~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• I know the origination of the term 'scaredy cat' after observing my two scaredy cats.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Annie's very smart and a pretty darned well behave cat despite enjoying a good craze session now and then.   But there are a few things she does to test me.  Two of them involve getting behind things where there are wires to be messed with.  I finally figured out a humane way to deal with that without having to use a spray bottle-- don't need that on electrical wires!  I just barely spit at her.  Just the tiniest little ptttut.  Enough to let her know I mean business.  She gets the message and hops out of the way, no foul, no harm.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2018
    brianlux said:
    Annie's very smart and a pretty darned well behave cat despite enjoying a good craze session now and then.   But there are a few things she does to test me.  Two of them involve getting behind things where there are wires to be messed with.  I finally figured out a humane way to deal with that without having to use a spray bottle-- don't need that on electrical wires!  I just barely spit at her.  Just the tiniest little ptttut.  Enough to let her know I mean business.  She gets the message and hops out of the way, no foul, no harm.

Stupid cats.

Our cords have taken a beating. We got Mika to stop gnawing on them, but Kieli still thinks they're kinda cool.

You're a better man than me- I not only spray Kieli... I chase her down a bit more and give her a couple extra squeezes. She knows right away- she lets out this hilarious chirp and starts dashing away as soon as I make a move for the spray bottle. I get her good. I sit back down. In about a minute or two... she comes back in licking the water of herself and proceeds to torment us again lol.

I love her.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    I'm feeling a whole new level of appreciation for my cat. She never does anything like that. Doesn't chew on anything, doesn't fuck with anything she shouldn't, doesn't scratch the furniture, nothing. I've never used a spray bottle on her in her whole life because she's never done anything to warrant it, not even as a kitten. My biggest complaint about my cat is that she's overly affectionate. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • For sale. Contact me if interested. The colors are all different as these are hand made by my GF. 
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    My sister sent me these two links today... I never realized Freddy Mercury was such a huge cat fan!

https://youtu.be/Dltf3tk-o9o

Second link Delilah is song dedicated to his favorite cat Delilah. Why was this not one of their greatest hits??!  Ha ha!

https://youtu.be/yEYRoXWmWYU
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I recall reading that about him.  Many of my favorite artists were cat lovers - even Dali, who collaborated on the throwing of cats and water for Dali Atomicus.
    Wow... amazing still from that scene.

Many of mine are as well especially one of our favorites JFru..he sums it up perfectly ;)

https://youtu.be/gzWrFAgiQIk

George found his special warm spot :)

Go George!!!
  • hedonist said:

The one on the right is looking rather regal lol.

And looks like a splash of Maine Coon in her too! Yah?
    I'm not sure, Thirty - we rescued her (vice versa, really) from the shelter after she'd been found on the streets.  She's earned her dues to have that haughty puss!

• hedonist said:
    I'm not sure, Thirty - we rescued her (vice versa, really) from the shelter after she'd been found on the streets.  She's earned her dues to have that haughty puss!

Beautiful animals.
    brianlux said:

Stupid cats.

Our cords have taken a beating. We got Mika to stop gnawing on them, but Kieli still thinks they're kinda cool.

You're a better man than me- I not only spray Kieli... I chase her down a bit more and give her a couple extra squeezes. She knows right away- she lets out this hilarious chirp and starts dashing away as soon as I make a move for the spray bottle. I get her good. I sit back down. In about a minute or two... she comes back in licking the water of herself and proceeds to torment us again lol.

I love her.
    Also known as "tough love".  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hedonist said:

Nothing like snuggling up to a warm butt.  :smile:

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.
    she has diabetes :disappointed:

took Kali to the vet on Saturday for her glucose and her glucose count was low at 40 (not quite sure what the count means though, might be good?). Doctor wants me to go back this Saturday to double check. There's a possibility she might not have it anymore so that's good. She's maintained her weight now which has been ranging from 10 1/2-11 pounds which isn't too bad. We'll see. :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.

took Kali to the vet on Saturday for her glucose and her glucose count was low at 40 (not quite sure what the count means though, might be good?). Doctor wants me to go back this Saturday to double check. There's a possibility she might not have it anymore so that's good. She's maintained her weight now which has been ranging from 10 1/2-11 pounds which isn't too bad. We'll see. :smile:

Rock on!
  • Mika and Kieli curl up between my legs each night to sleep. Sometimes I feel the need to move, but I don’t want to disturb them so I lie there and make the best of my uncomfortable situation.

Last night the bed was shaking. I woke up and they were having a massive sibling scrap between my legs. I yelled, “Hey. That’s enough!”

They both leaped off the bed and took off out of the room. My daughter informed me they made it into her room and picked up where they left off.

But aside from their occasional spats... they love each other:

I'm loathe to go to bed until they've gotten their ya-ya's out.  Nothing like being on the edge of sleep than two cats scrapping it out on the covers over me.
  • hedonist said:
    I'm loathe to go to bed until they've gotten their ya-ya's out.  Nothing like being on the edge of sleep than two cats scrapping it out on the covers over me.

haha

Good to know we're not the only ones with the 'scrapping problem'!
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.

still has it. took her saturday and her glucose cunt was like 79 (which isn't too bad). I kinda had a feeling it wasn't going to be remissioned.  Oh well, least she's still somewhat healthy :wink:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Kitty just relaxing she’s an old lady but very happy & healthy 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Just came across this good article - could definitely help some kitty owners. :)

WHY YOUR CAT THINKS YOU'RE A HUGE, UNPREDICTABLE APE

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • My cats are like dogs.  They come and greet me at the door.  It's hysterical.  Daddy's home!!!

The male cat Zappa waits for me to put my keys down and expects me to go to the  bedroom and play with him.  Creature of habit, lol.

The female cat Zoe has her time to get attention from me too.  Whenever I put socks or shoes on that is her time to come over and get some scratching in.  She also comes by my side when I am on the couch and looks up at me until I acknowledge her.  When I look at her she whips into a scent rubbing frenzy and won't stop until I give her a good scratch.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    We had to say goodbye to our beloved Panda today. He was a gentle and sweet soul. 

Rest easy, buddy.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:
    We had to say goodbye to our beloved Panda today. He was a gentle and sweet soul. 

Rest easy, buddy.

Bummer.

Is this picture when Panda was a kitten?

This picture embodies much of what a cat's life is like: partially hidden (so it thinks lol), favourite toy being played with (around the box), and a well used and chewed box (when we get parcels... the cats think the package was for them- they are right there as it is being opened and then they fight for possession). 
    dudeman said:

Rest easy, buddy.

RIP. I'm so sorry. :(
    dudeman said:

Rest easy, buddy.

awww, sorry :sad:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited February 2019
    Mika and Kieli curl up between my legs each night to sleep. Sometimes I feel the need to move, but I don’t want to disturb them so I lie there and make the best of my uncomfortable situation.

Last night the bed was shaking. I woke up and they were having a massive sibling scrap between my legs. I yelled, “Hey. That’s enough!”

They both leaped off the bed and took off out of the room. My daughter informed me they made it into her room and picked up where they left off.

But aside from their occasional spats... they love each other:

Let me know if this fighting thing escalates. I've dealt with the situation - it got to the point where they couldn't be in the same room together - they just fucking went at each other every time they walked past one another, and it wasn't playing. I learned that that is a very fixable behavioural issue. I tried this method recommended to me by an actual cat therapist (literally like the dog whisperer but for cats), and it totally worked. I would say that you are one stressful event (for them) short of having a real problem on your hands.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I'm very sorry, dudeman.