Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    edited August 2023
    How much did that 3.50 help with the benefit Neil was playing that night

None, of course. Not that night.  But he did other benefits.  

When I was in my teens and twenties, lots of bands played benefits.  The bands played for free and us kids pitched in and helped raise money for all kinds of causes. And I mean we kids could do that, not just the privileged who could shell out piles of money to go to an elite show.

Don't get me wrong- I do not begrudge Neil doing fund raising shows, but I hope Neil Young will remember how it used to be, and I'm a bit surprised he isn't doing it like "the days that used to be".  But then, he's out there doing it.  Me, not so much these day and
    I'm not even half as old as that old codger.  :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Let’s all just will into existence him
    playong Sweden in 2024. 

That is all any of us need. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,440
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

2 nites only 500 tickets each nite minus all vip equals no tixs available. lol
    Tickets are $1,000 + fees, though it is a benefit.

One grand for one show?  Sure glad I got to see CSNY for $3.50 ! (By the way, $3.50 in today's money is equal to $28.30)
    $3.50 is a great deal!   My earliest recollection of a ticket price is $8.50 for the J Geils band in 1980.  Back then, I used to go to the Whiskey, Roxy and Starwood clubs in Hollywood for around $5.50.

It really was!  Even though I was dirt poor in those day working a minimum wage job for something like $1.50 and hour, I could still scrape up the money to go to Fillmore West, Winterland, and some of the clubs in S.F. fairly often. 

How cool that you got to go to shows in those great landmark L..A. clubs!
    I am glad that I grew up in L.A. during the early years of new wave and punk....and even metal.....got to see some great bands before they got too huge!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

One grand for one show?  Sure glad I got to see CSNY for $3.50 ! (By the way, $3.50 in today's money is equal to $28.30)
    $3.50 is a great deal!   My earliest recollection of a ticket price is $8.50 for the J Geils band in 1980.  Back then, I used to go to the Whiskey, Roxy and Starwood clubs in Hollywood for around $5.50.

It really was!  Even though I was dirt poor in those day working a minimum wage job for something like $1.50 and hour, I could still scrape up the money to go to Fillmore West, Winterland, and some of the clubs in S.F. fairly often. 

I am glad that I grew up in L.A. during the early years of new wave and punk....and even metal.....got to see some great bands before they got too huge!

My wife told me something yesterday I had never heard that is a bit fascinating.  She spent the first half of her childhood in Seattle and the latter half in Southern California (her parents moved around a bit to places including Cherry Valley and Beaumont).  She told me that in the late sixties, when she was in her teens and under-aged, she had a friend who looked older and was very seductive and this friend was able to get her and a few other friends into places on the Strip like the Whiskey.  She said she got to see bands like The Strawberry Alarm Clock.  I, of course, pressed her for more band info but she said she was usually really nervous about getting busted, so she often would not stay long.  She also said she was probably very lucky to not run into all sorts of other trouble besides getting busted.  But they never got caught.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,440
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

My wife told me something yesterday I had never heard that is a bit fascinating.  She spent the first half of her childhood in Seattle and the latter half in Southern California (her parents moved around a bit to places including Cherry Valley and Beaumont).  She told me that in the late sixties, when she was in her teens and under-aged, she had a friend who looked older and was very seductive and this friend was able to get her and a few other friends into places on the Strip like the Whiskey.  She said she got to see bands like The Strawberry Alarm Clock.  I, of course, pressed her for more band info but she said she was usually really nervous about getting busted, so she often would not stay long.  She also said she was probably very lucky to not run into all sorts of other trouble besides getting busted.  But they never got caught.
    Very cool story!  My wife also has a great gig history from her childhood.  Her mom took her to a bunch of great gigs in the late 70s/early 80s!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Very cool story!  My wife also has a great gig history from her childhood.  Her mom took her to a bunch of great gigs in the late 70s/early 80s!

Cool mom!

• Options
    Just got the news- Odeon Budokan has shipped.  The reviews look promising and I'm stoked!

Odeon Budokan LP

• Options
    Here's a copy of a note I just sent to Neil Young's official store:

Dear NY Store Representative,
    I'm really concerned about quality control issues with some recent Greedy Hand releases.  I had a defective disc on the Official Release Series Discs 22-25 box set.  That was replaced and I'm grateful for that.  And now I have the  Odeon Budokan LP I recently purchase from you, and as I type this, I'm watching my stylus rise and fall as though riding gentle waves out on the water.  A warped record was not what I wanted to see after the other problem I encountered.  I'm not going to ask you to send a another copy this time.  Likened to what Neil said about not needing more Styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer, we don't need more vinyl and cardboard for the land fill.  What I am going to request though is that someone PLEASE do something about these quality control issues.  This is just not something we need to see happen with these magnificent releases.  These problems just don't befit the quality of the music on these releases.
    Thanks for listening,
    Best Wishes,
    Brian

A sad state of affairs. 

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    ^^^ Agree with ya Brian, and nicely worded. I was a bit bummed with the cheap paper inners included in the last ORS box. LPs were terribly dirty as well. Hopefully they can get the poop in a group before the next ORS box.
  • Options
    ^^^ Agree with ya Brian, and nicely worded. I was a bit bummed with the cheap paper inners included in the last ORS box. LPs were terribly dirty as well. Hopefully they can get the poop in a group before the next ORS box.

Yes, Jer, more good points about the inner sleeves and dirt.  I clean everything- used or new anyway- but still, sheesh!  And those last two items that I bought had some paper scuff on the edge of some of the discs and the finish on the vinyl was a bit of a dull.  They really need to find a new pressing plant. 

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,829
    Hey B Lux. Just flipped through your book again and read about CSNY show and how you were 'hanging out' with NY. 
    No spoilers here. 

You have to buy it to find out more

Dude has some stories to tell.. 

Warning: you might smile or be inspired to get the f..k out of your house and do something
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Hey B Lux. Just flipped through your book again and read about CSNY show and how you were 'hanging out' with NY. 
    No spoilers here. 

You have to buy it to find out more

Dude has some stories to tell.. 

Warning: you might smile or be inspired to get the f..k out of your house and do something
    Thanks for kind words, Loujoe.  I'm blushing!
    To be so close to Neil Young once and almost getting to meet him and all of Buffalo Springfield on a different occasion... I'm always in a quandary about whether to think of those as missed opportunities or fodder for good stories.  I honestly try to lean toward the latter! 

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,829
    Just cool you were in the same zone, plane, whatever. All good. 
    How would it go "hi Mr Neil ahhh young I mean. Hey ahhhhh yeah huh I like the way you strum for that song I can't think of now but oh yeah it goes like Bahnaa Nana na na na na nooo noooOooO nooo nah nah. How do that. Oh yeah and I spotlight suffalo bring field at my sigh hcool."

Sorry just cracking myself up and trying to relive my conversation with EV after waiting all night to meet him.

Love you all. Go make some memories.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Just cool you were in the same zone, plane, whatever. All good. 
    How would it go "hi Mr Neil ahhh young I mean. Hey ahhhhh yeah huh I like the way you strum for that song I can't think of now but oh yeah it goes like Bahnaa Nana na na na na nooo noooOooO nooo nah nah. How do that. Oh yeah and I spotlight suffalo bring field at my sigh hcool."

Sorry just cracking myself up and trying to relive my conversation with EV after waiting all night to meet him.

Love you all. Go make some memories.

Very cool that you had the opportunity to meet Ed. I can picture him being a very nice, very cool person to chat with.  If I had the chance, I would probably introduce him to our favorite local family vintner, Cantiga:

Cantiga Wineworks Herbert Vineyard Zinfandel  Vivino United States

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,292

Well, at least my wallet can breathe a little easier.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

How many versions do we actually need? There are clear Buffalo Springfield and CSN reissues coming too…

Saying that, I’ll probably pick up TFA 50 (even though I’ve got the original and the ORS reissue) because it has The Last Trip To Tulsa as a bonus track.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

How many versions do we actually need? There are clear Buffalo Springfield and CSN reissues coming too…

Saying that, I’ll probably pick up TFA 50 (even though I’ve got the original and the ORS reissue) because it has The Last Trip To Tulsa as a bonus track.
    It has an extra song on the LP? or a 7inch?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    goldrush said:

It’s an extra song added to the end of Side 2 of the LP.
    It was originally the b-side of the Time Fades Away 7-inch single in 1973.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

It’s an extra song added to the end of Side 2 of the LP.
    It was originally the b-side of the Time Fades Away 7-inch single in 1973.
    That's a bit cool
  • Options
    goldrush said:

These are separate Atlantic 75 reissues. 

• Options
    I'll probably get the time fades away but for way cheaper. Already have an OP and the reissue on the ORS box
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    goldrush said:

Oooohwee I hope they do Looking Forward.  Such a great album and so expensive on vinyl
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 175
    static111 said:
    goldrush said:

Oooohwee I hope they do Looking Forward.  Such a great album and so expensive on vinyl
    Buffalo Springfield and CSN reissues are part of the Atlantic 75 reissue campaign. Looking Forward is on Reprise so it wasn't included in the announcement and I doubt it will be included in the campaign. 
  • Options
    Good gawd!  I remember when TFA was a cut out you could get at most record stores for $1.99
    IMG

IMG

• Options
    The set list for last night’s show at The Roxy. 

Tonight’s The Night played in full for the first set, then the whole of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere for the encore - including the first ever performance of Round and Round. A song debut 54 years in the making!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Shouldn't it be "Round & Round"
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Shouldn't it be "Round & Round"

Good call.  In fact, on the record it's listed as "Round & Round (It Won't Be Long)"

• Options
    Other than not playing more Riot Act Neil must be the most magical thing one can see on a stage

https://youtu.be/TkliFtReuf8?si=PXfVdl38csKZtjMA
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Other than not playing more Riot Act Neil must be the most magical thing one can see on a stage

https://youtu.be/TkliFtReuf8?si=PXfVdl38csKZtjMA
    I've never seen a better performer than Neil or a better band than Crazy Horse
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    This is so cool!  Particularly because Nils has mentioned in a couple of recent interviews his desire to tour or at least do some live dates with NY.  So, hooray! 

Neil Young Adds Nils Lofgren To Lineup For Full Album Performances At Roxy Concerts

The legendary rocker and The Santa Monica Flyers variation of Crazy Horse will play material at least 50 years old at the celebratory concerts.

Tonight’s the night Neil Young & Crazy Horse returns for the first of two benefit concerts at The Roxy in Los Angeles in celebration of the legendary venue’s 50th anniversary. Neil Young recently shared news on what to expect on his Neil Young Archives website.

The lineup for the shows will find Neil Young backed by Crazy Horse bandmates guitarist Nils Lofgren, bassist Billy Talbot and drummer Ralph Molina as well as multi-instrumentalist Micah Nelson. Lofgren was originally supposed to be on tour with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band but became available after Springsteen canceled his September concerts while he undergoes treatment for symptons of peptic ulcer disease.

Though officially billed as Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s first public performances since 2019, Young clarified that the group performing at The Roxy will play under The Santa Monica Flyers moniker. The Santa Monica Flyers — consisting of Lofgren, Talbot, Molina and late pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith — accompanied Neil Young at 27 concerts in 1973 including a run of shows to open The Roxy that started 50 years ago today.

Neil Young also revealed he’ll perform two albums live with The Santa Monica Flyers. “All songs will predate the Original Roxy opening 50 years ago,” Young wrote. “We are stoked!” The post was accompanied by an image from the Tonight’s The Night album artwork. Tickets for both concerts are sold out.