Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    Oh and Bowles coaching is a good thing.  Great personality.  He wasn't given the right tools here in NY to succeed but the players did play for him.

I hope he flourishes in Tampa.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    Oh and Bowles coaching is a good thing.  Great personality.  He wasn't given the right tools here in NY to succeed but the players did play for him.

I hope he flourishes in Tampa.
    I was a little surprised that Leftwich didn't get the job, based on the belief that he is highly regarded in the league and is expected to eventually be a head coach. But then I read an article that made the point of Tampa being in win now mode since they have a veteran team and Brady for a short time only. (we assume)  It said the team needs a veteran coach to maximize their chance at getting back to the SB. Made sense.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    edited March 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Why on earth would this only be for the playoffs?
    I think the league is very focused on keeping the games to 3 hours.  While college is insane,  I wouldn't mind this being regular and playoffs. Plus,  they slowly step into everything,  that's for sure 
    It's one more possesion...in overtime. If the current way is deemed unfair for the playoffs, I don't see how they can justify it being fair for the regular season, which determines who makes the playoffs. It just makes no sense to me what so ever.
    Regular season you might have 1 or 2 tough games that go into OT.  The playoffs are supposed to be the best teams so they need a better chance to win and advance.

Let's face it, no one really gives a shit if the Jets lose in OT to the Dolphins in the regular season but you would care if the Jets squeaked in the playoffs and beat the Bills because of a coin toss.
    I am not sure I totally understand your point but are you saying the regular season, which is only 17 games, doesn't mean much? A team between two bad teams would have implications on where they draft the following Spring, it also has implications on other teams in their conference jockeying for a playoff spot. A game between two good teams would obviously determine their own playoff positioning/division championship. 

I think having a coin toss play a huge roll in determining any of that, in any game of consequence, is archaic and stupid.
    Well if you are worried about the draft then you won't care much about losing in OT.
    The point is every game matters for something. 
    If you’re not trying to win then you really don’t give a shit about scoring in OT then.
    Who says they are not trying to win? And what about the teams in the mix for a division title or 1 seed? I still don't understand your point. 
    If it's 1 or 2 games during the regular season and the toss is 52% then it's not that big a difference to warrant a change.

Every game does not matter.  Winless vs winless isn't getting my viewing eyes.
    I think that's a bullshit excuse man. Whether its 52% or 62%, they all matter. I bet it would matter to you if your team missed out on a playoff birth while not getting an offensive possession in OT because of some dumb coin flip. lol

And all we are talking about is one stinking possession. It's not like we're asking for much here. Common sense needs to come into play instead of waiting for more examples of the current system to not work to warrant a change. I'd rather them be proactive.
    Hey, I did ask what the last 2 years numbers are.  I can't find them as I think they would be closer to Playoff numbers.

No, I don't want my team limping into the damn playoffs only to get their ass handed to them.  I never understood that mentality "we made the playoffs".  That's great but you didn't make it past the 1st round and had zero business being there...

That's just me though.
    Dude.....you are not thinking this through. What if your team lost the last game of the season in OT while not getting an offensive possession and that knocked you out of the 1 seed and home field advantage?  lol I am sure you would be pissed. 

It seems like you are content to just waiting for a high profile disaster like what happened in the playoffs last year to make the change. Better to make it now, as it is a simple one, to prevent that shit from happening.

Every game matters. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the league is very focused on keeping the games to 3 hours.  While college is insane,  I wouldn't mind this being regular and playoffs. Plus,  they slowly step into everything,  that's for sure 
    It's one more possesion...in overtime. If the current way is deemed unfair for the playoffs, I don't see how they can justify it being fair for the regular season, which determines who makes the playoffs. It just makes no sense to me what so ever.
    Regular season you might have 1 or 2 tough games that go into OT.  The playoffs are supposed to be the best teams so they need a better chance to win and advance.

Let's face it, no one really gives a shit if the Jets lose in OT to the Dolphins in the regular season but you would care if the Jets squeaked in the playoffs and beat the Bills because of a coin toss.
    I am not sure I totally understand your point but are you saying the regular season, which is only 17 games, doesn't mean much? A team between two bad teams would have implications on where they draft the following Spring, it also has implications on other teams in their conference jockeying for a playoff spot. A game between two good teams would obviously determine their own playoff positioning/division championship. 

I think having a coin toss play a huge roll in determining any of that, in any game of consequence, is archaic and stupid.
    Well if you are worried about the draft then you won't care much about losing in OT.
    If you’re not trying to win then you really don’t give a shit about scoring in OT then.
    Who says they are not trying to win? And what about the teams in the mix for a division title or 1 seed? I still don't understand your point. 
    If it's 1 or 2 games during the regular season and the toss is 52% then it's not that big a difference to warrant a change.

I think that's a bullshit excuse man. Whether its 52% or 62%, they all matter. I bet it would matter to you if your team missed out on a playoff birth while not getting an offensive possession in OT because of some dumb coin flip. lol

And all we are talking about is one stinking possession. It's not like we're asking for much here. Common sense needs to come into play instead of waiting for more examples of the current system to not work to warrant a change. I'd rather them be proactive.
    Hey, I did ask what the last 2 years numbers are.  I can't find them as I think they would be closer to Playoff numbers.

No, I don't want my team limping into the damn playoffs only to get their ass handed to them.  I never understood that mentality "we made the playoffs".  That's great but you didn't make it past the 1st round and had zero business being there...

That's just me though.
    Dude.....you are not thinking this through. What if your team lost the last game of the season in OT while not getting an offensive possession and that knocked you out of the 1 seed and home field advantage?  lol I am sure you would be pissed. 

It seems like you are content to just waiting for a high profile disaster like what happened in the playoffs last year to make the change. Better to make it now, as it is a simple one, to prevent that shit from happening.

Every game matters. 
    So, I don't expect my team to get homefield shit for the playoffs, Broncos.  I also don't really have a problem w how it is played.

What I did see last year in the playoffs was prevent fucking defense that let the teams march down the damn field...  Leave it alone and play defense the way you did for the last 60 minutes.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

That's just me though.

Every game matters. 
    So, I don't expect my team to get homefield shit for the playoffs, Broncos.  I also don't really have a problem w how it is played.

What I did see last year in the playoffs was prevent fucking defense that let the teams march down the damn field...  Leave it alone and play defense the way you did for the last 60 minutes.
    I don't think I am getting through to you here. You sound like you would be fine if they just went back to the old coin toss and sudden death. Play better defense then!

Letting the luck of a coin toss have such an important role in determining the winner of any game is just stupid. Always has been. It's even more so now that they recognize it's wrong but are only fixing it in the playoffs because of a high profile embarrassment. You watch--if and when this happens at the end of the season and it determines playoff seeding, they'll come around and change it for the regular season too. It would be better for everyone if they were more proactive in correcting this issue rather than waiting for another embarrassment to occur.  
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

That's just me though.

Every game matters. 

I don't think I am getting through to you here. You sound like you would be fine if they just went back to the old coin toss and sudden death. Play better defense then!

Letting the luck of a coin toss have such an important role in determining the winner of any game is just stupid. Always has been. It's even more so now that they recognize it's wrong but are only fixing it in the playoffs because of a high profile embarrassment. You watch--if and when this happens at the end of the season and it determines playoff seeding, they'll come around and change it for the regular season too. It would be better for everyone if they were more proactive in correcting this issue rather than waiting for another embarrassment to occur.  
    I get it, I just don't put that much weight on the regular season.

NFL didn't really shoot themselves in the foot these playoffs IMO.  It was fantastic football, we are still talking about it.

Also I don't worry about the rules too much because the NFL will change them again soon enough so why piss and moan about it?  The average rule lasts like 5 years now?

I do want taunting thrown out.  I want the LB to scream over the person he just punished.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You don't put much weight into a 17 game season? That's part of what makes the NFL so unique to other sports. 

Yeah we are talking about it because everyone agrees the old rule was stupid. 

Your third point seems to convey that you'd be fine with them changing it down the road....if that is true, why the hell are you putting forth this argument?! They should change it now before another embarrassing moment happens. lol

Yeah, taunting is dumb. Agreed.

I think it's time to move on. The Eagles are bringing back kelly green in 2023!

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    RIP Dwayne Hoskins
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    RIP Dwayne Hoskins
    Awful.  Young guy and a horrible way to go.  Hate reading stories like that.  
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,242
    Baker Mayfield is such a whiny lil bitch.....crying all the time. You were the #1 pick Mr. Johnny Manziel 2.0, Only Cleveland  would draft someone like him after Johnny " Everything But" Football

The Team doesnt owe you shit, crying about he's unhappy.....Im sure this will land you a starting job with a respectable Franchise

No Leadership, just wah wah wah....me me me

Saying also how hed like to Boo people in their cubicles and watch them fall apart cause IT WAS SO HARD ON HIM, Getting Booed 

What a Little Human being, no spine....you were getting paid around $20M per year plus your commercial $$..... Another Fake it til you make it FRAUD
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    most of us wish Brady would just go away when he retires.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Wobbie said:
    Yes
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,678
    Wobbie said:
    Don’t you love it?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    Wobbie said:
    I think he will be terrible to.  No personality and smug. I don’t see him being a good analyst.  

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    I think he will be terrible to.  No personality and smug. I don’t see him being a good analyst.  

New England Tom is boring and zero personality.  Tampa Tom is way more vibrant and likeable.

He isn't Peyton Manning but he should be good.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I just don't see how any analyst or personality can come close to recouping $375 Million for a broadcast
  • Options
    They are paying shit head you tubers & “influencers” a ton, why not the best qb ever
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    I don't think he's going to be a good color man. And frankly, I think it's a little beneath him to be one. Also, it always seems like the all-time BEST players just don't make for good color men. Joe Montana and Magic Johnson are good examples. Just as Brady was similar to Montana on the field, I think he might be similar in the booth too. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    I don't think he's going to be a good color man. And frankly, I think it's a little beneath him to be one. Also, it always seems like the all-time BEST players just don't make for good color men. Joe Montana and Magic Johnson are good examples. Just as Brady was similar to Montana on the field, I think he might be similar in the booth too. 
    Gretzky is not the Great One in the booth or studio either.  
  • Options
    $375m, I think he can live without an Emmy 🤣

I agree, he will be ok at best
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    CROJAM95 said:

Forget awards, I don't think he lasts even five years doing this. Possibly out of not being very good at it, but also possibly out of disinterest. 

He's been weird lately. There was that fake month-long retirement. Then there were reports that he was going to Miami to play before transitioning to an ownership role. Then he comes back to Tampa. Arians resigns as coach (OBVIOUSLY per Brady's request/demand). And now he's signing a broadcasting contract set to commence when he retires. Not that I blame him. If idiots wanted to give me $375 million dollars, I'd take it too. Part of me thinks Fox was trying to make a "splash" with this announcement. Or, they're trying to make him their new John Madden. Probably both. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    CROJAM95 said:

Forget awards, I don't think he lasts even five years doing this. Possibly out of not being very good at it, but also possibly out of disinterest. 

He's been weird lately. There was that fake month-long retirement. Then there were reports that he was going to Miami to play before transitioning to an ownership role. Then he comes back to Tampa. Arians resigns as coach (OBVIOUSLY per Brady's request/demand). And now he's signing a broadcasting contract set to commence when he retires. Not that I blame him. If idiots wanted to give me $375 million dollars, I'd take it too. Part of me thinks Fox was trying to make a "splash" with this announcement. Or, they're trying to make him their new John Madden. Probably both. 

developing the teledeflator as we speak.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I wonder if the Miami & Sean Payton rumor was true, I bet it was. Especially for a Pc of ownership
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    I wonder if the Miami & Sean Payton rumor was true, I bet it was. Especially for a Pc of ownership
    I think it was too. The Dolphins are my favorite team so it would've been cool.....but the Dolphins are a fucking joke so of course they fucked it up. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    This was my first thought too. I can see him being decent at it but no matter how good he is....yeah, an analyst job is well below being the greatest qb of all time. 

In general, I think there is a big void of talent right now in these announcer positions (color and play by play). We were spoiled growing up so many great voices calling games. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I think Brady could be a great analyst.  He does have the ability to be endearing, and you would expect him to let his guard down once he isnt an active player anymore.  Im sure he can shed light into the analysis of games that few people can replicate...

As mentioned though, I would be surprised if he lasts 10 years as an analyst.  You would think he would have higher aspirations than that.  He could be another Elway-type admin in the league with some ownership stake for sure.  
  • Options
    Can you imagine if Michael Jordan became NBC's color analyst with Marv Albert after he retired? lol 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Can you imagine if Michael Jordan became NBC's color analyst with Marv Albert after he retired? lol 
    Back biting marv, or just good ole Toupee Marv prior 🤣

that was crazy, hearing Marv’s dirty bedroom antics crazier than Johnny& Amber
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

Either of those Marvs are better than anything going today! Give me Marv Albert and the Czar of the Telestrator over Mike Breen and Mark Jackson
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    CROJAM95 said:

Either of those Marvs are better than anything going today! Give me Marv Albert and the Czar of the Telestrator over Mike Breen and Mark Jackson
    HAND DOWN,  MAN DOWN!

Fratello was great.