Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Looks like a good fishing spot^

Nice turkeys^^

An owl has been out by me. Hear it all the time, didn't see it yet.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    eddiec said:

how close did you get?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    mickeyrat said:
    eddiec said:

how close did you get?
    It's in that spot often. I'm standing on a sidewalk overlooking the river. Maybe 20 feet? I'll post a non-zoomed version.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Saw this guy on the walking trail today.  It was about 8 inches long.  I was surprised it let me take the photo, and even more surprised that it gave no resistance to my picking it up.  I was concerned it may have been injured.  Once I carried it away from the trail, it seemed OK.  I was concerned because a few weeks ago I came across a beautiful California king snake that was dead- judging by the width of the impression across its body, probably run over by a cyclist. Very sad.  Today's find was much more positive!
    IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Saw this guy on the walking trail today.  It was about 8 inches long.  I was surprised it let me take the photo, and even more surprised that it gave no resistance to my picking it up.  I was concerned it may have been injured.  Once I carried it away from the trail, it seemed OK.  I was concerned because a few weeks ago I came across a beautiful California king snake that was dead- judging by the width of the impression across its body, probably run over by a cyclist. Very sad.  Today's find was much more positive!
    IMG

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

You killed my lizard?!?!?!
    Raising Arizona 30th Anniversary 15 Reasons Its a Cult Classic Photos

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Me no likely lizard haters. 
  • Options
    I hate that when snakes get ridden over. Especially if people kill them on purpose. Snakes are rad.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I hate that when snakes get ridden over. Especially if people kill them on purpose. Snakes are rad.

Yes all the way!  I would be bummed to see any snake killed, but seeing a dead California king snake was particularly unfortunate.  They are beautiful, non-venomous constrictors harmless to humans, and though not considered endangered, are also not common.    I have only ever seen three in the wild, two live and the one that was run over. 
    I also agree that killing snakes is wrong- unconscionable, really.  That includes rattlesnakes.  Here in the Sierra Foothills, I have heard many stories about people killing rattlesnakes.  That's just so wrong.  There are outfits around here that will come and remove the snake and take it into a wild area away from people, pets, and livestock.  We got home one night and heard one wedged in the corner of two walls.  We have a friend who is experienced in rattlesnake removal or I would have rigged up a hook on a pole and done it myself.  This good friend got the snake into a trash can for us and hauled it away to a safe place.  It was really cool!  Here it is:

IMG

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

You killed my lizard?!?!?!
    Raising Arizona 30th Anniversary 15 Reasons Its a Cult Classic Photos

:)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

Yes all the way!  I would be bummed to see any snake killed, but seeing a dead California king snake was particularly unfortunate.  They are beautiful, non-venomous constrictors harmless to humans, and though not considered endangered, are also not common.    I have only ever seen three in the wild, two live and the one that was run over. 
    I also agree that killing snakes is wrong- unconscionable, really.  That includes rattlesnakes.  Here in the Sierra Foothills, I have heard many stories about people killing rattlesnakes.  That's just so wrong.  There are outfits around here that will come and remove the snake and take it into a wild area away from people, pets, and livestock.  We got home one night and heard one wedged in the corner of two walls.  We have a friend who is experienced in rattlesnake removal or I would have rigged up a hook on a pole and done it myself.  This good friend got the snake into a trash can for us and hauled it away to a safe place.  It was really cool!  Here it is:

IMG

dude. Nice. I saw a pair of rattlesnakes walking my dog in Colorado. I was fishing, dog sniffing. Big rattle sound. My heart jumped into my throat. Picked up my dog and started walking away from snake. Then another one! Good fishing spot I never went back to. Never imagined such a sound like that. Very cool and perfect warning. Super glad my dog didn't get killed though. Nature is beautiful/dangerous.
    Told a ranger of my sighting. He said he never saw one. Maybe never got out of his truck!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

IMG

dude. Nice. I saw a pair of rattlesnakes walking my dog in Colorado. I was fishing, dog sniffing. Big rattle sound. My heart jumped into my throat. Picked up my dog and started walking away from snake. Then another one! Good fishing spot I never went back to. Never imagined such a sound like that. Very cool and perfect warning. Super glad my dog didn't get killed though. Nature is beautiful/dangerous.
    Told a ranger of my sighting. He said he never saw one. Maybe never got out of his truck!

It is a frightening sound, for sure!  So nice of them to give us a heads up! 
    The coolest rattler I've ever seen was a sidewinder in Joshua Trees National Park.  Same basic rattle warning.   It was amazing to watch this snake move laterally.  I kept my distance, for sure!  It moved like this:
    Sidewinder snakes GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Options
    Hot hot hot. It's evolution. Groovy.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Hot hot hot. It's evolution. Groovy.

Haha!  Right on, Lou!

• Options
    happened to look up and out of the window(my home computer space is below this window) and see this Coopers Hawk with a catch. Last pic is all I found after a squirrel crawling along the top of the fence startled the Hawk. What you dont see is another squirrel munching away at feeder boxes I've set out for them.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

IMG

I used to be terrified of snakes, like panicking with heart palpitations, sweating, etc. Just seeing a picture of them in a magazine or on a screen would cause me to have this reaction.  One day I decided fuck this noise.  There is no need to be so scared of them.  I started watching documentaries and nature shows and within a year I was actually holding a corn snake and even had one weaving through my hair.

To the point, I was watching this documentary on rattlesnakes and how in the US southwest the have evolved to have smaller rattles due to human predation. It was really sad.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    This guy was out for a stroll along our fence top about an hour ago. The last picture is him/her looking at the dogs losing their shit in the tv room, about five feet away from it.

• Options
    yesterday morning

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    What is that? Ive not seen those before
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    It's a dog!!!

Jk
    An opossum. Odd creature.  Odd name.  Nocturnal & marsupial I think?(carries it's baby in a pouch). Rare to see them during the day. Probably munchining on mickeyrat's birdseed. I had one hanging off my birdfeeder one night. Really cool and don't see them a lot. 
    Nice picture
  • Options
    Wow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Wow

they are natures garbage disposal. omnivores, quite beneficial. eats ticks and is immune to them itself. eats dead animals.

they look gruesome and people freak out but they are really benign and run from people and my dog.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Three signets hatched in the pond by the 5th hole where I work. 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    yesterday morning
    Cute! Did the possum play dead? 

eddiec said:

Adorable 😊 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    yesterday morning
    Cute! Did the possum play dead? 

eddiec said:

Adorable 😊 

No. Ellie slowly moved up. no growling on her part. no hissing on the possums part. just ducked under the fence behind.. .

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Didn't know England didn't have oppossums. So are they just in America then?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Im sure we don't.  Ive never known of them here. Quick search. No. None here 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,107

Native to North America and South America. Australia also has something called "possums," but it's not the same animal. They are visibly similar to the opossum, but are actually more closely related to kangaroos.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887

Native to North America and South America. Australia also has something called "possums," but it's not the same animal. They are visibly similar to the opossum, but are actually more closely related to kangaroos.
    The More You Know GIFs  Tenor

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly