The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah this thread wasn’t started to talk about fucking mushrooms.

I’ll eat them when I’m out at a nice dinner if they are in something good, but that is it. Get them out of my face otherwise 
    Beets though. Those are delicious 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Some people don't like beets.
    I think they are crazy!

Morels don't taste like basement, they would definitely be my fungus of choice.

But beets... Roasted garden beets that came up to golf ball size by late June in a cool wet spring...damn, so sweet you save them for last because it's almost dessert.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited May 2019
    Beets. Meh, if I want to eat something that tastes like dirt, I’d just eat dirt. Radishes, rutabagas and turnips too. Yuck. I’m not a fan of any of them.  I love parsnips, Brussel sprouts, and cabbage though, so go figure.

Back to tasty things like mushrooms... My wife makes a venison marsala with fresh, foraged chanterelles that is out of this world.  

Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Beets. Meh, if I want to eat something that tastes like dirt, I’d just eat dirt. Radishes, rutabagas and turnips too. Yuck. I’m not a fan of any of them.  I love parsnips, Brussel sprouts, and cabbage though, so go figure.

Back to tasty things like mushrooms... My wife makes a venison marsala with fresh, foraged chanterelles that is out of this world.  

Mushrooms taste way more like dirt than beets lol

Then again, most people have never had good beets.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Matsutakes sliced thin with a little butter and soy or STFU. Mushroom and onion is my preferred pizza topping for an everyday pie.  And I love beets, especially golden beets slowly roasted. But it is true that even the sweetest beets have a little dirt taste. Absolutely. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Anyone tried Beyond Meat?
    I'm not one for shit that is meant to taste like meat but is vegetarian, in general.  I think it is better to embrace the vegetables for what they are 
    Wife bought some Beyond Burgers and Beyond Sausage
    Cooked up the sausage and..... surprisingly tasty.  It does not have the pork taste of a good sausage but I spiced the fuck out of them, loaded with onions and peppers, and baked.
    Very tasty stuff.  Not sausage, but damned if it didn't taste / feel similar.
    Interested to see what the burgers taste like.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Anyone tried Beyond Meat?
    I'm not one for shit that is meant to taste like meat but is vegetarian, in general.  I think it is better to embrace the vegetables for what they are 
    Wife bought some Beyond Burgers and Beyond Sausage
    Cooked up the sausage and..... surprisingly tasty.  It does not have the pork taste of a good sausage but I spiced the fuck out of them, loaded with onions and peppers, and baked.
    Very tasty stuff.  Not sausage, but damned if it didn't taste / feel similar.
    Interested to see what the burgers taste like.

We bought some burgers a month or so ago but never cooked them. Pretty sure they’ve gone bad by now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah if you didn't freeze them they should go in the bin.
    I’m curious about Beyond Meat as well. Been considering picking up some of the burgers. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’m making Rockefeller oysters tonight for my wife she’s working on Mother’s Day the life of a ER nurse , and baking some chicken with vegetables as the main dish with salad pictures to follow I bought 2dz oysters I have to chuck them myself all good ☝️
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    That sounds awesome, sure she is going to love them.
    Unreal how good these turned out 🤤Rockefeller oysters !
    Nice!
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    I may be lying but this was the best tuna sashimi I've ever seen.
    Whoa hell yeah I’d eat that just like that ! With cold beer 🍺 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Is that seriously sashimi? Or is it supposed to be funny, and is a photo of some kind of geological matter? :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Agree, that looks like a rock of some sort....
    I say rock too
    Looks like hard tack candy lol
    As they went into the oven, for my sprout peeps!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wonder if Sprouts are similar to Cilantro, in that they're both either loved or hated...?  I've read about some genetic variant about the soapy herb.

Those up there (and many others I've seen) look and sound fantastic, but I just can't get past the taste.

(that's what she said)
    I commented to my wife while we were eating, tonight, how I hated sprouts as a kid.
    Love them now 
    Always have loved cilantro.  Love the smell.
    I hated sprouts, beets and asparagus as a kid. 3 of my favorites now. Won’t accept mushrooms
    Live asparagus.  Gotta keep 'em, though.  
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Dessert "sushi" my 11 year old and I made tonight for her slumber party ;)

We made rice krispy treats and flattened them out, stuffed with kiwi and strawberries and then covered them with fruit roll ups.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Your kiddo did a great job!  I'm not a fan of fruit roll-ups, but they're perfect for the "seaweed".
    Ha!  So creative.  I'm not sure I would love the taste based on description....but they look great and I'm sure the kids will love them!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Thanks guys! Ha ha not my favorite either but I'm sure the girls will enjoy. 
    Wow! This thread got buried. Everyone stop eating?  

Anyways, made this tasty treat. Fresh sauerkraut with freshly made braunschweiger on a slice of pumpernickel.