Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Pretty Brisk - That's what she said.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    Running hurts. Ive been walking  a lot but not the  same level of cardio. I dont get anything from it. Only really the  sights i see and that is beautiful  sometimes. Like wildlife which i love. Get outdoors is the  main thing  i guess.  Have you ever  ran/jogged before S.C
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    Running hurts. Ive been walking  a lot but not the  same level of cardio. I dont get anything from it. Only really the  sights i see and that is beautiful  sometimes. Like wildlife which i love. Get outdoors is the  main thing  i guess.  Have you ever  ran/jogged before S.C
    No. Always hated it. If we're speaking distance. 

I was pretty fast on 60-100 metres when I was like 14-17. But could never run longer than that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Liam Gallagher: “When you’re this age, this is what it’s about man” | British GQ

https://youtu.be/wcgK_u_yUAo

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841

Liam Gallagher: “When you’re this age, this is what it’s about man” | British GQ

https://youtu.be/wcgK_u_yUAo

Liam was right about a few things here. Running is good for your head. I started running because I needed to bring more cardio into my life, but it has become a lot more than that. It really does clear your head. You can either think about things when you are running or get lost in great music. Either way is good. I also have turned down late night partying because I knew I wanted to get up and run in the morning. So it’s good for that as well - especially “when you’re this age”. 
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    edited July 2020
    I was into lifting for many years. Started to get more into power lifting and end up injuring my right shoulder and had to easy off. Last winter, I was introduced to the world of David Goggins and started running. Bought a treadmill since it’s too fucking cold in Minneapolis/St Paul to run outside in the winter.

Now I am running 3-5 miles outside, at least 4 times a week. Try to get going around 5:30am. At first it was for the cardio, now it’s a way to clear the head. Generally no music, if I do, it’s just ambient stuff (the last two NIN  Ghost albums are great).

One important thing is to buy a pair of quality running shoes. When I first started I was running in some cheap Nike gym shoes which killed my feet/knees. Currently running on Hoka Cliftons.  Makes a world of difference.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Agree on shoes.  They don't have to be fancy but they need to match you - and be recycled somewhat frequently.
    Brooks Ghosts are my shoes of choice.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    I'm pretty good at jiggity jogging.  You know, that thing you do when you can't sleep so you kind of rock back and forth on one side. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Agree on shoes.  They don't have to be fancy but they need to match you - and be recycled somewhat frequently.
    Brooks Ghosts are my shoes of choice.
    Yes. The shoe issue is so important. When I started I bought these Adidas running shoes because I thought they looked cool. They weren’t cheap, but totally wrong for my feet. Destroyed my ankles for several weeks. You are right the shoes have to match your stride. Many running stores will evaluate your stride to see if you are neutral, pronate or supinate. I ended up being neutral. I wear ASICS Cloud Nimbus. I change them out every 6-7 months or so. I have heard great things about Brooks. Might look more into them. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I feel like there are a hundred options, your advice is good!
  • Options
    Sorry to drone on about the shoes but I forgot to mention that I also switch out the insoles that come with the shoes for ones that have custom arch support. Again, the running store should be able to test your arch. You stand on this heat sensitive mat and it creates an outline of your foot. They come in low, medium and high arch. You only have to change them once a year. The brand I use is Curex. That is all for now 😊
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    E sizing was learning for me

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    I bought new shoes (no cool head band) when I gave it a go. Not my cardio of choice. Still wear those runners to the gym the odd time I go, a decade plus later. Good enough.
  • Options
    Every time I come across this thread I can hear Arnold Schwarzenegger in my head saying, "Put down that cookie!" 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I break all the rules lol
    I don't take days off...I do 10 on 1 off.
    I run in 20$ Avias from Walmart for about a year and then replace them.
    No music, no Fitbit, no timer lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    That is great that your feet can roll with that.

Hopefully your knees don't come back to be pissed at some point.

3 miles is not too much per day, I don't think, if your body is cool with it.
    I think days off as a rule is really aimed when the mileage gets longer.
    (Also, when you are trying to get longer or faster with your running the days off allow your muscles to do their thing.)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    MF117973 said:
    Sorry to drone on about the shoes but I forgot to mention that I also switch out the insoles that come with the shoes for ones that have custom arch support. Again, the running store should be able to test your arch. You stand on this heat sensitive mat and it creates an outline of your foot. They come in low, medium and high arch. You only have to change them once a year. The brand I use is Curex. That is all for now 😊
    To follow up on the above suggestions...

A gait check at a running specific store is probably the best thing you can do.
    Not Dicks or any big box store but a store like Fleet Feet or whichever locally owned running store does gait checks.
    As for insoles I have a pair from the podiatrist that I rotate in and out with multiple pairs of Superfeet.I even have an insulated pair for cold weather activities.
    I also highly suggest multiple pairs of running shoes. Not basketball or tennis or even walking shoes. But running specific shoes.
    Never wear the same pair 2 days in a row. Believe it or not the cushioning in the shoes need to recover from the pounding inherent with running.
    And depending on the shoes don't run in them more than 750 miles. Usually 500-600 miles is a good standard.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I go for long walks, suits me perfectly.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    COULD WE PLEASE SPEAK IN ”KILOMETRES” IN HERE PLEASE. THE METRIC SYSTEM IS THE CORRECT STANDARD FFS. 

just kidding. 

What I am not kidding about though is that guns n roses live is kind of bad running to - too many slow songs. 

Gonna try running tonight again. 15 minutes is my goal. And dare to pass atleast one (1) other runner without instead stopping and looking down on my phone being ashamed about how silly I look/am.  
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    Dont be ashamed. Run forest  run
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    COULD WE PLEASE SPEAK IN ”KILOMETRES” IN HERE PLEASE. THE METRIC SYSTEM IS THE CORRECT STANDARD FFS. 

just kidding. 

What I am not kidding about though is that guns n roses live is kind of bad running to - too many slow songs. 

Gonna try running tonight again. 15 minutes is my goal. And dare to pass atleast one (1) other runner without instead stopping and looking down on my phone being ashamed about how silly I look/am.  
    Put on Vs, skip Elderly Woman and Indifference, et voila, your beginning playlist. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2020
    MF117973 said:

Not Dicks or any big box store but a store like Fleet Feet or whichever locally owned running store does gait checks.
    As for insoles I have a pair from the podiatrist that I rotate in and out with multiple pairs of Superfeet.I even have an insulated pair for cold weather activities.
    I also highly suggest multiple pairs of running shoes. Not basketball or tennis or even walking shoes. But running specific shoes.
    Never wear the same pair 2 days in a row. Believe it or not the cushioning in the shoes need to recover from the pounding inherent with running.
    And depending on the shoes don't run in them more than 750 miles. Usually 500-600 miles is a good standard.
    Interestingly the app that Under Armour has suggests you should swap out the shoes after 250 miles. I got a pair at half price... they are good.
    Six mile run yesterday was good, average pace was 10:55. My wife read somewhere that 11+ minute miles is considered jogging and anything sub-11:00 is considered running (so we were rogging or junning 😝)
    That program I posted is great..  Believe me because I have no natural talent for running, I’m built like a 6 ft fire hydrant, have short legs have asthma.  This week we step back the distance a bit and next Sunday it is a 10k! (7.1 miles). 

Program is designed to minimize injuries which has been a problem in the past. So far so good (so what!) 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Dont be ashamed. Run forest  run
    @lastexitlondon Lol, RFR!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    MF117973 said:

Interestingly the app that Under Armour has suggests you should swap out the shoes after 250 miles. I got a pair at half price... they are good.
    Six mile run yesterday was good, average pace was 10:55. My wife read somewhere that 11+ minute miles is considered jogging and anything sub-11:00 is considered running (so we were rogging or junning 😝)
    That program I posted is great..  Believe me because I have no natural talent for running, I’m built like a 6 ft fire hydrant, have short legs have asthma.  This week we step back the distance a bit and next Sunday it is a 10k! (7.1 miles). 

Program is designed to minimize injuries which has been a problem in the past. So far so good (so what!) 

Of course they say 250 miles. The less miles you do the more shoes you buy.
    However depending on the user's weight and how they use the shoes can decide how long the shoes go.
    10k is 6.2 but go for 7.1
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

It sounds like you are doing great. But if you run 7.1 miles, you will be exceeding a 10K. I had my worst run ever today. I got too late of a start and it was so hot. It was 84 degrees when I started. I brought water with me, but I think I got dehydrated because I got a horrific cramp in my thigh about 1/2 way through. For the first time in a while my average time exceed 11:00 per mile- so I guess I jogged today. Managed to do 4 torturous miles. I am going to have to start much earlier the rest of the week, although it is supposed to be cooler. This is the time of year when I wish I could go to the gym and use the treadmill. Just needed to vent for a minute :)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    MF117973 said:

Of course they say 250 miles. The less miles you do the more shoes you buy.
    However depending on the user's weight and how they use the shoes can decide how long the shoes go.
    10k is 6.2 but go for 7.1
    That’s why I said “Interestingly”.  I’m familiar with planned obsolescence but my weight may have a lot to do with it (228)
    That chart said we run 7.1 miles then in brackets said (10k race!) which fooled me. I never did the math (I’m a metric baby anyways) 
    Even better! Ran 9.565km on Sunday 👍

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    MF117973 said:

It sounds like you are doing great. But if you run 7.1 miles, you will be exceeding a 10K. I had my worst run ever today. I got too late of a start and it was so hot. It was 84 degrees when I started. I brought water with me, but I think I got dehydrated because I got a horrific cramp in my thigh about 1/2 way through. For the first time in a while my average time exceed 11:00 per mile- so I guess I jogged today. Managed to do 4 torturous miles. I am going to have to start much earlier the rest of the week, although it is supposed to be cooler. This is the time of year when I wish I could go to the gym and use the treadmill. Just needed to vent for a minute :)

I LOVE the long Sunday run because I can go in the morning. On Tues/Thurs I have to run after work. Shorter runs but the wind is up and it’s warmer. Living at high altitude in Calgary the heat isn’t usually a big issue (zero humidity most of the time). 
    But running west toward the Rockies you are going to be fighting a breeze.

But running first thing in the am is best... cooler, trails are mostly empty... perfect 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Cool thread. SC, you’ll have to let us know if you break the 15 minute barrier.  In Arnold’s voice, “you can do it!”

I either run or do the elliptical 7 days a week. On average, 4-5 of those days are running. In this Covid world I’m 100% outdoor running, but in the “old world” I did plenty of treadmill running at the gym. I enjoyed that because I’d do some high intensity interval running where I’d sprint for 60 seconds, slow to a jog for 15-30 seconds and repeat. It’s a good way to shock the body from the daily steady state, or long distance runs.  Now I’m all “long distance” with usual runs between 3-5 miles. Never less, but sometimes more. I need to follow the advice here and get fitted for proper shoes. I’m a Nike Free running shoe guy, but I’m sure they’re not proper, despite being comfortable.  Oh, and I was running with no music outside for a bit until I got on arm band for my phone. Let me tell you...it sucks!  No music = a bad run for me.  Music is everything for running! 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I agree music makes a huge difference in my run 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

just kidding. 

Commie pinko! 

LOL, just kidding, of course.  The metric system is SO FAR SUPERIOR.  Thanks a lot, Reagan, for killing the effort to transition effort here in the U.S. to metric