Options

Michael Moore proving once again...

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Nope BS, it was you "freedom sheep" remember?
  • Options
    I'll stick with the perfect circle sheep song. I couldn't get through 2 mins of that cake song.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Now now BadBrains let's not get into a tiff but TalonTedd used "freedom sheep" and I quoted it.

Sheep also go to heaven. Cake said so.
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    edited January 2015
    BS44325 wrote: »
    Thank you for your service as a reservist but not all the volunteers I know had the same experience or feel the same as you. I also don't think you owe Harper an ounce of respect...that is your perogative...but I absolutely think you owe your brother's and sister's in uniform some. You underwent some training while many of them lost their lives. That should mean something to you. To refer to them as "psycopathic wanna be murderers" or "cowards" or "incarceraters" or "beaters" or "humiliaters or "terrorists" is so beyond disgusting that I think even Michael Moore would disagree with you. What's even worse though is that you have become such a nihilist. I mean why give a fuck about anything? Most Canadians I know are good people and believe that regardless of the past we still have the ability to make good today. If you would rather watch the world burn so be it but the Canada I know will never sit on the sidelines. Call me a "freedom sheep" if you want but my only response to that will be BAAA[/quote

I can dig that. but you have a few assumptions wrong, particularly about me. First off, I really don't want to be thanked for that mistake of joining. That is just another way of saying thanks for propping up the evil cowards in our government whose only real motivation for anything is to become wealthy. In my opinion. For the last twenty years I have been doing everything I can to talk young fellow out of joining. Yes I was only trained. I never went to Somalia nor anywhere else and for that I am very grateful. Had I become one of those unfortunate volunteers and lost any part of me or my life being used as a tool and a pawn for the domination of the world, (and I ain't talking the Nazi war machine type. Our guys do it with the IMF and CIA and other assorted cowardly corporations that "sign checks that others pay" Then I would call myself a SUCKER! Maybe watch the Oliver stone film Born on the forth of July and you 'll get the drift.

As for what you say I am calling the volunteers. Well thats my experience. I knew one of the guys that was under Claytons command in Somalia and he was a racist Nazi....to his very core, couldn't stand the twit. Most, not all, but most guys I knew (and this would be hundreds) wanted to KILL someone. Makes sense right. The military most basic function, is to kill. You find it somewhat hard to fathom that this basic function might attract people with a desire to do that very thing. I know I wanted to kill Serbs. Dropping mortar shells into open air markets and playgrounds, slaughtering all those innocent Muslims. ! WOULD HAVE KILLED THEM. I now believe my feelings were misguided.
    I don't owe them anything other than to expose their misguided ideals and call them out for most, not all, but most of their true desires.

as for being a nihilist. Thanks for the badge of honor. Have you been pickin' daisies out in a far off field somewhere in another dimension. Or are you a republican. We are the children of Armageddon (Man made). Believe me when I say this, I bathe my kids every day. I play with them and love them unconditionally, never once nor will i ever once strike them. That would be my greatest sin, and they give that love right back. Because there is no greater hope I have than their future.

Canada is the greatest country in the world to live and be "free" and thats not just my feelings.

As for calling you a freedom sheep. With all due respect, I did. And you called my comments stupid, which INDIRECTLY is calling me stupid. At least I had the stones to be direct.

But all that said, I really enjoyed this debate. gave an otherwise uneventful day some pizazz.

My respect for your freedom to disagree with me stands and my friendship does as well. But I ain't ever going to be remorseful or backtrack from each and every word.

See ya at the next tour.

Post edited by TalonTedd on
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,227
    Brian, you do not feel we were fighting for our freedoms when we went into Afghanistan?

no we were not "fighting for our freedoms" in afghanistan.

contrary to what the neocons will tell you, our freedoms were never, ever under attack.

to be quite honest, we gave away our freedoms when we allowed congress to pass and reimplement the patriot act.

no foreign invader can take my freedom. or yours for that matter. but my own government can.

and them hating us for our freedom was not the reason we were attacked on 9/11.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I stand corrected by BS, but I still prefer the APC version.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    R
    hedonist wrote: »
    hedonist wrote: »
    Damn. Thread's getting just a bit fucked and ugly. Hope the personal shit can be left aside.

When questions get asked that may seem to shine a light it often ends.
    Questions can be asked, and answered, with decency.

Unlike a poster in this thread that drops verbose questions that seemingly thinks won't get a response because we are thick. It is not decent to ask questions with an ace of spades in your pocket (read someone that always sides with). People want to talk to each other not spinoffs or coattails of others. If someone wants to ask incendiary questions they better put up with the expectant results.

Real nice of you thanks a bunch. i make it a calling card of sorts to dedicate songs to members. Sort of an example as to the reason we are here. In our own way and in similarity we all love what the band has done and says. You are the first to dedicate one back to me. And I'll always remember it. :D

Edit- this wasn't the quote I choose. Thanks for the Soldier of love dedication BS.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2015
    TalonTedd,
    I did call your comments stupid. However since you confessed they were "slander" I now understand that they were not "stupid" just simply dishonest. With respect to your service I will thank you whether you like it or not. For whatever reason you made a choice to serve that I did not make. While you may not look back at that time fondly I know that if the shit hit the fan and we were under threat you would have done your duty regardless. That is selfless. Don't be ashamed and don't discount it. I also agree that our problems are man made. But so what? Does that prevent us from further action? Is man made course correction not possible? I have kids as well and I refuse to accept that this world we live in can only move in the direction of unspeakable tragedy. Canada is certainly a great country and you are free to believe what you want but for the sake of my children I'm not going to give up on this world so fast.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    BS44325 wrote: »
    TalonTedd,
    I did call your comments stupid. However since you confessed they were "slander" I now understand that they were not "stupid" just simply dishonest. With respect to your service I will thank you whether you like it or not. For whatever reason you made a choice to serve that I did not make. While you may not look back at that time fondly I know that if the shit hit the fan and we were under threat you would have done your duty regardless. That is selfless. Don't be ashamed and don't discount it. I also agree that our problems are man made. But so what? Does that prevent us from further action? Is man made course correction not possible? I have kids as well and I refuse to accept that this world we live in can only move in the direction of unspeakable tragedy. Canada is certainly a great country and you are free to believe what you want but for the sake of my children I'm not going to give up on this world so fast.

Very well said. I do believe you know me better than i gave you credit for. Spoken like a Canadian, diplomatic and candid. Aren't children the greatest blessing a person could be so lucky enough as to be responsible too.

dishonest, no. more like disappointed.

good night.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The quoting thing is a bit off again, so to roundaboutedly-revisit the APC/Maynard thing, I'll defer to Puscifer's Momma Sed. Gorgeous ribbons of truth and voice and wisdom, from these eyes.

Even if someone is (mistakenly taken as) an asshole, no need to respond in kind.

Take the high road.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    brianlux wrote: »
    Here's the quote again:

I'd say that I spent 21 and a half years in the military, and that there's many men and women serving right now serving on the tip of the spear to allow him [Moore] to say that.

In saying that, Couglan is basically say our troops are fighting for our freedom. This is simply not true. I haven't read Couglan's book so, no, I'm not arguing about his perspective. I'm arguing against the notion that post-WWII we have fought various wars as a way to protect our freedom. I am arguing that that post-WWII we have not once fought to protect our freedom. We may have fought for other reasons (justifiable or not), but our freedom has never been in jeopardy from the outside.

This is the way I take it. That soldiers defend what they do by taking the propaganda talk of our gov't as a way to justify being on other lands and simply, defending their stance that what they do (kill) is justified and that "...we're fighting for you, man, we're fighting for you!"

That mentality. Like we owe them something because they voluntarily join the military.

That's how I see it too, bsL.

And worse, not all these young guys really know what they are getting into until it is too late and they come back with missing body parts and permanently screwed psyches.

All these young guys? Getting into what Brian? I must say though it would be nice to own a used book store without a care in the world other than having to deal with rude customers.

Oh for God's sake, PJFan, Christ, what a stupid fucking thing to say. What the fuck do you know about me that way? Fuck off man.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Here's the quote again:

I'd say that I spent 21 and a half years in the military, and that there's many men and women serving right now serving on the tip of the spear to allow him [Moore] to say that.

In saying that, Couglan is basically say our troops are fighting for our freedom. This is simply not true. I haven't read Couglan's book so, no, I'm not arguing about his perspective. I'm arguing against the notion that post-WWII we have fought various wars as a way to protect our freedom. I am arguing that that post-WWII we have not once fought to protect our freedom. We may have fought for other reasons (justifiable or not), but our freedom has never been in jeopardy from the outside.

This is the way I take it. That soldiers defend what they do by taking the propaganda talk of our gov't as a way to justify being on other lands and simply, defending their stance that what they do (kill) is justified and that "...we're fighting for you, man, we're fighting for you!"

That mentality. Like we owe them something because they voluntarily join the military.

And worse, not all these young guys really know what they are getting into until it is too late and they come back with missing body parts and permanently screwed psyches.

All these young guys? Getting into what Brian? I must say though it would be nice to own a used book store without a care in the world other than having to deal with rude customers.

Oh for God's sake, PJFan, Christ, what a stupid fucking thing to say. What the fuck do you know about me that way? Fuck off man.

So is this the angry Blux or the riddled lux speaking?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    Here's the quote again:

Read my PM. You and I need to put each other on "ignore" before we both get permabanned. I'm done here.

Sorry, everyone else. Carry on.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Here's the quote again:

Read my PM. You and I need to put each other on "ignore" before we both get permabanned. I'm done here.

Sorry, everyone else. Carry on.

What I am trying to say is that we should not ignore global warming and that as a sustainment to our belief we should limit population growth, recycle and whatever.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    A mature and thought provoking contribution to the discussion, as always
    =D>
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2015
    ^^^^^Me?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    For the record Canada would mop up the Cubans.Those dudes can't skate.The are selfish with the puck,back check for shit,and don't understand dump and chase.also the goalies sweater smells like strong coffee and cigar smoke...............................
  • Options
    No, not you Pjfan, that was meant for the other guy with the idiotic sarcasm and personal jabs.
  • Options
    rgambs wrote: »
    No, not you Pjfan, that was meant for the other guy with the idiotic sarcasm and personal jabs.

Oh, ok. It's hard to tell because you never quote anybody you just put out statements and everyone is left to ask what you mean. Annoying at times (not your fault though). Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    #:-S
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    http://m.truthdig.com/report/item/killing_ragheads_for_jesus_20150125
    Chris Hedges' take on the film/book. He doesn't mince words.

""American Sniper” lionizes the most despicable aspects of U.S. society—the gun culture, the blind adoration of the military, the belief that we have an innate right as a “Christian” nation to exterminate the “lesser breeds” of the earth, a grotesque hypermasculinity that banishes compassion and pity, a denial of inconvenient facts and historical truth, and a belittling of critical thinking and artistic expression. Many Americans, especially white Americans trapped in a stagnant economy and a dysfunctional political system, yearn for the supposed moral renewal and rigid, militarized control the movie venerates. These passions, if realized, will extinguish what is left of our now-anemic open society."

""The movie never asks the seminal question as to why the people of Iraq are fighting back against us in the very first place,” said Mikey Weinstein, whom I reached by phone in New Mexico. Weinstein, who worked in the Reagan White House and is a former Air Force officer, is the head of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, which challenges the growing Christian fundamentalism within the U.S. military. “It made me physically ill with its twisted, totally one-sided distortions of wartime combat ethics and justice woven into the fabric of Chris Kyle’s personal and primal justification mantra of ‘God-Country-Family.’ It is nothing less than an odious homage, indeed a literal horrific hagiography to wholesale slaughter.”"

My favorite part: "The culture of war banishes the capacity for pity. It glorifies self-sacrifice and death. It sees pain, ritual humiliation and violence as part of an initiation into manhood. Brutal hazing, as Kyle noted in his book, was an integral part of becoming a Navy SEAL. New SEALs would be held down and choked by senior members of the platoon until they passed out. The culture of war idealizes only the warrior. It belittles those who do not exhibit the warrior’s “manly” virtues. It places a premium on obedience and loyalty. It punishes those who engage in independent thought and demands total conformity. It elevates cruelty and killing to a virtue. This culture, once it infects wider society, destroys all that makes the heights of human civilization and democracy possible. The capacity for empathy, the cultivation of wisdom and understanding, the tolerance and respect for difference and even love are ruthlessly crushed. The innate barbarity that war and violence breed is justified by a saccharine sentimentality about the nation, the flag and a perverted Christianity that blesses its armed crusaders."
  • Options
    RGambs, you talking about me as the idiot that takes personal jabs? I'm confused to. Don't want to be a confused idiot as well. I just woke up so I mite be reading these posts wrong.
  • Options
    Hahaha no, sorry, I WAS talking about PJfan, I was just trying to be crytic and sarcastic as he/she has been of late...apparently I succeeded...or failed.. Not sure lol
  • Options
    All good RGambs, just didn't want to be the idiot u we're talking about hahaha, was gonna say u hurt my feelings but all good now.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Brian, you do not feel we were fighting for our freedoms when we went into Afghanistan?

no we were not "fighting for our freedoms" in afghanistan.

contrary to what the neocons will tell you, our freedoms were never, ever under attack.

to be quite honest, we gave away our freedoms when we allowed congress to pass and reimplement the patriot act.

no foreign invader can take my freedom. or yours for that matter. but my own government can.

and them hating us for our freedom was not the reason we were attacked on 9/11.

That is the sad truth Gimme...our "freedoms" are under attack from the people and the government of our own country every day much more so than any islamic fundamentalist group could ever do...The moral majority, the pc police...People need a foreign enemy and unfortunately they fail to see that the real war on our freedoms is being fought by two parties. Democrats and Republicans in the federal government don't give a shit about your freedoms, they only care about their own freedom to do whatever it is they want and fuck the rest...both parties should be renamed to one big party...the pick and choose party
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    BB you bring the heat and I like it, gotta have friction to start a fire lol. I don't think anybody that posts here is an idiot! We are a smart batch of cookies, and we may disagree...alot sometimes...but we engage in something beyond reality TV and top 40 so I automatically prefer a 10clubber to most people lol
  • Options
    I like that post RGambs, I agree, place has some smart people in here to go with the "idiots", kind of balances it's self out.
  • Options
    Assholes aplenty *this guy* but no idiotas :))
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Assholes a plenty. That funny.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,153
    Freedom of thought, speech and expression indeed.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.