~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Think Kali might be allergic to something.  Was scratching/petting her head and noticed these scabs around her neck.  Of course i was a little worried and googled what i felt.  They said she's probably allergic to food, or possibly flea bites, but she hasn't had a flea problem in years.  So my guess is probably her diabetic cat food.  I'll have to make an appointment to find out what exactly it is.
    Dang.
    took her to the doctors today for her glucose count and to get the scab checked out.  Looks like it just was her scratching it a lot, so that's good.  She just gave me some ointment to put on her twice a day.

This is good news.

I kinda got bummed out today. We were out of town and at lunch. Out the window, I noticed a cat walking along the sidewalk and stopping underneath parked vehicles. It didn't look mangy or abused. Each car it went under it sniffed for a bit... then walked to the next car and sniffed for a bit... every time it left a parked car you could see it meow. It was distressed. A homeless guy tried to coax it over to him, but the cat was having none of him.

When it reached the end of the line for parked vehicles, it proceeded to cross the side street. Then, it proceeded to cross the main drag. I held my breath. Cars hardly slowed down for it. The cat made it and ran underneath a shrub on the other side of the road.

It didn't stay long before it continued on its way. It was most likely lost. Or abandoned.

I felt horrible for it. It was distressed. I began to wonder about how things got shitty for the animal and I was feeling really badly that it was in the state it was. I still am.

To boot... about an hour ago... we were one of the first on the scene at a significant car accident. I'm certified in occupational first aid and assisted. No fatalities or major injuries, but an intense scene.

Anyways... I'm writing this as a form of therapy. It's tough to think of the countless cats that don't have the love that the ones in this thread do. Beautiful animals. Fantastic and loving pets.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Think Kali might be allergic to something.  Was scratching/petting her head and noticed these scabs around her neck.  Of course i was a little worried and googled what i felt.  They said she's probably allergic to food, or possibly flea bites, but she hasn't had a flea problem in years.  So my guess is probably her diabetic cat food.  I'll have to make an appointment to find out what exactly it is.
    Dang.
    took her to the doctors today for her glucose count and to get the scab checked out.  Looks like it just was her scratching it a lot, so that's good.  She just gave me some ointment to put on her twice a day.

This is good news.

I kinda got bummed out today. We were out of town and at lunch. Out the window, I noticed a cat walking along the sidewalk and stopping underneath parked vehicles. It didn't look mangy or abused. Each car it went under it sniffed for a bit... then walked to the next car and sniffed for a bit... every time it left a parked car you could see it meow. It was distressed. A homeless guy tried to coax it over to him, but the cat was having none of him.

When it reached the end of the line for parked vehicles, it proceeded to cross the side street. Then, it proceeded to cross the main drag. I held my breath. Cars hardly slowed down for it. The cat made it and ran underneath a shrub on the other side of the road.

It didn't stay long before it continued on its way. It was most likely lost. Or abandoned.

I felt horrible for it. It was distressed. I began to wonder about how things got shitty for the animal and I was feeling really badly that it was in the state it was. I still am.

To boot... about an hour ago... we were one of the first on the scene at a significant car accident. I'm certified in occupational first aid and assisted. No fatalities or major injuries, but an intense scene.

Anyways... I'm writing this as a form of therapy. It's tough to think of the countless cats that don't have the love that the ones in this thread do. Beautiful animals. Fantastic and loving pets.
    My first cat after I left home in my late teens was a stray I saw walking around busy Geary Boulevard in San Francisco one night.  The poor little thing fit in the palm of my hand.  I took him home and named him Marble but everyone pronounced it "Marvel" and that stuck because he was a marvel! 

Kudos, Thirty, for helping out on the scene.  That's a tough job.  Last year, we were first on the scene of a head on.  I called for help while my wife, who has more experience with this kind of thing and a remarkable ability to keep cool, stayed with the one guy who was pinned in his truck and was in really bad shape and kept him still until fire and medics arrived.  The man in the other vehicle had a broken wrist but otherwise was OK.  I can totally understand the need to write as therapy.  Well done.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Think Kali might be allergic to something.  Was scratching/petting her head and noticed these scabs around her neck.  Of course i was a little worried and googled what i felt.  They said she's probably allergic to food, or possibly flea bites, but she hasn't had a flea problem in years.  So my guess is probably her diabetic cat food.  I'll have to make an appointment to find out what exactly it is.
    Dang.

This is good news.

My first cat after I left home in my late teens was a stray I saw walking around busy Geary Boulevard in San Francisco one night.  The poor little thing fit in the palm of my hand.  I took him home and named him Marble but everyone pronounced it "Marvel" and that stuck because he was a marvel! 

Kudos, Thirty, for helping out on the scene.  That's a tough job.  Last year, we were first on the scene of a head on.  I called for help while my wife, who has more experience with this kind of thing and a remarkable ability to keep cool, stayed with the one guy who was pinned in his truck and was in really bad shape and kept him still until fire and medics arrived.  The man in the other vehicle had a broken wrist but otherwise was OK.  I can totally understand the need to write as therapy.  Well done.

