Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere on Atmos. Jesus. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere on Atmos. Jesus. 
    One of my favorite songs of his. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited July 2023
    I’m fine with just the vinyl, but that Young Shakespeare box set plummeted in price. 

And what is this Budokan-release on vinyl? Wide release? Read something about it being just a NYA release, but I must have read wrong?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    I’m fine with just the vinyl, but that Young Shakespeare box set plummeted in price. 

And what is this Budokan-release on vinyl? Wide release? Read something about it being just a NYA release, but I must have read wrong?
    The Odeon Budokan release is a strange one. It’s just a vinyl release of Disc 10 from the Archives II box, not exactly something to go crazy for. The bootlegs of both shows are out there, so it would’ve made more sense to make them OBS releases.

I’ll still end up buying it through, even though I’ve only played the CD version once or twice.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    goldrush said:

The Odeon Budokan release is a strange one. It’s just a vinyl release of Disc 10 from the Archives II box, not exactly something to go crazy for. The bootlegs of both shows are out there, so it would’ve made more sense to make them OBS releases.

I’ll still end up buying it through, even though I’ve only played the CD version once or twice.

I generally sleep on it when thinking about pre-ordering something, but for what ever reason, I  went for Budokan without so much as a second thought.  I hope it's good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Yeah, I always wait. But this is a great collection and I want it
  • Options
    IT IS PART OF ONE OF THE MILLION DIFFERENT SERIES NEIL HAS I HAVE TO BY IT I GUESS
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    This does make me believe that he’ll press up other archives collections on wax, which is great news! 
  • Options
    IT IS PART OF ONE OF THE MILLION DIFFERENT SERIES NEIL HAS I HAVE TO BY IT I GUESS

I love Neil's work, But I ain't spending 35 to 40 million dollars on Neil Young records!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    brianlux said:

I love Neil's work, But I ain't spending 35 to 40 million dollars on Neil Young records!  :lol:
    😂
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,254

New song that apparently will be part of the Ragged Glory reissue. Lovely acoustic number there with Poncho on acoustic guitar.

"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    edited July 2023
    Edved82 said:

New song that apparently will be part of the Ragged Glory reissue. Lovely acoustic number there with Poncho on acoustic guitar.

Interstate is one of my favourite NY songs. It was released on the vinyl version of Broken Arrow (and the b-side of the Big Time CD single), but it was recorded in the Ragged Glory sessions.

There’s a great live version recorded at Farm Aid in 1985 that was on the “TV EP & Best of The Unreleased” bootleg. The synths make it sound very 80s, but Neil’s voice and the piano sound great on it

https://youtu.be/xc65mHWrS1k
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,254
    goldrush said:
    Edved82 said:

Interstate is one of my favourite NY songs. It was released on the vinyl version of Broken Arrow (and the b-side of the Big Time CD single), but it was recorded in the Ragged Glory sessions.

There’s a great live version recorded at Farm Aid in 1985 that was on the “TV EP & Best of The Unreleased” bootleg. The synths make it sound very 80s, but Neil’s voice and the piano sound great on it

https://youtu.be/xc65mHWrS1k

Excellent, and thanks for the background on this song! I heard of it in the past but I don't remembering hearing that one before. Beautiful number. I'm really excited for the Ragged Glory re-release.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
     Spiritual_Chaos said:
    I saw one of the shows on this tour, I think it was the last tour of him playing guitar.  He played this and I think Mutineer by Zevon that night.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Played the third LP from the Ragged Glory reissue in the box set and side one is OH so good!  "Interstate" with it's alternate tuning (drop D I think) is haunting and beautiful- just amazing.  The other song on that side is a great classic Crazy Horse jam and a cool (and funny!) Neil Young song, "Don't Spook the Horse".  Side two didn't do it much for me- interesting, but "Born to Run" is abrasive as hell on my ears.  Probably just a one-time listen for that one.  But that first side is pure gold!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Played the third LP from the Ragged Glory reissue in the box set and side one is OH so good!  "Interstate" with it's alternate tuning (drop D I think) is haunting and beautiful- just amazing.  The other song on that side is a great classic Crazy Horse jam and a cool (and funny!) Neil Young song, "Don't Spook the Horse".  Side two didn't do it much for me- interesting, but "Born to Run" is abrasive as hell on my ears.  Probably just a one-time listen for that one.  But that first side is pure gold!
    I really hope that he releases Ragged Glory Expanded as a standalone.  I have Weld, and Freedom, I don't need ArC and don't feel like shelling out the big bucks for the whole box.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    I really hope that he releases Ragged Glory Expanded as a standalone.  I have Weld, and Freedom, I don't need ArC and don't feel like shelling out the big bucks for the whole box.

That would be great, for sure.  I already had Freedom and didn't really need another (although I'm looking forward to hearing the remix anyway), but didn't have Weld on Vinyl and am curious about Arc. 

These pricey box sets seems to be all the rage these days and it I guess for some people, money is not object.  I very seldom buy them myself.  For example, I'd love to have the new remix/reissue of The Replacements' Tim but it comes in a box set with a bunch of stuff I don't need and would probably only listen to once so I'm sticking with the original that I've played more times than I can count.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm burnt out on Neil Young vinyl I feel... there are just so much being pushed out.

I was looking forward to buyting the new Ragged Glory, but now I'm more "eh... I play the original if I need to, and my brother has Werld I can borrow".
  • Options
    I'm burnt out on Neil Young vinyl I feel... there are just so much being pushed out.

I was looking forward to buyting the new Ragged Glory, but now I'm more "eh... I play the original if I need to, and my brother has Werld I can borrow".
    But would you buy a Silver and Gold tour NYAPS vinyl on 180 gram of a full show?  I would!  I would like it if more stuff from some of the overlooked years came out on vinyl.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:

But would you buy a Silver and Gold tour NYAPS vinyl on 180 gram of a full show?  I would!  I would like it if more stuff from some of the overlooked years came out on vinyl.

Le Noise in particular would be a great one to re-issue.  I have a CD of it that I found used (always happy to find used!) and it sounds good, but then later on I totally lucked out and found a new vinyl copy on eBay that was super reasonably priced and it's a treasure.  I love that album and the vinyl sounds terrific.

If you could hear the new reissue Ragged Glory on vinyl I think you would be blown away.  The new Bernie Grundman mastering is so good it's almost a wonder that record was ever released in it's original form.  The original has great but this reissue is out of this world great!  It would not be a bad move though if it were sold as a stand-alone option.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Marc Marcon talking about the difficulties of his Neil Young interview on WTF:

https://youtu.be/iMrstklTgEo?t=2149
  • Options
    onemorshowonemorshow Posts: 383

2 nites only 500 tickets each nite minus all vip equals no tixs available. lol
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436

Tickets are $1,000 + fees, though it is a benefit.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    edited August 2023

Nah man I think you bookmarked where he was happy about the way Marc interviewed Neil. The issue right after that/the fuck he's talking about is Ben Kingsley. That interview very much did suck.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

One grand for one show?  Sure glad I got to see CSNY for $3.50 ! (By the way, $3.50 in today's money is equal to $28.30)

• Options

Nah man I think you bookmarked where he was happy about the way Marc interviewed Neil. The issue right after that/the fuck he's talking about is Ben Kingsley. That interview very much did suck.
    Hehe. Yes I know. :) 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

One grand for one show?  Sure glad I got to see CSNY for $3.50 ! (By the way, $3.50 in today's money is equal to $28.30)
    $3.50 is a great deal!   My earliest recollection of a ticket price is $8.50 for the J Geils band in 1980.  Back then, I used to go to the Whiskey, Roxy and Starwood clubs in Hollywood for around $5.50.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

$3.50 is a great deal!   My earliest recollection of a ticket price is $8.50 for the J Geils band in 1980.  Back then, I used to go to the Whiskey, Roxy and Starwood clubs in Hollywood for around $5.50.

It really was!  Even though I was dirt poor in those day working a minimum wage job for something like $1.50 and hour, I could still scrape up the money to go to Fillmore West, Winterland, and some of the clubs in S.F. fairly often. 

How cool that you got to go to shows in those great landmark L..A. clubs!

• Options
    How much did that 3.50 help with the benefit Neil was playing that night