The Food Thread

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Thanks. Beef, tomatoes, onion, rice and parmesan..  Mmmm. 
    That sounds amazing. I love stuffed peppers. I should try to make them sometime. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    They were tasty GG! I'm sure there are many variations out there. This one was basic but definitely hit the spot.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ve been remiss with this thread. 

So the other day, I made a pan of roasted vegetables - asparagus, rapini, baby red potatoes and a head of garlic. I had a parsnip too but couldn’t do shit in terms of cutting it, so I tossed that one in frustration.  

Any suggestions for something similar? I was thinking turnips, and I hear they’re not as sweet as parsnips (I don’t like naturally sweet or sweetened vegs). 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    hedonist said:

So the other day, I made a pan of roasted vegetables - asparagus, rapini, baby red potatoes and a head of garlic. I had a parsnip too but couldn’t do shit in terms of cutting it, so I tossed that one in frustration.  

Any suggestions for something similar? I was thinking turnips, and I hear they’re not as sweet as parsnips (I don’t like naturally sweet or sweetened vegs). 
    Roasting cauliflower or broccoli can be very nice. I think The Times had a recipe a while back.

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    hedonist said:

Rutabaga, fennel, beets.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Agree on those stated....have some great ways for Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower.  Both easy and both delicious....and I normally don't care for cauliflower.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    1/2 to 3/4 inch slices of cabbage roast wonderfully, a little salt, pepper, and olive oil really suits...throw some lardons in there and use a bit of extra pepper and I'm in hillbilly heaven.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    And you pull through! Thank you!

I shall try those (minus the sprouts ;) )
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    No sprouts?

I made okra this week - it was so fucking bomb.  Forgot how much I enjoy okra.  
    Simply toss in a little oil and then salt em....425 for 15.  
    Holy shit, heavenly.
    I have yet to try a version I like. 

But okra! Didn’t even occur to me. And it’s chock full of nutrients. 

I feel like roasting has opened a new culinary (and healthier) door for me. 
    Any love for canned fishes?

Standard here, Albacore.  A salad with celery, shallots, scallions, kosher dills, castelvetrano olives, mayo, and spices.  
    Leave in the fridge for a few hours (or better, for a day or two) and this is a righteous lunch.  Fill a lettuce wrap, put on toast, saltines, or even plain with a hard boiled egg or two.
    Will last three-four lunches and is cheap & easy.  (How I like 'em!)

That looks and sounds delicious.

I actually was craving a tuna melt of all things yesterday.
    Hobbes said:
    That looks and sounds delicious.

I actually was craving a tuna melt of all things yesterday.
    Tuna melts rock

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624

Standard here, Albacore.  A salad with celery, shallots, scallions, kosher dills, castelvetrano olives, mayo, and spices.  
    Leave in the fridge for a few hours (or better, for a day or two) and this is a righteous lunch.  Fill a lettuce wrap, put on toast, saltines, or even plain with a hard boiled egg or two.

I love tuna salad. This looks delicious. I would make a wrap out of it with some avocado, chopped tomato, and lettuce. Yum. 
    GlowGirl said:

I love tuna salad. This looks delicious. I would make a wrap out of it with some avocado, chopped tomato, and lettuce. Yum. 
    That does sound good.  Will try cado with it....I live cado but don't usually put with the tuna.  Lettuce and tomato are a standard.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Yeah looks good. How different tasking is albacore to tuna?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah looks good. How different tasking is albacore to tuna?
    Ah, bit but not tremendous.  Skipjack vs. Albacore.  I do like skipjack (traditional canned tuna) but I prefer packed in water vs packed in oil for tunas and the skipjack has to be treated more, to make it dry enough for what I want.  (Water essentially squeezed out). The albacore is in bigger chunks and more firm.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    I can’t do Mayo.    I ll throw up if I taste it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sub out mayo for mashed-up avocado. As stated above, avocado in tuna salad is delicious.
    Canter's tuna is the shit - on challah, with some lettuce?  Damn!

You've got us all craving a tuna sandwich or melt now, F Me.  Thanks a lot.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Yeah I had my wife add tuna to our next grocery delivery order. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hobbes said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sub out mayo for mashed-up avocado. As stated above, avocado in tuna salad is delicious.
    I didn’t see that, good call!!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah there are a number of subs but if you enjoy avocados there is not much better than a good cado.
    Yeah I had my wife add tuna to our next grocery delivery order. haha
    Well done!

Since my husband “leaves the ordering to me” (read: the app is on my phone plus he can’t be arsed to do so), I just ordered in a tuna melt from a great local deli 😛
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    Chicken limone, penne with vodka sauce and caprese salad. It was damn good and I’m stuffed. Leftovers for days. 

Looks awesome!!!
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    bbiggs said:
    Chicken limone, penne with vodka sauce and caprese salad. It was damn good and I’m stuffed. Leftovers for days. 

Damn that looks good! Well done.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Huevos Rancheros totally hitting the spot! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Always, one of my favorite breakfast meals!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Always, one of my favorite breakfast meals!
    It’s so damn good I held back I should of had a Bloody Mary but will for Xmas morning brunch this week! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....