Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Wobbie said:

The worst! We had a few annoying peacocks on our farm growing up. After a while, we found  another farm a few towns over that would take them. 

We loaded them up and drove them over, and the next day, they had found their way back to our farm. 

We finally just slaughtered and ate them. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Ouch DK.
    Nobody questions an axe with blood round the barn, always got to be some killing going on at the farm. 

Something like that.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    my wife saw a duck the other night in the backyard. highly unusual. YET, they have returned to chill....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    tastes like chicken, Dan?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    tastes like chicken, Dan?
    Closer to turkey. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:

The worst! We had a few annoying peacocks on our farm growing up. After a while, we found  another farm a few towns over that would take them. 

We loaded them up and drove them over, and the next day, they had found their way back to our farm. 

We finally just slaughtered and ate them. 

There is a very short 1/2 page story by Sam Shepard in his book Hawk Moon called "Peacock Killer" that is a bit gruesome, but I also found it oddly funny.  A short film was made based on Shepard's vignette.  I actually haven't seen the film.  I can't imagine it is better than the story itself.  Shepard was quite the writer!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Above the swans head is a red winged black bird (Kinda hard to see).I watched that bird dive bomb the swan for like 20 minutes yesterday. Pretty wild.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Above the swans head is a red winged black bird (Kinda hard to see).I watched that bird dive bomb the swan for like 20 minutes yesterday. Pretty wild.

What a beauty!  I think I can see the red winged blackbird.  That poor swan, lol!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Live really close to the Red River. These guys are always around. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Looks like you have a new pet.
  • Options
    Saw a tiny baby deer today.  Must have just been born. All wobbly. Also tiny tracks by a river. That time of year. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    i saw this amazing  moth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Wow. Nature is crazy. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    It looked like a humming bird. Crazy
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Went down to U.C. Davis, Davis, Calif., to see my sister and took a walk along Putah Creek ("Putah" is from the Lake Wiwok puṭa wuwwe "grassy creek") and saw this beauty.  Unusual to be so close to a Great Blue Heron and not have it fly away!
    IMG
    The photo of the heron was taken under an overpass.  Most of the creek looks like this:
    Walk Along Putah Creek at the UC Davis Arboretum - Review of UC Davis  Arboretum and Public Garden Davis CA - Tripadvisor

• Options
    ^^Nice.

True they usually take off.

Side story. My friend always wanted to see an owl. Saw one in the woods. Posted everywhere and excitedly told me about it. 
    Went back to the spot it was still there on the forest floor.

Same spot.

He approached it and it was one of those fake owl decoys!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    We have an lone bunny living under a robin’s nest in the bushes in our front yard. Pretty sure the rest of its family fell victim to cars, owls, coyotes, or falcons. 

It’s so tiny, but it’s been pretty good about keeping itself alive so far. Good instincts. 

I really don’t like rabbits/bunnies all that much, but I’d like to see this little one thrive. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Got some pics (lower right). 

It’s about a six- or seven-foot drop off that wall. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    it's amazing how often rabbits procreate. with how many end up eaten by predators, you begin to understand why the saying "breeding like rabbits" is 100% true. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:

Love the turtle!
    Wow!  All those snakes!  I've seen lots of snakes over the years but never in a group like that!

• Options
    ^
    I like turtles.

Yeah, the snakes were a total surprise. Ive never seen them grouped up like that either. I have seen them sitting up in the bushes by themselves like in the first picture. Water snakes enjoying the hot sun. So gross! Not a big fan, lol.

• Options
    Hi! said:
    ^
    I like turtles.

Yeah, the snakes were a total surprise. Ive never seen them grouped up like that either. I have seen them sitting up in the bushes by themselves like in the first picture. Water snakes enjoying the hot sun. So gross! Not a big fan, lol.
    Turtles are rad!
    I'm not familiar with that snake.  Are the venomous?  Funny- at first glance they look like a pile of worms.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    ^
    I like turtles.

Turtles are rad!
    I'm not familiar with that snake.  Are the venomous?  Funny- at first glance they look like a pile of worms.
    Not really familiar either. Just a common water snake, I don’t think they are venomous. 

• Options
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    ^
    I like turtles.

Turtles are rad!
    Not really familiar either. Just a common water snake, I don’t think they are venomous. 

That's good!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Now wildlife but natural beauty! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Beautiful!

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,917
    Hi! said:

Awesome pix. 

Lovely colour.  Is it fragrant?

Bunnies, birds, sneks, and turtles oh my!
    what a beastly bounty.

Watched momma raccoon move her three kits last night.  Pics aren’t great as the dogs were losing their shit as she went by.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    UKBgirlUKBgirl UK Posts: 99

Pair of muntjac deer having breakfast in my garden this week.