Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    The Fixer wrote: »
    Oh goodness.<br />
    <br />
    />
    <br />
    Louisiana politics, haha<br />
    <br />
    while that is obviously great news, flip side to the coin is median income has dropped to lowest levels in 20 years....so the people going back to work aren't making near what they were when they lost their jobs and are still struggling to keep their homes and stuff. so, not out of the woods quite yet.<br />
    <br />
    Yes. It's called the worst recession since the depression combined with a capitalist corporate environment where the incentive is the rich get richer. Of course the gap will continue to grow - it's in the math.<br />
    <br />
    i know. but i feel like this is under reported in comparison to the record job growth numbers that we hear about every month. people wonder why his approval numbers are so low and why the dems got crushed last month. it's directly because people have less money than they had before. now the fact that so many of those people think obama is the one who got us into this mess in the first place is a whole other level of stupidity though.<br />
    <br />
    go. phillies.

fact that he's also running record deficits doesn't help.

fuck the phillies (until amaro is finally fired). go sixers and christie '16

you do realize Christie has almost no chance of being President right? when over 50% of the people in your own state wouldn't vote for you and you've pissed off most of your own party you have very little chance of getting even the nomination of your own party. sorry dude ain't happening.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited December 2014
    [.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote: »
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/extending-ryan-howard-is-not-what-killed-the-phillies/<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    a whole lotta words to say "the Phillies draft like shit."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    that article can't be right. come on now, according to the Fixer and other simpleton's Ryan's contract caused the Phils to suck, the US economy to tank, earthquakes and hurricanes, the drought in California, Ebola, Amanda Bynes to go crazy, the Kardashian's to become TV stars and every other scrounge on the American people in the last 5 years. <br />
    /:)

according to you, howard is better than ted williams

• Options
    Oh goodness.<br />
    <br />
    />
    <br />
    Louisiana politics, haha<br />
    <br />
    while that is obviously great news, flip side to the coin is median income has dropped to lowest levels in 20 years....so the people going back to work aren't making near what they were when they lost their jobs and are still struggling to keep their homes and stuff. so, not out of the woods quite yet.<br />
    <br />
    Yes. It's called the worst recession since the depression combined with a capitalist corporate environment where the incentive is the rich get richer. Of course the gap will continue to grow - it's in the math.<br />
    <br />
    i know. but i feel like this is under reported in comparison to the record job growth numbers that we hear about every month. people wonder why his approval numbers are so low and why the dems got crushed last month. it's directly because people have less money than they had before. now the fact that so many of those people think obama is the one who got us into this mess in the first place is a whole other level of stupidity though.<br />
    <br />
    go. phillies.

fact that he's also running record deficits doesn't help.

fuck the phillies (until amaro is finally fired). go sixers and christie '16

you do realize Christie has almost no chance of being President right? when over 50% of the people in your own state wouldn't vote for you and you've pissed off most of your own party you have very little chance of getting even the nomination of your own party. sorry dude ain't happening.

probably not. but the fact that he has done a great job as gov of NJ...and put the crybaby teacher's union in their place...gives him my vote.

I love christie
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Holy goodness. So much to say but no point in saying anything.
  • Options
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/extending-ryan-howard-is-not-what-killed-the-phillies/<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    a whole lotta words to say "the Phillies draft like shit."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    that article can't be right. come on now, according to the Fixer and other simpleton's Ryan's contract caused the Phils to suck, the US economy to tank, earthquakes and hurricanes, the drought in California, Ebola, Amanda Bynes to go crazy, the Kardashian's to become TV stars and every other scrounge on the American people in the last 5 years. <br />
    /:)

according to you, howard is better than ted williams

never said that at all but you usually do like to twist words around for your own argument.

too bad you couldn't discredit the actual article posted and just went to take a shot at me. par for the course.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469
    the quoting....my god, the awful quoting. not even worth reading this last page or so. my eyes hurt. clean it up, people.

so anyway---about these cole to padres rumors? what do you guys think?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    the quoting....my god, the awful quoting. not even worth reading this last page or so. my eyes hurt. clean it up, people.

so anyway---about these cole to padres rumors? what do you guys think?

Tough to turn down a package around Myers. Brutal year last year and the wrist has to make you nervous, but tough to find a better piece to head the package, being under control until 2019 or something and already showing he can do it at the big league level.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Yeah, can't complain with Myers in there, but you definitely need to get back another high prospect as well. I don't want a deal centered around just one player.

Also, what's the word on this Japanese shortstop that they're getting linked to?
  • Options
    Yeah, can't complain with Myers in there, but you definitely need to get back another high prospect as well. I don't want a deal centered around just one player.

Also, what's the word on this Japanese shortstop that they're getting linked to?

the korean guy? HO KANG!

I saw the nats and phils are front runners.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831

the korean guy? HO KANG!

Japanes, Korean, whatever, it's all Greek to me.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548

the korean guy? HO KANG!

Japanes, Korean, whatever, it's all Greek to me.

I think the Pirates won the bid for him.

• Options
    anyone see 1st part of the Jimmy Rollins interview on CSN last night? Salisbury asked him about John Middleton and Jimmy said Middleton wants to be George Steinbrenner. thought that was pretty interesting
  • Options
    anyone see 1st part of the Jimmy Rollins interview on CSN last night? Salisbury asked him about John Middleton and Jimmy said Middleton wants to be George Steinbrenner. thought that was pretty interesting

I'm so sick of hearing about what Jimmy Rollins says. CSN has been milking this shit for 2 months now. Rollins is gone, no one cares what he has to say.

The phillies are infuriating. Wandy Rodriguez. Jerome Williams. Ryan Howard. Etc, etc. This franchise is a complete disgrace.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Anyone been to Bru, 1316 Chestnut?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote: »

Yeah, many times. Worked across the street for the last few years. Pretty good spot. Solid beer selection (largely German, obviously). Food is pretty good, not brahaus good, but good. Can get busy but it is big so it is never overly crowded. I have always had a good time.
  • Options

That is too bad for the Phillies, but at least he is sticking around the area.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote: »

Yeah, many times. Worked across the street for the last few years. Pretty good spot. Solid beer selection (largely German, obviously). Food is pretty good, not brahaus good, but good. Can get busy but it is big so it is never overly crowded. I have always had a good time.

Thanks. Have you used their beer wall?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

Thanks. Have you used their beer wall?

The self serve taps? I have not, but I believe there is a little stand thing that you get tokens from and then fill it up yourself.
  • Options

The "City desk?" So he's not covering sports anymore, I guess. Yeah Gelb is usually a good read. Gonna miss him.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

The "City desk?" So he's not covering sports anymore, I guess. Yeah Gelb is usually a good read. Gonna miss him.

Assume so. A city beat reporter of some sort, I assume. Interesting move.
  • Options
    2nd Street time!! Supposed to be cold but beautiful.
  • Options
    Byrd to the Reds
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Byrd to the Reds

A pretty good get in Lively. Not what Amaro was asking for from the Yankees (Severino/Judge), but that is a pretty solid haul. Gotta be picking up money.

Edit: Gotta give credit where credit is due, Amaro has made a couple pretty useful trades. Nothing blockbuster, but two good trades.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    mr. law approves of this move as well:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post/_/id/3201

Byrd deal makes sense for Phils, not Reds

The Phillies refused to begin a rebuilding process in July when they needed to take advantage of the market for several of their players, but they've committed to it now, having traded Jimmy Rollins, Antonio Bastardo and now Marlon Byrd, clearing payroll and adding some much-needed young talent to the top two levels of their farm system.

The Reds, meanwhile, fill their hole in left field all right, but it's nowhere near enough to change their outlook for 2015, and it might muddle their outfield picture beyond that.

Philadelphia gets right-hander Ben Lively back from the Reds in the exchange, a fair return for a player of Byrd's age and value. Lively has had huge numbers in the minors so far, but he's a deception guy, not a stuff guy, crushing the low minors because hitters at those levels can't adjust to the difficulty they have seeing the ball out of his hands.

Lively will pitch in the low 90s with a slider at 83-84 and a short mid-70s curveball, keeping the ball behind his body well with a short arm stroke and coming at hitters from a higher arm slot than they're used to seeing. Major league hitters do make the adjustments high-A hitters don't -- that's part of how they got to the majors, you know -- and I don't see Lively as more than a back-end starter, given his arsenal and lack of projection. But the Phillies' system is very light on guys even at Lively's level, back-end starters or quality swingman/reliever types who are major-league-ready or less than a year out. The Phillies could start him in Triple-A if they want to be aggressive -- it's not as if we're waiting for Lively's stuff to improve -- and see whether he can help their rotation in the second half of 2015.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254
    So when's Cole leaving? :-S
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Byrd to the Reds

A pretty good get in Lively. Not what Amaro was asking for from the Yankees (Severino/Judge), but that is a pretty solid haul. Gotta be picking up money.

Edit: Gotta give credit where credit is due, Amaro has made a couple pretty useful trades. Nothing blockbuster, but two good trades.

The phillies love average RH pitchers. The only power RH starter they have had in the last 20 years is brett myers. They always get these turds with 'great control' or 'good secondary stuff'.

I know they weren't going to get a ton for byrd, but lively seems like the same dude they always have. amaro sucks
  • Options
    From Keith Law's analysis...proves my point

Lively has had huge numbers in the minors so far, but he's a deception guy, not a stuff guy
  • Options

Lively has had huge numbers in the minors so far, but he's a deception guy, not a stuff guy

The other 90% of his article was positive about the trade. How much more do you think they could have gotten for Marlon Byrd?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

What else are you getting for marlon fucking Byrd? A systems number 8 prospect seems like a fucking steal