Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    GlowGirl said:
    Have any of you every used those deep tissue massage guns. I was looking at the Hypervolt - but is so expensive. Just not sure it is worth it. I used to get deep tissue massages monthly before the pandemic. So, I have never used the massage guns. Amazon had one called Opove M3 Pro that was much less expensive. If any of you use one, is it worth it. Does it help? I have been getting really tired hamstrings when running lately, and thought this may help. I also maybe just need a roller. I haven't been using one since the gym has closed.
    I have the hyper ice gizmo for my knees.  It is spectacular and I'm bummed I held off on ordering it as long as I did.  Their stuff is expensive but it is bomb.
    I ice my knees for 30 mins each a night.
    Running is great but it takes some maintenance for this dude to rock on.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ I fear the knee icing and joint discomfort that’s inevitable in the future. So far, so good, but it’s coming. As good as running is for our hearts, it’s equally bad for our knees.  I keep picturing myself as Tom Berenger in Major League gimping around in the future. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    GlowGirl said:
    Have any of you every used those deep tissue massage guns. I was looking at the Hypervolt - but is so expensive. Just not sure it is worth it. I used to get deep tissue massages monthly before the pandemic. So, I have never used the massage guns. Amazon had one called Opove M3 Pro that was much less expensive. If any of you use one, is it worth it. Does it help? I have been getting really tired hamstrings when running lately, and thought this may help. I also maybe just need a roller. I haven't been using one since the gym has closed.
    I have the hyper ice gizmo for my knees.  It is spectacular and I'm bummed I held off on ordering it as long as I did.  Their stuff is expensive but it is bomb.
    I ice my knees for 30 mins each a night.
    Running is great but it takes some maintenance for this dude to rock on.
    Yes. That is the same company that makes the Hypervolt. The ice compression look awesome. I wish their massage guns were more reasonably priced. I just may have to bite the bullet. That is the brand they sell at my gym, and I trust that it is good. I will have to do more research. 

• Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,833
    GlowGirl said:
    Hey all, it's me - Formerly MF117973. Finally changed my screen name to something more interesting. Just wanted to post this message in the threads I post to most often so you will know it's me. GlowGirl has arrived.
    Hi GlowGirl,  I am your Physical Graffiti friend.  😊. I have wanted to change my screen name forever.  Just never could figure out how to do??  Can you teach me how please!!  Thanks Ed
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I fear the knee icing and joint discomfort that’s inevitable in the future. So far, so good, but it’s coming. As good as running is for our hearts, it’s equally bad for our knees.  I keep picturing myself as Tom Berenger in Major League gimping around in the future. 
    I guess that is what the elliptical will be for. I have used it for a while when my ankles have gotten sore in the past. I don't enjoy it as much as running, but will use it when I have to. It is better than hobbling around. Only problem is you have to buy a machine. No way to do it outside.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    bbiggs said:
    I guess that is what the elliptical will be for. I have used it for a while when my ankles have gotten sore in the past. I don't enjoy it as much as running, but will use it when I have to. It is better than hobbling around. Only problem is you have to buy a machine. No way to do it outside.

Definitely agree. I prefer running but I don’t hate the elliptical. I have one in the basement so I put it to use 2-3 times a week in between running days. I can get a great workout from it, but it takes longer to get my heart rate up. Good alternative, but not the same. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ice on

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I lost 15 pounds this week.
    Fasting & running will do that.

I also will put back on 10-12 over the next week.  Been doing this every quarter for 2 years and my body holds onto everything it can.  (Point is not weight loss, so I don't care about that.)

GlowGirl.  Well, why did you pick that name? 
    Did you drink at all this week?  Honest question because I have not had a sip since the Fourth of July.  It is amazing how many calories are in alcholol.  
    No when I fast I only drink water.  Nothing else goes in except water for five days.
    I won't drink tonight because I run in the morning but tomorrow evening I'm a gonna get funked up!

And, good for you.  I do a sober month the past few years and I like it.  I tend to snack a lot so I don't lose weight but at least I don't drink for thirty days and give my liver a time out.
    No coffee bud?!?! I drink seltzer and coffee all day every day. 

Not on a fast, that is water only

I just slaughtered some ribs and corn bread and Coleslaw.  Ready for a nice five mile run in the early am.
    Awesome! Do you Run around your neighborhood or do you have a cool running trail in your neck of the woods?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    That ice pack is awesome! Might have to invest in one of those. I still use ziploc bags with ice on the rare occasions I ice something 😂
  • Options
    EB218946 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hey all, it's me - Formerly MF117973. Finally changed my screen name to something more interesting. Just wanted to post this message in the threads I post to most often so you will know it's me. GlowGirl has arrived.
    Hi GlowGirl,  I am your Physical Graffiti friend.  😊. I have wanted to change my screen name forever.  Just never could figure out how to do??  Can you teach me how please!!  Thanks Ed
    Hi Ed,

I will PM you. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    That ice pack is awesome! Might have to invest in one of those. I still use ziploc bags with ice on the rare occasions I ice something 😂
    Game changer
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I also will put back on 10-12 over the next week.  Been doing this every quarter for 2 years and my body holds onto everything it can.  (Point is not weight loss, so I don't care about that.)

Did you drink at all this week?  Honest question because I have not had a sip since the Fourth of July.  It is amazing how many calories are in alcholol.  
    No when I fast I only drink water.  Nothing else goes in except water for five days.
    I won't drink tonight because I run in the morning but tomorrow evening I'm a gonna get funked up!

And, good for you.  I do a sober month the past few years and I like it.  I tend to snack a lot so I don't lose weight but at least I don't drink for thirty days and give my liver a time out.

I just slaughtered some ribs and corn bread and Coleslaw.  Ready for a nice five mile run in the early am.
    Awesome! Do you Run around your neighborhood or do you have a cool running trail in your neck of the woods?
    Long runs take me to different towns and back.  Tomorrow will stay in Cherry Hill and go through a few different nearby neighborhoods.
    Trail running is a no-go.  Played soccer in high school and killed my ankles.  Too easy to roll one in the woods.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Game changer
    Also you use the same ice/gel every day.  So easy.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Game changer
    Also you use the same ice/gel every day.  So easy.
    Sold. That will definitely help on the days I’m feeling sore. 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,107
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I read this and the only thing I could think of is Michael Scott carb loading right before the fun run :lol:
  • Options
    Ice on

That looks great for the knees. I haven’t really needed to ice much yet. But I don’t run as many miles as you do. I should just get a roller. I used them at the gym but don’t have one at home. I think my hamstrings would benefit. Hyperice seems like a great brand. If I end up getting the massage gun I may just go for it. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I keep thinking I should get a foam roller but keep delaying as it seems to fall into the “no fun” category. 

I’m not having any knee trouble, so I’ve already slacked off on the quad stretches. I’ve got to get back at them. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    My wife has a full assortment of rollers and "the stick" like you see the football players getting used on the sidelines at games.  Constantly rolling on a calf or working a hamstring.  
  • Options
    If you’re lucky enough to live in a state with dispensaries, get any combo of thc/cbd cream and it will work wonders for your knees in terms of running. 
  • Options
    Well, I failed at my rest week. Last week, I told myself I would take this week off from from running. Since I said that I have run three times. Not sure why. I feel like someone trying to quit smoking - "this will be my last cigarette". I guess there are worse things I could fail at.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Well, I failed at my rest week. Last week, I told myself I would take this week off from from running. Since I said that I have run three times. Not sure why. I feel like someone trying to quit smoking - "this will be my last cigarette". I guess there are worse things I could fail at.
    Why do you need a rest week? Sounds like you are doing well maintaining your running @GlowGirl?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Why do you need a rest week? Sounds like you are doing well maintaining your running @GlowGirl?
    Last week, I was having a really hard time with the heat. I was getting extremely frustrated. My hamstrings were also bothering me. So, I thought taking a week off would help a bit both mentally and physically. But this week has been better in terms of running. It was also cooler today - so that helped.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Last week, I was having a really hard time with the heat. I was getting extremely frustrated. My hamstrings were also bothering me. So, I thought taking a week off would help a bit both mentally and physically. But this week has been better in terms of running. It was also cooler today - so that helped.

Time for an elliptical!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Time for an elliptical!
    Never!!! ;)  Actually, I will use the elliptical when I have joint pain - for me, it is my ankles. I rarely have knee or hip pain, but once in a while I will get pain in both ankles and then use the elliptical for a week or two. I envy those of you who can buy treadmills and ellipticals. My apartment simply has no room, and my gym will be closed for who knows how long.

I did get a foam roller today and plan to use it after running. I also blew off yoga for the past two weeks which is why I think my hamstrings got tight. I will be doing a Zoom yoga class in the morning. Onwards and Upwards!!!

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    Zoom yoga sounds good @GlowGirl
  • Options
    Zoom yoga sounds good @GlowGirl
    It’s ok. It is from the yoga studio I have been going to for several years. It’s with my same teacher but not as good as being in the class. Plus one of my cats has a weird attraction to my yoga mat and is constantly trying to lay on it during my class. But it is definitely better than nothing and I really want to keep supporting the yoga studio. I already know of one in my neighborhood that has recently become a permanent Covid casualty. 
  • Options
    Yeah I have that here with my dog when doing YouTube yoga, he likes to try and join in, he's good at downward facing dog. I'd love to try goat yoga as mini goats jump on your back during certain positions. I've also heard of hot yoga where you're in a steam room or something like that...
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Got back into running last month after 2 years off. Up to 5 miles comfortably right now and not sure where I want to go from here. With no races on the go it is hard for me to set a schedule and have goals to meet. I think I might just sit at this distance for a bit while I get into better overall shape and jump from 3-5 mils varying the speed depending on the day. I have also been mixing in roadbiking which is so much fun hitting the hills again. 
  • Options
    Because the Philadelphia Marathon just cancelled (as expected) I will be running a solo marathon on November 22nd.
    18 weeks from Sunday.  You can pick a training plan and stick to it and run a marathon on that day as well.  Can be 10c Marathon.  :)

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gonna try to run tomorrow before work . But I am not a morning person. 
    How's the running going? @Spiritual_Chaos
    I don’t know why but sc is banned.  Hopefully our Swedish buddy is back soon. 
    I m down four pounds this week, more elliptical combined with weight lifting and diet change seem to be working. 23 pounds to go. :)
    He doesn’t know either. Just noticed the board was gone all of a sudden