Options

A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Options
    M. For what its worth  i just showed my partner your  picture and she said you are a good looking  guy. I actually think  her reaction made me insecure because she said it fast  and genuinely.  And she is a stunner so what that tells me is. With your heart and soul it is there  for you too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

P.s i was hungover  this  was the morning after 2 hours sleep.  Rough .
    It was my birthday.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,915
    Im the  guy on the right. ;)
    :lol: 
    Thank you for clarifying Rob =) You’re both lovely!  And I must add, I am so freaking jealous right now, but in a good way  ;)

M, every time you think something negative about yourself, say out loud, “stop!.” Don’t beat yourself up about the thought.  Don’t dwell on it, just tell your brain to stop.   Do it until you don’t need to think about doing it.  You project your negativity about yourself into others which just reinforces your own sense self-worth.

Think of it this way, if you knew someone who was dealing with the same issues of self loathing, would you say to their face, “yeah, mate, you’re a loser!  You’re ugly!  You don’t deserve to be happy!”  Of course you wouldn’t, you’re a nice person.  You’re sensitive and don’t like to see others in pain.  So why do you think it’s okay to do that to yourself?

You need to re-train your brain.  It won’t happen overnight, and you may backslide, but if you just start hour-by-hour and then day-by-day it will be a start.  No one is perfect,  it’s hard at first.  I know this from experience, but it is possible.  (((Hugs)))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    T_A,  I would love it if you could walk around with some hidden camera so you could really see how people react as you shop. To see shopping through a different view may help. My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that people don't necessarily react in quite the way you are reading it. I say this because I'm pretty sure most people shop like me. I put my head down and I am on a mission. Unless you are a small child screaming, emitting an offensive odor or flailing or yelling in some manner, I wouldn't be paying attention. Most others wouldn't either. 

I don't mean it mean in any way, but you seem to have hit a but, but, but phase. There is always a but why something won't work, why people are against you, why life is so bad. Depression is a fucking bitch, but as much as we hand that ladder to help you out of the well you have fallen down, you have to grab hold of the first rung to help make that climb back up happen. But this won't work  But that won't work. Grab hold, man! 

Rob, It is wonderful to see you happy and smiling. For you, I would love you to consider one positive thing each day. Your day might be a shit pile, but you wore your favorite socks, or went for a walk or gave a critter a nice scratch. Consider something, even super small, that made your day better. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    You're a decent looking guy Rob 😉
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    That was 6 years ago  haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    M. For what its worth  i just showed my partner your  picture and she said you are a good looking  guy. I actually think  her reaction made me insecure because she said it fast  and genuinely.  And she is a stunner so what that tells me is. With your heart and soul it is there  for you too
    My beard is gone now. I'm more/less attractive now?
    I shaved it off so I could grow a moustache for Movember. Now that is gone too.
    Say thanks to your partner.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    That was 6 years ago  haha
    6 years is nothing.
  • Options
    :lol: 
    Thank you for clarifying Rob =) You’re both lovely!  And I must add, I am so freaking jealous right now, but in a good way  ;)

M, every time you think something negative about yourself, say out loud, “stop!.” Don’t beat yourself up about the thought.  Don’t dwell on it, just tell your brain to stop.   Do it until you don’t need to think about doing it.  You project your negativity about yourself into others which just reinforces your own sense self-worth.

Think of it this way, if you knew someone who was dealing with the same issues of self loathing, would you say to their face, “yeah, mate, you’re a loser!  You’re ugly!  You don’t deserve to be happy!”  Of course you wouldn’t, you’re a nice person.  You’re sensitive and don’t like to see others in pain.  So why do you think it’s okay to do that to yourself?

You need to re-train your brain.  It won’t happen overnight, and you may backslide, but if you just start hour-by-hour and then day-by-day it will be a start.  No one is perfect,  it’s hard at first.  I know this from experience, but it is possible.  (((Hugs)))
    Thanks S.
    I am very unkind to myself, the self-talk is so bad.
    Even when painting or even in my art classes, they are automatic (e.g., 'I suck', 'I'll never be good at this', 'I'm such a loser I can't get the thing I love right'). 
    I need intensive CBT but who can afford that. Maybe if I work full time again I can do it. But I've been through CBT before and it didn't help as you can see.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    deadendp said:
    T_A,  I would love it if you could walk around with some hidden camera so you could really see how people react as you shop. To see shopping through a different view may help. My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that people don't necessarily react in quite the way you are reading it. I say this because I'm pretty sure most people shop like me. I put my head down and I am on a mission. Unless you are a small child screaming, emitting an offensive odor or flailing or yelling in some manner, I wouldn't be paying attention. Most others wouldn't either. 

I don't mean it mean in any way, but you seem to have hit a but, but, but phase. There is always a but why something won't work, why people are against you, why life is so bad. Depression is a fucking bitch, but as much as we hand that ladder to help you out of the well you have fallen down, you have to grab hold of the first rung to help make that climb back up happen. But this won't work  But that won't work. Grab hold, man! 

Rob, It is wonderful to see you happy and smiling. For you, I would love you to consider one positive thing each day. Your day might be a shit pile, but you wore your favorite socks, or went for a walk or gave a critter a nice scratch. Consider something, even super small, that made your day better. 
    Thanks.
    That'd be interesting with the camera. I should add, it is often elderly Southern European migrant men that stare for a long time. Must be a cultural thing, that is normal for them to do or something I don't know.
    I hate being stared at, always have since childhood. Even if my mum or dad look at me I'll ask them why.
    Sorry for not grabbing hold :(
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

Thanks.
    That'd be interesting with the camera. I should add, it is often elderly Southern European migrant men that stare for a long time. Must be a cultural thing, that is normal for them to do or something I don't know.
    I hate being stared at, always have since childhood. Even if my mum or dad look at me I'll ask them why.
    Sorry for not grabbing hold :(
    My daughter does that.  :insert sarcastic teenager tone:  "WHAT?!"  "Um, nothing."  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Matts3221 said:
    It was a comment I left about Greta Van Fleet on a music page.
    I don't know the guy, he's from another city.
    It happens all the time which is why it gets to me. Probably why I'm still single and have never had a girlfriend. I genuinely do not like the way I look and people on Facebook have made it clear there is something not right with my appearance. 
    I deactivated my old account because of this and started with a new account. Same thing again.

Thoughts Arrived , please don't take this the wrong way but you are placing yourself out there for failing. I understand all too well depression / anxiety / self loathing ect. I went from the ages of 15-30 without really getting much help or very little , with some more self caring about myself from 30-35 , really worked on myself from 35-40 and can say that with a times this year 40 has been the healthiest year I have had mentality.

Cleary you have ( if I am wrong please let me know ) low self esteem , you don't seem to think much of yourself and read very much into what someone says or does not say to you. So putting yourself out online with open comments is just asking to get comments made about you. For the most part any comment section on an internet board is going to be filled with hate and making fun of others.

I would ask , what do you care what this person you have never met thought about you? I think I have said before but you should really set a goal for 2020 that you will just care for yourself , don't worry about dating , don't worry what others will think of you any of that. Just focus on loving yourself , finding what brings you happiness ( not what others think will make you happy ) and just live a year without worrying about those things. Hopeful combining that with therapy will make you feel more comfortable in your skin and these little things will not pull you over the edge. I really think that is a much deeper matter for you than the one off comments , I just think those are the last straw for you and you take it so hard.

I wish you all the best , happy to chat with you about technicians you could use ( mindfulness is very helpful ) , snowed all day and night here yesterday , around 4pm I was ready to just take a nap but I knew that would sleep till 8pm and then just go back to bed at 10pm. I pulled myself out of bed and went to the gym and just jogged for an hour. I know this is easier said than done and I give myself a pat on the back for how far I have come , just a year ago I would have taken the nap.

Be well , take care of yourself and get off social media :)

Thank you for your reply.
    I haven't taken it the wrong way.
    I don't know why but I just care. I haven't stopped thinking about it since.
    I hate how everyone stares at me when I go out to do grocery shopping at the local shopping plaza. 
    I feel like a freak. I genuinely feel like I am ugly which is why people make fun of me and stare.
    Well done for pushing yourself to go to the gym and for improving yourself.

Right now I just feel like I cannot do anything right.
    A job I applied for in October seems to have not eventuated. Have not heard from the place I applied.
    And all those jobs I had to apply for in order to receive my unemployment welfare payments I have heard nothing back.
    I started art classes and feel like I am not good enough. Tonight is my third class and I'm thinking is there a point to spending my money.
    The point of taking a class is to learn, to improve. If the teacher had nothing to teach you, that would be a waste of your money. Go into this with Beginner's Mind, as the Buddhists say. Go to the National Gallery of Victoria (general entry is free). Don't compare, but be inspired. Go to the Botanical Gardens, and take pictures of what you find beautiful or interesting. Throw out whatever this limited mindset is that you are currently holding. 
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    lastexitlondon, that picture of you is fantastic!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    jealous. would love to meet jeff. I know most have Ed at the top of their list, but as a bassist, I'm more inclined to meet Jeff. and probably Stone second. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jealous. would love to meet jeff. I know most have Ed at the top of their list, but as a bassist, I'm more inclined to meet Jeff. and probably Stone second. 
    I want to hang w Boom.
  • Options
    @lastexitlondon Rob buddy, how goes it?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I want to hang w Boom.
    on a beach in the tropics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Quite a cool story.  I had like 5-10mins talking to him alone nobody else bothering him.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    @lastexitlondon Rob buddy, how goes it?
    Not so good My friend 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

I would say anyone on this tread should take a moment to reflect on life and remember this is the holidays. For those that suffer this can be the hardest time of year for some of us. So keep that in mind.

Retraining your brain was mentioned above is something that takes so much work but can be so very helpful. I worked on this for years in therapy and the way it was first explained to me helped me understand it better. Basically think of your brain as a trail in the woods.  For years you have been going down the trail of hating on yourself , negative thoughts ect ect. The trail is laid down pack you walk it everyday. You need to start a new trail and that is not easy you are going into the forest with no path , however with a lot of work and support that forest will soon have a light foot path and can become your new path of thinking.

Had a high level panic attack today that last for the last three hours. I was able to finally talk myself down , not perfect I have tons of issues and I hope I never come off as preachy , just trying to share anything that has helped me in hopes that it helps you.

• Options
    Matts3221 said:

I would say anyone on this tread should take a moment to reflect on life and remember this is the holidays. For those that suffer this can be the hardest time of year for some of us. So keep that in mind.

Retraining your brain was mentioned above is something that takes so much work but can be so very helpful. I worked on this for years in therapy and the way it was first explained to me helped me understand it better. Basically think of your brain as a trail in the woods.  For years you have been going down the trail of hating on yourself , negative thoughts ect ect. The trail is laid down pack you walk it everyday. You need to start a new trail and that is not easy you are going into the forest with no path , however with a lot of work and support that forest will soon have a light foot path and can become your new path of thinking.

Had a high level panic attack today that last for the last three hours. I was able to finally talk myself down , not perfect I have tons of issues and I hope I never come off as preachy , just trying to share anything that has helped me in hopes that it helps you.

That’s a great visual tool Matts.  And you’re right, the holidays can be a real trial for many.  Finding a space to be safe is so important.

I'm so sorry that you experienced a bad panic attack today.  I’m glad you were eventually able to talk yourself down.  (((Hugs)))

I think we are all just trying to share techniques that we’ve learned, whether through therapy or not, that may or may not work for others.  It’s good for those who are currently in a “good place,” as well, cause the “bad place” is always there in the back of your mind waiting to catch you unaware.  The more we share about our experiences, the more tools we have at our disposal to help manage our everyday lives.

Change is scary, even if it means you’ll eventually be in a better place.  It’s hard to leave what’s comfortable and familiar even if it is toxic.  This is a wonderful space to share and support each other even if we can’t be here everyday.

Sending love and light to all who need it, now and in the future.
  • Options
    SD48277 said:
    Matts3221 said:
    It was a comment I left about Greta Van Fleet on a music page.
    I don't know the guy, he's from another city.
    It happens all the time which is why it gets to me. Probably why I'm still single and have never had a girlfriend. I genuinely do not like the way I look and people on Facebook have made it clear there is something not right with my appearance. 
    I deactivated my old account because of this and started with a new account. Same thing again.

Thoughts Arrived , please don't take this the wrong way but you are placing yourself out there for failing. I understand all too well depression / anxiety / self loathing ect. I went from the ages of 15-30 without really getting much help or very little , with some more self caring about myself from 30-35 , really worked on myself from 35-40 and can say that with a times this year 40 has been the healthiest year I have had mentality.

Cleary you have ( if I am wrong please let me know ) low self esteem , you don't seem to think much of yourself and read very much into what someone says or does not say to you. So putting yourself out online with open comments is just asking to get comments made about you. For the most part any comment section on an internet board is going to be filled with hate and making fun of others.

I would ask , what do you care what this person you have never met thought about you? I think I have said before but you should really set a goal for 2020 that you will just care for yourself , don't worry about dating , don't worry what others will think of you any of that. Just focus on loving yourself , finding what brings you happiness ( not what others think will make you happy ) and just live a year without worrying about those things. Hopeful combining that with therapy will make you feel more comfortable in your skin and these little things will not pull you over the edge. I really think that is a much deeper matter for you than the one off comments , I just think those are the last straw for you and you take it so hard.

I wish you all the best , happy to chat with you about technicians you could use ( mindfulness is very helpful ) , snowed all day and night here yesterday , around 4pm I was ready to just take a nap but I knew that would sleep till 8pm and then just go back to bed at 10pm. I pulled myself out of bed and went to the gym and just jogged for an hour. I know this is easier said than done and I give myself a pat on the back for how far I have come , just a year ago I would have taken the nap.

Be well , take care of yourself and get off social media :)

Thank you for your reply.
    I haven't taken it the wrong way.
    I don't know why but I just care. I haven't stopped thinking about it since.
    I hate how everyone stares at me when I go out to do grocery shopping at the local shopping plaza. 
    I feel like a freak. I genuinely feel like I am ugly which is why people make fun of me and stare.
    Well done for pushing yourself to go to the gym and for improving yourself.

Right now I just feel like I cannot do anything right.
    A job I applied for in October seems to have not eventuated. Have not heard from the place I applied.
    And all those jobs I had to apply for in order to receive my unemployment welfare payments I have heard nothing back.
    I started art classes and feel like I am not good enough. Tonight is my third class and I'm thinking is there a point to spending my money.
    The point of taking a class is to learn, to improve. If the teacher had nothing to teach you, that would be a waste of your money. Go into this with Beginner's Mind, as the Buddhists say. Go to the National Gallery of Victoria (general entry is free). Don't compare, but be inspired. Go to the Botanical Gardens, and take pictures of what you find beautiful or interesting. Throw out whatever this limited mindset is that you are currently holding. 
    Thanks.
    I take it you've been to my city seeing you know about the NGV and Botanical Gardens?
    I go annually to the NGV. There's a Basquiet & Haring exhibition right now but I am not into that kind of art.
    The last time I went to the Botanical Gardens was Christmas day last year to take photos for painting. 
    And from those many photos I have not yet painted one. I started one recently but abandoned it as it was not working out which is why I decided to take lessons. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Matts3221 said:

Sorry to hear about your panic attack :(
    Thank you for the visualisation.
    And I agree, this time of the year is always tough especially if you are single.
    Every Christmas me and my mum have a huge fight and it is always her that starts the fight. I dread this Christmas as I know what is coming.
    Last year I had to leave the house and go to the city's botanical gardens to escape as I had nowhere else to go. So decided to walk around all day taking photos.
    And the past two new years eve's I've been home with noone to ring in the new year with and that sucks.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:

That’s a great visual tool Matts.  And you’re right, the holidays can be a real trial for many.  Finding a space to be safe is so important.

I'm so sorry that you experienced a bad panic attack today.  I’m glad you were eventually able to talk yourself down.  (((Hugs)))

I think we are all just trying to share techniques that we’ve learned, whether through therapy or not, that may or may not work for others.  It’s good for those who are currently in a “good place,” as well, cause the “bad place” is always there in the back of your mind waiting to catch you unaware.  The more we share about our experiences, the more tools we have at our disposal to help manage our everyday lives.

Change is scary, even if it means you’ll eventually be in a better place.  It’s hard to leave what’s comfortable and familiar even if it is toxic.  This is a wonderful space to share and support each other even if we can’t be here everyday.

Thanks S.
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:

I know not everything will work for everyone but I think it is great for us all to share. Although the panic attack was very hard ( I ended up taking yesterday off of work ) , I went back to the Dr. yesterday , have been to the Gym 9 times since I saw him a couple of weeks ago and I think that is doing a good deal of work.

Anxiety and Depression is something that never goes away , however as I get older and work ever year for well over 15+ at this point , I am happy that instead of a spiral that could last days / weeks and even a month + at times I can tend to deal with it in a few hours. It is much harder when I am at work because I cannot just think of myself , if I am home makes life a lot easier.

Thank you for the hugs and love from everyone and I really do think of you all on this board almost everyday. This is such a great outlet to talk and share and learn.

Thank you all and I be well today.

• Options
    Just checking in with everyone. Even if you only read this and don't post , I hope everyone has a healthy weekend and know there will never be a cure but it will get better. If you are having a down Friday or weekend , remember us on this board and know we are with you and even if online there is a group of people whom care greatly about those on this board.
  • Options
    Hi @Matts3221.  Thanks for checking in with everyone.  I hope that you, and everyone else, has a healthy weekend also.  
  • Options
    Thanks Matts and S.
    Matts, glad to hear your symptoms are not as long lasting as they once were.
    I'm doing good thus far.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to find the motivation to do anything. Stuck on my phone on the couch or in bed. This feeling of loneliness is too hard to bear.
  • Options
    And my mum made a comment about my face yesterday that's made me even more self conscious.