Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889

Last night I made my grandmother’s sweet and sour meatball recipe. It’s so good. My mom always makes it as an appetizer for holiday meals. But I decided to make a meatball sandwich. Yummy!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I love homemade sweet and sour sauce. I put it on fried eggs with fully cooked yolks.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    I love homemade sweet and sour sauce. I put it on fried eggs with fully cooked yolks.
    The sauce is really good. The one I made is not the Asian style (like on sweet and sour pork). The recipe is an old Eastern European recipe. How do you make yours?  The one I make is made with green pepper, onion, tomato purée, lemon juice, brown sugar, oregano, garlic, water, and raisins. 
  • Options
    edited March 29
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    The sauce is really good. The one I made is not the Asian style (like on sweet and sour pork). The recipe is an old Eastern European recipe. How do you make yours?  The one I make is made with green pepper, onion, tomato purée, lemon juice, brown sugar, oregano, garlic, water, and raisins. 

I tend to follow Chinese recipes, but I doctor them up a bit. I started with this: https://www.adailyfood.com/chinese-egg-fried-with-sweet-sour-sauce/  But tend to add more vinegar, less starch and I use a normal 12" fry pan. If I have black vinegar on hand I love to add that. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Creative. Meatballs pre-made? Crock pot? 
    I just had empenadas with ground beef and raisins hidden in there. Added a unique sweetness I'd never think to use.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    I just had empenadas with ground beef and raisins hidden in there. Added a unique sweetness I'd never think to use.
    Nope. Meatballs were not premade. No crockpot. It only takes about an hour total in a regular pot. I mixed the ground beef with an egg and breadcrumbs. The sauce takes a while to get the right balance. First it was a bit too sour so I added more brown sugar. Then it was too sweet so I added more tomato purée and water and a bit more lemon juice and so on until I got it right. I have been eating this since I was a kid so I know how it is supposed to taste so I was aiming for that. But anyone else could stop adjusting when they liked the taste. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    That’s Chilean empanadas ground meat mix with hard boiled eggs & raisins! Did you bake or fry the empanadas? We only fry empanadas when we fill them with cheese & shrimp or cheese and quince jam 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    These I got at a Columbian joint. They were fried. Not sure if eggs were in there. Yum
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Nope. Meatballs were not premade. No crockpot. It only takes about an hour total in a regular pot. I mixed the ground beef with an egg and breadcrumbs. The sauce takes a while to get the right balance. First it was a bit too sour so I added more brown sugar. Then it was too sweet so I added more tomato purée and water and a bit more lemon juice and so on until I got it right. I have been eating this since I was a kid so I know how it is supposed to taste so I was aiming for that. But anyone else could stop adjusting when they liked the taste. 
    Nice. Something I'd like to try. :) 
  • Options
    I also love a picadillo with raisins. It is so easy to make.

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Nice. Something I'd like to try. :) 
    I can PM you the recipe if you want.

• Options
    Sure thx 😊 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Sure thx 😊 
    Done!

• Options
    Wife made this apple pudding Chilean recipe it’s topped with merengue made from egg whites 😋
  • Options
    Dang!
    Thanks for sharing your family recipe GG. Way to pass on some uniqueness my way.

picked up some perogies from a new place. One onion potato and the other has pork shoulder in it. Got smoked kielbasa and kraut too. Good for a few days!
  • Options
    beer braised. Decided to cook outside for a change :/ 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Beautiful!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Loujoe said:
    Dang!
    Thanks for sharing your family recipe GG. Way to pass on some uniqueness my way.

picked up some perogies from a new place. One onion potato and the other has pork shoulder in it. Got smoked kielbasa and kraut too. Good for a few days!
    Love perogies. We have a few diners in my neighborhood that make great perogies. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    If you're in search of a way to kick your sandwich up a notch or 12, seek out this:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    big ol hunk of pork. Dry rub. Beer. Onion. Time. So good.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    big ol hunk of pork. Dry rub. Beer. Onion. Time. So good.
    Nice I’m doing a Pernil this weekend it’s a pork shoulder but I’m brining it overnight 
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Stuffed zucchini with ground beef onions garlic and spinach! I blanched the zucchini to soften up to carve out the middle and incorporate that in with the meat filling topped with Parmesan cheese! Bake for another 30 minutes to brown the cheese 
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • Options
    Yo!!^
  • Options
    edited April 15
    I brined this half pork shoulder overnight and made a dry rub massage olive oil and rub and into oven 350 for an hour! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • Options
    Nice work. No need to sear? I seared my pork but the sugar in the rub burned a bit.
  • Options

Tonight I made a recipe called Egg roll Skillet. It is basically the inside of the egg roll without the deep fried wrapper. I used ground turkey instead of pork to lighten it up a bit. It came out pretty good. But definitely felt like it was missing something. I have a jar of King Pao sauce in my fridge. Maybe I will add that when I heat up the leftovers. But overall it was good. Lots of ginger and garlic. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Nice work. No need to sear? I seared my pork but the sugar in the rub burned a bit.
    GlowGirl said:

Tonight I made a recipe called Egg roll Skillet. It is basically the inside of the egg roll without the deep fried wrapper. I used ground turkey instead of pork to lighten it up a bit. It came out pretty good. But definitely felt like it was missing something. I have a jar of King Pao sauce in my fridge. Maybe I will add that when I heat up the leftovers. But overall it was good. Lots of ginger and garlic. 
    Nice I love mixes like that you can eat that with just about anything maybe some sesame noodles ? Joe no I didn’t sear it since it brined overnight the skin came out nice and crispy! Really tasty 
  • Options
    Alright thx^ love the creativity here. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Alright thx^ love the creativity here. 
    Me changing your name not good sorry Loujoe