Kaepernick

Comments

• Coach Mike McCarthy emphatically shot down any possibility of the Packers signing free agent Colin Kaepernick.

"Is there any idea of bringing in Colin Kaepernick to compete for that backup job?," a reporter asked McCarthy, who fired back, rhetorically asking, "Did you just listen to any question I just answered!? I got three years invested in Brett Hundley, two years invested in Joe Callahan. The quarterback room is exactly where it needs to be." He's not interested; not that we expected the Packers to be.

Source: Rotoworld.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Hey Mike.....Hundley stinks.
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    49 years ago today.....

The Black Power Salute That Rocked the 1968 Olympics

http://time.com/3880999/black-power-salute-tommie-smith-and-john-carlos-at-the-1968-olympics/
    I remember that.  It was amazing, heavy, powerful but also very cool.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    You know instead of all this kneeling business during the anthem. Why don't you get a group of players together then go to the NFL and try to raise awareness for the oppression. The NFL has breast cancer awareness month wear they splash bright pink on the uniforms and such. Why don't they just come up with Oppression of Colored Awareness Month.  Maby September. I don't know what color scheme you would use for this or a symbol on the uniform I don't know. But then they could sell all of the oppression awareness apparel and use that money towards the cause. Leave the anthem alone and you'll be far better off because like it or lump it, most people that watch the NFL don't appreciate the kneeling and those kneeling pisses a lot of people off and they're turning it off the NFL that is... Come up with a better way to move your agenda. I would support it too I would buy whatever apparel that would come out of it. Not Pig socks though.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    RYME said:
    You know instead of all this kneeling business during the anthem. Why don't you get a group of players together then go to the NFL and try to raise awareness for the oppression. The NFL has breast cancer awareness month wear they splash bright pink on the uniforms and such. Why don't they just come up with Oppression of Colored Awareness Month.  Maby September. I don't know what color scheme you would use for this or a symbol on the uniform I don't know. But then they could sell all of the oppression awareness apparel and use that money towards the cause. Leave the anthem alone and you'll be far better off because like it or lump it, most people that watch the NFL don't appreciate the kneeling and those kneeling pisses a lot of people off and they're turning it off the NFL that is... Come up with a better way to move your agenda. I would support it too I would buy whatever apparel that would come out of it. Not Pig socks though.
    That’s cute. Breast cancer affects black people and white people. Black oppression has now been associated with Black Lives Matter, which has been effectively portrayed as a terrorist group against white people. Even without the claim of association with a terrorist group, do you honestly believe that the quintessential white male American sports league would touch that with a ten foot pole?

There has yet to be a move to redistribute disproportionate power from white people to black people in the USA not met with animosity by some or much of the population. Please excuse any black person who wishes to drive change for not taking the advice of the white population who can’t decide whether they believe in equality if it costs them their pedestal of privilege.

If you’re not cynical about race relations in the States, you’re not learning from history enough. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
    That’s cute. Breast cancer affects black people and white people. Black oppression has now been associated with Black Lives Matter, which has been effectively portrayed as a terrorist group against white people. Even without the claim of association with a terrorist group, do you honestly believe that the quintessential white male American sports league would touch that with a ten foot pole?

There has yet to be a move to redistribute disproportionate power from white people to black people in the USA not met with animosity by some or much of the population. Please excuse any black person who wishes to drive change for not taking the advice of the white population who can’t decide whether they believe in equality if it costs them their pedestal of privilege.

If you’re not cynical about race relations in the States, you’re not learning from history enough. 
    I’m intrigued, what do you mean by redistributing disproportionate power from white people?  What steps do you suggest be taken to remove the “pedestal of privilege”?
    benjs said:
    RYME said:

I was simply suggesting that Colon Kaepernick and the like, take a different approach to tackling, and raising awareness to the social Injustice issues that they want acknowledged.  
    Gee whiz.
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:

I’m intrigued, what do you mean by redistributing disproportionate power from white people?  What steps do you suggest be taken to remove the “pedestal of privilege”?
    I guess it’s based on a concept I feel a democratic government ought to strive for: equal opportunity for its citizens. If you believe this, then you have to ask what constitutes opportunity?

For me, I think of it like a plane. What creates the possibility of take-off for a plane is propulsion forces, and what inhibits that possibility is drag. If the propulsion forced exceed those of the drag, there is the capability for lift. 

Historically, the drag of a white person’s life in North America has been less than that of a black person’s (due to poorer access to education and/or jobs), and each generation to some degree inherits the drag of ancestor (think of an uneducated parent who falls ill with poor health insurance, or a family house mortgage left to the next generation). For every person the equation is the same: take the factors that encourage opportunity (access to education, jobs, health), subtract the factors that discourage it (dependents in a family, debts), and you reach your net opportunity. If white people on average have less drag and similar propulsion forces (typically, they have both less drag and more propulsion forces), then they have a greater net opportunity. This is the pedestal I'm speaking of.

From what I’ve seen, the common GOP stance is that opportunity is unencumbered by ‘drag’, and that they are thus promoting equal opportunity. I vehemently disagree.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2017
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:

I guess it’s based on a concept I feel a democratic government ought to strive for: equal opportunity for its citizens. If you believe this, then you have to ask what constitutes opportunity?

For me, I think of it like a plane. What creates the possibility of take-off for a plane is propulsion forces, and what inhibits that possibility is drag. If the propulsion forced exceed those of the drag, there is the capability for lift. 

Historically, the drag of a white person’s life in North America has been less than that of a black person’s (due to poorer access to education and/or jobs), and each generation to some degree inherits the drag of ancestor (think of an uneducated parent who falls ill with poor health insurance, or a family house mortgage left to the next generation). For every person the equation is the same: take the factors that encourage opportunity (access to education, jobs, health), subtract the factors that discourage it (dependents in a family, debts), and you reach your net opportunity. If white people on average have less drag and similar propulsion forces (typically, they have both less drag and more propulsion forces), then they have a greater net opportunity. This is the pedestal I'm speaking of.

From what I’ve seen, the common GOP stance is that opportunity is unencumbered by ‘drag’, and that they are thus promoting equal opportunity. I vehemently disagree.
    I understand your theory and agree with it to an extent, but I’m not sure my question has been answered.  What steps do you suggest taking to remove the “pedestal”?  Are you suggesting putting more “drag” on white people or just boosting the propulsion of black?  I recognize the problem as you stated with the propulsion/drag analogy, but what specific change could equalize the privileges?  Remove debt burdens from deceased relatives?  
    I’m not sure that true fairness is anything but a fairytale, but I’m all about finding ways of encouraging it.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:

I understand your theory and agree with it to an extent, but I’m not sure my question has been answered.  What steps do you suggest taking to remove the “pedestal”?  Are you suggesting putting more “drag” on white people or just boosting the propulsion of black?  I recognize the problem as you stated with the propulsion/drag analogy, but what specific change could equalize the privileges?  Remove debt burdens from deceased relatives?  
    I’m not sure that true fairness is anything but a fairytale, but I’m all about finding ways of encouraging it.

I would never propose directly putting more drag on any life, but I believe this will incidentally occur (more on that below). I believe in boosting the propulsion of the black population of America, to counteract the drag they endure (for all intents and purposes, reducing drag or increasing propulsion should yield the same result of more equal opportunity). 

I don't know the steps, but I believe that conversations need to happen to formulate a plan to meet this holy grail of equal (hell, equal-ish would be an improvement) opportunity. As you mention, the removal of debt burdens from deceased relatives could be a good one, yes! 

As for my comment about incidentally producing drag, the unfortunate reality is that power is measured in dollars, and there's a finite amount of dollars earned within the country. If more is earned amongst America's black population, unless trade creates a surge of dollars flowing in, that finite amount of money earned will likely yield a lower-than-expected economic growth amongst the white population. Quite literally, to spend on opportunity for black persons seems likely to create an opportunity cost for white persons.

EV
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • I'm posting this here because it's significant... and cool. There is no hidden agenda to me doing so (I'm not knocking Kap or others in any way).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chris-long-announces-he-will-donate-every-game-check-this-season-to-charity/

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:

I would never propose directly putting more drag on any life, but I believe this will incidentally occur (more on that below). I believe in boosting the propulsion of the black population of America, to counteract the drag they endure (for all intents and purposes, reducing drag or increasing propulsion should yield the same result of more equal opportunity). 

I don't know the steps, but I believe that conversations need to happen to formulate a plan to meet this holy grail of equal (hell, equal-ish would be an improvement) opportunity. As you mention, the removal of debt burdens from deceased relatives could be a good one, yes! 

As for my comment about incidentally producing drag, the unfortunate reality is that power is measured in dollars, and there's a finite amount of dollars earned within the country. If more is earned amongst America's black population, unless trade creates a surge of dollars flowing in, that finite amount of money earned will likely yield a lower-than-expected economic growth amongst the white population. Quite literally, to spend on opportunity for black persons seems likely to create an opportunity cost for white persons.
    when you have asshats like that Bobby Heenan lookalike every Sunday on NFL broadcasts saying "no oppression in 100 years", we can't even get a consensus that there IS a problem in America, never mind coming up with a solution, and even less so of implementing it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    I totally get that there is an oppression problem.
    Pissing on the flag, and kneeling for the anthem is not going to advance the cause.
    The discussion has been all about whether or not there should be kneeling or not.  Nobody's talking about how to deal with the oppression problem.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    RYME said:
    Pissing on the flag, and kneeling for the anthem is not going to advance the cause.
    The discussion has been all about whether or not there should be kneeling or not.  Nobody's talking about how to deal with the oppression problem.
    Neither have the athletes. They are doing it to raise awareness. That is being accomplished except by those who refuse to accept there is a race issue in the country.
    RYME said:
    pissing on the flag? oh, how you do go on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2017
    I’ll do whatever the fuck I want with the flag. 

Piss on it, fly it above the front porch, diaper the kid, decorate the office, use it as a tablecloth, keep it folded as a remembrance of a family member or friend KIA, mop up the wet spot, pledge my grievance. 

Whatever that fuck I want.

“As long as I am free!”

I SAW PEARL JAM
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    Having rules about how someone treats a flag is pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard of. I can't believe so many people support that bullshit. It's so ridiculous. It makes me want to poop on and burn flags just out of spite.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    RYME said:
    Most dissent from oppressed persons comes in the form of aggression or mockery aimed at oppressors. Kneeling while the National Anthem plays - a tradition paid for at the NFL by the military originally to increase recruitment for a war not wanted, needed, or justified - is hardly an offensive way to draw attention. 

Yet, as always, one side of the political spectrum sheds crocodile tears at the others' behaviour, rather than looking inwards and backwards to understand the rationale, justification, or emotionality contained. 

EV
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RYME said:
    Kneeling in protest to oppression is a right protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.  There shouldn't even be a discussion of whether or not there should be kneeling.
    The only person pissing on the flag is Trump.  The flag stands for every American citizen.  Not just the military, and sure as hell not just republicans.  It is a symbol (<-- that's an important word here) of the freedoms we are ALL afforded and that we are ALL able to exercise, whether in support or protest, to continue to improve the nation and the welfare of ALL of its citizens.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Having rules about how someone treats a flag is pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard of. I can't believe so many people support that bullshit. It's so ridiculous. It makes me want to poop on and burn flags just out of spite.
    especially when those same idiots wear American flag crotch rockets. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

“I leave symbols to the symbol-minded.”

