Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Nice!  Reminds me of a pair of dumb but gentle beast I used to say ho to on my walk years ago.  A quick glance up, then back to chewing cud. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,698
    It was on a walk also. Its on the way to my plot. I see them and say hi too!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    So I just went for a walk outside Of work to stretch my legs.  The second I get outside I’m assaulted by the anxious squawking of 10-15 seagulls.  They’re dive-bombing a juvenile bald eagle.

The eagle manages to set down in a large Garry oak tree . . . Which just happens to hold a murder of crows with quite a few fledglings in it.  While, the crows were not having any of eagle so set about driving it off. Which drove eagle back into the nasty, squawking seagulls. 

I see a few crows looking at what I thought was a fledgling, however, as I move closer I see it’s a Cooper’s hawk with a dead pigeon in one of it’s talons having a spot of lunch.

Excuse the picture quality, the pix were taken with my old-ass iPhone.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    So I just went for a walk outside Of work to stretch my legs.  The second I get outside I’m assaulted by the anxious squawking of 10-15 seagulls.  They’re dive-bombing a juvenile bald eagle.

The eagle manages to set down in a large Garry oak tree . . . Which just happens to hold a murder of crows with quite a few fledglings in it.  While, the crows were not having any of eagle so set about driving it off. Which drove eagle back into the nasty, squawking seagulls. 

I see a few crows looking at what I thought was a fledgling, however, as I move closer I see it’s a Cooper’s hawk with a dead pigeon in one of it’s talons having a spot of lunch.

Lol, exciting.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710

this guy was in my apartment a few years ago.

had one of a garter snake but can't find it anywhere
    I think it’s the same oad as before (he’s been here for at least 5 years. Outside my apartment door

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Raccoon prints!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    so, in the back yard we have a very tall mature silver maple. Squirrels have a nest. been there for several years. Because of the dogs. I have created a couple of  tree branch "roads" to keep them off the ground as much as necessary. This does two things, keeps a couple of these small end branches out of my way and helps the critters.

Now, the other day , my wife decided that onstead of trashing the dried fruit she doesnt like from this trail mix she had, she would put it out on the deck railing for the squirrels and birds who wanted it. lasted maybe a day before it was found.

When I get home from work in the mornings, I take the dogs out(we have doggie doors for anytime access but the cockapoo insists we be out there with her). So I am in the shade on the slightly elevated deck leaning against the railing busy in my phone.  when I see in the corner of my eye a thin branch hanging over the rail start rustling.I look up and see this dude or dudette staring at me, seemingly hopeful.......

it stayed for a minute before it made its way up and through the tree to the backside when it jumped down to the 4x4 swing set that really needs to come down. Dogs are yapping and it climbs down tl the ground and races to the fence and climbs back up to safety. not 2 feet from Ellie the cockapoo. Fucking bold and hilarious at the same time.

this could be a fun summer with this squirrel.

need a name. seems like a norman to me. bulbous nose like norman fell from 3s company....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Norman is an excellent name.  I wouldn’t like his chances if he came into my yard when max was out.  She charged our fence so hard last year that she actually knocked a squirrel off the top of it and into the neighbours yard.  Ellie needs to up her game if she wants squirrel for supper lol
    fucking busy bodies....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I can’t get photos, but we’ve got a family of screech owls that I’ve been watching. They’re pretty neat. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I can’t get photos, but we’ve got a family of screech owls that I’ve been watching. They’re pretty neat. 

Owls are so cool!  Once in a while we get these owls in the neighborhood that never show themselves but have that soft whootie-who-whooooo that is so cool to listen to.  Just love 'em!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Raccoon prints!

did it walk through paint?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

Raccoon prints!

did it walk through paint?
    No, it was the chalky white residue from washing down the tile saw.  We had been cutting bricks.  It pools at the bottom of the driveway before it slowly runs off and dries.
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Owls are so cool!  Once in a while we get these owls in the neighborhood that never show themselves but have that soft whootie-who-whooooo that is so cool to listen to.  Just love 'em!
    I concur!  Owls are awesome!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    edited July 2020
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

This owl was kind of a jerk, though. 

MF117973 said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

This owl was kind of a jerk, though. 

The nerve!  :lol:

My heart aches.  At work on Friday I came across a fawn hobbling around on a broken front leg.  I reported it, but they will either leave it or if they capture it, it will probably be euthanised.  I think it may be one of two fawns that I saw last week.  No mother around any of the times that I saw them 😔

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2020
    ^^^Aw, that is heartbreaking.

My daughter found an orphaned duckling on her walk today; We waited around with it until one of our town’s animal control officers could come and take it to the wildlife refuge/rehab a few towns north of us. The animal control officer on duty was actually just on the way back from dropping off another duckling at the refuge; he surmised they were likely siblings. We did get the little critter to go into a box so that it wouldn’t run into the street while we waited. 

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Ground hog current resident.

Happy groundhog’s day
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,698

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

dankind said:
    ^^^Aw, that is heartbreaking.

My daughter found an orphaned duckling on her walk today; We waited around with it until one of our town’s animal control officers could come and take it to the wildlife refuge/rehab a few towns north of us. The animal control officer on duty was actually just on the way back from dropping off another duckling at the refuge; he surmised they were likely siblings. We did get the little critter to go into a box so that it wouldn’t run into the street while we waited. 

I hope the ducklings were reunited.  So cute.

So cute!

I love sheep!
    so thought I caught this in eyesight the other day but wasnt sure. confirmed today it IS a chipmunk.... fucking genius at that. center fence rail.....

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

chinese-happy.jpg
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507

That's a peregrine falcon with the pigeon. Cool pics.
    @iOnlyownMymind

Interesting.  How can you tell the difference?  It’s almost identical to the Cooper’s hawks that are currently living around my house.
    @iOnlyownMymind

Interesting.  How can you tell the difference?  It’s almost identical to the Cooper’s hawks that are currently living around my house.
    my limited image search shows its the facial markings. that black drop from the eyes

mickeyrat said:
    @iOnlyownMymind

my limited image search shows its the facial markings. that black drop from the eyes
    Yeah, I’m not very good a bird identification tbh.  I just assumed it was a Cooper’s hawk based on the fact that that’s what the one in the tree looks like to me lol.  I wasn’t even aware that there were peregrine falcons in my area lol. I did a google search of them side-by-side, and still had a hard time spotting the differences. 
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    mickeyrat said:
    @iOnlyownMymind

Yes, the facial markings are characteristic and peregrines have dark horizontal barring on the chest and white throat.  Cooper's hawks have more of a lighter brown colored barring on the chest and throat.  Although you could find a cooper's eating a pigeon, it is large prey for them to try to get on their own.   It's much more common for a peregrine to hunt one down. They are fast as hell and ferocious. 
    mickeyrat said:
    @iOnlyownMymind

Yes, the facial markings are characteristic and peregrines have dark horizontal barring on the chest and white throat.  Cooper's hawks have more of a lighter brown colored barring on the chest and throat.  Although you could find a cooper's eating a pigeon, it is large prey for them to try to get on their own.   It's much more common for a peregrine to hunt one down. They are fast as hell and ferocious. 
    Thanks guys.  I’ll keep an eye out for more falcons.  The mating pair of Cooper’s hawks fledged three this year.  My hummingbirds are NOT happy.