Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    benjs said:
    Damn this thread needs to drop to the bottom.

538 is like the QAnon of the left. Biden won by less than one percent in the tipping point state. If biden was one percent more liberal, trump would have cruised to victory. No forecaster predicted that.
    Polls lead to aggregates which lead to simulations which inform forecasts. Forecasts predict error by watching prior error and finding out how error itself trends, as well as watching individual cohort behaviours. Simulations arrive everywhere on the spectrum from Trump winning by landslides, to Biden winning by landslides, and every outcome in between. By projecting 91% odds of winning, 538 are explicitly stating that 91% of their 40,000 simulations, once error is accounted for, yielded a Biden victory. This is one of those outcomes. You're trying to argue with math, and I'm not sure I understand why. 
    desperate to be right
    Liberal QAnon made its way to Manitoba? I would never expect a Canadian to understand  the trump phenomenon 

Silver got shamed. Wrong outside MoE in 9 of 11 key states. Lecture me he is not a pollster. Then after he screws up, lecture me because he can’t do a good job because the polls suck.

He has a lot of interesting articles and writers but he made hundreds of factual errors this year and should get out of the prediction business. No the pollsters did not compensate for NCWs. No Biden did no make major widespread  strides in suburbs except for a small shift in a tiny handful  of metro areas that prevented a disaster. Completely missed an R+22 shift in the most important swing state metro area,  Most voters did the same thing as last time, as many warned him was going to happen, but Nate knows better. Throw away 39,999 of those simulations, as they were absolute garbage and almost cost Biden the win.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    benjs said:
    Damn this thread needs to drop to the bottom.

538 is like the QAnon of the left. Biden won by less than one percent in the tipping point state. If biden was one percent more liberal, trump would have cruised to victory. No forecaster predicted that.
    Polls lead to aggregates which lead to simulations which inform forecasts. Forecasts predict error by watching prior error and finding out how error itself trends, as well as watching individual cohort behaviours. Simulations arrive everywhere on the spectrum from Trump winning by landslides, to Biden winning by landslides, and every outcome in between. By projecting 91% odds of winning, 538 are explicitly stating that 91% of their 40,000 simulations, once error is accounted for, yielded a Biden victory. This is one of those outcomes. You're trying to argue with math, and I'm not sure I understand why. 
    desperate to be right
    Liberal QAnon made its way to Manitoba? I would never expect a Canadian to understand  the trump phenomenon 

Silver got shamed. Wrong outside MoE in 9 of 11 key states. Lecture me he is not a pollster. Then after he screws up, lecture me because he can’t do a good job because the polls suck.

He has a lot of interesting articles and writers but he made hundreds of factual errors this year and should get out of the prediction business. No the pollsters did not compensate for NCWs. No Biden did no make major widespread  strides in suburbs except for a small shift in a tiny handful  of metro areas that prevented a disaster. Completely missed an R+22 shift in the most important swing state metro area,  Most voters did the same thing as last time, as many warned him was going to happen, but Nate knows better. Throw away 39,999 of those simulations, as they were absolute garbage and almost cost Biden the win.
    You clearly paid no attention. Silver constantly said that things would be tighter if polls were adjusted to margins of error. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Liberal Q.  That is funny.  As in, dumb as hell, but the term itself makes me laugh.

At least there is that....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited November 2020
    As dumb as wanting to be called an action that would lead to your demise?
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Right.  ?>?>?

You started a thread to share Trump's genius.....you may have better luck finding people who agree with you there. 
    Or, maybe not.  Time will tell. 
    If not, you should come back over here and argue with everyone some more.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited November 2020
    I love nerding out on this shit.

When I check his numbers I don't really get caught up in his electoral vote prediction, though you definitely have to look at specific states (swing) for the overall prediction of a win, or his %s. 84 out of 16 still means 16 times out of 100 is a Trump win, which is not nothing. If you were rolling dice and hit on the first roll (Election Day) then game over.

Personally, I'll look at his popular vote prediction and then specifically look at FL, PA, MI, WI, AZ. The thought is anything over 6 points is a win. I like to play it conservative and say 7. Right now he has Biden at 7.9 - I really don't think 130+ electoral margin is going to happen, though I think a 100+ could definitely happen. If Biden gets FL it's a done deal. If he loses FL but regains PA it's also a lock because I don't see him losing 2 of PA/WI/MI like how 2016 happened. The only way that happens is if AZ doesn't push over like so many think then all of a sudden NE2 comes into play (Obamaha).

Pretty wild to see The Economist has Biden up to 91% to win the electoral vote. Any time %'s get to 95% you can call it an absolute certainty (depending on the source and this is a good source).

To me, if it's a blowout electorally (via the popular vote it will be a blowout), this is what it looks like:

Click the map to create your own at 270toWin.com

But this is my realistic prediction:

Alright, everyone who posted a map show it. This is what I had. I was off by Georgia and NE-2. I'll quibble you can flip ME and NE districts here.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Liberal Q.  That is funny.  As in, dumb as hell, but the term itself makes me laugh.

At least there is that....
    I'm Liberal Q. who knew? LOL. maybe I'm the one who spray painted the save the children hashtag on that railway overpass on my way to work. 

I guess I just forgot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

When I check his numbers I don't really get caught up in his electoral vote prediction, though you definitely have to look at specific states (swing) for the overall prediction of a win, or his %s. 84 out of 16 still means 16 times out of 100 is a Trump win, which is not nothing. If you were rolling dice and hit on the first roll (Election Day) then game over.

Personally, I'll look at his popular vote prediction and then specifically look at FL, PA, MI, WI, AZ. The thought is anything over 6 points is a win. I like to play it conservative and say 7. Right now he has Biden at 7.9 - I really don't think 130+ electoral margin is going to happen, though I think a 100+ could definitely happen. If Biden gets FL it's a done deal. If he loses FL but regains PA it's also a lock because I don't see him losing 2 of PA/WI/MI like how 2016 happened. The only way that happens is if AZ doesn't push over like so many think then all of a sudden NE2 comes into play (Obamaha).

Pretty wild to see The Economist has Biden up to 91% to win the electoral vote. Any time %'s get to 95% you can call it an absolute certainty (depending on the source and this is a good source).

To me, if it's a blowout electorally (via the popular vote it will be a blowout), this is what it looks like:

Alright, everyone who posted a map show it. This is what I had. I was off by Georgia and NE-2. I'll quibble you can flip ME and NE districts here.
    I didn't save it but I was really thinking Biden would have 411....over optimistic 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

I didn't save it but I was really thinking Biden would have 411....over optimistic 
    I expected AZ, but not GA.  I thought NC was 50/50. 
    mrussel1 said:

I was thinking TX, FL and OH would turn blue....boy that was a fucked up thought.  

mrussel1 said:

I was thinking TX, FL and OH would turn blue....boy that was a fucked up thought.  
    FL and OH are going the other way.  Like Missouri.  These states are becoming more red.  More and more, the split will be by education level more than anything else.  That's the new alignment. 
    edited November 2020
    You mean becoming dumber. Yes, I'm a dick.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Georgia polling was spot on...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I doubt it will be anywhere near a 16 point margin, but still should be a safe win for Newsom tonight...and then the republicans will continue their Big Lie (which they started once they started getting polling numbers a couple weeks ago)

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2021
    I doubt it will be anywhere near a 16 point margin, but still should be a safe win for Newsom tonight...and then the republicans will continue their Big Lie (which they started once they started getting polling numbers a couple weeks ago)

A shame it's even that close. I saw a pretty good quote somewhere - forget where now, parahrasing here, too - but people lean towards conspiracy theories in times of uncertainty/trauma/major global incidents.

And what's a shame is this is the gameplan for every Republican in elections going forward - especially high profile elections: when you lose cry RIGGED. Saw this coming before November, and it's never going away. Goddamn shame.

We could clear this all up with rank choice voting, approval voting, etc. Any kind of voting that isn't based on the plurality of a minority.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    Elder put up claims of fraud on his website yesterday or the day before.

Frankly, I'd have had more respect if he cried racism instead.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

And the text already read that it was the reason he LOST. like it already happened. such bullshit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

FL and OH are going the other way.  Like Missouri.  These states are becoming more red.  More and more, the split will be by education level more than anything else.  That's the new alignment. 
    Revisiting this comment to say that the OH county that I grew up in (Darke) is, I believe, the lowest vaccinated county in OH at around 36% or something.  And people are proud of that.

It is full of blue collar workers that think the GOP is just awesome.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    mickeyrat said:

well it is page 1 in the trump playbook. lose, and you call it rigged.

just wait until the proud boys from out of state storm the california governors mansion and try to take it by force.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I follow one of the guys on twitter who tracks these right wing extremists and he had a big thread full of videos of those whackos outside the Biden/Newsom rally last night. Guns, bastardized American flags, and nonsensical covid and election conspiracies were flying around faster than a prairie fire with a tail wind.

January Sixth, Part Two: The Sequel is likely not far off in the future. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    I follow one of the guys on twitter who tracks these right wing extremists and he had a big thread full of videos of those whackos outside the Biden/Newsom rally last night. Guns, bastardized American flags, and nonsensical covid and election conspiracies were flying around faster than a prairie fire with a tail wind.

Rally in DC on the 18th... Restore Justice J6 or some bullshit like that
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    "We'll win and if we don't it's rigged."

This may actually end up being the most lasting legacy of Trump.  He's been doing it for years. He was claiming it was rigged in 2016 when he thought he was going to lose. He claimed the Iowa Caucus was rigged that year. I think he made a similar claim when the Apprentice didn't win an Emmy.

From one man's insecure whining came an entire party's primary political strategy.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

This may actually end up being the most lasting legacy of Trump.  He's been doing it for years. He was claiming it was rigged in 2016 when he thought he was going to lose. He claimed the Iowa Caucus was rigged that year. I think he made a similar claim when the Apprentice didn't win an Emmy.

From one man's insecure whining came an entire party's primary political strategy.
    yeah, I forgot about his claims like that in 2016. funny how, since he won, no one really batted an eye about it. and here we are. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

OnWis97 said:

It's a fucking shame that this is true. 

Would not shock me in the least if he's being encouraged to continue this lie by some folks with thick Russian accents too. I mean, is there a better way than this for him to continue to subvert our democracy from outside the White House?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mickeyrat said:

Rally in DC on the 18th... Restore Justice J6 or some bullshit like that
    I'd love for them to try and get violent again... love it. 
    Trump's nothing more than a figurehead. To ponder the idea that he's actively involved with any grand plan that doesn't directly benefit him today is to give him too much credit. He's a dunce. The well's poisoned already. The only reason anyone still clings to him at all is due to the threat of another 4 years, other than that, at this point, he's the architect of the playbook going forward for the rest of that trash party.
    Trump's nothing more than a figurehead. To ponder the idea that he's actively involved with any grand plan that doesn't directly benefit him today is to give him too much credit. He's a dunce. The well's poisoned already. The only reason anyone still clings to him at all is due to the threat of another 4 years, other than that, at this point, he's the architect of the playbook going forward for the rest of that trash party.
    He's not and never has been a leader.  He is the voice, the person willing to say what the deplorables think.  He gets his feed from the grass roots and parrots it.  
    I can't believe the fucker is still saying the election will be negated.  And people still believe it.

If any other president said that shit we would be talking about how insane they are.

mrussel1 said:
    He's not and never has been a leader.  He is the voice, the person willing to say what the deplorables think.  He gets his feed from the grass roots and parrots it.  
    Also not smart!