Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Homemade baked beans is definitely on the list now, those look great! 
    I will have to pair them with some local sausage.

And hell to the no on the canned pumpkin pie!! I'm not a big food snob, but I won't do that.  
    I grow enough butternut squash to keep us in pies all winter.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    I did them once years ago. I thought they were great.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,495
    Had many fried bologna sammys  when I was younger. Up here in Canada we call it Newfie Steak! 
    My dad was a Newf and they were they poor when he was young. Bolgna was a staple for them and the other delicasie that they had that didn't catch in our household growing up was....SPAM!
    Spam sandwiches are nasty!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Sugardale bacon is the best though!

My favorite hotdog dressing is ketchup and onions.  So good.  

This thread actually started with the ketchup on hotdogs debate, if I remember correctly.  In the pizza thread, I was (correctly) holding firm to the position that any rule about what condiments are acceptable on a damn tube steak are asinine.
    It's ground up tendons and scrapings, for goodness's sake.
    I can't take anyone seriously that puts ketchup on a hot dog...
    A list of ketchup-as-a-condiment approved foods, please. 

And...what would you put on a fried bologna sandwich? (Had them a lot when I was a kid.)
    I have never had a fried bologna sammich.  I stopped eating bologny when I was 10.

You can put ketchup on your potatoes but not a pieroge.
    Ketchup is acceptable on a burger but not a steak.
    Runny eggs and ketchup is ok but not hard or soft boiled.

Ketchup should not be placed on toast either.
     =) 
    Grew up poor. Bologna or Steakum (what ever the hell that is) was served. 2 slices unless fried, then 1. 

Potatoes, yes.

Pierogies? I would kicked put of the Polish kid club for that. Sour cream and/or butter only. 

Runny eggs? Yes, please. Ketchup on eggs? Ewwwwww! Tried it. Just so gross. (To me. Y'all enjoy!)

Who puts ketchup on toast? Butter, PB, jellies, jams and butters, but no ketchup. 
    rgambs said:
    People don't come to Ohio to try anything lol
    Swenson's. They come for Swenson's.  No lie. The best burger! Double cheeseburger ketchup only. 
    Sour cream for sure on a pierogie - also with some carmelized onions. Yummy. I know some people put applesauce on them as well - that is not for me.

Applesauce on a fried pierogie is delicious.
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Had many fried bologna sammys  when I was younger. Up here in Canada we call it Newfie Steak! 
    My dad was a Newf and they were they poor when he was young. Bolgna was a staple for them and the other delicasie that they had that didn't catch in our household growing up was....SPAM!
    Them Hawaiian Islanders love that stuff.

Question.

Anyone ever make their own mayo?  I've been wanting to try making my own because I read that fresh made mayo is amazing.
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

Question.

Anyone ever make their own mayo?  I've been wanting to try making my own because I read that fresh made mayo is amazing.
    Have not tried mayo, sounds like a fun experiment!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    BLACK35 said:

Question.

Just looked up a recipe it doesn't seem hard but I don't have a food processor.  We have a blender...

Amazon I go!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    BLACK35 said:

Question.

Just looked up a recipe it doesn't seem hard but I don't have a food processor.  We have a blender...

Amazon I go!
    Blender would probably work, especially if you did in two half-batches.
    Food processor is nice to have though.
    I use mine for shredding cabbage for cole slaw, shredding Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar when I need a bunch, grinding browned ground beef for tacos and sloppy joes, and for blending up butternut squash carbonara pasta sauce.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Donated my food processor to the rummage sale. I just didn't use it. I have the lil chopper though. 

I don't eat mayo. I've tried several times- even lately. I just can't so it. I'm a Miracle Whip girl. I know it's shit. I know I shouldn't, but...gotta have that zip. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I use my food processor a ton.  Yesterday for the hummus in the pic I posted.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,495
    BLACK35 said:

Question.