Thanks, bri.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995

Went to the vet for the first time on Monday and they are perfectly healthy :rock_on:
    Oh oh oh, so cute.  So little.  

I forgot to add our new addition, Dug.  He's 6 months old.  Was found with his siblings in a box on the freeway in LA.  Someone stopped and took the box straight to a cat rescue.  Hero!  

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Whoops, forgot Dug photo.  
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    eeriepadave said:b98
    Dang.

This is good news.

That's a ton to take in at once Thirty. I totally understand your need to let it out. I am thankful for you that the accident was not any worse.  It's probably good news for the kitty that he didn't want to accept help from a helping hand. He is a tough, feral cat and he will be okay. 
    Dave I'm happy that Kali is feeling better. And Omg! Dug... you are awesome!!!
    Sashi in the sun and Gizzy in the shadows almost getting along this afternoon...

• eeriepadave said:b98
    Dang.

This is good news.

That's a ton to take in at once Thirty. I totally understand your need to let it out. I am thankful for you that the accident was not any worse.  It's probably good news for the kitty that he didn't want to accept help from a helping hand. He is a tough, feral cat and he will be okay. 

I hope you're right. Cats don't always fare very well outside. This cat was playing in traffic- not something a cat can do many times.

I like Dug up there. It takes a pretty cruel person to drop a box of kittens off on the side of a freeway, but as fate would have it... Dug and Enkidu were destined!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Dave I'm happy that Kali is feeling better. And Omg! Dug... you are awesome!!!
    thanks, yeah she's doing ok.  her glucose level is too low now so i have to reduce her insulin shot, but other than that sh'e fine.

cute pics everyone! :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Dang.

This is good news.

This is just a general comment to everyone: If you ever see a distressed/stray/in danger cat please do something about it. Go out and get it and drive it or carry it to a shelter, or call the local SPCA and give specific info about its location at least.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dang.

This is good news.

This is just a general comment to everyone: If you ever see a distressed/stray/in danger cat please do something about it. Go out and get it and drive it or carry it to a shelter, or call the local SPCA and give specific info about its location at least.
    But let the bunnies fend for themselves. They're assholes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dang.

This is good news.

No, bunnies too (I wish people who got little bunnies as pets and then change their minds and let them go in parks would get jail time. This is a big problem in some areas where I am, and it's led to terrible rabbit culls).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dang.

This is good news.

No, bunnies too (I wish people who got little bunnies as pets and then change their minds and let them go in parks would get jail time. This is a big problem in some areas where I am, and it's led to terrible rabbit culls).

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I have seen so many stray cats lately it’s so sad. I wish I could take them all in. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Enkidu said:
    Dug looks like he has some spunk! Love it
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Enkidu said:
    Dug: Mom! Mom! Mom! Someone let a dog into the house.
    Mom: Two, actually.
    Dug: Whaaaaaaa?!!
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Juniper McCready enjoying a beautiful fall day and a walk in the pollinator garden. 

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    this kid is kinda a dick and deserves what his cat does to him.  I just thought it was funny that he named him Bon Jovi :lol:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • this kid is kinda a dick and deserves what his cat does to him.  I just thought it was funny that he named him Bon Jovi :lol:

The cat has endured some abuse at the hands of that kid. I'm figuring that has to be the case.

All things said though... he's one cranky bastard that Bon Jovi lol.
    Happy International Cat Day!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    No automatic alt text available
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Dang.

This is good news.

Damn straight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4
  • No automatic alt text available

lol

Both my cats get on high alert when the vacuum comes out. They watch from a safe distance or from a perch as if their life depended on it.

I just have to make a move towards the spray bottle and they flee.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I've been neglectful with all this feline cuteness.

They're so damned fickle; our "bold" one runs from the bird feather toy (and she loves toys) but our scaredy-boy loves it.

Vacuums?  She'll observe from a distance, and he'll be under the bed before we can even plug it in.

I love them to pieces.
  • hedonist said:
    I've been neglectful with all this feline cuteness.

They're so damned fickle; our "bold" one runs from the bird feather toy (and she loves toys) but our scaredy-boy loves it.

Vacuums?  She'll observe from a distance, and he'll be under the bed before we can even plug it in.

I love them to pieces.

Funny eh?

I mean... guaranteed every cat in this thread is smothered with affection- we've never given them a bum steer ever (fed them and picked their shits out of litter boxes their entire life). 

Yet... their instincts take them to a place of trepidation every time the old vacuum comes out once or twice a week lol. Hey... cats... nothing bad ever happens to you. Only good stuff happens to you. Just chill. 
    Molly would attack the vacuum cleaner, swatting at it with her paw.

I never blamed her. That thing is a goddamn nuisance.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I don't use a vacuum anymore, since I moved to a place completely carpet-free.... So now she runs away from the Swiffer Sweeper. What an idiot. :lol:
    Willow would hide under my bed everytime i would use it. Kali is ok with the vacuum actually.  Only thing she really hides from are people she doesn't know
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I don't use a vacuum anymore, since I moved to a place completely carpet-free.... So now she runs away from the Swiffer Sweeper. What an idiot. :lol:
    lol

Same. Mika freaks out with the broom.