Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,017
    Question for you guys on here as I have been trying to follow.

Didn't Tiger Woods get paid some exuberant amounts to play in non sanctioned PGA games?  Nobody said a woot about it.

Is this because so many players would jump ship from the PGA for certain LIV tournaments?

A one-off event is different than an entire tour.  Anytime a PGA tour member plays in a non-tour event they need to get a release from the tour.

And yeah the concern is players just popping in and out of the tour....the PGA Tour business model isn't sustainable with players doing that.
    Plus, Tiger’s cameo appearances on the Japanese and Asian tours helped grow the game worldwide. Which is basically what Norman and Mickelson claim the LIV Tour will do….but won’t. 
    Being overseas I know that the Saudis are crazy about Golf so maybe the rich ones who can afford it would enjoy it so not sure about the common person over there.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Question for you guys on here as I have been trying to follow.

Didn't Tiger Woods get paid some exuberant amounts to play in non sanctioned PGA games?  Nobody said a woot about it.

Is this because so many players would jump ship from the PGA for certain LIV tournaments?

A one-off event is different than an entire tour.  Anytime a PGA tour member plays in a non-tour event they need to get a release from the tour.

And yeah the concern is players just popping in and out of the tour....the PGA Tour business model isn't sustainable with players doing that.
    Plus, Tiger’s cameo appearances on the Japanese and Asian tours helped grow the game worldwide. Which is basically what Norman and Mickelson claim the LIV Tour will do….but won’t. 
    Being overseas I know that the Saudis are crazy about Golf so maybe the rich ones who can afford it would enjoy it so not sure about the common person over there.
    Strangely, only one of the eight tournaments is actually being held in Saudi Arabia. I wonder if they’re testing the waters and want to have more in the future. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    mrussel1 said:
    Let’s view it from a non-Saudi Arabia lens.  It is good for less prominent players as they get guaranteed money like other sports.  The format could be more interesting for fans.  We’ll have to wait and see.  I like the shotgun start.  You can watch all the competitors at one time vs. a 9 hour window.  

We’ll have to wait and see.
    As the great philosopher "Wobbie" once said, "Fuck the Saudis"
    thanks for recognizing my philosophical genius.

fuck this guy, too.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    Addition by subtraction
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    That Phil interview/press conference was wild today.  He kept it together.  He was in a tough spot of his own making.  

He kept talking about the good of the game, but all his examples were that it was good for him and his family.   Also, not being able to say what human rights issues he was talking about was pretty telling.   You can say four times that you are for human rights, but then not really say what human rights you are referring to when asked is shameful.  Are you really supporting those rights at this point if you don't have the guts to say what they are because you want to protect who gave you $200M?   Shameful.  Just say it is for the money and end the interview.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,952
    Im at the  golf
     Pj hat on.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    That Phil interview/press conference was wild today.  He kept it together.  He was in a tough spot of his own making.  

He kept talking about the good of the game, but all his examples were that it was good for him and his family.   Also, not being able to say what human rights issues he was talking about was pretty telling.   You can say four times that you are for human rights, but then not really say what human rights you are referring to when asked is shameful.  Are you really supporting those rights at this point if you don't have the guts to say what they are because you want to protect who gave you $200M?   Shameful.  Just say it is for the money and end the interview.
    This.  It's what they should all say.  Spare us all the bullshit about human rights.  Graeme McDowell pretty much detailed how LIV golf is just sportswashing for the Saudis in his press conference.
  • Options
    Checked out the LIV broadcast on youtube for a bit.  That leaderboard is hurting my eyes....it looks like it's in a different language.
  • Options
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Got to say it was wank.
    And its all odd.
    You get really  close to the players but what an odd mix if players and levels  and teams? 
    Just odd
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,280
    Got to say it was wank.
    And its all odd.
    You get really  close to the players but what an odd mix if players and levels  and teams? 
    Just odd
    You were there?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yes its about  2 miles  from my house.  I might go sat. I got 3 day passes for a couple of pounds from  ebay. Seemed not many interested.  And people selling  complimentary tickets for  peanuts basically  free
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    That is cool you get to check it out.
  • Options
    Jerry Foltz is really embarrassing himself on the LIV broadcast.  Hyping up this tournament like it's the Masters and won't shut up about how excited the players are to be there.  They are there for the money...plain and simple.
  • Options
    The money is insane. Am i right to say 3 million each for the winning team .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Jerry Foltz is really embarrassing himself on the LIV broadcast.  Hyping up this tournament like it's the Masters and won't shut up about how excited the players are to be there.  They are there for the money...plain and simple.
    Yeah...they're excited to be there for all the money. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

From a pragmatic point of view, the PGA needs to go nuclear on LIV and anyone that is taking money from LIV.  I have no problem with someone taking a better offer in regards to money, but the players that are leaving are also taking star power that was cultivated in the PGA and will end up hurting the future earning potential of current PGA members.  Tiger not playing already makes a good percentage of the viewing public stop watching.  Now you take away a good handful of the top players and ratings are going to tank.

The PGA should also make it clear that any course that hosts a LIV event will be banned from future PGA events until the end of time.  The message should be clear about the consequence of choice made by the players and those in the industry. 

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    This is all so troubling and just sucks for the sport.  At the end of the day, we are just going to end up with 2 mediocre products.

LIV isn't supposed to make money and it's not going to.  There is no business model because it's purpose is clearly not to make money from golf directly.  There were 3k people watching the stream earlier today, the novelty didn't last 24 hours. I don't plan to watch one second.  Will there ever be any advertisers?

The PGA can't compete with these dollars, so people are going to trickle away.  Bryson is the only one that truly hurts so far, but there will be others, a bunch of which we know and while none of them truly hurt, it's just going to create weaker fields for the PGA.

Listening to No Laying Up and the PGA should have teamed up with the PGL to do something like this, but they were ignorant.  Hopefully the Netflix doc catches on like it did for F1 and something happens to change things up and bring attention.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

From a pragmatic point of view, the PGA needs to go nuclear on LIV and anyone that is taking money from LIV.  I have no problem with someone taking a better offer in regards to money, but the players that are leaving are also taking star power that was cultivated in the PGA and will end up hurting the future earning potential of current PGA members.  Tiger not playing already makes a good percentage of the viewing public stop watching.  Now you take away a good handful of the top players and ratings are going to tank.

The PGA should also make it clear that any course that hosts a LIV event will be banned from future PGA events until the end of time.  The message should be clear about the consequence of choice made by the players and those in the industry. 

The only way they can go nuclear is to somehow make sure they don’t get the owgr points and ideally get them banned from majors. Don’t see how the USGA or R&A can exclude people since they’re opens, which brings it back to owgr.

Getting them banned from the masters alone would be massive though, but have a tough time seeing that, but you never know 
  • Options
    I haven’t dreamed of playing the Masters and worked hard at golf my whole life.  

But, for the aging veterans that have played in ten Masters they are probably okay giving it up for the time and $$$.  The younger players on tour know how difficult it can be to win and get to the Masters and be okay taking the $$$ from LIV and letting go of the Masters.  

I just don’t think the majors are going to be as big of a draw as we think to keep people in the PGA. We will see.  If the Majors don’t have all the greats in the game then I don’t know how interested I will be in watching. 
  • Options
    This is all so troubling and just sucks for the sport.  At the end of the day, we are just going to end up with 2 mediocre products.

LIV isn't supposed to make money and it's not going to.  There is no business model because it's purpose is clearly not to make money from golf directly.  There were 3k people watching the stream earlier today, the novelty didn't last 24 hours. I don't plan to watch one second.  Will there ever be any advertisers?

The PGA can't compete with these dollars, so people are going to trickle away.  Bryson is the only one that truly hurts so far, but there will be others, a bunch of which we know and while none of them truly hurt, it's just going to create weaker fields for the PGA.

Listening to No Laying Up and the PGA should have teamed up with the PGL to do something like this, but they were ignorant.  Hopefully the Netflix doc catches on like it did for F1 and something happens to change things up and bring attention.
    I've been listening to the all the NLU podcasts about this and it's all just kinda sad.  The Tour will never be able to compete with the Saudi money.  Everyone rips on the Tour and says it needs to change but what type of changes do people want?  This team stuff? Smaller fields?  They tried the team event with Zurich and the WGCs which don't get much traction.  By no means am I saying the Tour is perfect but I just don't know what the answer is.     

And holy shit I kinda forgot about the Netflix show....what a year for a behind the scenes look on the tour!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114

But, for the aging veterans that have played in ten Masters they are probably okay giving it up for the time and $$$.  The younger players on tour know how difficult it can be to win and get to the Masters and be okay taking the $$$ from LIV and letting go of the Masters.  

I just don’t think the majors are going to be as big of a draw as we think to keep people in the PGA. We will see.  If the Majors don’t have all the greats in the game then I don’t know how interested I will be in watching. 

The majors should rework its entrance requirement to focus on rewarding the full tours, the players that play 72 holes 20+ times per year, and start limiting the future exclusions for winning majors. The majors should be a reward for full time golfers. They need the Masters to do something like changing the lifetime exclusion for future winners being dependent upon full time tour membership (US, Euro,Asia, etc) , and an 8 event tour simply is not an elite level tour, whether or not the super greedy players like Bryson or Reed crap on the tour that gave them the opportunity to be successful. Give the Saudi tour winners some points, but there should be no way to get enough points on an 54 hole 8 event tour to qualify for a major.

Not doing this would be like MLB  allowing the winner of a beer league to qualify for the playoffs.
  • Options
    Just incredible.  Is there a bigger asshole out there than Greg Norman???  Such a clown.

• Options
    edited June 2022

I've been listening to the all the NLU podcasts about this and it's all just kinda sad.  The Tour will never be able to compete with the Saudi money.  Everyone rips on the Tour and says it needs to change but what type of changes do people want?  This team stuff? Smaller fields?  They tried the team event with Zurich and the WGCs which don't get much traction.  By no means am I saying the Tour is perfect but I just don't know what the answer is.     

And holy shit I kinda forgot about the Netflix show....what a year for a behind the scenes look on the tour!
    Netflix is going to be wild.  Have to figure at least some of these guys were involved with the Netflix stuff.

Yeah, I've been listening to as much as I can and they are on point and on top of it.  Agreed.  I remember them talking to that PGL guy and it was a good conversation and they seemed pretty in on that.  Maybe take some of that money and do a secondary side by side "tour" that's more along the lines of LIV and runs parallel to the standard PGA stuff?

But agreed, sad for golf and unfortunate.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,280
    When does the Netflix show start?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Right? All the old Euro guys were never going to win a major again, so I get that.

I do think the majors will continue to hold relevance with younger players, maybe not all, but Rahm, JT, etc. all clearly hold them in high regard and I don't think that will diminish
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Right? All the old Euro guys were never going to win a major again, so I get that.

I do think the majors will continue to hold relevance with younger players, maybe not all, but Rahm, JT, etc. all clearly hold them in high regard and I don't think that will diminish
    Agree. It will be different for everyone.  JT seems pretty motivated to win Majors.  But I could see a star like Rahm saying I've played in the PGA for ten years and won one major (and barely did at that), so is playing 10 more years for the PGA and potentially winning 2-4 Majors a big enough incentive to say no to a massive pay day and an easier lifestyle with LIV?   If we see more big names leave, then the Majors could be less important to the current PGA stars as they could view the competition being less strong than in the past (is a PGA Championship as big a deal if 15 of the top 50 in the world aren't playing, for example).   
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    got lucky
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Nice!