Never made my own mayo
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,000
    My Ninja blender came with a separate food processor blade and canister. So it was a good 2 in 1 for me since I have very little counter space. I have used it to chop onions and other things for recipes that require a really fine dice. Also used it to make carrot-ginger miso salad dressing. That came out amazing. I have been meaning to make hummus and pesto but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    My Ninja blender came with a separate food processor blade and canister. So it was a good 2 in 1 for me since I have very little counter space. I have used it to chop onions and other things for recipes that require a really fine dice. Also used it to make carrot-ginger miso salad dressing. That came out amazing. I have been meaning to make hummus and pesto but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 
    I had bought a mini bullet when I was working on the road and used it to make fresh pesto.  It was good for road living but not so great for everyday use.

Highly recommend making your own of these:

Salsa
    Pesto
    Tomato sauce
    Tabouli
    Hot sauce/pepper sauce

I will try to make my own hummus.  That sounds wonderful Cliffy
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Hummus is soooo easy, at least with canned chickpeas and comes out great.  And you can get creative and try different things. Garlic, siracha, lemon...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    rgambs said:
    People don't come to Ohio to try anything lol

I'm just catching up on this thread and this had me cracking up rather audibly. Aka lol.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    For me, ketchup is for bad French fries or burgers 
    Nailed it. These are the two acceptable applications of ketchup after the age of 5.
  • Options
    I couldn't resist a pork butt at the grocery store.  $1.99/lb is a great price for a meat that will be a delicacy...after a work shift in the smoker lol
    6.5-7lbs of pulled pork for two people though 😳
    Wish I could have friends or family over to help scarf it down.
  • Options
    Sticky ribs with an Asian slaw 

• Options
    Hell yeah! Looks fantastic.  That slaw looks damn good.
    I'm gonna go rub my butt right now!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Hell yeah! Looks fantastic.  That slaw looks damn good.
    I'm gonna go rub my butt right now!
    :giggle:
  • Options

Sometimes, all you need is a burger and fries. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amy, you beat me to it!

Both of those look and sound fantastic. 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

I would take Cliffy's sticky ribs and 'slaw, Gambs' butt rub and your burger and fries any day.  Thinking the burger needs cheese though.  I don't believe I have shared my love of cheese.  :lol: 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

I would take Cliffy's sticky ribs and 'slaw, Gambs' butt rub and your burger and fries any day.  Thinking the burger needs cheese though.  I don't believe I have shared my love of cheese.  :lol: 
    Yeah. I normally would put cheese on my burger but I made a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and didn’t want to overdue it with the cheese today. I did put on lettuce, tomato, and avocado. So that was delish. 
  • Options
    Sticky ribs with an Asian slaw 

I have got to get ribs this weekend. There is a bbq place in my neighborhood that will deliver. They have good slaw as well. This photo is making me hungry even though I literally just finished dinner. 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

Yeah. I normally would put cheese on my burger but I made a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and didn’t want to overdue it with the cheese today. I did put on lettuce, tomato, and avocado. So that was delish. 
    :pushes the tomato in your direction:

I'll trade for cheese.  :smiley: 
  • Options
    That burger looks good! Saw a lamb burger online recently and have been wanting one
  • Options
    No such thing as overdoing it with cheese!!
  • Options
    No such thing as overdoing it with cheese!!
    Agreed. 
  • Options
    I got up at 3 to put that Boston Butt Pork Shoulder in the smoker.
    I was reading through some hardcore barbeque forums and thinking about it a fair bit yesterday, and I find it interesting that it's an entire field of gourmet cooking that is dominated by good old boys and gals.  
    It's sort of the polar opposite of culinary arts in the haute tradition, and it's very rural and experimental.  It's interesting, I love the blend of art and science that makes cooking good food so special.  A classically trained French pastry chef combines ingredients down to the gram, a sushi maestro massages octopus and practices perfect cuts, an Italian Grandma moves by taste and instinct, a pitmaster from years of experience experimenting with temperature, time, and method...none can do what the others have mastered. We live in a time when we can experience them all.

I made my own rub, based off a basic Memphis rub recipe, and I'm going to make a classic Carolina thin vinegar sauce for finishing.  For slaw, I'm going with the KFC clone recipe because I just love it.  Might make some Mac n cheese for the wife and child, but that's just empty calories taking up room in my mouth that would be better filled with pork.