Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Is it a buzzard?

Hawk or some kind of raptor.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    Is it a buzzard?
    It looks like a hawk.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Is it a buzzard?
    It looks like a hawk.

Coopers female if I am reading the feathers and my field guide correctly.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Cool
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    Despite living in a semi-rural neighborhood, last night at around 10 PM driving down our street I caught something in my headlights I've never seen around here.  A bear!  Kind of cute to see but not really  something I want to have in the neighborhood! 
    As a kid one summer while we were camping in the Sierras, I went for a walk by myself down a creek and suddenly, right across this little stream was a brown bear.  I did what they say not to do- turned and ran!  I've been leery of bears ever since!
    In any case, I wish I had photos!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    backyard shots.....

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,542
    A squirrel did acrobats on me this morning! Sadly, no pics, but your shot, mickeymaboy reminded me of the clawy creature!
  • Options
    What  bird is that 
     Looks stunning 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    What  bird is that 
     Looks stunning 

which bird?

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Nice you feed the birds.
    I think Rob is asking about the 'cardinal'.  The male is bright red.
    Cool they are that color. I'd think that would make them a target for hawks but maybe not. Perhaps birds see diff colors than us.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    edited August 2021
    brianlux said:
    Despite living in a semi-rural neighborhood, last night at around 10 PM driving down our street I caught something in my headlights I've never seen around here.  A bear!  Kind of cute to see but not really  something I want to have in the neighborhood! 
    As a kid one summer while we were camping in the Sierras, I went for a walk by myself down a creek and suddenly, right across this little stream was a brown bear.  I did what they say not to do- turned and ran!  I've been leery of bears ever since!
    In any case, I wish I had photos!

Good you 'bearly' see them.

They are awesome creatures
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Nice you feed the birds.
    I think Rob is asking about the 'cardinal'.  The male is bright red.
    Cool they are that color. I'd think that would make them a target for hawks but maybe not. Perhaps birds see diff colors than us.

I guessed thats the one he was talking about.
    that would be a male juvenile northern cardinal. once an adult he will bright red head to tail with a black face and red beak.

• Options
    Now you say it i recognise it from the team the  cardinals. We don't  have any  birds that colour here. Love it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    malefemalejuvenilesee how much they change. assume the one I posted before is the same guy here at the bottom.....

• Options
    I wish I had gotten a photo of this!
    This evening, right around midnight, I heard Annie cat make a little noise and then right away hear a whole lot of scraping, thumping, and mild banging on the deck.  My first thought was, "What on earth is C. doing out there rearranging the deck at this hour?"  It immediately occurred to me that she is never up this late and if she was, I would have heard her walk past the den.  I knew it had to be an intruder or a large animal, neither of which I want on the deck!
    So I turned on the porch light and just to the left outside the glass slider was a black bear tossing things around on the deck looking for food or whatever.  I yelled to C. but by the time she found her smart phone, the bear was off the deck and into the yard in the dark.  We caught a few more glimpses but no photo.

We had seen a black bear in the neighborhood a few weeks ago- the first one we had seen her in our 17 1/2 years here.  Had I not seen that one, I would have thought maybe it had come down from the fire area, but I don't think they roam 16 miles.  So maybe we have bears in the area now.  No more leaving the slider open with just the screen door at night! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    bear brings the gift of wisom.
  • Options
    tish said:
    bear brings the gift of wisom.

It was quite a beautiful creature.  Sorry to say though, due to a near run in with a bear when I was a kid, they kind of freak me out!

• Options
    I ran into one when nude sunbathing. I keep picturing the bare ass of a skinny guy running frightened through the field. I smoked back then, so I took out a cigareete and lit it, thinking might as well have one before I die. Turns out that is an act of offering tobacco according to a First Nation friend who told me about the gifts some animals bring.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I’ve always known of his presence, as he’s destroyed my garbage in the past (don’t even put it out until the morning of garbage day anymore). But yesterday I finally saw him. Big motherfucker. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I should maybe give ours a big bear hug and make friendly like so he won't hurt me!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    This evening, right around midnight, I heard Annie cat make a little noise and then right away hear a whole lot of scraping, thumping, and mild banging on the deck.  My first thought was, "What on earth is C. doing out there rearranging the deck at this hour?"  It immediately occurred to me that she is never up this late and if she was, I would have heard her walk past the den.  I knew it had to be an intruder or a large animal, neither of which I want on the deck!
    So I turned on the porch light and just to the left outside the glass slider was a black bear tossing things around on the deck looking for food or whatever.  I yelled to C. but by the time she found her smart phone, the bear was off the deck and into the yard in the dark.  We caught a few more glimpses but no photo.

We had seen a black bear in the neighborhood a few weeks ago- the first one we had seen her in our 17 1/2 years here.  Had I not seen that one, I would have thought maybe it had come down from the fire area, but I don't think they roam 16 miles.  So maybe we have bears in the area now.  No more leaving the slider open with just the screen door at night! 

probable being pushed into the area from the fires?

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    I’ve always known of his presence, as he’s destroyed my garbage in the past (don’t even put it out until the morning of garbage day anymore). But yesterday I finally saw him. Big motherfucker. 

did you call animal control?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Had we not seen this bear further up the road about a week before the Caldor Fire (at least I think it's the same bear), I would have thought so.  But yeah, could be.  The fire is 15 or 16 miles away. Do they roam that far?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Had we not seen this bear further up the road about a week before the Caldor Fire (at least I think it's the same bear), I would have thought so.  But yeah, could be.  The fire is 15 or 16 miles away. Do they roam that far?

Core Home Range Diameter: Typically: Yearlings: 1-2 miles.  Adult females: 2-6 miles.  Adult males: 8-15 miles.  Excursions to 126 miles recorded.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Core Home Range Diameter: Typically: Yearlings: 1-2 miles.  Adult females: 2-6 miles.  Adult males: 8-15 miles.  Excursions to 126 miles recorded.

This one looked like a young adult, and you know how young adults are- always wanting to go on road trips.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

This one looked like a young adult, and you know how young adults are- always wanting to go on road trips.
    Never tidy up either
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Never tidy up either

So true!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

everything looks young to you

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

No he lives in the woods up behind my house. I need to just use some deterrents. I don't put my garbage outside anymore, so he hasn't come down for that lately. I think there's groundhogs under my garage that he's after. But before I can board up where the groundhogs are getting in, I have to get a dumpster to get rid of a lot of junk left behind by the previous owners that I have piled up next to the garage. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

No he lives in the woods up behind my house. I need to just use some deterrents. I don't put my garbage outside anymore, so he hasn't come down for that lately. I think there's groundhogs under my garage that he's after. But before I can board up where the groundhogs are getting in, I have to get a dumpster to get rid of a lot of junk left behind by the previous owners that I have piled up next to the garage. 

1-800 got junk in your area?