Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,521
    athletes always go with the “taking care of my family” thing.

Phil oughta give $50M to LBGTQ causes.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    I hope these guys get their money up front.  Not guys you want to get into a dispute with 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,521
    it would serve them right if they met a bone saw.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,337
    I bet we're eventually going to see a lot of others jump over, especially if they're still able to play in majors. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,560
    Maybe the players think they can do good with that money instead of buying multiple homes, planes and gambling losses.
  • Options
    I'm glad we can pay more for oil so they can afford to pay these golfers.  
  • Options
    Maybe the players think they can do good with that money instead of buying multiple homes, planes and gambling losses.
    If you're a guy who's barely making the cut every week, this is the difference between a guaranteed $120,000 pay check verses coming home with nothing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I was referring more to the DJ's and Phil's.  Totally get why guaranteed money is huge for the journeyman players.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    I bet we're eventually going to see a lot of others jump over, especially if they're still able to play in majors. 
    I think the biggest thing is going to be if these LIV tournaments are offered OWGR points.  If they can't get world ranking points then these guys won't stay ranked high enough to qualify for the majors unless they're exempt as past winners.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,752
    DeChambeau, Fowler, and Reed are reportedly going to join LIV. At least according to Sky Sports. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    No brainer for Reed.  Nobody likes him anyway.  What the hell happened to Fowler's game?  Complacency?  

Funny to see all these people scatter after Phil's comments and then come right back two months later.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,692
    I think the biggest thing is going to be if these LIV tournaments are offered OWGR points.  If they can't get world ranking points then these guys won't stay ranked high enough to qualify for the majors unless they're exempt as past winners.
    I think this is exactly right.  And why would the Euro or Asia tour award any points?  And wouldn't all the established tours pressure the majors to not accept LIV points?  One would think.  The real issue with the LIV is that it encroaches on the territory of everyone.  They have tourneys in Europe, US and Asia.  There's no reason for the tours to play nice here.  They need to do everything in their power to box out the LIV. 
  • Options
    I think they should get OWGR points.  A tour is a tour.  I imagine the points though are pretty small compared to the major tours.  Maybe there is an argument that the LIV format shouldn't be provided points though.  I could see that if it is a team event (I don't know if it is like college where it is a team but still track individual scoring).  
  • Options
    I think what's going to happen here is we're going to end up with 2 mediocre tours with PGA and LIV and the only tourneys with great fields will be the majors. 
  • Options
    I think they should get OWGR points.  A tour is a tour.  I imagine the points though are pretty small compared to the major tours.  Maybe there is an argument that the LIV format shouldn't be provided points though.  I could see that if it is a team event (I don't know if it is like college where it is a team but still track individual scoring).  
    I think an argument against LIV counting towards OWGR points might be that the tournaments are only 54 holes, with no cut. I’m not positive but I assume that every other tour that counts towards OWGR are 72-hole tournaments. I could be wrong though. I know there’s small tours that have 36-hole tournaments…but I don’t know if they count towards OWGR. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    But why wouldn't the PGA, European and Asian tours exert extreme pressure on the majors, with whom they've had a long and fruitful relationship, to deny points?  Not doing so would be total breach of fiduciary duty and a strategic disaster.  The tours have to do it.  
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    But why wouldn't the PGA, European and Asian tours exert extreme pressure on the majors, with whom they've had a long and fruitful relationship, to deny points?  Not doing so would be total breach of fiduciary duty and a strategic disaster.  The tours have to do it.  
    I don’t know all the rules or structures and which current tours provide points or not.  If all the levels of tours provide some amount of points then don’t see how LIV should be excluded except for the format.  If it is selective then it is a different story.

I agree from the PGA, DP World, and Asia tours perspective they would want to fight it as hard as they can.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Ams are in the OWGR, so I don't think 72 holes is a requirement.

Bryson and Reed hurt.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don’t know all the rules or structures and which current tours provide points or not.  If all the levels of tours provide some amount of points then don’t see how LIV should be excluded except for the format.  If it is selective then it is a different story.
    But why wouldn't the existing tours pressure the Majors to exclude any LIV points?  It would be insanity to let the Saudis just pick off players without any attempt at repercussions.  These are agreements between business partners.  There are no 'rights' or 'fairness' about it.  If I was the PGA, I would ensure that I and the Euro tour (with whom PGA has a long and positive relationship) turned the screws as hard as I could on the majors. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    But why wouldn't the existing tours pressure the Majors to exclude any LIV points?  It would be insanity to let the Saudis just pick off players without any attempt at repercussions.  These are agreements between business partners.  There are no 'rights' or 'fairness' about it.  If I was the PGA, I would ensure that I and the Euro tour (with whom PGA has a long and positive relationship) turned the screws as hard as I could on the majors. 
    I corrected my earlier post to indicate that I agree from those tours' perspective they would fight it as much as possible. 

I would need to know more about what is required currently to be allowed points for a specific tour.   If LIV meets the requirements then I think they should get points, if they don't then they shouldn't.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    Question for you guys on here as I have been trying to follow.

Didn't Tiger Woods get paid some exuberant amounts to play in non sanctioned PGA games?  Nobody said a woot about it.

Is this because so many players would jump ship from the PGA for certain LIV tournaments?
  • Options

Didn't Tiger Woods get paid some exuberant amounts to play in non sanctioned PGA games?  Nobody said a woot about it.

Is this because so many players would jump ship from the PGA for certain LIV tournaments?

A one-off event is different than an entire tour.  Anytime a PGA tour member plays in a non-tour event they need to get a release from the tour.

And yeah the concern is players just popping in and out of the tour....the PGA Tour business model isn't sustainable with players doing that.
  • Options

A one-off event is different than an entire tour.  Anytime a PGA tour member plays in a non-tour event they need to get a release from the tour.

And yeah the concern is players just popping in and out of the tour....the PGA Tour business model isn't sustainable with players doing that.
    So this is an Indy league(IRL)/CART type thing.  Got it.
  • Options

Yeah something like that.  Either way, this isn't going to be "good for the game" like that dipshit Greg Norman keeps saying.  
  • Options

Yeah something like that.  Either way, this isn't going to be "good for the game" like that dipshit Greg Norman keeps saying.  
    It's good for the players so they can get paid is what I see it as.

Phil getting 200Mil for this is amazing.  He won't make that with his advertising money in 10 years on tour.
  • Options
    Let’s view it from a non-Saudi Arabia lens.  It is good for less prominent players as they get guaranteed money like other sports.  The format could be more interesting for fans.  We’ll have to wait and see.  I like the shotgun start.  You can watch all the competitors at one time vs. a 9 hour window.  

We’ll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Let’s view it from a non-Saudi Arabia lens.  It is good for less prominent players as they get guaranteed money like other sports.  The format could be more interesting for fans.  We’ll have to wait and see.  I like the shotgun start.  You can watch all the competitors at one time vs. a 9 hour window.  

As the great philosopher "Wobbie" once said, "Fuck the Saudis"
  • Options

Even from a non-Saudi lens, the format really doesn't do much for me.  The field is pretty bad and the whole team aspect of it seems extremely lame.  With all the money in the world, those were the team names and logos they came up with???  And not sure about the shotgun start....some guys get to finish on easy holes and some on hard holes?  
  • Options

Plus, Tiger’s cameo appearances on the Japanese and Asian tours helped grow the game worldwide. Which is basically what Norman and Mickelson claim the LIV Tour will do….but won’t. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Maybe they work something out where the LIV tour starts when the PGA tour ends? 

It's only 8 tournaments. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg