Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Alright folks, 3 albums in and this is like freaking destroying my brain! I can't believe I've slept on these records. Just so damn heavy! 
    You listening in order? Enjoy the ride!
    Lateralus next... enjoy the ride indeed. 
    Oh man, haha
    Listening to D/R/T for the first time...  :o   
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,929
    edited October 2021
    Alright folks, 3 albums in and this is like freaking destroying my brain! I can't believe I've slept on these records. Just so damn heavy! 
    Oh man, haha
    Yeah, @2-feign-reluctance is gonna enjoy that 25 minutes or so haha

Curious of his final thoughts when completed on top 3 album ranking in order.
  • Options
    Oh man, haha

No one is going to chime in that he should listen to Salival???
  • Options
    Oh man, haha

No one is going to chime in that he should listen to Salival???
    He should...but at this point, he might as well get through the five, then do Salival.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Happy to share thoughts! I will say, these records are audio hot sauce! Wow! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I will say, it is hard to compare the titles to some of these songs to any other band I know. Very interesting...my favorite tracks so far are Jimmy and Part of Me. I did listen to Aenima twice. I like it better than Undertow. Is that blasphemous in Tool world? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Final thought for today on Tool, their drummer is out of control. Does he have four legs? The double bass pedal action is insane! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Final thought for today on Tool, their drummer is out of control. Does he have four legs? The double bass pedal action is insane! 
    I've shared this here before, but here is an awesome video of Danny in action. This is a song off the new album, but worth the watch.

https://youtu.be/FssULNGSZIA

Also, Aenima is better than Undertow, in my opinion. Definitely not blasphemous.

Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I actually thought it would be blasphemous to say you preferred Undertow to Aenima. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Aenima > undertow. Not blasphemous. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    He’s my favorite drummer. Period. He’s insane. 
  • Options
    I've shared this here before, but here is an awesome video of Danny in action. This is a song off the new album, but worth the watch.

Also, Aenima is better than Undertow, in my opinion. Definitely not blasphemous.

Hi-hat above his snare? Man, dude is a freaking rhythm beast! His fills and bass pedal work are just so precise! Also, if this is recent, the band sounds AMAZING! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Hi-hat above his snare? Man, dude is a freaking rhythm beast! His fills and bass pedal work are just so precise! Also, if this is recent, the band sounds AMAZING! 
    Was 2019 in Boston 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    I think this is too much material for one week. When I got hooked back in 2006 or 2007 (whenever 10k came out) that was my order:
    10000 days
    Aniema
    Lateralus 
    Opiate
    Undertow
    Salival

It's my favorite band since then. 
  • Options

Was 2019 in Boston 
    I love how he flips the stick around during the rimshots,... far & away my all time favorite drummer. 

He turned 60 this year, and is on record as saying he can only hit the drums this hard for a finite amount of time, which is a big reason I'm cramming in 3 shows on this tour. 
  • Options

Was 2019 in Boston 
    I love how he flips the stick around during the rimshots,... far & away my all time favorite drummer. 

He turned 60 this year, and is on record as saying he can only hit the drums this hard for a finite amount of time, which is a big reason I'm cramming in 3 shows on this tour. 
    Yeah, which is why I added Boston again, so doing two now. 

I am hopeful they switch shit up this go around compared to the 2019/2020 run. Would be nice for them to rotate in some other songs that Maynard can comfortably hit the notes on, like Right in Two for example. There shit is just so tight live that I wonder how many songs they actually rehearse and even consider playing live outside there regular setlist. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Can't wait for the KC show
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    10,000 days was released on A Friday and Pearl Jam Self Titled was released the following Tuesday back in 2006. I remember calling a local record shop and asking them if they might be able to help me out with getting the PJ album a few days early when I came into pick up the new Tool. His response was, “You need a kidney with that?”  He did hook me up.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Hi! said:
    10,000 days was released on A Friday and Pearl Jam Self Titled was released the following Tuesday back in 2006. I remember calling a local record shop and asking them if they might be able to help me out with getting the PJ album a few days early when I came into pick up the new Tool. His response was, “You need a kidney with that?”  He did hook me up.
    really? wow. I've requested things like that before, and I have always been denied. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Hi! said:
    really? wow. I've requested things like that before, and I have always been denied. 
    Yeah, he was cool about it, had it all packaged together and ready for me when I got there. He made me aware that he typically doesn’t do that sort of thing, I remember he was a PJ fan so he probably understood.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    edited October 2021

Was 2019 in Boston 

I am hopeful they switch shit up this go around compared to the 2019/2020 run. Would be nice for them to rotate in some other songs that Maynard can comfortably hit the notes on, like Right in Two for example. There shit is just so tight live that I wonder how many songs they actually rehearse and even consider playing live outside there regular setlist. 

I think its a time thing. they are on prompt and off prompt. little bullshitting in between.  so length of song determines quite a bit of it...
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Was 2019 in Boston 

I think its a time thing. they are on prompt and off prompt. little bullshitting in between.  so length of song determines quite a bit of it...
    Solid point. 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Was 2019 in Boston 

Solid point. 

I think the visual aspect of their shows also makes rotating more than a couple songs difficult. 

When they play Intolerance or No Quarter for example, the video screens show the album cover animated, but little else. The set list mainstays on the other hand each have a specific video (if not official video like Stinkfist, Aenima etc) and also an elaborate light and in Aenima's case, laser show. 

I don't think any one of us would give a shit if there was no video accompaniment for say 4 Degrees, or Jerk Off, but with the amount of time the band puts into the visual aspect of the show, I can't help but feel like it's also a factor.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's another great point too. I wasn't really thinking about the visualization. 

At the end of the day, I'm perfectly fine with no changes to the setlist and seeing them 2 times per run. A change up would be a bonus, but certainly not expected.

I don't think there is another band on the planet I would see more than once per tour with the same setlist every night. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 809
    Maynard chooses the sets. I can't imagine much change other than rotating in Culling Voices. Swamp Song and The Patient were two I was gutted to not see in Auckland but given he had Covid I can understand.

Tool merch in the Alex Grey COSM shop just went on sale. Snagged the torch art blanket which I had my eye on for a while. Hoping there aren't any issues shipping to NZ (which is why I chose FedEx and not USPS).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think I’m gonna treat myself to this. I deserve it, dammit.

• Options
    Hi! said:
    I remember not finding Avocado in any store, only in Target?
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    I remember not finding Avocado in any store, only in Target?
    I thought that was Backspacer. 

• Options
    Can’t wait for the VanAndel show. James attended art school in GR. so they usually swing through.  He also graduated high school from same school as my Mom, but many years after.See y’all there!

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 809
    I'm sure both Backspacer and 10000 Days were released on 2 May, 2006. Was living in the UK at the time and pre-ordered both (got neither on the day haha).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018