Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    edited August 2014

Though I love to pile on Rube, not a bad silver lining to get in return for a 1-year pitcher so far, along with another to come:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=valent000jes&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.mlbtraderumors.com

That's weird.
    I don't understand it either.
    Not like he is a rule 5 guy they don't want to protect either. 15th best LA prospect for a shitty pitcher. Not bad.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/08/19/crews-respond-to-partial-building-collapse-in-queen-village/

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I am going to cry

Edit: doesn't really look it but the structure is fine. Phew
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,468
    edited August 2014
    "We envision this as the center of our city, the center of our neighborhoods,"

---it is directly next to city hall. there is nothing to envision. it is the center of the city. this quote speaks to all that has been wrong with philadelphia during my lifetime.

however i'm glad this eyesore is finally being redone. can't wait to see the finished product.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/20140820_Coming_soon_to_Philly_s_Dilworth_Plaza__New_look__new_name.html#7mSircjizV7bHzR5.99
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

---it is directly next to city hall. there is nothing to envision. it is the center of the city. this quote speaks to all that has been wrong with philadelphia during my lifetime.

however i'm glad this eyesore is finally being redone. can't wait to see the finished product.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/20140820_Coming_soon_to_Philly_s_Dilworth_Plaza__New_look__new_name.html#7mSircjizV7bHzR5.99

Yeah, the mockups look great. Looks like they still have a bunch to do, though probably mostly cleanup and all. Will be cool though. Like they are doing a nice cafe, think I heard Garces is running it.

The city has been doing a phenomenal job with their outdoor space these past few years, from Race St Pier, to the beer gardens, spruce st harbor park, even Made in America. Washington Ave Pier just opened up and it is pretty awesome

http://washingtonavenuegreen.com/
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/08/19/crews-respond-to-partial-building-collapse-in-queen-village/

It's a relief this update, Cliff.
  • Options

Yeah, the mockups look great. Looks like they still have a bunch to do, though probably mostly cleanup and all. Will be cool though. Like they are doing a nice cafe, think I heard Garces is running it.

The city has been doing a phenomenal job with their outdoor space these past few years, from Race St Pier, to the beer gardens, spruce st harbor park, even Made in America. Washington Ave Pier just opened up and it is pretty awesome

Fuckin' A. Only took forever for them to start to make some changes. But I'm sure some stupid fucking city council or unions will eventually fuck everything up. That's usually how this goes. It's all fun and games till someone's bitching that their hand isn't in the cookie jar.
  • Options

Fuckin' A. Only took forever for them to start to make some changes. But I'm sure some stupid fucking city council or unions will eventually fuck everything up. That's usually how this goes. It's all fun and games till someone's bitching that their hand isn't in the cookie jar.
    Yeeeeeah, especially with elections coming up.
  • Options

'tis. The building looks really bad but they said it looks worse than it actually is. Hopefully they aren't closed too long.
  • Options

'tis. The building looks really bad but they said it looks worse than it actually is. Hopefully they aren't closed too long.
    That would suck - that would make two sweet places (Pete's & Hawthorne's) that are indefinitely closed.
  • Options

That would suck - that would make two sweet places (Pete's & Hawthorne's) that are indefinitely closed.
    Yeah, man. Any word on Hawthorne's? That is a good spot.
  • Options

Yeah, man. Any word on Hawthorne's? That is a good spot.
    Love that place.

Last I heard was I think that IPA Fest they have was to going to help rebuild the place with the funds. I honestly don't think they're rushing it because they keep pushing their "sister location", The Cambridge - which I am not that much a fan of.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited August 2014
    Ryan howard shows up and and taney loses. Not a coincidence. Dude needs to get in a spaceship w amaro and montgomery and go away
  • Options

The Fixer said:

I'd go PNC over Camden, and I think I gotta go CBP over Camden - and that's not entirely bias either.

Seattle was pretty badass, too, but definitely gotta get to San Fran.

I think the atmosphere around the stadium counts, which makes oriole park better than the solar panel farm surrounding cbp.

remember our miller park visit? that's definitely the oddest mlb park I have been to
    There's nothing more overrated than K Lot. It's the Sea Isle, OD, No-Shower-Happy-Hour, flipped collared golf shirts with boat shoes, douchiest place. Though, Bar Mall is making a considerable run.

I like our setup because it's easy to get there and out without a problem, yet people act like it's soooo far from the city center. 15 minute subway ride, boom, you're there.

I know if they built the ballpark in Chinatown, or somewhere else downtown - after futher review - it would have been absolutely awful. Because people in this area, outside of the city proper, feel the need to drive to EVERYTHING. Hence, it would've been a shit show at least 81 days out of the year.

Dude next to me at work, who lives in Jersey, told me how his neighbor planned on tailgating at the Eagles practice at Franklin Field. People like this should be shot.

It seems like they have the option to open the windows and roof there in Milwaukee, but instead they keep them close and it smells like fat cheese curd sweat in there. Alls I know is beer, and green (hehe), is very very very cheap in Wisco, which I very much appreciated.

And the tailgates were bizarre - just leaving all their shit in the parking lot. Very odd.
    The comment about tailgating for an eagles practice sums up eagle fans perfectly.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    The Fixer said:

Ryan howard shows up and and taney loses. Not a coincidence. Dude needs to get in a spaceship w amaro and montgomery and go away

they lost because that Vegas team is an offensive juggernaut. they were averaging over 10 runs a game. was a cool story though and have to say those kids handled themselves pretty damn well for all the attention.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

they lost because that Vegas team is an offensive juggernaut. they were averaging over 10 runs a game. was a cool story though and have to say those kids handled themselves pretty damn well for all the attention.
    i really don't understand the people getting so bent out of shape over these 12 and 13 year old kids not winning it all. it was a hell of a ride..........AND---especially last night with that all black chicago team, gotta figure it's good for baseball to see these inner city teams doing so well. baseball has lost so many of those athletes to football and basketball (and lacrosse and soccer etc etc) over the years. hopefully this exposure leads to more kids picking a bat and glove in the future.

MO 'NE!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    of course the phillies didn't sign castillo. shit ton of money--but fuck it. getting into the foreign market is the quickest way for them to improve.

so i guess if hamels gets traded, the red sox are the most likely destination, eh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

of course the phillies didn't sign castillo. shit ton of money--but fuck it. getting into the foreign market is the quickest way for them to improve.

so i guess if hamels gets traded, the red sox are the most likely destination, eh?

Gotta figure of you can get betts that's a pretty solid pickup. They have a really crowded outfield. I actually wouldn't hate it from a Yankees perspective either. Hamels is good and all but I am all about Boston losing their top prospects.
  • Options
    Just watched "let the fire burn". Holy hell. My conclusion is that every single person was wrong except for the one good cop, who basically got hated on.
  • Options

Just watched "let the fire burn". Holy hell. My conclusion is that every single person was wrong except for the one good cop, who basically got hated on.

This is on Netflix now right? I'm gonna have to check this out.
  • Options

This is on Netflix now right? I'm gonna have to check this out.
    Yeah, on Netflix. Really good stuff. Terrible situation.
  • Options
    Oh, I know. Nothing like dropping bombs on a 1st world country city....

Definitely wanna see it.
  • Options

Oh, I know. Nothing like dropping bombs on a 1st world country city....

Definitely wanna see it.

Dude, it was like a straight up homemade bomb too. C4 a fuse and a duffel bag. Nuts.
  • Options
    I remember the pictures of it hanging from a helicopter, and then, bloop, let's drop this on this house here.
  • Options

I remember the pictures of it hanging from a helicopter, and then, bloop, let's drop this on this house here.

They literally dropped a bomb on a house and burned down an entire city block to get these (awful) people out of the house, knowing full well kids were in there.. They had massive water cannons pointed directly at it which had been used to soak it for hours. Insane.

• Options

They literally dropped a bomb on a house and burned down an entire city block to get these (awful) people out of the house, knowing full well kids were in there.. They had massive water cannons pointed directly at it which had been used to soak it for hours. Insane.

oh. i had no idea that is what you guys were talking about. gotta check this doc out. can't believe this was almost 30 years ago at this point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

oh. i had no idea that is what you guys were talking about. gotta check this doc out. can't believe this was almost 30 years ago at this point.
    It is really good. If it leans one way, I would say very slightly with MOVE, but they don't try to paint them in a positive light at all, just more on the way the police and city handled the situation. Seems like a pretty honest doc on an awful and crazy situation.

I knew nothing about this prior to moving here and until I watched it only knew that it happened.

Insane
  • Options
  • Options
    The Fixer said:
    whether it's Amaro and/or Sandberg they don't seem to be big fans of Ruf which i don't get.

I do disagree with Murphy on Dom Brown. first off the guy has almost 400 at-bats this season so it isn't like he isn't playing much at all and frankly playing time has to be earned not given because of your age. Brown has sucked this year and his attitude is awfully indifferent on the field. rarely shows a pulse out there and frankly is lazy in the outfield. in total he has had one great month in his career and the rest has been fairly pedestrian or worse.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:
    whether it's Amaro and/or Sandberg they don't seem to be big fans of Ruf which i don't get.

I do disagree with Murphy on Dom Brown. first off the guy has almost 400 at-bats this season so it isn't like he isn't playing much at all and frankly playing time has to be earned not given because of your age. Brown has sucked this year and his attitude is awfully indifferent on the field. rarely shows a pulse out there and frankly is lazy in the outfield. in total he has had one great month in his career and the rest has been fairly pedestrian or worse.
    the thing with brown is that even though he's been awful, he needs to play everyday. he is one of the few players they have who could be a future piece. the more he plays the quicker they realize if he can play or not.

ruf should be playing first until franco is ready. howard should be driving the team bus and doing fast food commercials
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

the thing with brown is that even though he's been awful, he needs to play everyday. he is one of the few players they have who could be a future piece. the more he plays the quicker they realize if he can play or not.

ruf should be playing first until franco is ready. howard should be driving the team bus and doing fast food commercials
    Brown is a better version of Wes Chamberlain. does he really do anything well? and not a fan of his attitude and energy. I like Ruf a lot more.

absurd that Franco isn't on this team and a fucking travesty if they don't bring him up in september.

i think everyone agreed at the beginning of the season that this team would be better off with the veterans playing less games...and it hasn't happened that way at all for one reason or another. the 4 oldest position players have played the most games for this team.