PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Sooooo, we got the convention and the Pope is coming. Just a few bucks coming to this city over the next couple years.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890

Sooooo, we got the convention and the Pope is coming. Just a few bucks coming to this city over the next couple years.

those people don't spend any money.

like they used to say when BYU fans came to vegas.....they come with a twenty and their virginity and leave with both.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

like they used to say when BYU fans came to vegas.....they come with a twenty and their virginity and leave with both.
    Um, I am not sure you can compare the crowd of BYU fans in Vegas to a crowd for the pope or the biggest donors in a presidential election
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    the democrats will figure out a way to get everyone else to pay for their own convention

imalive said:

Um, I am not sure you can compare the crowd of BYU fans in Vegas to a crowd for the pope or the biggest donors in a presidential election
    will there be Jell-O shots?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited February 2015

imalive wrote: »

will there be Jell-O shots?

there might be some protests and riots.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    it's these last few days why I never complain about the heat. give me 95 and humid over this shit any fucking day.
    pjhawks said:

it's these last few days why I never complain about the heat. give me 95 and humid over this shit any fucking day.

I feel the complete opposite. 90 and humid is the worst weather...and it's not close.

Hilarious that pitchers and catchers report today and none of us even care. I hope they draw <5k per game this year.
    this article pretty much sums up the state of the Phillies

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-tigers-arent-the-phillies-just-yet/
  • The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

I feel the complete opposite. 90 and humid is the worst weather...and it's not close.

Hilarious that pitchers and catchers report today and none of us even care. I hope they draw
    No way. I'll take too hot over too cold any day. At least there's fun water-related activities to cool you off when it's too hot. When it's freezing out, the only ways to keep warm is to stay inside or sit in a hot tub. That said, I don't know how players used to be able to play for or against the Marlins during the dog days before they got their new stadium. I went to a Marlins/Phillies game at Dolphins stadium like 5 or 6 years ago and we lasted till like the 4th inning before we got the hell out of there and went to the beach. And that's sitting in the stands with shorts on and a drink. Imagine standing in the outfield with a baseball uniform on. Fuck that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    When you're playing and it's hot, the worst is that your feet start burning. It's gotta have something to do with the metal spikes. I used to have to practically dance in the OF to keep my feet from catching on fire...especially if we were playing on turf, which didn't happen often but sucked ass in the summers.

Best thing about the old marlins park (joe robbie, pro player, whatever the fuck it was called) is that if you were in the sun you could just get up and move to the shade. were always plenty of seats available there.

There is nothing worse than being hot. Start sweating and cannot stop. Then you think about how much you're sweating and sweat even more. It is the worst. I don't mind the cold weather at all. I usually don't even wear a jacket unless I'm going to spend prolonged time outside. Shoveling snow > cutting grass. Sweatpants > Sweating uncontrollably. Mosquitoes are annoying too.

I love the change of seasons, but summer is the by far worst. Fuck the heat. You can always add layers if you're cold. Once you start sweating, you're fucked.
  • The Fixer said:

When you're playing and it's hot, the worst is that your feet start burning. It's gotta have something to do with the metal spikes. I used to have to practically dance in the OF to keep my feet from catching on fire...especially if we were playing on turf, which didn't happen often but sucked ass in the summers.

Best thing about the old marlins park (joe robbie, pro player, whatever the fuck it was called) is that if you were in the sun you could just get up and move to the shade. were always plenty of seats available there.

There is nothing worse than being hot. Start sweating and cannot stop. Then you think about how much you're sweating and sweat even more. It is the worst. I don't mind the cold weather at all. I usually don't even wear a jacket unless I'm going to spend prolonged time outside. Shoveling snow > cutting grass. Sweatpants > Sweating uncontrollably. Mosquitoes are annoying too.

I love the change of seasons, but summer is the by far worst. Fuck the heat. You can always add layers if you're cold. Once you start sweating, you're fucked.

Eh...I disagree with all of this other than mosquito are annoying and there were plenty of available seats at Joe Robbie/Pro Player Stadium. A trend that continues to this day with the Dolphins. I'm a Dolphins fan (a fate worse than death) and try to get down there for a game at least once a year. We always buy the absolute shittiest tickets knowing we can move up. Haven't been to the new Marlins park but it looks pretty cool. I've been contemplating maybe buying tickets for the 2017 All-Start game that's going to be played there.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I lived in SE Florida for a while. Had the entire state of Florida as my sales territory (was not fun at all getting in/out of the car all day when it is 90+ degrees...ugh, bad memories). After pittsburgh, miami might be my least favorite city to visit. Love me some West Palm and Ft Lauderdale though. And Clearwater is great. Florida is a great place to visit, but I could never live down there long term.

I love visiting the MLB parks, so I will get to the new place in miami eventually. I'm in no rush though. Maybe in 2025 when the phils are relevant again.
  • The Fixer said:

I lived in SE Florida for a while. Had the entire state of Florida as my sales territory (was not fun at all getting in/out of the car all day when it is 90+ degrees...ugh, bad memories). After pittsburgh, miami might be my least favorite city to visit. Love me some West Palm and Ft Lauderdale though. And Clearwater is great. Florida is a great place to visit, but I could never live down there long term.

I love visiting the MLB parks, so I will get to the new place in miami eventually. I'm in no rush though. Maybe in 2025 when the phils are relevant again.

Well for what I use Miami for (a two or three-day getaway from Pennsylvania in the winter to see my shitty football team lose), it's okay. Plus my aunt lives in Davie so I get to visit her.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Hamels said he wants out. Oh boy, here we go....
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The Fixer said:

I think everyone understands that. Just shut up and pitch. If he couldn't see that this team was declining when he signed the deal then he's stupid.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin said:

The Fixer said:

I think everyone understands that. Just shut up and pitch. If he couldn't see that this team was declining when he signed the deal then he's stupid.
    I get where you're coming from with "shut up and pitch" but I think it's kinda good that Hamels is saying this. This way, Amaro can't hide behind rhetoric like "Cole Hamels is a Phillie and we want him to finish his career here" and stuff like that. The team is gonna blow for the duration of Hamels' current contract anyway, and Hamels has value, so if he can't pull of a trade to the Yankees or Red Sox, then he'll have no good excuse for it. Not to say he has any "good" excuses for anything he's done. But you get what I'm saying.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I just don't think it helps the Phillies or his trade value by him spouting off.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

I just don't think it helps the Phillies or his trade value by him spouting off.

management is going to screw this up regardless of what anyone says.

I wouldn't want to play for the phillies either
    The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

Liar.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

Liar.

yeah I meant -- I wouldn't want to play for the phillies if I was cole hamels.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    if he wants to get traded why did he sign that long contract?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

if he wants to get traded why did he sign that long contract?

I think he incorrectly assumed they weren't going to suck.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    wait USA Today is still around? that might have been the most shocking thing hearing about Cole's comments. I guess they keep it around for all those freebies in Hotels.

love Larry Bowa's comment about Cole...paraphrasing here..."where in your contract does it say you have to play for a winning team?"

ben davis to replace moyer. i think it's a good move. always liked ben davis. seems like he will speak his mind too. now they just have to get rid of tom mccarthy....doh
    www.myspace.com

ben davis to replace moyer. i think it's a good move. always liked ben davis. seems like he will speak his mind too. now they just have to get rid of tom mccarthy....doh

I like Davis too. they need to get rid of Stairs. he was boring and terrible last year.
    About to do one of my favorite pastimes, locking myself in Pete's sake while it snows

About to do one of my favorite pastimes, locking myself in Pete's sake while it snows

might be a good place to hang before the concert tomorrow. you should join us
    So the Red Sox sign Moncada. God damn it. If anything maybe this means some of their previously untouchable prospects might be available in a Cole trade...
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759

So the Red Sox sign Moncada. God damn it. If anything maybe this means some of their previously untouchable prospects might be available in a Cole trade...

If you believe the reports from Peter Gammons the Sox will not part with Blake Swiheart or Mookie Betts.