The National Football League

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited January 2019
    Wobbie said:
    Just play a full 10-minute quarter of OT in the playoffs. Still tied? Then go to a sudden death 2nd overtime. It might make for an injury risk. But every football play makes for an injury risk. 
    I would prefer a 15 minute quarter. Some teams can go on a nearly 10 minute drive.

i wonder what is the longest time of possession drive in NFL history :confused:
    2000 NFC Championship, Jason Sehorn intercepted a pass from Daunte Culpeper with 13:06 remaining in the game. Up 41-0, the Giants held onto the ball until the end, gaining only 54 yards in the process. Official TOP of the offensive drive was 12:53.

• Wobbie said:
    Just play a full 10-minute quarter of OT in the playoffs. Still tied? Then go to a sudden death 2nd overtime. It might make for an injury risk. But every football play makes for an injury risk. 
    I would prefer a 15 minute quarter. Some teams can go on a nearly 10 minute drive.

I would prefer that too but now that they've changed the overtime to 10 minutes in the regular seasons, we may be stuck with it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:
    the juggler follows trey wingo on twitter :giggle:
    The Juggler’s everywhere, Focker. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • And how much did the Chiefs front office pay the person to shine a laser pointer in TB’s face?
    Every team has these sort of moronic fans. Even yours. Some Patriots fan pulled the fire alarm at the Steelers hotel at like 3am on the day of the 2016 AFC Championship...forcing everybody out of the hotel into the cold. 

The worst of all is that idiot making the whistling sound during the Saints/Rams game. My friend works for the Saints and I jokingly texted him during the game and asked him to go into the crowd and kill the whistling guy. He texted back, "Dude..he's right fucking behind me." I didn't have a cheering interest in the game so I started cheering the Rams to just because of that whistling guy.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Wobbie said:

I would prefer that too but now that they've changed the overtime to 10 minutes in the regular seasons, we may be stuck with it. 
    Just do overtime similar to college. Each team starts on the 25 yard line. have 4 downs to get 10 yards or score.  Can still kick a field goal. But if you score a TD, you have to go for 2. No extra points. And no timeouts in overtime.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Texas Shootout lol

The Chefs had four quarters to win the game and people seem to be stuck on OT rules. OT is extra time to settle the game... not a whole new game.

Stop the f**king offence. If you're trying to win a game to go to the Superbowl... you have to be tougher on defence than wet tissue paper.

The Pats couldn't win with a FG. If the Chefs had stopped them... they could have won with a FG. They had that advantage. But, they offered little to no resistance- at home no less- and lost the game. Fair and square.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I agree it is not perfect but I think the existing OT rules are fine.  Win the game. Score a TD.  Stop the O.  Get a FG.  Stop them from getting a winning TD and hold them to a FG so you get another shot.  Big deal.  I agree w/Dirty Thirty -- win the game when you have the chance.  No bitching after,
    (Unless you are Aints and the refs totally job you with a non call on a play that was obvious to anyone watching.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I agree it is not perfect but I think the existing OT rules are fine.  Win the game. Score a TD.  Stop the O.  Get a FG.  Stop them from getting a winning TD and hold them to a FG so you get another shot.  Big deal.  I agree w/Dirty Thirty -- win the game when you have the chance.  No bitching after,
    (Unless you are Aints and the refs totally job you with a non call on a play that was obvious to anyone watching.)

That is the travesty from this past weekend. The Saints got screwed. I feel there should be some officials not granted a playoff game for 2-3 years as a result.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wobbie said:

Just do overtime similar to college. Each team starts on the 25 yard line. have 4 downs to get 10 yards or score.  Can still kick a field goal. But if you score a TD, you have to go for 2. No extra points. And no timeouts in overtime.  
    I would have no problem with that, other than they should start at midfield, at least make them earn getting in scoring position.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Texas Shootout lol

The Chefs had four quarters to win the game and people seem to be stuck on OT rules. OT is extra time to settle the game... not a whole new game.

Stop the f**king offence. If you're trying to win a game to go to the Superbowl... you have to be tougher on defence than wet tissue paper.

The Pats couldn't win with a FG. If the Chefs had stopped them... they could have won with a FG. They had that advantage. But, they offered little to no resistance- at home no less- and lost the game. Fair and square.
    Stopping the offence after 4 quarters is just not easily done.  I think both teams should possess the ball.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Texas Shootout lol

Stopping the offence after 4 quarters is just not easily done.  I think both teams should possess the ball.

For the Chefs apparently. They also had four quarters to stop them as well. And they possessed the ball multiple times during the four quarters of regulation.

The Chefs won the original coin flip no? Didn't they defer? And then NE goes on a methodical 10 minute drive while the KC offence sat on the sidelines squirming? My point being... a 'coin flip' never cost the Chefs the game.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    So if each team scores a td on their 1st possessions in OT , the team that scored 1st gets the ball again. Why is that fair then? The cycle will just continue. It fine the way it is. It's big boy professional football. I equate people that want to change the OT rules to people wanting participation trophies.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    It's the playoffs.  No harm in giving both offences the ball, then go to sudden or a generic version of college football rules.  None of the major pro-north American sports decides games this way.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    JK_Livin said:
    So if each team scores a td on their 1st possessions in OT , the team that scored 1st gets the ball again. Why is that fair then? The cycle will just continue. It fine the way it is. It's big boy professional football. I equate people that want to change the OT rules to people wanting participation trophies.
    We should do the same across all sports. In baseball, if the away team scores in the top half of the inning, game over. Should have pitched better. No more 3 on 3 overtime in hockey, straight shootout. And if the first player scores,  game over.  Goalie should have stopped the first shot. Same in soccer.  Basketball, first team to score off a jump ball wins. 
  • JK_Livin said:
    We should do the same across all sports. In baseball, if the away team scores in the top half of the inning, game over. Should have pitched better. No more 3 on 3 overtime in hockey, straight shootout. And if the first player scores,  game over.  Goalie should have stopped the first shot. Same in soccer.  Basketball, first team to score off a jump ball wins. 
    You've tried to make this point before. It's not the same thing.
    JK_Livin said:
    It actually is the same thing. 
    Hockey overtime fucking sucks!  It is completely different in the regular season than in the playoffs. No other league does this. 3-on-3 and shootouts are a shitty way to decide games.
  • JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

Baseball is a game played in frames (top and bottom halves of innings). There is no running time component to that sport... so no.
    Playoffs in NHL is sudden death with five skaters vs five skaters... so no.
    Soccer has always had a shootout format that they are comfortable with... so no.
    Basketball points are easy to come by. A basket is much easier than a TD or FG (hence the 100+ points for either team every night)... so no.

No.
  • Wobbie said:
    Trey WIngo is another hammer I can't stand...
    JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

Baseball is a game played in frames (top and bottom halves of innings). There is no running time component to that sport... so no.
    Soccer has always had a shootout format that they are comfortable with... so no.
    Basketball points are easy to come by. A basket is much easier than a TD or FG (hence the 100+ points for either team every night)... so no.

No.
    Baseball both teams get a chance to score. If away team scores in the top, home team gets a chance to score as well.
    Hockey, both teams (99% of them time) get possession of the puck with equal chance to score.
    Soccer, both teams get possession of the ball with equal chances to score.
    Basketball, both teams get possession of the ball with equal chances to score. 
    The way it works in college is that possession alternates each OT period.  So if you got the ball first in the 1st OT, you get the ball 2nd in the 2nd OT, 1st in the 3rd OT, etc.  Beginning with the 3rd OT, teams must go for 2 when scoring a TD.
  • JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

No.
    Baseball both teams get a chance to score. If away team scores in the top, home team gets a chance to score as well.
    Hockey, both teams (99% of them time) get possession of the puck with equal chance to score.
    You’re taking the defence off the hook. A team needs to be strong on both sides of the ball- especially when trying to earn a berth to the SB.

The Chefs were not as deserving as the Pats. The right team won. And I wanted the Chefs.
  • JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

No.
    You’re taking the defence off the hook. A team needs to be strong on both sides of the ball- especially when trying to earn a berth to the SB.

The Chefs were not as deserving as the Pats. The right team won. And I wanted the Chefs.
    The Chefs!
    Image result for muppets chef
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    Trey WIngo is another hammer I can't stand...
    oh, by the way, juggler loves him!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    what’s all this offence defence? It’s offense and defense.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Maybe the Chiefs shouldn't have settled for the FG. Maybe they should've tried one more toss or 2 to the endzone. Don't put your fate in a coin when you do have an option.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:
    a team that win's the coin toss in overtime has a higher percentage to win than the team that loses the toss because of the rule that a TD wins it. is it fair to give one team a greater mathematical chance to win a game because of the coin toss?  Especially in a playoff game?  you have to be crazy to think that is ok. 

for playoffs games they should play a full 15 minute quarter. each team gets 2 timeouts.  keep playing quarters until you have a winner. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

No.

but mathematically they were given less chance to win because of the coin toss. it's not a 50/50 split on percentages to win on who wins and loses the coin toss.  offense and defense can win with one score but the probability of an offense scoring a TD is far greater than the Defense scoring a TD or safety.  the mathematics of using a coin toss doesn't work fairly for both teams once the coin toss has been determined.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    look to the CFL for your OT rules that make sense (except where the ball is placed-it should be farther back-centre field). 

playing another full quarter is not the solution. the players are already exhausted and you'd just end up with more injuries or worse. 

OT in NFL is nonsense.  you win the coin toss, you most likely win the game. it's that simple. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2019
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Actually no.

No.

but mathematically they were given less chance to win because of the coin toss. it's not a 50/50 split on percentages to win on who wins and loses the coin toss.  offense and defense can win with one score but the probability of an offense scoring a TD is far greater than the Defense scoring a TD or safety.  the mathematics of using a coin toss doesn't work fairly for both teams once the coin toss has been determined.
    What would be fairest is to simply add time to the game like ‘extra time’ in soccer.

In such a situation, it would have been Pats’ ball anyways.

What is fair is both teams had a chance to win in regulation. Get the job done and don’t worry about OT and how the OT format might not work for you.