The Concept of God

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    You think fast Hugh, I'm impressed!
    don't be too impressed. this shit makes my head hurt. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    You think fast Hugh, I'm impressed!
    don't be too impressed. this shit makes my head hurt. 
    It's almost literally painful to think of these things lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    The only problem I have with the energy theory is that you may have to believe in reincarnation. Or at least a form of your energy possibly transforming into another human being. I don't know about that. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    The only problem I have with the energy theory is that you may have to believe in reincarnation. Or at least a form of your energy possibly transforming into another human being. I don't know about that. 

I don't think that would be necessary, just remove linear time instead.
    Or, if you looked at it from a multiverse perspective, you could think of that energy as being shared across all the different versions of you, and when you pass it moves into the others.
    Like that Jet Li movie. 
    The one where he beats a dude up with a motorcycle.
    rgambs said:

Or, if you looked at it from a multiverse perspective, you could think of that energy as being shared across all the different versions of you, and when you pass it moves into the others.
    Like that Jet Li movie. 
    I get what you're saying. But in order to believe that, you have to accept that you may have lived another life somewhere either in the past or somewhere else all together.
    rgambs said:

Like that Jet Li movie. 
    I get what you're saying. But in order to believe that, you have to accept that you may have lived another life somewhere either in the past or somewhere else all together.
    More like living an infinite number of lives right now and forever in both directions!
    The Multiverse is rad.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    this makes so little sense to me I'm sitting here at my desk laughing my ass off. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    this makes so little sense to me I'm sitting here at my desk laughing my ass off. 
    Hahaha good!  It was a Highlander type Jet Li movie where bad Jet Li travels the multiverse killing all the good Jet Li's and stealing their power.
    I'm pretty sure at one point he picks up a motorcycle and beats someone down with it.
    The One?
    Yeah, that's it!  Had some good Kung Fu if I remember correctly.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    The concept of Fairies.

and trolls in my garden
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    It's interesting to see so many people who don't believe in God still talking about God.....  Excellent stuff....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Attaway77 said:
    It's interesting to see so many people who don't believe in God still talking about God.....  Excellent stuff....

“In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.”  - Sam Harris

• Attaway77 said:
    It's more a case of people expressing their disbelief that in the modern era... there are still ties to medieval days.

It really doesn't make a huge difference to me whether someone wants to believe in a deity or not- except when such beliefs impact others in any way.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What if God was one of us?
    Just a slob like one of us
    Just a stranger on the bus
    Tryin' to make his way home?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Attaway77 said:
    It's more a case of people expressing their disbelief that in the modern era... there are still ties to medieval days.

It really doesn't make a huge difference to me whether someone wants to believe in a deity or not- except when such beliefs impact others in any way.
    Humans are the ones who impact each other, whatever or whoever their belief is in. Just as those who love God and do some fucked up shit, there are just as more who believe in infinite and nothing at all doing the same fucked up shit. Humans are the ones who impact each other, no matter the belief.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Damn this makes me feel dumb. I guess we are all good at something. Still searching. But i do admire the depth of knowledge here. And the width of thought. Just goes to show for all we know we know nothing really! Have that!!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Damn this makes me feel dumb. I guess we are all good at something. Still searching. But i do admire the depth of knowledge here. And the width of thought. Just goes to show for all we know we know nothing really! Have that!!
    Agree about depth of knowledge that's what I'm saying. I've learned quite a bit site wide here. I thought I was keepin up till I came here.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Agree about depth of knowledge that's what I'm saying. I've learned quite a bit site wide here. I thought I was keepin up till I came here.
    I agree. I thought I was fairly well read before I came here. Then realized I was way out of my league. I changed the way I looked at everything when I started reading and talking and getting my ass handed to me.
  • Attaway77 said:
    Attaway77 said:

Humans are the ones who impact each other, whatever or whoever their belief is in. Just as those who love God and do some fucked up shit, there are just as more who believe in infinite and nothing at all doing the same fucked up shit. Humans are the ones who impact each other, no matter the belief.

Ultimately... you are correct. Trust me when I say I have just as much a problem with other drivers or motivations that lead people to impact others in a negative way.

Leave people alone. Be a giver more than you are a taker.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I agree. I thought I was fairly well read before I came here. Then realized I was way out of my league. I changed the way I looked at everything when I started reading and talking and getting my ass handed to me.
    Lol! I wasn't even at the level you just described. :lol:
    Attaway77 said:
    Attaway77 said:

Ultimately... you are correct. Trust me when I say I have just as much a problem with other drivers or motivations that lead people to impact others in a negative way.

YES!! AMEN!! HALLELUJAH!! PREACH BROTHER!! HEAR HEAR!!
  • FoxyRedLa said:
    Attaway77 said:
    Attaway77 said:

YES!! AMEN!! HALLELUJAH!! PREACH BROTHER!! HEAR HEAR!!

Lol. Cheers!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Not to worry- entropy will solve that issue!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    FoxyRedLa said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree that belief in God harms no one though. Sure, on a personal, individual level that's how it seems, and I get that ..... But it's not that simple.
    Can you expand on that a bit, maybe give example where a person's belief is absolutely harmful to another?
    I'm talking about the big picture. Their belief is what feeds the religion monster at the end of the day, all around the globe. Their belief is what allows religion to play such a massive role in government control, gender inequality, bigotry, etc. Of course I don't literally blame every individual... but one cannot deny that each and every person's belief in God is what ultimately allows people to use religion to control the masses and do harm with it.
    I'm sorry. I know this isn't the subject. But I'm more exhausted with the racist bullshit back and forth. Daily I deal with :open_mouth: did you just say that. Wtf man. Prime example. My white female coworker has convo with black man coworker. Black man is telling story about how he and his brother both stand like their dad. Going on and on lovey dovey. Female coworker says blah blah blah monkey see monkey do blah blah blah you're family is so loving and close. Black coworker stops the convo and says something along the lines of you're lucky you are who you are and we're friends cuz if we weren't....blah blah blah. I was disgusted and immediately turned off. Really? Everyday at work. It's absolutely exhausting.
    Sorry, I have absolutely no clue what this story means in relation to my post or really what the convo was... who got offended for what now? .... :confused:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    The title of this thread "the concept of god," is completely man made. That alone should be a clue that the religious God people pray to and seek salvation from doesn't exist. 

Now something I could get behind if I researched and studied it more is the idea that God is in all of us. The idea that we are nothing but energy and energy never dies. It simply transforms. Not that we have a soul, but the physical energy that we all are just transforms when we die and we just be something else. A rock, stardust, trees, lightning, another person? I don't know. It's more plausible to me than heaven and hell.
    Neil degrasse Tyson spoke about this recently. It actually, I believe, is fact that we are made up of energy and energy cannot be created nor destroyed, so in that way, we do always live on. People have asked him if he wants to be shot in a rocket to space when he dies to live among the stars, and he said no, because he doesn't want to "waste" the energy within him. 

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime”

I'm certainly not as smart as Tyson l, but I would argue that your energy isnt in your physical body. There would be energy given off as your body decomposes. But I dont think that's the energy that moves on and transforms. I believe you have a living energy all around you. That energy immediatly transforms or just goes up into space when you die. 

As far as being cremated, you are releasing energy as your body burns. The energy of the body just transforms into heat energy. So it's not being wasted. Unless you just want your body to be one with the earth. 

if it was entirely under my control i would opt for a sky burial. that way the raptors and the meat eaters and worms and such could  use me for sustinence, distribute my bones.my parts would decompose and i would be returned to the earth. the circle would be complete.  but because death has become an industry i must be cremated or buried. though in all honesty just toss me off a cliff into the ocean and let the critters do the rest. :)  
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    New here. I have no faith or god. I do not hate on those who do. I understand faith not so much god. But like the guys just said if it works for you then im pleased you found your peace. Also i would add religions can be very against eachother with makes me confused because surly they about love and acceptance. But most seem to alienate groups of people i.e gay people. I love all people probably too much for my own good. 
    religion does this because it was invented (obviously along with the various gods) by man. Man created God in his own image and because mankind is flawed it stands to reason theat religion is flawed, some would say hypocritical.  i have no religion. i was born atheist, as we all were. not many years after that i challenged the christian belief system and consequently thrown out of scripture class more than once. a child of 11, thrown out of class for seeking a 'truth'. instead of guidance i was pushed aside. as the precocious inquisitive child i was back then, being dismissed by a catholic priest didnt sit well.. so i started my own quest and guess what? i found no answers to back up the faith i was expected to just accept. it didnt take me long to discover that the search for truth in faith was futile. i just accepted i had no faith in god/s and was/am okay with that. tbh its been the surest, most stable doubtless thing in my life.  
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say