Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Because the Philadelphia Marathon just cancelled (as expected) I will be running a solo marathon on November 22nd.
    18 weeks from Sunday.  You can pick a training plan and stick to it and run a marathon on that day as well.  Can be 10c Marathon.  :)

That would be amazing to do but I think a half would be more realistic at that point. Congrats to you for doing it still with no race. Have you done one before? Sorry if it has already been mentioned.

I have two sisters that run marathons. One does it for fun and to stay in shape and the other is top 10 in Canada (ran a 2:43 a year ago). I am pretty proud of both of them and feel for them too with what is going on right now. It was going to be a big year for my younger sister with trail running and marathons. I have always wanted to push running but I seem to train too fast and am injury prone. I am trying to dial it back but I just go by how my body feels and pay for it after it seems. 

My goals while training sometime this year would be as follows and in order. 

20 min 5km 
    30 min 5 mile
    38 min 10 km 

After that if I am able to stay somewhat injury free I would look forward to maintaining shape and then I would love to complete a half and full marathon in 2021 if racing is back on with just completing the full as a goal. On top of that I would love to do a 100km bike ride then a 100 mile bike ride with some hills. Saying all of this stuff on a Pearl Jam forum is easy to do for me. To stick with it and execute it is another thing with kids/work and injuries involved. I am the type of person to give up tomorrow and go back to eating like shit for a couple of months since my knee bothers me but I am hoping to stick with it this time. 

I have not followed this thread or read through it yet but will do so later today. If I am anywheres near in shape still on that date I will do what I can! 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wow on your sisters....that is great
    Sorry they are missing out this year.

You are much faster than I am, with those time goals.  I am a bull not a gazelle.  ;)
    27 min 5k this morning. 
    Did 45 mins for 5 miles yesterday morning, which for me is pretty good.
    9 minute mile range seems to be the right spot for me 
    Some miles higher some miles lower but average low 9s is good with me.

Never gone 26.2 but went 13.1 last year and liked it.  Committed to doing 26.2 this year and 50 mile ultra by the time I'm 50.  (Have just under four years to hit that, but I want to hit it next year if my body holds up )

Just started running February 2019.  
    Did it as a self mental care measure and after a while I started to have a love hate rather than a hate hate relationship with it ..and eventually moved to where I mostly enjoy it.  I really enjoy what I get from it ...the rest is necessary to get that.

Keep going toward your goals....sounds like running fast is in your dna!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Because the Philadelphia Marathon just cancelled (as expected) I will be running a solo marathon on November 22nd.
    18 weeks from Sunday.  You can pick a training plan and stick to it and run a marathon on that day as well.  Can be 10c Marathon.  :)

A solo marathon? Wow! I don’t think I could motivate myself without people around. Do you have a nice long route you can take? Circles would be even harder I guess
    Geez, PJNB, that really is fast!
    I managed 11km in 1:07 hours, so a bit slower than I wanted but I‘m happy with the progress. Trying to get to 15 km
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    JPPJ84 said:

A solo marathon? Wow! I don’t think I could motivate myself without people around. Do you have a nice long route you can take? Circles would be even harder I guess
    There is no try, there is only do.  (Yoda!)

I need to have loops so that I can access water and bathroom as needed I think.  Not determined yet if they will be short loops or long.  Will see as I get closer.  Will be tougher, mentally, with loops I imagine ...but don't see how I can avoid having spots where I can go to the bathroom or get more liquids.  (Normally these are every mile along most race courses)
    JPPJ84 said:

There is no try, there is only do.  (Yoda!)

I need to have loops so that I can access water and bathroom as needed I think.  Not determined yet if they will be short loops or long.  Will see as I get closer.  Will be tougher, mentally, with loops I imagine ...but don't see how I can avoid having spots where I can go to the bathroom or get more liquids.  (Normally these are every mile along most race courses)
    Unless you get friends and family involved!
    Good luck, I‘m cheering you on from here

You are much faster than I am, with those time goals.  I am a bull not a gazelle.  ;)
    27 min 5k this morning. 

Never gone 26.2 but went 13.1 last year and liked it.  Committed to doing 26.2 this year and 50 mile ultra by the time I'm 50.  (Have just under four years to hit that, but I want to hit it next year if my body holds up )

Did it as a self mental care measure and after a while I started to have a love hate rather than a hate hate relationship with it ..and eventually moved to where I mostly enjoy it.  I really enjoy what I get from it ...the rest is necessary to get that.

Thats great! Race times and training times are much different in my experience. I am not sure how you train but I bet you are faster than that 45 mins/5 miles time.

I have committed to doing my longest run Nov 22nd now though and have something to look forward to pushing for. August will be a right off with me with work but I will try and run when I can. 50 miles is nuts! Both of my sisters did that trail running and as you know takes so real determination to finish. Good luck!
    PJNB said:

27 min 5k this morning. 

Thats great! Race times and training times are much different in my experience. I am not sure how you train but I bet you are faster than that 45 mins/5 miles time.

I have committed to doing my longest run Nov 22nd now though and have something to look forward to pushing for. August will be a right off with me with work but I will try and run when I can. 50 miles is nuts! Both of my sisters did that trail running and as you know takes so real determination to finish. Good luck!
    Awesome, way to commit!
    JPPJ84 said:
    I managed 11km in 1:07 hours, so a bit slower than I wanted but I‘m happy with the progress. Trying to get to 15 km
    That is great! I have never compared times to others really.  We all have different builds and really should only be comparing to ourselves imo. It is nice to be competitive too to get an extra push but set goals for yourself as you are doing runs and meet them if you can then set new harder goals and keep going. I am turning 40 next year and can start to feel age creeping in and recovery taking longer than I remember it taking. I took over 2 years off like I said earlier and even then 2016 was probably the last year I was in decent shape. I have never put a full year in before with cardio and look to do so starting June 15th this year. Here is some details on how I am training. I am still pretty out of shape but I feel so much better than I did the first week I started running. Down 10lbs too which helps a lot. I really do miss the junk food though! Take a look at the time between my 5 mile on June 30th and my last one on July 15. 15 days and I almost shaved 5 minutes off. I expect my next 5 miler to not have anywheres near that gain but keeping track of that and having a goal when running instead of just putting the miles in helps me a lot. I am nowheres near my goals yet but I will get there! Listening to Tool and PJ's new album is helping a ton. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJNB said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    That is great! I have never compared times to others really.  We all have different builds and really should only be comparing to ourselves imo. It is nice to be competitive too to get an extra push but set goals for yourself as you are doing runs and meet them if you can then set new harder goals and keep going. I am turning 40 next year and can start to feel age creeping in and recovery taking longer than I remember it taking. I took over 2 years off like I said earlier and even then 2016 was probably the last year I was in decent shape. I have never put a full year in before with cardio and look to do so starting June 15th this year. Here is some details on how I am training. I am still pretty out of shape but I feel so much better than I did the first week I started running. Down 10lbs too which helps a lot. I really do miss the junk food though! Take a look at the time between my 5 mile on June 30th and my last one on July 15. 15 days and I almost shaved 5 minutes off. I expect my next 5 miler to not have anywheres near that gain but keeping track of that and having a goal when running instead of just putting the miles in helps me a lot. I am nowheres near my goals yet but I will get there! Listening to Tool and PJ's new album is helping a ton. 

Has it helped a Gigaton?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gonna try to run tomorrow before work . But I am not a morning person. 
    How's the running going? @Spiritual_Chaos
    I don’t know why but sc is banned.  Hopefully our Swedish buddy is back soon. 
    I m down four pounds this week, more elliptical combined with weight lifting and diet change seem to be working. 23 pounds to go. :)
    He doesn’t know either. Just noticed the board was gone all of a sudden 
    How can we get him back?
    PJNB said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Has it helped a Gigaton?

• NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    @PJNB, thanks for putting me onto this thread.

I started working out early this year (I had put on too much weight last year). Currently mostly running. I'm down over 40 lbs on the year! 

I've been putting in about 50 miles a week recently. Ran my first half marathon distance last weekend (at 1:39). 

I'm going to look at some races, probably for the spring mostly (since pretty much everything is cancelled here this year, but there may be a 5K in Oct). 

My goals are 
    Sub 20 5K (I did 21 minutes this week)
    40 minute 10K (I have a ways to go on that)
    1:30 half marathon

Not sure if I want to try to get to marathon distance or not.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wow!  Congrats on the weight loss AND the hard work. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Just got an ”you are unbanned” email... so I have been banned it turns out. But now the GOLDEN GOD OF RUNNING is back. 

I managed to run 3km last time (running slower than I have done before and listening to a podcast instead of Guns N Roses) and forced myself to walk for a bit after 1,5 km. So gonna try to get out two times a week and run 3km through July (to start soft enough) and then get up to 5km in august. And when I run 5km I will go and buy some real shoes made for my feet/running style. 

Is my plan atleast. 

Here is my last time out:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Welcome back and excellent plan! Why aren’t you running through the park though? Sounds nicer than the road
  • Hi @Spiritual_Chaos, Do you know why you were banned? I think @deadendp mentioned something about this too.  Welcome back and well done on your 3k run and fitness plan. 5k runs can be tough and  takes some building up. You are almost inspiring me to start running I'm kinda going the other way in terms of meditation to chill more.
    edited July 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    Welcome back and excellent plan! Why aren’t you running through the park though? Sounds nicer than the road
    It's a mountain - Ramberget (which is the origin of the Sylvester Stallone character Rambo's name).  Keillers Park (with its famous murder in the 90s) is sort up a bit on the mountain. My coworker runs up there during lunch sometimes. But I wouldn't manage run up there. Haha.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    JPPJ84 said:
    It's a mountain - Ramberget (which is the origin of the Sylvester Stallone character Rambo's name).  Keillers Park (with its famous murder in the 90s) is sort up a bit on the mountain. My coworker runs up there during lunch sometimes. But I wouldn't manage run up there. Haha.

In that case... road sounds fine ;)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,696
    edited July 2020
    Just got an ”you are unbanned” email... so I have been banned it turns out. But now the GOLDEN GOD OF RUNNING is back. 

I managed to run 3km last time (running slower than I have done before and listening to a podcast instead of Guns N Roses) and forced myself to walk for a bit after 1,5 km. So gonna try to get out two times a week and run 3km through July (to start soft enough) and then get up to 5km in august. And when I run 5km I will go and buy some real shoes made for my feet/running style. 

Is my plan atleast. 

Nice job. Keep it up. You are making great progress. Once you hit 5K and work at it, try to run a 5K race when they are back. When I did my first 5K race after starting running so late in life, it was a nice sense of accomplishment. Didn't come nearly close to winning, but came in the first 1/3. That was good enough for me just to finish. My next goal is a 10K, but not quite there yet. I admire all of you training for marathons and half marathons. I don't think that will ever be me, and I am ok with that.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    GlowGirl said:

Is my plan atleast. 

Nice job. Keep it up. You are making great progress. Once you hit 5K and work at it, try to run a 5K race when they are back. When I did my first 5K race after starting running so late in life, it was a nice sense of accomplishment. Didn't come nearly close to winning, but came in the first 1/3. That was good enough for me just to finish. My next goal is a 10K, but not quite there yet. I admire all of you training for marathons and half marathons. I don't think that will ever be me, and I am ok with that.

I don't know if I will keep running, or stop... out of laziness...

But there is a race in my hometown every summer that is 11km. So, one goal would be to run that one next july...

Hmm...

And my boss is going on about "running trail"... and it does sound kind of nice being out in the woods running...
  • You can do it SC and train in the woods when the lighting is just right.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    GlowGirl said:

Is my plan atleast. 

But there is a race in my hometown every summer that is 11km. So, one goal would be to run that one next july...

Hmm...

And my boss is going on about "running trail"... and it does sound kind of nice being out in the woods running...

Running in the woods is far more fun than running on the road or on a track. The time flies by. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    You can do it SC and train in the woods when the lighting is just right.
    Hahah i read that as lightning.  And though  oooo thats evil. Hahaha. 
    Misread
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    You can do it SC and train in the woods when the lighting is just right.
    Hahah i read that as lightning.  And though  oooo thats evil. Hahaha. 
    Misread

Hahah it would have been an excellent retort.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Go get electrocuted.!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    GlowGirl said:

Is my plan atleast. 

Hmm...

Running in the woods is far more fun than running on the road or on a track. The time flies by. 
    Agreed completely.  It's a whole different experience.

I haven't done it - and that is because the trails here that I have walked on are filled with spots to break my ankles.  When I stopped playing soccer I was wearing air splints on both ankles.  Took years for the random "walking along and rolls ankle over nothing" to stop.  
    I'd like to see if there are any proper paths on the area to run as I am sure it is a different experience.
    edited July 2020
    Trail running is amazing! So much easier on the knees but watch out for the roots sticking out and rainy or wet mornings. Very easy to slip or fall if you are not paying attention.

There is a hike called the Fundy Footpath where I live. My sister has asked me to run/hike it with her in September all in one day. It is 48km's long and lots of elevation ups and downs. I did it 10 years ago and lost both of my big toe nails because the downs were so punishing with very little switchbacking going on. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done with over 2700m in elevation gain. It took me 17 hours last time I did it with a 35lb backpack. I am thinking of doing it again but much lighter with no need to campout. This is my real passion in life and envy anyone that lives near some mountains with fantastic views. 

It just hit me my wife and I were supposed to be in Zurich right now. We were going to do 3 hikes in 3 days. Fingers crossed next year is a go. 

Post edited by PJNB on