Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    We have an abundance of Guatemalan immigrants in Ohio, though their cuisine hasn't gone mainstream.  I think she's talking about store bought, home prepared corn tortillas, in which case the secret is to steam them up.  They are practically inedible unless you steam, deep fry, or pan sear them.  

Just 10-20 seconds of heat per side should do the trick. No need for steam if they're well-made tortillas.

When I moved to NYC, it took me nearly a year to find decent tortillas for home, and it was quite a hike to get them each time but worth it.

It's a damn shame what passes for tortillas in the northeast US.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    We have an abundance of Guatemalan immigrants in Ohio, though their cuisine hasn't gone mainstream.  I think she's talking about store bought, home prepared corn tortillas, in which case the secret is to steam them up.  They are practically inedible unless you steam, deep fry, or pan sear them.  

Just 10-20 seconds of heat per side should do the trick. No need for steam if they're well-made tortillas.

When I moved to NYC, it took me nearly a year to find decent tortillas for home, and it was quite a hike to get them each time but worth it.

You are 100% correct. Its getting better though. 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    bbiggs said:
    Get_Right said:
    At least 5 ingredients and what looks like wheat tortillas. Still a taco tempo?
    And you are correct...wheat tortillas.  This is actually a funny follow up to the recent taco debates.  In reality, it could be argued these are not even tacos.  Damn tasty, but not tacos in a traditional sense. 

Ha, I was stirring the pot a bit.  Put it in a tortilla and fold it in half - its a taco. Even if you put ketchup on it :)

The Official Silver Sky Thread  Page 22  Official PRS Guitars
    hahaha, woof!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've been meaning to grabagrab abagof maseca and make my own for years, but never got around to it .
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    I'm a food failure. I had chicken salad made with Miracle Whip in a tortilla wrap yesterday. It was delicious! :smiley:

We don't like corn tortillas. Maybe I have missed something. They are like eating raw, flattened and dried flavorless polenta. (Or mush if you are DK.) Oh, and they crack and fall apart. 
    This sounds to me like you have a population of zero Mexicans in Ohio. Corn tortillas should taste and feel like warm comfort. They should not crack, but if your fillings are juicy enough, they’ll seep through a single tortilla, which is why it’s always good to have a second one. 

And don’t eat tacos with corn tortillas doubled up! That’s totally wrong! You get way too much tortilla and not enough fixins that way. The second tortilla is for catching/sopping up the fillings that leaked out of the first tortilla. 
    In my corner of OH, there is not a large population of Mexican folks. Nepalese, Italian, German, Lebanese, Russian and African American, but not a lot of Mexican. 

And I acknowledge gambs' theory of store bought. I may very well make them wrong. 

DK, There will be no doubling up. It would seem like too much tortilla. If I'm not liking them now, no way in hell I'm eating two together for a better hold. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,027
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:

You can throw them in the microwave too.  I learned that from the Mexicans I used to work with.

There is zero things wrong w using 2 tortillas...
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    edited May 2020

Turkey chili bubbling on the stovetop. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    Turkey chili bubbling on the stovetop. 
    Yes, please. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    Beef & bean burritos tonight.  Yum!

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Beef & bean burritos tonight.  Yum!

Yum!! We have had a Mexican theme going for the last few days with all the taco debates. 
  • Options
    Yep, that’s what inspired me.  Had originally planned on tacos, but changed my mind at the last minute.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a million times. Be nice to your sales reps! Half a dozen 1.5 pound lobster 

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a million times. Be nice to your sales reps! Half a dozen 1.5 pound lobster 

Oh yeah.
  • Options

Enjoy those crustaceans. Are you melting up the butter?
  • Options

Mmmm, that brings back fond memories of my youth.  Enjoy!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I can take apart a lobster like I can do few other things.  ;)

How do you cook 'em?

What is your favorite part?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

An expensive way to eat butter.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Sea bugs are cheap. Now what? Maybe tacos :}
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I like lobster but more than a couple bites? Too rich for me. 

Gimme a good bisque though, and I’m yours for life. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    I like lobster but more than a couple bites? Too rich for me. 

Gimme a good bisque though, and I’m yours for life. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    All I need is some tasty bisque, a cool buzz, and I’m fine ;)
  • Options
    I can take apart a lobster like I can do few other things.  ;)

How do you cook 'em?

What is your favorite part?
    Oh yeah, they have no chance with me. 

Steamed them. Usually my go to method.

Claws baby. Nothing better than when you crack into a big meaty claw
  • Options

That’s why you go light on the butter. So you can enjoy the rich, sweet, tenderness of those little fuckers 
  • Options

That’s why you go light on the butter. So you can enjoy the rich, sweet, tenderness of those little fuckers 
    Meh.

Crawfish are fun for about 5 minutes too and then it gets old.  They taste good but just like Lobster I get bored.

Someone mentioned Bisque.  I have had the most delightful Lobster Bisque down in Weesiana.  Them people know how to cook.  They love their salt though.  Find a place that goes light on the salt and actually seasons the food and yum.
  • Options
    Few things in the world I enjoy more than pounds and pounds of crawfish on a table with shrimp, potatoes, corn, smoked sausages.  Hands all messy and spicy. People sitting around drinking cold ass beers. Music playing.

Oh yeah, about a once a year thing that I can get live crawfish from my seafood spot and that time is about to come and pass without likely being able to do this with other people this year...fucking corona...
  • Options
    Few things in the world I enjoy more than pounds and pounds of crawfish on a table with shrimp, potatoes, corn, smoked sausages.  Hands all messy and spicy. People sitting around drinking cold ass beers. Music playing.

Oh yeah, about a once a year thing that I can get live crawfish from my seafood spot and that time is about to come and pass without likely being able to do this with other people this year...fucking corona...
    I've been to crawfish boils that took up complete parks and every picnic table had mountains of carcasses when finished.  It was truly a sight to behold.
  • Options

I've been to crawfish boils that took up complete parks and every picnic table had mountains of carcasses when finished.  It was truly a sight to behold.
    I love crawfish boils. But, growing up in Maryland we had the crab feasts with bushels of crab. Same thing with the heaps of shells all over the table, and burning fingers from Old Bay getting under your cuticles. So good!!

• Options
    MF117973 said:

I love crawfish boils. But, growing up in Maryland we had the crab feasts with bushels of crab. Same thing with the heaps of shells all over the table, and burning fingers from Old Bay getting under your cuticles. So good!!

I am still a fan of the Blue Claw.  Haven't had one in a while.  Might have to change that this year.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    MF117973 said:

I am still a fan of the Blue Claw.  Haven't had one in a while.  Might have to change that this year.

This was in Annapolis a few years ago. If the crabs don't tempt you, they were sitting on top of bbq ribs. That was a feast.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    My fish guy landed a Tuna this week. I ordered online and picked up a piece of belly today. Butter.

It was the fattiest cut, which tastes the best, but very hard to keep it from falling apart. Threw in some Ebi and Tako as well.