The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I don't think Spieth is a force right now
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Yeah not at all.  He has had a brutal year.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Wasn't he 3rd in the Masters and top 10 at British Open? I mean he's definitely not playing his best but, "brutal and not a force"? Not a chance.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wasn't he 3rd in the Masters and top 10 at British Open? I mean he's definitely not playing his best but, "brutal and not a force"? Not a chance.
    He has had some good moments, but it has been over a year since his last win.....that's a really long time for a guy as good as Spieth.  He has even said it himself that he is struggling big time this year.
    Masters was a big time back door 3rd, Kuchar style, with a big final round and he was never really a threat, was he?  Also, that dude is gonna be in contention at that course until he's 60, like Freddy.  British he was in the final group and choked.

He came into the season ranked 2nd in the world and is currently 42nd in the FedEx rankings, so yea, I wouldn't say he's much of a force this year.
    edited August 2018
    Just to add, Spieth hasn't won a tournament in over 12 months.  Last was the 2017 British, right?

Also, I don't think Tiger is a "force" yet.  He's a great story and I think he's going to win again, but I don't think anyone is scared of him right now.  I'd label Tiger as competitive at this point.  That said, obviously worthy of the coverage.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    There are so many great players now it's excellent  for the game and so great to watch unfold. Many potential winners instead of just a few. I love it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

I hear what you guys are saying. Maybe "inconsistent" is the better way to describe his year. I don't know....I don't care how you end up there, finishing top 10 in two majors is far from a brutal year in my book. He's also got the 3rd best odds this week.

For me it takes a much longer period of time than one year to move out of the "being a force" category of player. That's why it won't shock anyone to see him win the PGA this week.

chinese-happy.jpg

I hear what you guys are saying. Maybe "inconsistent" is the better way to describe his year. I don't know....I don't care how you end up there, finishing top 10 in two majors is far from a brutal year in my book. He's also got the 3rd best odds this week.

For me it takes a much longer period of time than one year to move out of the "being a force" category of player. That's why it won't shock anyone to see him win the PGA this week.

I mean I get it.  You value mediocrity as in the Phillies leading a crap ass division in a crap ass league and puffing your chest about it. :smiley:  

If we're using this force language, you gotta be a serious contender to win and with where his game's at right now, I just don't think he is.  See I think other sports, I get where you're coming from and would agree, but golf is so fickle if your game is off, you don't have a shot and that's how I look at him this year.  Not saying he can't get back there quickly.  But I'm talking people who are threats to win every time they tee off.

So yeah, now he's definitely going to win this weekend.  Sounds like this course is gonna be a Firestone style leader board, so probably not, but after this convo I'll be eating my words.
    edited August 2018

I mean I get it.  You value mediocrity as in the Phillies leading a crap ass division in a crap ass league and puffing your chest about it. :smiley:  

If we're using this force language, you gotta be a serious contender to win and with where his game's at right now, I just don't think he is.  See I think other sports, I get where you're coming from and would agree, but golf is so fickle if your game is off, you don't have a shot and that's how I look at him this year.  Not saying he can't get back there quickly.  But I'm talking people who are threats to win every time they tee off.

So yeah, now he's definitely going to win this weekend.  Sounds like this course is gonna be a Firestone style leader board, so probably not, but after this convo I'll be eating my words.

Dude--he almost won the British Open a couple weeks ago... in what's considered a down year for him. He'll be fine.

And it's okay that you were wrong about the Phils this year, Cliff. I won't hold that against you.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Dude--he almost won the British Open a couple weeks ago... in what's considered a down year for him. He'll be fine.

And it's okay that you were wrong about the Phils this year, Cliff. I won't hold that against you.

Did he though?

See I wasn't wrong.  It's not my fault the Nats stink.
    The Phillies offense is as exciting to watch as boy wonder hitting driver. Ba dum ching.

Did he though?

Finishing in the top ten in a major is nothing to sneeze at.

And, sure, the Nats struggling is the reason the Phils are on pace for 90 wins.

chinese-happy.jpg

Did he though?

Obviously not, and everyone thought he was going to win going into the final round, but he took him self out of it within an hour. We can go in circles all day. The dude is barely 25 and has 3 majors and is probably a hall of famer already. I get that.  I just don't think anyone is scared of him this year.  It can turn quickly though

I mean, it has some impact on it.  Also the fact that there isn't a good team in the NL helps.  They have more wins than I expected. Their starters are better than I expected. I don't think they are very good though.  12th best run differential in baseball. Better than I expected but general mediocrity.  Their record is over achieving.  
    edited August 2018

Did he though?

Obviously not, and everyone thought he was going to win going into the final round, but he took him self out of it within an hour. We can go in circles all day. The dude is barely 25 and has 3 majors and is probably a hall of famer already. I get that.  I just don't think anyone is scared of him this year.  It can turn quickly though

I mean, it has some impact on it.  Also the fact that there isn't a good team in the NL helps.  They have more wins than I expected. Their starters are better than I expected. I don't think they are very good though.  12th best run differential in baseball. Better than I expected but general mediocrity.  Their record is over achieving.  

I remember you calling them stupid for signing Arrietta. With him, they've got one of the deeper rotations in baseball with one of the game's best aces. That is the primary reason for their success thus far. They also have the best bullpen in the NL over the last 6 or 7 weeks. Offense has slowly but surely rounded into form recently as well.

Run differential is cute but they're also 41-32 vs teams over .500. Overachieving yes-but they're better than you think and a year or two ahead of schedule.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Did he though?

I remember you calling them stupid for signing Arrietta. With him, they've got one of the deeper rotations in baseball with one of the game's best aces. That is the primary reason for their success thus far. They also have the best bullpen in the NL over the last 6 or 7 weeks. Offense has slowly but surely rounded into form recently as well.

Run differential is cute but they're also 41-32 vs teams over .500. Overachieving yes-but they're better than you think and a year or two ahead of schedule.

You know what matters in baseball? Scoring more than your opppnents. Yanks have a great record against good teams too. So what.

Still don’t like the arrieta signing because everything but the Phillies record tells you that they’re kinda shitty, which at the end of the day is all that really counts but winning with a run differential like that is not sustainable. And I could even see the Phillies winning a playoff series because you know what, the NL is basically triple a.

its okay. You celebrate mediocrity. The Phillies are like a good mid major basketball team. 

Back to golf. Hot take. Boy wonder’s best days are behind him. Won’t ever have the ignorant confidence (I say that in a positive way) that he once had

Did he though?

You know what matters in baseball? Scoring more than your opppnents. Yanks have a great record against good teams too. So what.

Still don’t like the arrieta signing because everything but the Phillies record tells you that they’re kinda shitty, which at the end of the day is all that really counts but winning with a run differential like that is not sustainable. And I could even see the Phillies winning a playoff series because you know what, the NL is basically triple a.

its okay. You celebrate mediocrity. The Phillies are like a good mid major basketball team. 

Back to golf. Hot take. Boy wonder’s best days are behind him. Won’t ever have the ignorant confidence (I say that in a positive way) that he once had

Ha....so it seems like you put literally no stock in good pitching. Alrighty then.

Generally speaking, the better teams in the league tend to have the best records against teams with winning records. Only the Yanks and Redsox have a better winning percentage vs .500 teams than the Phils do. Phils are also 10-5 vs your AL. Onward. Upward.

chinese-happy.jpg

Did he though?

Ha....so it seems like you put literally no stock in good pitching. Alrighty then.

Generally speaking, the better teams in the league tend to have the best records against teams with winning records. Only the Yanks and Redsox have a better winning percentage vs .500 teams than the Phils do. Phils are also 10-5 vs your AL. Onward. Upward.

I have said I like their pitching in general 

yanks stink 

Did he though?

I have said I like their pitching in general 

yanks stink 
    I must have missed that. Was too focused on the “everything but their record is shitty” comment. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Tiger Woods taking ice baths, stretching to help with inflammation ahead of PGA Championship https://es.pn/2niL1TR
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Definitely seems to be a force regularly again. Great to see. 
    He needs binoculars to see the leaders ... that is not being a force...
    He’s four strokes ahead of Jordan Spieth. So Spieth’s not a force, either, right?

People just need to get used to the fact that Tiger is back. Not the Tiger of a decade ago....but he’s back.... and he will contend regularly and he will win again. He is still one of the best golfers in the world. 
    How'd Tiger do Sunday?  

Get used to it man. He's back. To dispute that is to dispute reality. 

reality is overrated.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:
    He’s four strokes ahead of Jordan Spieth. So Spieth’s not a force, either, right?

People just need to get used to the fact that Tiger is back. Not the Tiger of a decade ago....but he’s back.... and he will contend regularly and he will win again. He is still one of the best golfers in the world. 
    How'd Tiger do Sunday?  

reality is overrated.
    So are you
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:

How'd Tiger do Sunday?  

reality is overrated.
    So are you
    But not Tiger. He gets all the publicity he should. Because he's Tiger F'ing Woods!
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:

How'd Tiger do Sunday?  

reality is overrated.
    So are you

YOU ARE!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Great job battling back to an Even Par 70
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bflynn1 said:
    Exactly. That’s as good as you can expect after that start. 

Oh and by the way...Rickie! Maybe this is his breakthrough week. Would love to see that. 
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Exactly. That’s as good as you can expect after that start. 

Oh and by the way...Rickie! Maybe this is his breakthrough week. Would love to see that. 

Feels like that has been said so many times after the first round of a major.  We'll see....he hasn't won anything in well over a year.
    bbiggs said:

People just need to get used to the fact that Tiger is back. Not the Tiger of a decade ago....but he’s back.... and he will contend regularly and he will win again. 

senior tour?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Ollie Schniederjans is T4 and two shots off the lead. And he’s getting no f’n coverage!! What gives?? 

I kid. :lol: