Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    nicknyr15 said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    For what it's worth, and to try to steer things back on topic, I sat out the Tool onsale entirely and will grab tickets closer to the show.
    Tools and Ticketmaster public sale was the best that I have ever seen. If they are going that route for Pearl Jam next year I am thinking of passing on 10 club tickets since my number is so high for shows that I am not doing GA and going with the public sale. 
    I think you may have had a very different experience than a whole lot of other people. 
    People had issues with Ticketmaster? I know some had issues selecting seats and then they were not available since someone selected them right before they did but aside from that what was the issue? I was able to get tickets for Boston with ease and even went in 10 minutes later to see what else was there and was still able to pull tickets. This system beats the hell out of the bots cleaning up seconds after the drop. 
    Maybe it depends on the show or the venue. I only tried for Detroit. The main issue for me was like you said. I'd select a pair of tickets then it would say someone else beat me to them. That happened to me for about an hour, over and over again. I was logged on before the sale and was already behind over 2,000 other fans at 10:00 am. That is all OK with me even though it's frustrating. 

What I have an issue with is that minutes later, those same tickets that "another fan" beat me to are miraculously available again but now they cost 5-10 times what they cost minutes before. 

Whether it's TM themselves or other people buying tickets and then immediately selling them again for massively increased prices sucks. There is no added value to these tickets, it's just that someone shoved their way into the position of middleman. 

It's the "Verified Resale" system that allows that to happen. 
    Judging from all the blue dots popping up miraculously for double the price , I’m betting it wasn’t another fan beating u to those tickets. I’m willing to bet half the time TM was pulling them. 
    That's what I suspect too. Funny enough, TM sent me an email letting me know that the tickets I was trying to get earlier were available again. When I clicked the link to view them, they were asking over $400.00 each.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    dudeman said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    For what it's worth, and to try to steer things back on topic, I sat out the Tool onsale entirely and will grab tickets closer to the show.
    Tools and Ticketmaster public sale was the best that I have ever seen. If they are going that route for Pearl Jam next year I am thinking of passing on 10 club tickets since my number is so high for shows that I am not doing GA and going with the public sale. 
    I think you may have had a very different experience than a whole lot of other people. 
    People had issues with Ticketmaster? I know some had issues selecting seats and then they were not available since someone selected them right before they did but aside from that what was the issue? I was able to get tickets for Boston with ease and even went in 10 minutes later to see what else was there and was still able to pull tickets. This system beats the hell out of the bots cleaning up seconds after the drop. 
    Maybe it depends on the show or the venue. I only tried for Detroit. The main issue for me was like you said. I'd select a pair of tickets then it would say someone else beat me to them. That happened to me for about an hour, over and over again. I was logged on before the sale and was already behind over 2,000 other fans at 10:00 am. That is all OK with me even though it's frustrating. 

What I have an issue with is that minutes later, those same tickets that "another fan" beat me to are miraculously available again but now they cost 5-10 times what they cost minutes before. 

Whether it's TM themselves or other people buying tickets and then immediately selling them again for massively increased prices sucks. There is no added value to these tickets, it's just that someone shoved their way into the position of middleman. 

Judging from all the blue dots popping up miraculously for double the price , I’m betting it wasn’t another fan beating u to those tickets. I’m willing to bet half the time TM was pulling them. 
    That's what I suspect too. Funny enough, TM sent me an email letting me know that the tickets I was trying to get earlier were available again. When I clicked the link to view them, they were asking over $400.00 each.
    How anyone could defend this action is puzzling. Purposely holding back tickets to dictate demand, therefor creating false demand, then raise the price based on that false demand that they created !! I mean seriously. Cmon 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I still can't believe you're just able to turn around and re-sell them right on the site for whatever you want (while paying a small fee to TM). I had a buddy that grabbed a pair for $160 and wanted to see if he could turn a profit. He listed them for $700 and they sold in about 2 hours.  I was dumbfounded.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:

Yeah, I ran into this problem when I was trying to buy Nick Mason tickets a while back. Lesson learned: don't try to select seats during a frantic onsale. Just go with Best Available and toss em back if you get ones you don't want. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I still can't believe you're just able to turn around and re-sell them right on the site for whatever you want (while paying a small fee to TM). I had a buddy that grabbed a pair for $160 and wanted to see if he could turn a profit. He listed them for $700 and they sold in about 2 hours.  I was dumbfounded.  
    With all due respect, your buddy sucks.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    dudeman said:
    Very little respect is due for people that do that shit.
    DewieCox said:
    dudeman said:
    Very little respect is due for people that do that shit.
    It is what it is. A lot of people do it on this very site with merch.  No difference imo. But I do agree with you for sure. 
    This is pretty much what I'm saying. If someone is determined to spend $700 on a pair of tickets, I'd rather see it go to the people putting in the work to put on the show vs. one of these concert ticket day traders.
    pjl44 said:
    This is pretty much what I'm saying. If someone is determined to spend $700 on a pair of tickets, I'd rather see it go to the people putting in the work to put on the show vs. one of these concert ticket day traders.
    What happens when people “putting on the show” become ticket day traders? I think there’s an impasse on what constitutes “putting on a show”. 
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    What happens when people “putting on the show” become ticket day traders? I think there’s an impasse on what constitutes “putting on a show”. 
    Who are you talking about?
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 
    To me it's simple and there's no impasse:

A band is putting on a show and they need to sell tickets. They contract with a vendor to do that. They can be very hands on like Pearl Jam and take control of pricing and distribution to their liking. Or they can be hands off like Tool and tell the vendor to figure it out themselves. Or somewhere in between. As long as that distribution is being handled by an involved entity, I don't give a shit how they choose to distribute. That's their decision and I adjust accordingly. 

I get that Ticketmaster is doing wonky shit with dynamic pricing. As a rational adult, I'm not throwing a temper tantrum about it. I choose to sit it out and wait to see what happens in the marketplace closer to the show. A decade of data tells me that is the best time to buy a ticket when market factors are in play. Basically, if someone chooses to just piss and moan instead of figuring out the system, it's not Ticketmaster or whomever's fault.

edited October 2019
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 

A band is putting on a show and they need to sell tickets. They contract with a vendor to do that. They can be very hands on like Pearl Jam and take control of pricing and distribution to their liking. Or they can be hands off like Tool and tell the vendor to figure it out themselves. Or somewhere in between. As long as that distribution is being handled by an involved entity, I don't give a shit how they choose to distribute. That's their decision and I adjust accordingly. 

I get that Ticketmaster is doing wonky shit with dynamic pricing. As a rational adult, I'm not throwing a temper tantrum about it. I choose to sit it out and wait to see what happens in the marketplace closer to the show. A decade of data tells me that is the best time to buy a ticket when market factors are in play. Basically, if someone chooses to just piss and moan instead of figuring out the system, it's not Ticketmaster or whomever's fault.

Ticketmaster doesn’t put on shows. They sell tickets and promote shows. You think that is a service worthy of unlimited profit. I think that since they’re offering nothing beyond the typical service to the band that they’re undeserving of anything more than their typical negotiated fee. 

Also, you seem to be just fine with creating false demand and classic bait and switch tactics. “Rational adults” aren’t ok with that type of crap.

Post edited by DewieCox on
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 

Ticketmaster doesn’t put on shows. They sell tickets and promote shows. You think that is a service worthy of unlimited profit. I think that since they’re offering nothing beyond the typical service to the band that they’re undeserving of anything more than their typical negotiated fee. 

Also, you seem to be just fine with creating false demand and classic bait and switch tactics. “Rational adults” aren’t ok with that type of crap.

When you're elected emperor of show business, I look forward to seeing all of that enacted. Here in the real world, microeconomics will continue to take the wheel.
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 

When you're elected emperor of show business, I look forward to seeing all of that enacted. Here in the real world, microeconomics will continue to take the wheel.
    Yeah, people are either gonna accept it to some extent or they won’t, of course. Great deflection, and it’s been very exciting watching your solo game of bullshit tennis to counter the points that several people have made. I haven’t seen anybody throwing tantrums. Accepting bullshit isnt rational, it’s borderline culpability. 
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 

Yeah, people are either gonna accept it to some extent or they won’t, of course. Great deflection, and it’s been very exciting watching your solo game of bullshit tennis to counter the points that several people have made. I haven’t seen anybody throwing tantrums. Accepting bullshit isnt rational, it’s borderline culpability. 
    If you think it's bullshit, figure out how to exploit it. It beats getting red-assed about it. And believe me, it's exploitable. 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited October 2019
    Pneuma is so fucking good, one of the best songs i’ve ever listened to. Chills every single time, can’t wait to see these guys once again up in Boston next month.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Pneuma is so fucking good, one of the best songs i’ve ever listened to. Chills every single time
    Agreed!
    Album gets better every listening. Descending is slowly climbing to to the top for me. I gave the album a 10 day rest and it’s sounds better than ever right now. 
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    nicknyr15 said:
    Album gets better every listening. Descending is slowly climbing to to the top for me. I gave the album a 10 day rest and it’s sounds better than ever right now. 
    I took a short break too and it's going back on tonight. Pneuma, Culling Voices, invincible, and 7empest were standouts the last run through, curious to see if that changes after a break.
    I am wired and fading...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Listened to it for 2 weeks straight after release day. Haven’t since. Still thinks it’s a great album, it just doesn’t have that “make me wanna go back to it” factor.
    Listened to it for 2 weeks straight after release day. Haven’t since. Still thinks it’s a great album, it just doesn’t have that “make me wanna go back to it” factor.
    Yeah, pretty stacked few months for me. Been getting Raconteurs back int the rotation for the show in a few weeks, Wilco getting some time and Sturgill just put out album of the year a week ago.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Pneuma is so fucking good, one of the best songs i’ve ever listened to. Chills every single time, can’t wait to see these guys once again up in Boston next month.
    That was the first song that blew me away.
    Now Invincible has that same effect.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I often find myself losing concentration when listening to Tempest. It's like I zone out and then come back and somehow the song has gone and I've missed parts. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Listened to it for 2 weeks straight after release day. Haven’t since. Still thinks it’s a great album, it just doesn’t have that “make me wanna go back to it” factor.
    Invincible and Descending have me returning.  I'm really starting to melt into those songs now.

I still don't care for pnuema yet though...
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticketmaster and you. 

I'd be stunned if Tool were not sharing in that "unlimited profit."
    Stub hub tickets for lower level were minimum $400 + fees (in the NE) and that's almost exactly the same price as these new batch of platinum tickets.

It seems the promoter planned to hold back a tiny % of tickets and match the prices on the market place. I'm not sure why Tool and/or the promoter should be denied this opportunity. 

And it certainly beats whatever was available on stub hub for PJ Fenway where about zero turf seats were for sale and grandstand was $350 + fees until very close to the show. Grandstand .

At least with Tools business model, all fans got a chance to get good seats. And the $400 will probably drop.

• May 30th said:
    Pneuma is so fucking good, one of the best songs i’ve ever listened to. Chills every single time
    Agreed!
    Certainly
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Wonder if they would play the album in its entirety, took a short break and finished off with some hits as the encore. Would you be okay with that? I dont think I would mind. But that would mean like a 2-3 song encore if we're lucky.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited October 2019
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    That has literally nothing to do with my comment. I am saying it should be illegal for Ticketmaster to have its own reselling sight, where they sell the tix and then offer up their own scalping platform on the very same website to buy back the tickets they just sold, and then resell them at quadruple the price. THAT should be illegal. I can't believe it isn't.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    That has literally nothing to do with my comment. I am saying it should be illegal for Ticketmaster to have its own reselling sight, where they sell the tix and then offer up their own scalping platform on the very same website to buy back the tickets they just sold, and then resell them at quadruple the price. THAT should be illegal. I can't believe it isn't.
    Disagree. That same type of platform has allowed me to buy tickets below face value many, many times. People always focus on the negative.