The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Holy FSM! 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I made some preserved lemons yesterday. I use it for Moroccan tagine.
    Now I need to wait 1 month before it is ready.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    kebobs

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Looks great!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

That's some real dedication to tagine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:

That's some real dedication to tagine.
    In love with Moroccan since I discovered it not long ago.
    Preserved lemons are so expensive and hard to find in stores here.
    Paid $16 for a very small jar. Cheaper to make your own.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Wobbie said:
    kebobs

Thanks for the inspiration. Its supposed to be above 30 degrees this weekend here in the Twin Cities. Might have to pull the ol’ grill out and throw on some kabobs
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    kebobs

Thanks for the inspiration. Its supposed to be above 30 degrees this weekend here in the Twin Cities. Might have to pull the ol’ grill out and throw on some kabobs

it was like 14 degrees when I grilled those. F degrees, not the fraudulent C degrees.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited January 2019
    Chicken breasts in the Sous vide. Looking forward to these 

Edit...verdict: eh. Chicken breasts suck 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Sous vide round 2. Pork tenderloin. This will
    be better
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited January 2019

Grilled kabob night. Soaked the chicken overnight in a sweet jalapeño marinated. Also speared some kielbasa’s with pineapple to mix it up. Turned out nicely. Only problem was cooking on the grill as the outdoor garage light was out and had to rely on a flashlight to see what the hell I was doing.
    That looks for real right there.

They totally do unless they are cooked still attached to the rest of the chicken, lol. A chicken breast off of a perfectly prepared and cooked whole chicken though? Fucking delicious.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Some guests for dinner tonight

Fire water is too fucking hot.  Unbelievably hot!
    Cauliflower and Carne Asada/Bean tacos
    Simple yet delicious.
    One of the few meals the kids love that I also enjoy.

edited January 2019
    I just ordered my favorite hot sauce in the whole wide world. It's become harder to find in recent years. It used to be at the local Great Canadian Superstore, but no longer - not in BC anyway. That pisses me off. But at least there is a specialty store in Vancouver that still sells it. Also available online in the USA.
    Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce. I'm really excited to get it, because I ran out of it months ago and have been missing it. Anytime I cook chicken I feel like something is missing without this stuff. :) Recommended to anyone who enjoys hot sauce! Matouk's has a range of very good hot sauces, but this is my fave.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    PJ_Soul said:

They totally do unless they are cooked still attached to the rest of the chicken, lol. A chicken breast off of a perfectly prepared and cooked whole chicken though? Fucking delicious.
    Correct. Other than that the only piece of detached chicken worth a shit is the thigh.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:

Correct. Other than that the only piece of detached chicken worth a shit is the thigh.
    Wing
    I think chicken pieces can all be delicious if treated properly.
    No argument that the best way is cooking the entire bird.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

Sure - but the only part of the bird that has any flavor on its own is that sweet, sweet dark meat.

Sure - but the only part of the bird that has any flavor on its own is that sweet, sweet dark meat.
    There is a flavor for white meat but it surely does not compare well with dark meat.  No argument there!
    Think of all of the glorious things that can be done with chicken breast, though.  Lots of great options for pairing/treatments.

I could eat chicken most days of the week and be happy. 
    Chicken breaks suck.  A breast is just too big and thick to cook as is to get anything really flavorful.  So difficult to cook and keep tasty, juicy, etc. 

Making breasts into cutlets, sure.

Spiedies...hell yeah. (Kabobs in general)

The options are limited to me though.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Some guests for dinner tonight

Had the first two, haven't had the Fire Water yet.  I have so many bottles of sauce right now I could probably open at least an Etsy shop.  A buddy of mine got this for Xmas:
    I tried my best to turn down the offer of tasting it, because I cannot stand the taste of truffles.  But he kept insisting; "you can barely taste the truffle" he said.  I dipped a cocktail straw in it and tasted truffle for the rest of the night. Even after 4 beers and a pizza, the truffle taste still lingered - on my tongue, in my burps.  :sick: The base sauce however had a really good flavor and the heat wasn't overpowering at all, but the truffle taste was extremely dominant (to me anyway).  There's also a white infused version, but it was limited and sold out.  If you like truffles, give it a shot, but I think they're disgusting.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just ordered my favorite hot sauce in the whole wide world. It's become harder to find in recent years. It used to be at the local Great Canadian Superstore, but no longer - not in BC anyway. That pisses me off. But at least there is a specialty store in Vancouver that still sells it. Also available online in the USA.
    Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce. I'm really excited to get it, because I ran out of it months ago and have been missing it. Anytime I cook chicken I feel like something is missing without this stuff. :) Recommended to anyone who enjoys hot sauce! Matouk's has a range of very good hot sauces, but this is my fave.

Might have to get a bottle on my next Amazon order.  I've seen the name before but haven't seen it in stores around here.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Championship Sunday Grammy’s Gravy

chinese-happy.jpg
    And those are the wife’s meatballs, not mine. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I had the best bolognese sauce ever last week at this place in AC called Chef Vola’s. Been wanting to make this ever since that meal. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That looks Super worthy as well

And those are the wife’s meatballs, not mine. 
    That looks banging but the one thing I was going to question was the meatballs lol.

My dads sauce is a bologense. The wife’s family is more straight red sauce with meatballs, sausage, braciole, and pork/beef bones

Lamb loin with polenta and roasted carrots.

Mint gremolta and a horseradish sauce to go with it 
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Chicken breaks suck.  A breast is just too big and thick to cook as is to get anything really flavorful.  So difficult to cook and keep tasty, juicy, etc. 

Making breasts into cutlets, sure.

Spiedies...hell yeah. (Kabobs in general)

The options are limited to me though.
    I made Chicken India style today. 
    So I did cut the chicken breast into strips, seasoned it with salt and garam masala and put it in coconut milk. Then I fried some zucchini slices and afterwards the chicken strips. Put the coconut milk into the pan and let it lightly cook for a few minutes. Then put the zucchini slices into the pan too. 
    Finished.

So good and soooo easy.