The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Women get hangry.
    Smart men work against the dark forces of hanger in the world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    rgambs said:

Pink Brandywine tomato, yes, just one.
    Cocozelle zucchini
    Hot bananas (long hots to some)
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Simmered until thickened and put over angel hair pasta with asiago smothered breaded chicken.

Now what would you call that?
    Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    There's only one tomato in that whole pot? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Simmered until thickened and put over angel hair pasta with asiago smothered breaded chicken.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    Yeah, I should have taken a picture of it, it was about the size and shape of 2 fists attached at the knuckles.
    It was a good mater.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    Yeah, I should have taken a picture of it, it was about the size and shape of 2 fists attached at the knuckles.
    It was a good mater.
    Damn...though I guess I can't tell how deep the pot is. That's impressive though. 

Reminds me I need to make Grammy's Sunday Gravy sometime soon! Not sure she would like me posting the recipe here though
    chinese-happy.jpg
    It's just a skillet.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    It was a good mater.
    You said "mater".  I love that.  My boy from weesiana used to say that, lol.

Maters and taters!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Homegrown maters, homegrown maters.
    What would life be without homegrown maters?
    Only two things that money can't buy:
    And that's true love and homegrown maters.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    hedonist said:
    Isn't penne smooth and rigatoni ridged, so the sauce-adhering factor is different?

And curious, as the majority of posters in this thread are men thus far.  Not to diss my gender, but is cooking like this more of a guy thing?  Regardless, I am impressed.

First man I fell in love with home-cooked us an exquisite but not frou-frou meal on our first date.  Even shopped for the ingredients together.  Granted, it wasn't his only quality I dug, but it was definitely one of them.

He also deep-fried a turkey just for the hell of it.  Was DELICIOUS!
    Well, I'm a single guy so it's either me or a restaurant.  Although I don't consider myself to be a good cook by any means whatsoever.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Cocozelle zucchini
    Onion
    Garlic
    Olive oil.

Is it a Bolognese?
    Bruschetta?
    Ratatouille?
    It was a good mater.
    Damn...though I guess I can't tell how deep the pot is. That's impressive though. 

Reminds me I need to make Grammy's Sunday Gravy sometime soon! Not sure she would like me posting the recipe here though
    I unfroze some of my old man's sauce yesterday (well sauce that I made from his recipe given he's passed) and had it last night in some new pasta bowls we got made in Italy.  More of a ragu than a typical gravy but so good.  
    My Brandywine heirlooms that take soooo long to ripen but are soooo worth it. 
    FYI I have a decent sized mitt. 
    My Brandywine heirlooms that take soooo long to ripen but are soooo worth it. 
    FYI I have a decent sized mitt. 
    That reminds me of an old Cheech & Chong bit. 

https://youtu.be/fp7rj2vR6q8

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    tempo has man-hands!

(I trust you are male =) )

Those are beautiful.  Are they used similarly to the red or yellow kind?  Fried?

I've so much to learn.
    hedonist said:
    tempo has man-hands!

(I trust you are male =) )

Those are beautiful.  Are they used similarly to the red or yellow kind?  Fried?

I've so much to learn.
    I am a man, lol.

This particular tomato gets bigger and redder and tastes like you put salt on it.  Absolutely delicious.  I'm wondering if I can use it in a sauce?

I've used it in Pico and salsa and it was wonderful.
    Looking for a good sauce recipe.

Please post some as I've got a whole bunch of maters ripening that I'll need to do something with.

Thanks!

Christopher
    Yeah I don't have a good sauce recipe either.
    I wouldn't hesitate to put a Brandy in a sauce.  They aren't super meaty, but they aren't super sloppy either.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    if you have fresh basil and good fresh tomatoes, this sauce is the shit and emphasizes the tomatoes.

Stolen from Mark Bittman, as about half of my go-to recipes are.  Love how easy/good they are.
    Making myself tonight with shrimp being added....finishing some fresh pasta in it as a request from my sister, who is visiting.

Put chopped tomatoes (roughly 2 cups is what he calls for, I eyeball it at 3-4 tomatoes) in a bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Hack up a few cloves of garlic (keep pieces large) and add.  mix the shit all up, breaking down some of the tomatoes, but leave some chunks. 

Let it sit for a while.

While your pasta is cooking, take a scoop of water from the pasta and add to the mixture in the bowl.  After a few minutes take the garlic chunks out. 

Finish your pasta with the mixture, cooking the last minute.  Add a good amount of fresh basil and toss.

Enjoy with some wine, your favorite bread

My local italian shop where I get my fresh pasta makes killer gravy so if I want a pureed sauce, I just buy theirs.  For a rough topping (especially when mixing in shrimp) I go with the recipe above.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Only cook book a person needs (although I have many others) and 95% of the time where I go for knowledge.  Whether you are trying new stuff all of the time or are looking to refine what you are already doing, I cannot recommend this book enough.

edited August 2017
    Only cook book a person needs (although I have many others) and 95% of the time where I go for knowledge.  Whether you are trying new stuff all of the time or are looking to refine what you are already doing, I cannot recommend this book enough.

I prefer the menu drawer. Less messy.

Forced to cook now in the culinary wasteland that I now inhabit. 

A lot of ramen noddles, eggs, cereal, sandwiches.

Fuck recipes. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

I prefer the menu drawer. Less messy.

Forced to cook now in the culinary wasteland that I now inhabit. 

A lot of ramen noddles, eggs, cereal, sandwiches.

Fuck recipes.
    He makes a lot of them very simple as far as ingredients and steps. 
    I know you carry a big BBQ stick -- you could just stick with that.
    edited August 2017
    I just throw a bunch of ingredients (think a chadwick-like list) into a pot or skillet, spice, and eat.

And yeah, I grill a lot in the summer, but I consider that more recreation; cooking is work.

I just worked all day. Why the hell do I want to come home and do more work? Next thing you know, I'll have to do those dishes.

Fuck that noise.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :lol:
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    The summer Tuna run is late this year off the coast of Ireland. My local fishmonger keeps telling me any day now. I can't wait. Not many Japanese restaurants in Ireland which is great for me. My fish guy sells me huge chunks of tuna belly for around €20 (roughly $23). Nobody eats the stuff in the west of Ireland. I'd say each piece would go for $150-200 in most parts of the world. I'll post pics after my first Tuna sashimi night of the season.
    eddiec said:
    The summer Tuna run is late this year off the coast of Ireland. My local fishmonger keeps telling me any day now. I can't wait. Not many Japanese restaurants in Ireland which is great for me. My fish guy sells me huge chunks of tuna belly for around €20 (roughly $23). Nobody eats the stuff in the west of Ireland. I'd say each piece would go for $150-200 in most parts of the world. I'll post pics after my first Tuna sashimi night of the season.
    Hot damn!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    I just throw a bunch of ingredients (think a chadwick-like list) into a pot or skillet, spice, and eat.

And yeah, I grill a lot in the summer, but I consider that more recreation; cooking is work.

I just worked all day. Why the hell do I want to come home and do more work? Next thing you know, I'll have to do those dishes.

Fuck that noise.
    And this, my friend, is why ordering in is dear to me =)

eddiec, yum!  I'm a sucker for tuna, whether sashimi'd or seared.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Anybody got a good quick dry rub recipe for London broil?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Montreal Steak seasoning or

White pepper
    garlic powder
    lemon pepper
    onion powder
    sesame seeds

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2017
    dankind said:

Fuck that noise.

got beef stew in the crock & that is exactly how i did it. but as some of you know, i'm a forgetful little dickhead. i don't have carrots, but i do have a packet of beef stew spices though, but forgot to add the stuff only after adding garlic sriracha powder. i figure i'll leave the beef stew seasoning out this go round. also, i meant to flour the stew beef & pan fry it a bit but don't have flour, still pan fried the meat a bit   

celery pieces

beef stew meat

frozen brussel sprouts

(skinned) potato chunks

guess we'll see how this works out.

dankind, that is how i make eggs. it's a flippin mess trying to be omelets

sauteed mushrooms & onions (garlic if you like)

if not diced up garlic bulbs, garlic powder & or garlic sriracha powder (weber brand has some nice spices)

maybe some potato wedges in olive oil... maybe not

ham

grind together in a blender & present

my absolute favorite kitchen to cook in is the outdoors whilst camping. im up only a few hours after crashing out

when i hear the morning songbirds, woodpeckers & can start to see a bit of daylight parading through the tent, bam, i'm up. i'm alone to the quiet woods, well, except for the birds goin to town. it is beautiful & can make one emotional.

gotta stoke the fire

heat up the water for coffee

drink a beer or three

do a few shots

(sit awhile & absorb all of it, feed the squirrels & chipmunks shell on peanuts)

bacon or ham cast iron skillet style

eggs... you know the ingredients

i think i make a decent pot of chili

Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mcgruff10 said:
    Montreal Steak seasoning or

White pepper
    garlic powder
    lemon pepper
    onion powder
    sesame seeds

pinch of salt, forgot.
    eddiec said:
    :rock_on:
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    eddiec said:

fresh tuna on the fire

lemon

it's perfect

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce