Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gonna try to run tomorrow before work . But I am not a morning person. 
    For whatever reason I enjoy lifting in the morning and running around 6 pm.  
    Even in this heat!?!
    sorry, elliptical.  Nice cool basement. ;)
    But even if my back was good there is no way to run trails this summer because the ticks are so bad.  I had two deer ticks in me last week after a short hike in the woods.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,011
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Even in this heat!?!
    But even if my back was good there is no way to run trails this summer because the ticks are so bad.  I had two deer ticks in me last week after a short hike in the woods.  
    ...on you... or in you... ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Even in this heat!?!
    ...on you... or in you... ?
    in me on my leg; I had to pull both out with a pair of tweezers.  headed to my doctors and was put on some intense antibiotics.  Good times.  
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    MF117973 said:
    Ok. So, for me running in the summer heat officially SUCKS!!! This is my first summer running outside instead of at the gym. I really loved running outside in the Spring. I knew for the summer I was going to have to adjust my expectations for my speed, but now I am having trouble reaching my miles. Today was really humid with only moderate air quality. I started about an hour earlier than usual. I got about 2.3 miles into my run and I just felt like I couldn't go on. I could feel it in my legs, my lungs, etc. Never really had that happen to this extent. I can usually power through. I had water with me, so I stopped drank some water and walked the next 1/2 mile. I started up again and was able to finish - with a couple of few seconds stops to drink water. So, with the walk I did 4 miles, but really only ran about 3.5. I know that things like electrolytes and potassium can help - but thought those were really more for longer runs.

Do any of you more seasoned runners have any good advice besides getting up at 5am? I think moving forward until the weather cools down I will just have to listen to my body and if it means stopping and walking part of the way I will try not to beat myself up over it. Is that something good to do, or will I start losing my progress? All advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Don't beat yourself up too much....my first advice.  :)
    You know your body and are doing the right thing.

My best advice is to run earlier
    I am out the door between 5-6 and it is still brutally hot with the humidity recently.  I don't know how I would feel doing it later in the day.
    (I know how I feel running in freezing temps, but that is a different hurt.)

When I got back this morning I put a towel on the stairs and sat down.  It took a solid 15 minutes for sweat to stop pouring off from me so that I could shower properly.

Also on day 3 of my Q3 water only fasting, so the description you gave really rings true today.  I knew from about my 20th stride that it was gonna be a battle.  Not much in reserve from body strength so the last two miles was mostly mental.  I was off about 90 seconds per mile from the pace I had for the same run last Wednesday AM.  Just need to accept that and not care
      I out in the run...most people would not do a five day fast and most of them who would certainly would not run during it.
    Fuck it.  I am not interested in being most people - but, I will give myself a break on the shitty time.  :)

Thanks for the encouragement. Wow, training for a marathon and fasting - you are a warrior.
    I think if I can get past letting myself down, I will try to alternate running and walking while it is this hot and humid. If I can accept that and not care, I will be less discouraged by my recent efforts. I also think after I do one more run this week, I will take a rest week. I haven't done that since early March. It might be nice to give my body a break and refocus my head on the fact that the next 2 months or so will not be my best effort - but that I will do great again in the Fall. I think as long as I can get in that mindset, I will be ok with running less, walking more, and  clocking a slower time. I am not training for anything - so my only competition is myself (which can be the hardest of all). As long as I am putting in some exercise, I will try to feel good about it. I really hope my gym opens up before it gets freezing cold. I can only imagine that hell as well. I am not a cold weather person. Since I only started running outside in March, the coldest I have run in was the mid to high 30s. That was fine. But I can't imagine running in the 20s or below. But I will, if I have to.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Yes, take care of yourself and don't push too hard.
    Running in the 20s and lower sucks.  Seriously.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    MF117973 said:
    MF117973 said:
    Ok. So, for me running in the summer heat officially SUCKS!!! This is my first summer running outside instead of at the gym. I really loved running outside in the Spring. I knew for the summer I was going to have to adjust my expectations for my speed, but now I am having trouble reaching my miles. Today was really humid with only moderate air quality. I started about an hour earlier than usual. I got about 2.3 miles into my run and I just felt like I couldn't go on. I could feel it in my legs, my lungs, etc. Never really had that happen to this extent. I can usually power through. I had water with me, so I stopped drank some water and walked the next 1/2 mile. I started up again and was able to finish - with a couple of few seconds stops to drink water. So, with the walk I did 4 miles, but really only ran about 3.5. I know that things like electrolytes and potassium can help - but thought those were really more for longer runs.

Do any of you more seasoned runners have any good advice besides getting up at 5am? I think moving forward until the weather cools down I will just have to listen to my body and if it means stopping and walking part of the way I will try not to beat myself up over it. Is that something good to do, or will I start losing my progress? All advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Don't beat yourself up too much....my first advice.  :)
    You know your body and are doing the right thing.

My best advice is to run earlier
    I am out the door between 5-6 and it is still brutally hot with the humidity recently.  I don't know how I would feel doing it later in the day.
    (I know how I feel running in freezing temps, but that is a different hurt.)

When I got back this morning I put a towel on the stairs and sat down.  It took a solid 15 minutes for sweat to stop pouring off from me so that I could shower properly.

Also on day 3 of my Q3 water only fasting, so the description you gave really rings true today.  I knew from about my 20th stride that it was gonna be a battle.  Not much in reserve from body strength so the last two miles was mostly mental.  I was off about 90 seconds per mile from the pace I had for the same run last Wednesday AM.  Just need to accept that and not care
      I out in the run...most people would not do a five day fast and most of them who would certainly would not run during it.
    Fuck it.  I am not interested in being most people - but, I will give myself a break on the shitty time.  :)

Thanks for the encouragement. Wow, training for a marathon and fasting - you are a warrior.
    I think if I can get past letting myself down, I will try to alternate running and walking while it is this hot and humid. If I can accept that and not care, I will be less discouraged by my recent efforts. I also think after I do one more run this week, I will take a rest week. I haven't done that since early March. It might be nice to give my body a break and refocus my head on the fact that the next 2 months or so will not be my best effort - but that I will do great again in the Fall. I think as long as I can get in that mindset, I will be ok with running less, walking more, and  clocking a slower time. I am not training for anything - so my only competition is myself (which can be the hardest of all). As long as I am putting in some exercise, I will try to feel good about it. I really hope my gym opens up before it gets freezing cold. I can only imagine that hell as well. I am not a cold weather person. Since I only started running outside in March, the coldest I have run in was the mid to high 30s. That was fine. But I can't imagine running in the 20s or below. But I will, if I have to.

I’m guilty of not practicing what I’m preaching here, but taking a day or days off is very important.  That time to let your body recover is a good thing and allows you to come back feeling fresh and stronger.  I need to follow my own advice, but when I do take a day off, I feel a very noticeable difference in how fresh my legs are.  
  • Options
    EMersaraEMersara Posts: 8
    I absolutely love running! Been consistent for the last 21 years or so. Had to start gradually; run a block/walk a block. Worked up to 3 miles; then 6.5. Hoka shoes are great. I always listen to music; including lots of Pearl Jam; Bon Iver; Arcade Fire; Vampire Weekend. Keeps me sane in these crazy times. Also love bicycling and lots of other sports.
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyone tried that zombie running app?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I think I may be one of the only avid runners that doesn't use a running app.  Maybe I should step into the 21st century. 
  • Options
    I haven’t tried that one. But it sounds like it might be fun. I will look into it. 
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Damn it’s hot outside!
  • Options
    Nope. When I need a little motivation to get out move my butt, I’ll watch one of David Goggins “motivational” talks. He’s not for everyone, he’s a bit of nutter, but sometimes it’s what I need to hear to get going.

https://youtu.be/zYMs14c5WNI
  • Options
    Hey all, it's me - Formerly MF117973. Finally changed my screen name to something more interesting. Just wanted to post this message in the threads I post to most often so you will know it's me. GlowGirl has arrived.
  • Options
    How's the running going? @Spiritual_Chaos
  • Options
    How's the running going? @Spiritual_Chaos
    I don’t know why but sc is banned.  Hopefully our Swedish buddy is back soon. 
    I m down four pounds this week, more elliptical combined with weight lifting and diet change seem to be working. 23 pounds to go. :)
  • Options
    Well done @mcgruff10 - I'm happy to have read your update particularly in SC's absence.... 4 pounds is a lot to loose in 1 week. I think they recommend 1 to 2 pounds a week, however what you're doing seems to be working so keep going :)

I might have lost a couple of pounds over the past month by improving my diet and keeping busy. I'm trying to stick to 3 meals a day and include protein  which is supposed to keep you full longer.  Do keep us all posted on your progress. 

On a related note over the past year or two one of my neighbours has dropped about half his body weight by regular walking. I used to enjoy spinning and weights classes, but it's great that people can find out what suits them and make it work for them :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I lost 15 pounds this week.
    Fasting & running will do that.

I also will put back on 10-12 over the next week.  Been doing this every quarter for 2 years and my body holds onto everything it can.  (Point is not weight loss, so I don't care about that.)

GlowGirl.  Well, why did you pick that name? 
  • Options

I also will put back on 10-12 over the next week.  Been doing this every quarter for 2 years and my body holds onto everything it can.  (Point is not weight loss, so I don't care about that.)

Did you drink at all this week?  Honest question because I have not had a sip since the Fourth of July.  It is amazing how many calories are in alcholol.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Did you drink at all this week?  Honest question because I have not had a sip since the Fourth of July.  It is amazing how many calories are in alcholol.  
    No when I fast I only drink water.  Nothing else goes in except water for five days.
    I won't drink tonight because I run in the morning but tomorrow evening I'm a gonna get funked up!

And, good for you.  I do a sober month the past few years and I like it.  I tend to snack a lot so I don't lose weight but at least I don't drink for thirty days and give my liver a time out.
  • Options

I was deciding on a few names, but chose this one. It is the name of a bizarre little Who song. Plus, I am simply radiant =) .

• Options
    Ha - well good for you!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I stopped drinking back in September. I dropped close to 15 pounds in 6 weeks or so. The weight loss leveled off after that, but hasn’t came back either.
  • Options
    Have any of you every used those deep tissue massage guns. I was looking at the Hypervolt - but is so expensive. Just not sure it is worth it. I used to get deep tissue massages monthly before the pandemic. So, I have never used the massage guns. Amazon had one called Opove M3 Pro that was much less expensive. If any of you use one, is it worth it. Does it help? I have been getting really tired hamstrings when running lately, and thought this may help. I also maybe just need a roller. I haven't been using one since the gym has closed.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

No when I fast I only drink water.  Nothing else goes in except water for five days.
    I won't drink tonight because I run in the morning but tomorrow evening I'm a gonna get funked up!

And, good for you.  I do a sober month the past few years and I like it.  I tend to snack a lot so I don't lose weight but at least I don't drink for thirty days and give my liver a time out.
    No coffee bud?!?! I drink seltzer and coffee all day every day. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    Have any of you every used those deep tissue massage guns. I was looking at the Hypervolt - but is so expensive. Just not sure it is worth it. I used to get deep tissue massages monthly before the pandemic. So, I have never used the massage guns. Amazon had one called Opove M3 Pro that was much less expensive. If any of you use one, is it worth it. Does it help? I have been getting really tired hamstrings when running lately, and thought this may help. I also maybe just need a roller. I haven't been using one since the gym has closed.
    A certain board member (and friend!) sent me a Hypersphere massaging/vibrating ball.  I don't know if it qualifies as deep-tissue, but it helps a good deal when my back is spasming.

***It's amazing how much weight one can lose just by stopping booze and going with water...well, for me, anyway ;)

AND, holy shit!  I haven't listened to Glow Girl since I was one myself :lol:
  • Options
    Yeah, lots if water and no alcohol, that's the one isn't it.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    A certain board member (and friend!) sent me a Hypersphere massaging/vibrating ball.  I don't know if it qualifies as deep-tissue, but it helps a good deal when my back is spasming.

***It's amazing how much weight one can lose just by stopping booze and going with water...well, for me, anyway ;)

AND, holy shit!  I haven't listened to Glow Girl since I was one myself :lol:
    I think you are still a Glow Girl, Hedonist. According to the Urban Dictionary:

Someone with a positive vibrant energy.
    Usually a girl who brightens up a room full of people with her charisma and positive energy. This is what brings joy to others.

The Who song is a whole different story though. Strange song. Pete Townshend describes it as "Well, it was a reincarnation song and it was about a plane crash and two kids on an aeroplane and they realize that the plane's crashing. The reincarnation ploy comes at the end, where you hear 'It's a girl, Mrs. Walker, it's a girl. When I came to write Tommy, I picked up that phrase and used it as the opening. That's how Tommy became Tommy Walker, just because in this song which was worked on two years before, we had a little girl."

But to maintain thread integrity - Thanks for the info on the Hypersphere. I will check it out. I really need to work more on my muscles after exercising. I am ignoring them too much, and now they are complaining.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

No coffee bud?!?! I drink seltzer and coffee all day every day. 

Not on a fast, that is water only

I just slaughtered some ribs and corn bread and Coleslaw.  Ready for a nice five mile run in the early am.