Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    bbiggs said:
    Cool thread. SC, you’ll have to let us know if you break the 15 minute barrier.  In Arnold’s voice, “you can do it!”

I either run or do the elliptical 7 days a week. On average, 4-5 of those days are running. In this Covid world I’m 100% outdoor running, but in the “old world” I did plenty of treadmill running at the gym. I enjoyed that because I’d do some high intensity interval running where I’d sprint for 60 seconds, slow to a jog for 15-30 seconds and repeat. It’s a good way to shock the body from the daily steady state, or long distance runs.  Now I’m all “long distance” with usual runs between 3-5 miles. Never less, but sometimes more. I need to follow the advice here and get fitted for proper shoes. I’m a Nike Free running shoe guy, but I’m sure they’re not proper, despite being comfortable.  Oh, and I was running with no music outside for a bit until I got on arm band for my phone. Let me tell you...it sucks!  No music = a bad run for me.  Music is everything for running! 
    I agree about the music. Can’t run without it. I made a great running playlist on my phone. I didn’t think I would like the arm band so I got a running belt that goes around my waist (I guess in reality it is like a more streamlined flat fanny pack 😁). Holds my phone, keys, and a tissue to wipe the burning sunscreen sweat out of my eyes. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    I used to always run with music. Plus I always hated running although that had nothing to do with the music of course. 
    This year something changed, maybe because I got outside less working from home all the time, don’t know. I started in intervals (x km running, then walking a bit etc).
    Now I try to run twice a week and managed 10km (in one piece and 55 minutes) for the first time in 3 years. Developing tinnitus I‘ve completely stopped using headphones, so no music while running for me anymore. Instead I’m solely focused on my breathing which is kinda meditative.
    And I‘m actually enjoying it for the first time ever so I hope to keep it up.
    Oh and I use Asics shoes! Whatever brand you use, the main thing is to go to a good shop and get your feet and running style analyized.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Prefer music....loud and fast paced.
    I was shocked the first time I ran a 10k and was told that you are not meant to wear earphones on "sanctioned races" further than 5ks here.  The rules specifically said no, so I didn't wear.  Probably one out of three people had earphones in anyway.
    Once I got over the sound of my own breathing I was fine without the music - other people around is a great pacer for me.  

Also, morning running for me.  The only times I would deviate from that is if (pre-pandemic) I had 6am flights or something.  Then I would run at the hotel gym at night.  

This morning I was lost in music and thought, and on the last mile homeward.  Deer flagged about ten feet to my left at the edge of the woods.  Scared the crap out of me :lol:.  Usually I see them well before I am upon them.  They are not scared of people right around here since it is suburbia and they see them all of the time.  Odd.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ I definitely like my music loud and fast paced too, but there is a sweet spot.  Last night's run was to the Stones, which I don't consider fast paced, but there are several songs that give me the energy jolt I need on a run.  On the flip side, when Angie came on I just about slowed to a crawl.  Haha.  I can't listen to something too fast paced and hard though.  Listening to Slayer or Metallica's Kill Em All, for example, wouldn't do it for me.  Those can come in handy for lifting.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    Everyone is now saying I'm running to fast, because I get tired after 3-4 minutes. Hmm.

I ran through It's so Easy but had to take a short pause. Then I ran through half of Mr Brownstone and into Live and Let Die. But then The Garden starts and I lost all momentum. 

But will try a podcast instead and really run slow, to not burn myself out so fast. Haha.

I also happened to have my Nike headband on upside down. Maybe that had some affect.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Any way to gauge what speed you are running at?  
    I would think 4-5 mph would be a good pace if you want to build up slowly.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Sc check out the run keeper ap, it tracks your speed, elevation, distance, time , etc.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Any way to gauge what speed you are running at?  
    I would think 4-5 mph would be a good pace if you want to build up slowly.
    I could download "runkeeper", but I only have 1 gig of data per month... but yeah I will do that.

EDIT: What mcgruff said
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Everyone is now saying I'm running to fast, because I get tired after 3-4 minutes. Hmm.

I ran through It's so Easy but had to take a short pause. Then I ran through half of Mr Brownstone and into Live and Let Die. But then The Garden starts and I lost all momentum. 

But will try a podcast instead and really run slow, to not burn myself out so fast. Haha.

I also happened to have my Nike headband on upside down. Maybe that had some affect.
    I have great runs listening to Appetite for Destruction.  Awesome running music imo.  Probably just need to slow it down until you build endurance.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sc check out the run keeper ap, it tracks your speed, elevation, distance, time , etc.  
    Is the run keeper app good. I have been using the Nike Run app. I like it but every once in a mile it screws up on the gps which then screws up on the time it gives me per mile. I run the same route almost every time and know the distance and once in awhile the app seems off. 
  • Options
    Everyone I know here uses runkeeper.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

I have great runs listening to Appetite for Destruction.  Awesome running music imo.  Probably just need to slow it down until you build endurance.

Do you listen to the one with the cross, or the original cover? ;)
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is the run keeper app good. I have been using the Nike Run app. I like it but every once in a mile it screws up on the gps which then screws up on the time it gives me per mile. I run the same route almost every time and know the distance and once in awhile the app seems off. 
    I used it until I got a Polar watch and use that program now.  Worked ok.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Do you listen to the one with the cross, or the original cover? ;)
    The cross LOL.  I remember having the cassette in 2nd grade and looking through the insert and the original cover was still printed on the inside.  Probably not for 2nd grade eyes (or ears for that matter).

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440

Try to focus on breathing properly. Breathe in deeply through the nose and out through the mouth. If you feel like you could still talk to someone while running, you’re good
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Keep the headband upside down. Much cooler imo.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'd rather walk 1000 miles than run 1.  But yes, Bjorn Borg was cool as hell!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    I think beginners often try to run too fast and then feel awful, get discouraged, and give up. 

It doesn’t matter how fast you go, it just matters that you’re moving 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is there a Bike Keeper APP? My jogging days are done.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    All my friends recommend strava.     They are big time bike riders.  They do anywhere between 50 and 100 miles at a time.  @cutz
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    All my friends recommend strava.     They are big time bike riders.  They do anywhere between 50 and 100 miles at a time.  @cutz

I use Strava and I like it. They keep wanting me to upgrade to the paid version, of course. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    At least a 5 k three out of the last four days on the elliptical.  Getting there.  
    Keep it up sc!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    mcgruff10 said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks, I'll give a try, but I won't be riding close to 50-100 Miles>LOL

• Options
    Ok. So, for me running in the summer heat officially SUCKS!!! This is my first summer running outside instead of at the gym. I really loved running outside in the Spring. I knew for the summer I was going to have to adjust my expectations for my speed, but now I am having trouble reaching my miles. Today was really humid with only moderate air quality. I started about an hour earlier than usual. I got about 2.3 miles into my run and I just felt like I couldn't go on. I could feel it in my legs, my lungs, etc. Never really had that happen to this extent. I can usually power through. I had water with me, so I stopped drank some water and walked the next 1/2 mile. I started up again and was able to finish - with a couple of few seconds stops to drink water. So, with the walk I did 4 miles, but really only ran about 3.5. I know that things like electrolytes and potassium can help - but thought those were really more for longer runs.

Do any of you more seasoned runners have any good advice besides getting up at 5am? I think moving forward until the weather cools down I will just have to listen to my body and if it means stopping and walking part of the way I will try not to beat myself up over it. Is that something good to do, or will I start losing my progress? All advice appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Ok. So, for me running in the summer heat officially SUCKS!!! This is my first summer running outside instead of at the gym. I really loved running outside in the Spring. I knew for the summer I was going to have to adjust my expectations for my speed, but now I am having trouble reaching my miles. Today was really humid with only moderate air quality. I started about an hour earlier than usual. I got about 2.3 miles into my run and I just felt like I couldn't go on. I could feel it in my legs, my lungs, etc. Never really had that happen to this extent. I can usually power through. I had water with me, so I stopped drank some water and walked the next 1/2 mile. I started up again and was able to finish - with a couple of few seconds stops to drink water. So, with the walk I did 4 miles, but really only ran about 3.5. I know that things like electrolytes and potassium can help - but thought those were really more for longer runs.

Do any of you more seasoned runners have any good advice besides getting up at 5am? I think moving forward until the weather cools down I will just have to listen to my body and if it means stopping and walking part of the way I will try not to beat myself up over it. Is that something good to do, or will I start losing my progress? All advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Don't beat yourself up too much....my first advice.  :)
    You know your body and are doing the right thing.

My best advice is to run earlier
    I am out the door between 5-6 and it is still brutally hot with the humidity recently.  I don't know how I would feel doing it later in the day.
    (I know how I feel running in freezing temps, but that is a different hurt.)

When I got back this morning I put a towel on the stairs and sat down.  It took a solid 15 minutes for sweat to stop pouring off from me so that I could shower properly.

Also on day 3 of my Q3 water only fasting, so the description you gave really rings true today.  I knew from about my 20th stride that it was gonna be a battle.  Not much in reserve from body strength so the last two miles was mostly mental.  I was off about 90 seconds per mile from the pace I had for the same run last Wednesday AM.  Just need to accept that and not care
      I out in the run...most people would not do a five day fast and most of them who would certainly would not run during it.
    Fuck it.  I am not interested in being most people - but, I will give myself a break on the shitty time.  :)

• Options
    Also, just go to sleep earlier by the amount of time earlier you need to get up at
      Your body will be fine with it.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

Don't beat yourself up too much....my first advice.  :)
    You know your body and are doing the right thing.

My best advice is to run earlier
    I am out the door between 5-6 and it is still brutally hot with the humidity recently.  I don't know how I would feel doing it later in the day.
    (I know how I feel running in freezing temps, but that is a different hurt.)

When I got back this morning I put a towel on the stairs and sat down.  It took a solid 15 minutes for sweat to stop pouring off from me so that I could shower properly.

Also on day 3 of my Q3 water only fasting, so the description you gave really rings true today.  I knew from about my 20th stride that it was gonna be a battle.  Not much in reserve from body strength so the last two miles was mostly mental.  I was off about 90 seconds per mile from the pace I had for the same run last Wednesday AM.  Just need to accept that and not care
      I out in the run...most people would not do a five day fast and most of them who would certainly would not run during it.
    Fuck it.  I am not interested in being most people - but, I will give myself a break on the shitty time.  :)

Don’t be most people, F Me! :lol: 
  • Options
    Gonna try to run tomorrow before work . But I am not a morning person. 
  • Options
    For whatever reason I enjoy lifting in the morning and running around 6 pm.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    For whatever reason I enjoy lifting in the morning and running around 6 pm.  
    Even in this heat!?!