Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    I love the move by the Chiefs.  Take one step back to take two steps forward.  They would have been in salary cap hell in 2023 had they caved on what Tyreek wanted.  This gives them a chance to build a more sustainable roster on both sides of the ball.  They will never replace Hill and what he can do, but I am anxious to see how they evolve into the next window of opportunity.  There were too many question marks at defensive end/tackle, cornerback, offensive tackle (I guarantee Orlando Brown holds out unless he is extended) and wide receiver even with Hill on the roster for 2022.  Shrewd and forward thinking move by the Chiefs.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    I love the move by the Chiefs.  Take one step back to take two steps forward.  They would have been in salary cap hell in 2023 had they caved on what Tyreek wanted.  This gives them a chance to build a more sustainable roster on both sides of the ball.  They will never replace Hill and what he can do, but I am anxious to see how they evolve into the next window of opportunity.  There were too many question marks at defensive end/tackle, cornerback, offensive tackle (I guarantee Orlando Brown holds out unless he is extended) and wide receiver even with Hill on the roster for 2022.  Shrewd and forward thinking move by the Chiefs.
    If they draft right they'll be good but they keep losing pieces in an already stacked conference.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    If they draft right they'll be good but they keep losing pieces in an already stacked conference.

Best to replace those pieces with younger, cheaper and controllable talent.  NFL rosters can age quickly if you don't take initiative.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315

Best to replace those pieces with younger, cheaper and controllable talent.  NFL rosters can age quickly if you don't take initiative.
    Agreed. I think that was a hell of a trade for KC. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677

Everyone is replaceable in the NFL other than the QB. That's the reality and that's why this was a good trade. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
  • Options
    Why on earth would this only be for the playoffs?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022

rich assholes deemed it so?
    playoffs seen as more important. handful of regular season  games showed 50% of coin toss/first possession  teams won. 

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I think the league is very focused on keeping the games to 3 hours.  While college is insane,  I wouldn't mind this being regular and playoffs. Plus,  they slowly step into everything,  that's for sure 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the league is very focused on keeping the games to 3 hours.  While college is insane,  I wouldn't mind this being regular and playoffs. Plus,  they slowly step into everything,  that's for sure 
    It's one more possesion...in overtime. If the current way is deemed unfair for the playoffs, I don't see how they can justify it being fair for the regular season, which determines who makes the playoffs. It just makes no sense to me what so ever.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's one more possesion...in overtime. If the current way is deemed unfair for the playoffs, I don't see how they can justify it being fair for the regular season, which determines who makes the playoffs. It just makes no sense to me what so ever.
    Yeah I'm with you.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Regular season you might have 1 or 2 tough games that go into OT.  The playoffs are supposed to be the best teams so they need a better chance to win and advance.

Let's face it, no one really gives a shit if the Jets lose in OT to the Dolphins in the regular season but you would care if the Jets squeaked in the playoffs and beat the Bills because of a coin toss.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Regular season you might have 1 or 2 tough games that go into OT.  The playoffs are supposed to be the best teams so they need a better chance to win and advance.

Let's face it, no one really gives a shit if the Jets lose in OT to the Dolphins in the regular season but you would care if the Jets squeaked in the playoffs and beat the Bills because of a coin toss.
    I am not sure I totally understand your point but are you saying the regular season, which is only 17 games, doesn't mean much? A team between two bad teams would have implications on where they draft the following Spring, it also has implications on other teams in their conference jockeying for a playoff spot. A game between two good teams would obviously determine their own playoff positioning/division championship. 

I think having a coin toss play a huge roll in determining any of that, in any game of consequence, is archaic and stupid.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I am not sure I totally understand your point but are you saying the regular season, which is only 17 games, doesn't mean much? A team between two bad teams would have implications on where they draft the following Spring, it also has implications on other teams in their conference jockeying for a playoff spot. A game between two good teams would obviously determine their own playoff positioning/division championship. 

I think having a coin toss play a huge roll in determining any of that, in any game of consequence, is archaic and stupid.
    Well if you are worried about the draft then you won't care much about losing in OT.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    I wonder what the numbers are for the past 2 years and if those are lopsided or not?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Well if you are worried about the draft then you won't care much about losing in OT.
    The point is every game matters for something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If you’re not trying to win then you really don’t give a shit about scoring in OT then.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If you’re not trying to win then you really don’t give a shit about scoring in OT then.
    Who says they are not trying to win? And what about the teams in the mix for a division title or 1 seed? I still don't understand your point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think Todd Bowles is a good coach. Happy to see him get another chance.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    Looks like Brady got his way in the end.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    saw an article about kraft complaining about not being a playoff team for 3 yrs. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Who says they are not trying to win? And what about the teams in the mix for a division title or 1 seed? I still don't understand your point. 
    If it's 1 or 2 games during the regular season and the toss is 52% then it's not that big a difference to warrant a change.

Every game does not matter.  Winless vs winless isn't getting my viewing eyes.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    mickeyrat said:
    Poncier said:
    saw an article about kraft complaining about not being a playoff team for 3 yrs. 

Krafty Bob should have focused on giving Brady the extension he wanted 4 years ago (same deal N'awlins gave Drew Brees, 2 yrs guaranteed at $25 Mil per, still below market for Brady) rather than happy endings and he wouldn't have had that issue.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Poncier said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Poncier said:

Krafty Bob should have focused on giving Brady the extension he wanted 4 years ago (same deal N'awlins gave Drew Brees, 2 yrs guaranteed at $25 Mil per, still below market for Brady) rather than happy endings and he wouldn't have had that issue.
    I think it was more than the $ and commitment though.  Overall, I think Brady had a problem with Belichick's aversion to 'shiny toys' and his inability to draft any.  If brady is the Patriots' QB the past 2 years, Im not convinced they have a playoff win in that alternate universe.  It is hard to bet against Brady though so who knows
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,650
    mickeyrat said:
    Poncier said:

A complainer is Irsay. Maybe you meant lamenting?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    mrussel1 said:

If it's 1 or 2 games during the regular season and the toss is 52% then it's not that big a difference to warrant a change.

I think that's a bullshit excuse man. Whether its 52% or 62%, they all matter. I bet it would matter to you if your team missed out on a playoff birth while not getting an offensive possession in OT because of some dumb coin flip. lol

And all we are talking about is one stinking possession. It's not like we're asking for much here. Common sense needs to come into play instead of waiting for more examples of the current system to not work to warrant a change. I'd rather them be proactive.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I think that's a bullshit excuse man. Whether its 52% or 62%, they all matter. I bet it would matter to you if your team missed out on a playoff birth while not getting an offensive possession in OT because of some dumb coin flip. lol

And all we are talking about is one stinking possession. It's not like we're asking for much here. Common sense needs to come into play instead of waiting for more examples of the current system to not work to warrant a change. I'd rather them be proactive.
    Hey, I did ask what the last 2 years numbers are.  I can't find them as I think they would be closer to Playoff numbers.

No, I don't want my team limping into the damn playoffs only to get their ass handed to them.  I never understood that mentality "we made the playoffs".  That's great but you didn't make it past the 1st round and had zero business being there...

That's just me though.