Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Sugardale bacon is the best though!

My favorite hotdog dressing is ketchup and onions.  So good.  

This thread actually started with the ketchup on hotdogs debate, if I remember correctly.  In the pizza thread, I was (correctly) holding firm to the position that any rule about what condiments are acceptable on a damn tube steak are asinine.
    It's ground up tendons and scrapings, for goodness's sake.
    I can't take anyone seriously that puts ketchup on a hot dog...
    I can't take anyone seriously who thinks there's anything wrong with putting ketchup on scrap meat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Must be from one of the cities that thinks the world revolves around it.
    You are from New York, Chicago, or Philadelphia, aren't you? LOL
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rgambs said:

This thread actually started with the ketchup on hotdogs debate, if I remember correctly.  In the pizza thread, I was (correctly) holding firm to the position that any rule about what condiments are acceptable on a damn tube steak are asinine.
    A list of ketchup-as-a-condiment approved foods, please. 

And...what would you put on a fried bologna sandwich? (Had them a lot when I was a kid.)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks there's anything wrong with putting ketchup on scrap meat.
    Sorry, but I just can't take you seriously anymore until you change your heathen ways...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Must be from one of the cities that thinks the world revolves around it.
    You are from New York, Chicago, or Philadelphia, aren't you? LOL
    Of course.  We are stuck up about our pizza and hot dogs which we have two of the best in the world here.

People aren't going to Ohio to try the pizza and hotdogs...

I'm completely having fun with this too but yeah, our pizza and dogs are the best.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

And...what would you put on a fried bologna sandwich? (Had them a lot when I was a kid.)
    I have never had a fried bologna sammich.  I stopped eating bologny when I was 10.

You can put ketchup on your potatoes but not a pieroge.
    Ketchup is acceptable on a burger but not a steak.
    Runny eggs and ketchup is ok but not hard or soft boiled.

Ketchup should not be placed on toast either.
     =) 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,000
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

I am a ketchup person for sure. Funny story - many years ago I started dating this guy, and we went to brunch on one of our first few dates. I love ketchup on eggs. I didn't know at the time that he hated ketchup to the point of the smell of it making him gag. So, we were sitting there eating and I slathered ketchup on my eggs. He kept excusing himself to go outside and smoke a cigarette, take an important phone call, etc. I was starting to get annoyed. It wasn't until later that he told me how grossed out he was watching me eat ketchup on my eggs. Since our relationship was new, he didn't want to say anything. We ended up living together for four years, and up until the end of our relationship he was still disgusted by my use of ketchup.

• Options
    🤣🤣🤣🤣 I knew it!
    Actually, I would have guessed it from a general knowledge of who's from where gained over the years.
    Best pizza.
    Because of the water 😂😂😂 😂

The best hotdogs are in Europe, and they often put ketchup and mustard, or curry on them.  There's nothing special about New York hot dogs, it's the same scrap meat tube steak you get anywhere else, except you can't put what you want on it unless you only like mustard lol
    There are hundreds of local hotdog varieties in the world, but only NY and Chicago seem to think theirs are the only acceptable kind.

The best hotdogs I have ever had were Sonoran hotdogs in Tucson, which are fucking amazing, and a handmade wurst in Tirol with the most perfect golden fried potatoes that I didn't even know could exist.  It was served without condiment.
  • Options
    People don't come to Ohio to try anything lol

• Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

I have never had a fried bologna sammich.  I stopped eating bologny when I was 10.

=) 
    Oh man, when the ketchup and the runny yolk mingle, that is a damn good combination.  I like ketchup on scrambled eggs too, but only in combination with hotsauce.  Little extra salt and pepper too, to balance the sweet.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    🤣🤣🤣🤣 I knew it!
    Actually, I would have guessed it from a general knowledge of who's from where gained over the years.
    Best pizza.
    Because of the water 😂😂😂 😂

The best hotdogs are in Europe, and they often put ketchup and mustard, or curry on them.  There's nothing special about New York hot dogs, it's the same scrap meat tube steak you get anywhere else, except you can't put what you want on it unless you only like mustard lol
    There are hundreds of local hotdog varieties in the world, but only NY and Chicago seem to think theirs are the only acceptable kind.

The best hotdogs I have ever had were Sonoran hotdogs in Tucson, which are fucking amazing, and a handmade wurst in Tirol with the most perfect golden fried potatoes that I didn't even know could exist.  It was served without condiment.
    It's not the water, that has been proven, lol!  I can't understand why a place in New Orleans has a hard time making a good pie...

As far as hotdogs go we have Boars Head AND Nathans.  Most places have only one to brag about where as we have 2, so there.

I will admit to eating good pizza in California in Santa Monica and a place called Chi-chis in Saugus.  I also have eaten Deep dish in Chi-town and enjoyed the cheese and sauce but not the crust...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

=) 
    Oh man, when the ketchup and the runny yolk mingle, that is a damn good combination.  I like ketchup on scrambled eggs too, but only in combination with hotsauce.  Little extra salt and pepper too, to balance the sweet.
    I tried the hot sauce on the eggs and didn't care for it.  Maybe I'll try it with the ketchup next time and see if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

=) 
    Grew up poor. Bologna or Steakum (what ever the hell that is) was served. 2 slices unless fried, then 1. 

Potatoes, yes.

Pierogies? I would kicked put of the Polish kid club for that. Sour cream and/or butter only. 

Runny eggs? Yes, please. Ketchup on eggs? Ewwwwww! Tried it. Just so gross. (To me. Y'all enjoy!)

Who puts ketchup on toast? Butter, PB, jellies, jams and butters, but no ketchup. 
    rgambs said:
    Swenson's. They come for Swenson's.  No lie. The best burger! Double cheeseburger ketchup only. 
  • Options
    Sour cream and hot Hungarian paprika on pierogis!

I had a family friend who used to make pierogis lasagna.  Cheesy mashed potatoes layered between lasagna noodles.  Damn that was good.  Miss that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Sour cream and hot Hungarian paprika on pierogis!

I had a family friend who used to make pierogis lasagna.  Cheesy mashed potatoes layered between lasagna noodles.  Damn that was good.  Miss that.
    My mother-in-law makes that. It is tasty. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

=) 
    Grew up poor. Bologna or Steakum (what ever the hell that is) was served. 2 slices unless fried, then 1. 

Potatoes, yes.

Pierogies? I would kicked put of the Polish kid club for that. Sour cream and/or butter only. 

Runny eggs? Yes, please. Ketchup on eggs? Ewwwwww! Tried it. Just so gross. (To me. Y'all enjoy!)

Who puts ketchup on toast? Butter, PB, jellies, jams and butters, but no ketchup. 
    rgambs said:
    Swenson's. They come for Swenson's.  No lie. The best burger! Double cheeseburger ketchup only. 
    Sour cream for sure on a pierogie - also with some carmelized onions. Yummy. I know some people put applesauce on them as well - that is not for me.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’d kill for a dog right now.

Fuckers!
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

=) 

Potatoes, yes.

rgambs said:
    Sour cream for sure on a pierogie - also with some carmelized onions. Yummy. I know some people put applesauce on them as well - that is not for me.

I've never tried the applesauce thing, but I have heard of it. 
    hedonist said:
    I’d kill for a dog right now.

Fuckers!
    You're welcome. :lol:
  • Options
    I live somewhat near Walnut Creek foods, which is Amish owned and operated in the biggest Amish community in the world.
    Walnut Creek is the biggest food manufacturer there...they are a more commercial/factory type producer than the artisanal image most people conjure when thinking of Amish country, but some of their food is really good.  Their cheese doesn't win world cheese competitions like Guggisberg a few miles up the road, but it's better than Kraft.
    Their blueberry jam is better than anything else available on a store shelf.

To the point, my favorite hotdogs that I can buy and cook myself are Walnut Creek Meat Franks.
    Meat Franks.   Doesn't sound very good lol
    But they are!

I'm actually not a fan of all-beef dogs.  Too greasy.
    I think most people hear "all-beef" and think quality, for some reason, but I'll bet in a blind taste test, most people would pick the mixed meat franks. 
  • Options
    Obviously New Yorkers don't count lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I live somewhat near Walnut Creek foods, which is Amish owned and operated in the biggest Amish community in the world.
    Walnut Creek is the biggest food manufacturer there...they are a more commercial/factory type producer than the artisanal image most people conjure when thinking of Amish country, but some of their food is really good.  Their cheese doesn't win world cheese competitions like Guggisberg a few miles up the road, but it's better than Kraft.
    Their blueberry jam is better than anything else available on a store shelf.

To the point, my favorite hotdogs that I can buy and cook myself are Walnut Creek Meat Franks.
    Meat Franks.   Doesn't sound very good lol
    But they are!

I'm actually not a fan of all-beef dogs.  Too greasy.
    I think most people hear "all-beef" and think quality, for some reason, but I'll bet in a blind taste test, most people would pick the mixed meat franks. 
    I live about an hour north of Walnut Creek Foods. Big fan! I buy a lot of spices down there. Love their pear jam! 

The neighbor was bored and made us a pizza. Delicious! There is enough for tomorrow night, too! I spent the day making homemade baked beans, but those will wait for Friday. Homemade pizza won. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    These are so good for a weeknight. Hummus with chicken and rice meatballs and a pickled cucumber and onion salad 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    For me, ketchup is for bad French fries or burgers 
  • Options
    These are so good for a weeknight. Hummus with chicken and rice meatballs and a pickled cucumber and onion salad 
    Yes, please. 
  • Options
    Looking good peeps!

Homemade baked beans is not something I've ever done, I kind of doubt I can do better than Bush's.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:
    Looking good peeps!

Homemade baked beans is not something I've ever done, I kind of doubt I can do better than Bush's.
    I have never made them before either. I soaked the beans overnight and cooked them all day. Can of tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic salt, chives, ginger, brown sugar, molasses, yellow mustard, and maple syrup. (Carrots and some Italian green beans were thrown in, too.)

Delicious, but much like the time I made a pumpkin pie from scratch-- there's a reason they sell that stuff in a can. :smile:
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,668
    Homemade baked beans are the best.  Those look great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Looking good peeps!

I have never made them before either. I soaked the beans overnight and cooked them all day. Can of tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic salt, chives, ginger, brown sugar, molasses, yellow mustard, and maple syrup. (Carrots and some Italian green beans were thrown in, too.)

Delicious, but much like the time I made a pumpkin pie from scratch-- there's a reason they sell that stuff in a can. :smile:
    Looks great. Baked beans are one of the items I was having trouble finding at the grocery store. I live alone and the only choices were the giant cans. I usually buy the smallest cans with the pop top lid. Maybe I will try to make some from scratch. You are inspiring me.

• Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Looking good peeps!

Looks great. Baked beans are one of the items I was having trouble finding at the grocery store. I live alone and the only choices were the giant cans. I usually buy the smallest cans with the pop top lid. Maybe I will try to make some from scratch. You are inspiring me.

:smile: 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Looking good peeps!

She has a way of doing that ;)