleased live version)
    Nothing is Perfect (a previously unreleased version)
    Time Off for Good Behavior
    This Old House (original version)
    Southern Pacific (from A Treasure)

He then talked about what he meant by an "original version" and trailed off, so I think the track list is incomplete (because this can't be an 2 disc set that has just 11 tracks on it). Plus he recently said                that the original version of "Interstate" will appear on Vol. III, as well.

Road of Plenty: It seems like the focus has shifted to covering the Landing on Water/Life period, based on the tracks Neil mentioned (although it's possible that this tracklist could be incomplete, as well).

Drifter
    Hippie Dream
    Bad News Beat
    People on the Street
    Weight of the World
    Pressure
    Road of Plenty
    We Never Danced (in a previously unreleased "original" version)
    When Your Lonely Heart Breaks (an "unbelievably great record" of that song)

Summer Songs: This closes out the set.

Intro
    American Dream
    Someday
    For the Love of Man
    One of These Days
    Wrecking Ball
    Hangin' on a Limb
    Name of Love
    The Last of His Kind

And before all of this, he showed us his Vol. III notes, and the cover page mentioned that this will cover 1976-1989, but this set seems to end nicely on 1987 with Summer Songs. So it's possible that some of the songs he did in '89 (like "Crime in the City" and the SNL rehearsals) that were to appear on Road of Plenty when he compiled it could very likely still be on this set.

This is shaping up to be a huge and, therefore, crazy expensive set! Better start saving those pennies…

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    And if all that wasn’t enough, these images of the Dume vinyl release have also surfaced (no release date announced yet though):

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    goldrush said:
    And if all that wasn’t enough, these images of the Dume vinyl release have also surfaced (no release date announced yet though):

Do you know, are the Zuma songs here different versions than the original Zuma release, or is this Zuma with added songs? 

• Options
    Zuma with additional songs. 

Its just the vinyl version of the disc from Archives 2.

• Options
    this was supposed to be out in October. But I'm guessing they pushed it back because of Before and After. I bet this drops early next year.

• Options
    Vol 3 looks great. But like the other 2 I will only DL. I'll buy if they do a vinyl version though.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Zuma with additional songs. 

Its just the vinyl version of the disc from Archives 2.

Because I have Zuma and all but a couple of the extras elsewhere, looks like I'll pass.  I'm guessing if I had everything Neil Young has put out on vinyl and nothing else but the Beatles Box, my record collection would look something like this:
    IMG

Post edited by brianlux on