—George Carlin
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2017
    Protesting is as American as apple pie.  The NFL made the correct decision today stating that the players do not have to stand during the anthem.  I do not believe that anyone should be forced to stand.
    Yes you do have the right to do whatever the hell you want to the flag. You can do whatever you want during the national anthem.  You can sit on your ass, that is your right. 
    There are an awful lot of men and women who have fought for our rights to do these things.  Like this guy.
    https://youtu.be/JHWBxazG6pA
    Not everyone despises the United States, including  Usain Bolt.
    https://youtu.be/2lZguykClGg
    Who showed a little respect, pausing during his gold metal interview so he could respect the United States.
    But right now,  I don't think that they are protesting police brutality right now, or oppression of colord people which was what Colin Kaepernick was originally kneeling for.  The last several weeks was because Donald Trump opened his big mouth and said things that the players didn't like.  I didn't like it either.
    Charles Barkley said it this way.  I agree with most, but not all of what Barkley said.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/355980-charles-barkley-few-nfl-players-were-protesting-until-trump-opened
    Post edited by RYME on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How many decades did Kerry Collins find himself on the field with stats and skills below Kaepernick's?
    Lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    RYME said:
    Protesting is as American as apple pie.  The NFL made the correct decision today stating that the players do not have to stand during the anthem.  I do not believe that anyone should be forced to stand.
    Yes you do have the right to do whatever the hell you want to the flag. You can do whatever you want during the national anthem.  You can sit on your ass, that is your right. 
    There are an awful lot of men and women who have fought for our rights to do these things.  Like this guy.
    Who showed a little respect, pausing during his gold metal interview so he could respect the United States.
    But right now,  I don't think that they are protesting police brutality right now, or oppression of colord people which was what Colin Kaepernick was originally kneeling for.  The last several weeks was because Donald Trump opened his big mouth and said things that the players didn't like.  I didn't like it either.
    Charles Barkley said it this way.  I agree with most, but not all of what Barkley said.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/355980-charles-barkley-few-nfl-players-were-protesting-until-trump-opened
    If Donald Trump tried too hard to suppress protesters, and kneeling pivoted from supporting the plight of the oppressed to the protection of protest as a form of legal thought/speech, the topic remains relevant and significant, and thus so does the form of protest.

And speaking of respect which you seem to value, it’s been seen as disrespectful to call black/African-American people ‘colored’ for at least my 27 years alive.

As George Carlin says, respect should be earned, not given. Not to mention one can disrespect the decisions of American leadership and respect people who have exhibited blind allegiance to the country and its decision makers (even if their intent is to send them to their deaths in sometimes unnecessary war).

EV
    edited October 2017
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
    If Donald Trump tried too hard to suppress protesters, and kneeling pivoted from supporting the plight of the oppressed to the protection of protest as a form of legal thought/speech, the topic remains relevant and significant, and thus so does the form of protest.

And speaking of respect which you seem to value, it’s been seen as disrespectful to call black/African-American people ‘colored’ for at least my 27 years alive.

As George Carlin says, respect should be earned, not given. Not to mention one can disrespect the decisions of American leadership and respect people who have exhibited blind allegiance to the country and its decision makers (even if their intent is to send them to their deaths in sometimes unnecessary war).
    No disrespect to any race. I embrace all the races.. I was using Colin Kaepernick's own words when I said oppression of people of color.  And since Kaepernick said it that way I thought it was okay in describing what his original protest was for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Kaepernick
    Post edited by RYME on
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    NFL teams are businesses. Any smart business owner wouldn’t hire someone like Kaepernick. Too much liability. The main goal of s business is to make as much money as possible, and he threatens that. Easy to see and not surprising. 
  • Is it okay to disregard a request for a moment's silence?

For example, if the US' next mass shooting produces multiple police officers killed in the process of dealing with the situation... and in the city where the mass murder occurs (with legally acquired weapons and ammunition of course)... the PA announcer asks that people rise and pay a moment's silence for the fallen officers... would it be okay to disregard such a request?  
    Is it okay to disregard a request for a moment's silence?

For example, if the US' next mass shooting produces multiple police officers killed in the process of dealing with the situation... and in the city where the mass murder occurs (with legally acquired weapons and ammunition of course)... the PA announcer asks that people rise and pay a moment's silence for the fallen officers... would it be okay to disregard such a request?  
    I don't think they are the same. that moment of silence is about something very specific, one tragic event. the anthem is not just about soldiers, or one war, or one event. it's a multitude of things. 

I for one, would disagree with someone not standing for your scenario above. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD