Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2020
    Pure shit. 

Curious on how the cover looks with the metallic effect.

But comes off like "SPECIAL COLORED VINYL EDITION" BS to me.

EDIT: And now I saw that it says "50" on the front cover. Yuck.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    100 dollars for a pressing you can get for like 25 and it says 50 on the cover. Pass. Rerelease mirrorball and put out the live album and any other mirror all outtakes that exist please.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:
    100 dollars for a pressing you can get for like 25 and it says 50 on the cover. Pass. 
    It's 180g though. The other standalone reissues are not.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    They are. Just bought Goldrush a few weeks back and it’s 180g. 
  • They are. Just bought Goldrush a few weeks back and it’s 180g. 
    People on here said they were only 180g in the box sets.....
    I believed that too, until this showed up. 
    edited November 2020

• Okey, plan to buy all the reissues - STARTED AGAIN!
    Jump on that Third box first, its OOP and they are harder to find in the wild. 

• Jump on that Third box first, its OOP and they are harder to find in the wild. 

Hmm. Maybe. But not a fan of boxes... 

Will see, as Ive stated before... the older pressings I have sound pretty good... But would be nice to collect something, and why not Neil reissues...
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I need a copy of Gold Rush reissue. I haven't seen it recently anywhere under $50. I was hoping the anniversary would help, but obviously that went the other direction
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Howard Stern and Eddie talks about Neil Young in the interview.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    You guys are getting it cheap. Best Ive seen this advertised is £95 here in the UK but it varies. One place has it as £105.

To be honest I wouldnt buy this for anything more than £30. Even that is a lot when its such a widely available record.

Rolling Stone Germany has a different 7" mounted on the cover this month. No new recordings. €9.50 or something. Ive ordered it but they tend to just send out in a jiffy bag so creases to the sleeve and rubbed vinyl is expected.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    neil wants to keep his "rich hippie" status and get some more trains
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I’ve seen a German repress of Silver and Gold.  Anyone have that or know anything about it?  Would really like that but the OP is too pricey and I doubt a late 90s album is at the top of neils re release priority.
    Scio me nihil scire

• static111 said:
    I’ve seen a German repress of Silver and Gold.  Anyone have that or know anything about it?  Would really like that but the OP is too pricey and I doubt a late 90s album is at the top of neils re release priority.
    Is that really a repress? I've heard it's the original press that never sold out? And in NY groups on facebook they never said it was a repress, when I asked...

So then, was it a german repress I bought like six months ago... 
  • neil wants to keep his "rich hippie" status and get some more trains
    I think he sold off most of his trains in that big auction he had a few years back. When he moved.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    static111 said:
    Is that really a repress? I've heard it's the original press that never sold out? And in NY groups on facebook they never said it was a repress, when I asked...

Silver and gold must have been repressed only a few years ago. It started to show up again around 2016 everywhere and you can get it reasonably cheap. Ive only got the CD but at a guess I imagine there is no obvious visual difference, probably same stamped matrix etc. If someone had both copies there are probably the usual subtle stuff like the card stock of the sleeve. Almost certain there are Pearl Jam reissues of Ten and Vs that like this people call an original press.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    static111 said:
    I have a copy of it. It’s not a bootleg. Been a while since I spun it, but I don’t recall any issues. Paid around $20 for it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    static111 said:

For me, Silver and Gold has always been a bit of a mixed bag.  Some of the folkier songs are a bit ho-hum for me but then there are some really great ones one this album- particularly "Buffalo Springfield Again" and "The Great Divide". 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Powderfinger, from the 1975 'Dume' sessions on Archives II

https://youtu.be/qJPq4daZKEk
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • What is the dume sessions
    What is the dume sessions

Dume was originally mentioned (quite a few years ago) as a standalone unreleased album from the 70s, like Homegrown or Chrome Dreams. It's now going to be Disc 8 of the Archives II box.

Disc 8 (1975)
    Dume

1. Ride My Llama #
    2. Cortez the Killer
    3. Don’t Cry No Tears
    4. Born to Run *
    5. Barstool Blues
    6. Danger Bird
    7. Stupid Girl
    8. Kansas #
    9. Powderfinger #
    10. Hawaii #
    11. Drive Back
    12. Lookin’ for a Love
    13. Pardon My Heart
    14. Too Far Gone #
    15. Pocahontas #
    16. No One Seems to Know #

(Tim Rogers)

EDIT: And now I saw that it says "50" on the front cover. Yuck.
    It would have looked better if it said “50th Anniversary Edition” under the title, instead of just ‘50’
    Or if it included a version of the complete photo inside

(Tim Rogers)
    static111 said:

static111 said:
    I have a copy of it. It’s not a bootleg. Been a while since I spun it, but I don’t recall any issues. Paid around $20 for it.
    One of my favorites. Sounds like for the money it’s worth adding to my collection.  Thanks!
    Scio me nihil scire

Neil Young turns 75 glorious years old next week. 

For 50+ years, his music has been a huge part of my life - a source of immense pleasure, comfort, and pleasurable discomfort. 

When I had a major stroke three years ago, I lost my ability to talk, sing, make music. As I found my way back, I turned to the songs I had a best chance at recalling, music somewhere deep in the recesses of what was left of me. The Beatles and Neil were my subterranean lode ... words and chords COULD be unearthed if I tried hard and often enough. 

When this homegrown effort started taking shape, in the bowels of 2020, I consciously swerved away from much of the best known Neil songs to me, and the casual listener. Digging deeper, like I had tried to cough up favorite songs in the ditch of my fucked-up brain. 

Neil is so many things. I wanted to represent some of them. But, I also decided, hey, call it Volume One. There are a thousand more songs...

credits

released November 6, 2020 

CREDITS: 

Performed/recorded/mixed by Scott McCaughey at Dungeon Of Horror, Portland OR. 

Lead guitar (tracks 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 13) by Mike McCready, recorded at Hockeytalkter Studios, Seattle WA. 

Mastered by Kurt Bloch at Strictly Vintage, Seattle. 

Essential companionship by Mary and Gladys.

Track list:

1. Music Arcade
    2. For The Turnstiles 
    3. Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing
    4. Buffalo Springfield Again
    5. Sad Movies
    6. Trans Am
    7. Mideast Vacation
    8. Thrasher
    9. Shots
    10. Almost Always
    11. Ramada Inn
    12. Barstool Blues
    13. Light A Candle

(Tim Rogers)
    Happy 75th Birthday Neil

https://youtu.be/An2a1_Do_fc

(Tim Rogers)
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2020
    there are no words that can do proper justice in describing what neil has meant to me
    he was there in the beginning and never left. peaks and valleys. greendale and living with war special mention for me

Bandit (Live Acoustic)
    music starts at 630 but your missing the complete beautiful picture

there are no words that can do proper justice in describing what neil has meant to me
    he was there in the beginning and never left. peaks and valleys. greendale and living with war special mention for me

Bandit (Live Acoustic)
    music starts at 630 but your missing the complete beautiful picture

I have always wished that he would release this incredible acoustic version of Bandit without the intro story.  I love greendale and I love this song, but sometimes when I want to listen to this version, I don't want to FF through the story I just want to hear that low tuned string buzz start the song.
    Scio me nihil scire

edited November 2020
    Five shows have been added to the concert timeline on NYA and they sound fantastic!

December 11, 1989 - Paris, France, with Ben Keith and Poncho Sampedro
    July 3, 2001 - Stockholm, Sweden, with Crazy Horse
    April 22, 2009 - Kelwona, British Columbia, with His Electric Band
    March 9, 2013 - New South Wales, Australia, with Crazy Horse
    June 6, 2016 - Belfast, Ireland

I was so excited to see the March 2013 show, then I realised that the Sydney show I was at was on March 10th. So close!
    I was also at the Birmingham NEC show about 2 weeks before the Stockholm show. That’s both Crazy Horse tours that I’ve seen represented already.

@Spiritual_Chaos were you at the 2001 Stockholm show?
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)