Options

Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    but.. but chad... what if someone loves ice cream.. should they be allowed to marry that ice cream?? :lol: i heard some numbskull ask that question on jon stewart last night.. :lol::lol:
    As crazy as that sounds ..... what if you fall in love with a pillow?

thumbnail.aspx?q=4782687173543315&id=29e72185d1e606a9161f46f524692185

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/816601-man-marries-pillow
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pandora wrote:
    I am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended to be between a man and a woman ...
    I would cast for my vote for that today if it meant equal rights for gay unions
    right now and stop the marriage battle. I have a feeling others would do the same.

The light is not what you think :D

and there we have it folks.... finally. pandora isnt a marriage preserver but she thinks marriage should remain the dominion of man-woman couples.

thanx for the clarity.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    Jason P wrote:
    but.. but chad... what if someone loves ice cream.. should they be allowed to marry that ice cream?? :lol: i heard some numbskull ask that question on jon stewart last night.. :lol::lol:

my knowledge of someone marrying a pillow is destroying my marriage
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

so long as its not a gay pillow you should be right. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    I am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended
    to be between a man and a woman ...

There are actually hundreds of ways marriage was intended throughout history...if you're going to continue to bring up thousands/hundreds of years...some were forced to marry when they were 12 years old, men having multiple wives, in some instances wives were considered property once they were married, etc...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    i am demanding nothing less than gay marriage. if you don't like it, that is your problem. the movement is now. the time is now.

it is nobody's place to segregate or subjugate anyone because of how they were born.

equality is equality. this legislation and your justification of it is clearly in support of inequality.
    well thats fine lets take 20 years maybe more and battle,
    me...
    I would like to see some resolution, rights granted today.
    My friends have been without the same rights as JB and I a lifetime,
    they want the legal rights and equality we enjoy everyday.

There is nothing unequal about this proposal, it just a different term for the union.
    As gay people distinguish their sexuality as different, as a term defined as a group,
    so goes the union under a different name with all the same rights, amendment granting
    that of the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,222
    pandora wrote:
    i am demanding nothing less than gay marriage. if you don't like it, that is your problem. the movement is now. the time is now.

it is nobody's place to segregate or subjugate anyone because of how they were born.

equality is equality. this legislation and your justification of it is clearly in support of inequality.
    well thats fine lets take 20 years maybe more and battle,
    me...
    I would like to see some resolution, rights granted today.
    My friends have been without the same rights as JB and I a lifetime,
    they want the legal rights and equality we enjoy everyday.

There is nothing unequal about this proposal, it just a different term for the union.
    As gay people distinguish their sexuality as different, as a term defined as a group,
    so goes the union under a different name with all the same rights, amendment granting
    that of the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.
    how can you have the same thing under different names?

man + woman = marriage

man + man
    > same thing but different name??

i'm sorry, but it should be be called marriage if it is marriage.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    This vote in North Carolina is most disappointing.
    It is far more that, it is a message, a firm one that marriage is between a man and a woman.

It has nothing to do with prejudices, equal rights, gay unions or desegregation.

People will not allow and will fight to have marriage remain as it was created
    and intended. This is a set back as the marriage preservers solidify their cause.

The gay rights people should jump on this and demand a gay union amendment,
    without the term marriage, demanding equal rights. There is no opposition
    that could oppose that.

Oh please. You're not that dense. It has EVERYTHING to do with prejudice. Marriage was not "created and intended" by Christians and they're not preserving anything.

And I am not a "gay rights person," I am a person who wants "marriage equality."

And finally, showing just how ignorant you are on this subject, you end with Saying that we should come up with a new word with all the same rights as marriage and that "There is no opposition
    that could oppose that."

News flash, Einstein, the bill passed in North Carolina was very clear that NO other union can have the same rights as a marriage between a man and a woman. None. So what you just said... That there would be no opposition to it shows that you don't understand the bill that just passed.

Stop defending bigots. They are not preserving anything but thier own place at the top of the hill. Because they're assholes.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended

There are actually hundreds of ways marriage was intended throughout history...if you're going to continue to bring up thousands/hundreds of years...some were forced to marry when they were 12 years old, men having multiple wives, in some instances wives were considered property once they were married, etc...
    :? These examples are of marriage between a man and a woman.

We are not discussing other types or reasons for marriage, they are all marriages that
    are the definition of the word,
    the intended use and creation of the word marriage that is...
    the union between a man and a woman.

This is the stance of the marriage preservers as I have heard it.
    Has nothing to do with bigotry or prejudice equality or rights
    the definition will remain between a man and a woman,
    this they will fight to preserve for tradition and intention, for those before and those after.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    But wait! If Levites and Paul (in Romans) said it 2,000 years ago, it must be true!!

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13).

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24).

"For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." (Romans 1:26-27).
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    Godfather. wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:
    untell God is blammed anyway or someone like Cliffy and a few others comes on here calling people names in support of gay rights and feelings he couldn't possibly understand unless they are gay themselfs...so that's it in a nutshell understanding is a two way street.

Godfather.

I'm gay now? Or am I just not reading this correctly?

nooooo "feelings he couldn't possibly understand unless they are gay themselfs"
    you I believe come on this thread calling people bigots and assholes I think ? whats up with that ? is that how you see the world..people that don't support gay rights are bigots and assholes ? judging by your comments you lack the understanding you seem to demand for yourself and others..do two wrongs make a right ?

Godfather.

Didn't call anyone an asshole, just a bigot. I'm fine with lacking the understanding as to why some people consider others second class citizens. That's perfectly fine with me.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,617
    It isnt going to take 20 years. I would say definitely less than 10, possibly within 5. Gay people will be allowed to MARRY, and that is that. Why hastily 'vote' now with discriminatory concessions?

About 10-12 years ago, Howard Dean was blasted for signing Civil Unions for Vermont. Now we have a sitting president supporting gay marriage. Things like this (Civil Rights) progress quicker and quicker, and the closed-minded are left on the wrong side of history. The majority of Americans are for it. That will grow. Republicans and Democrats will have no choice but to support it before long.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

1) no, they're not. That is the union between an adult and a child or the union between a man and a bunch of women or a man and his slaves.

2) how come "marriage preservers" aren't fighting for the right to marry little girls and a bunch of women?
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    ComeToTX wrote:
    I'm constantly amazed that some of the things written here are on a PJ board.

Some of you must be hearing different things in the songs. Or you just hate everything they are about, stand for and sing about.

This is a forum for non-pj related discussion.

You didn't know that? I'm amazed.
    That's why I'm here. To help.

Otherwise it's a circle jerk vacuum of thought.

Woot

Thanks for the education :roll: It's still a PJ site and I'm amazed some on here are a fan of a band that feels the opposite as they do and say it in almost EVERY song.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    pandora wrote:
    I am speaking of the preservers of marriage

Well, but no, you're not. And you know it. So drop that crap.

You're speaking of a bunch of prejudiced people who claimed ownership of both the word and concept of marriage with no historical facts to back that up. They claim to be "preservers of marriage" when they're really just a bunch of hateful assholes who get a kick out of putting themselves atop a mountain of their own creation.

They're not "preserving" anything. Marriage has been used for many things, including giving your daughter as breeding stock to old men in exchange for money or goats.

If they really wanted to "preserve" marriage they would be more interested in making divorce illegal, closing down the wedding chapels where drunk vacationers stagger in to get married in Vegas. They would have lost their minds over the "marriage as publicity stunt" by Kim Kardashian and most of all, they would be carrying burning torches through the streets upon finding out that Maggie Gallagher, the leader of NOM, is in one of those "money for green card" marriages with a man from India that she's only met a few times (and although her Wikipedia page tries to suggest they have a child together, she had that kid out of wedlock before she met her "husband").

So nobody is "preserving marriage," they're just doing their best to stay legally better than the gays. Because they're assholes. And no other reason.

By the way... tell your "preserver of marriage" friends that gay marriages have a MUCH lower divorce rate. Much. That always blows their tops. And I love seeing those people burst into fits of tears. Warms my heart.

For the win!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    edited May 2012
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

We are not discussing other types or reasons for marriage, they are all marriages that
    are the definition of the word,
    the intended use and creation of the word marriage that is...
    the union between a man and a woman.

This is the stance of the marriage preservers as I have heard it.
    Has nothing to do with bigotry or prejudice equality or rights
    the definition will remain between a man and a woman,
    this they will fight to preserve for tradition and intention, for those before and those after.

Of course they are examples of men and women (or KIDS as PoD pointed out), you missed the point though. they are also examples of the way marriage was in history, many of which are illegal now. My point is that when you keep brining up history from thousands of years ago, you are only using that one single solitary fact to help reinforce your argument while ignoring the many other instances that obviously show that marriage TODAY does NOT reflect marriage of thousands of years ago. It simply doesnt. Bad argument by the 'marriage preservers.'

You made my point... "the intended use of marriage" is NOT exactly what you are outlining. and to say that it has nothing to do with bigotry or prejudice is really close-minded. I agree it may not always be the case, but you cannot say that ALL "marriage preservers" simply want it because of tradition. Some have ulterior motives, for sure.
    Post edited by JonnyPistachio on
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    MayDay10 wrote:
    It isnt going to take 20 years. I would say definitely less than 10, possibly within 5. Gay people will be allowed to MARRY, and that is that. Why hastily 'vote' now with discriminatory concessions?

About 10-12 years ago, Howard Dean was blasted for signing Civil Unions for Vermont. Now we have a sitting president supporting gay marriage. Things like this (Civil Rights) progress quicker and quicker, and the closed-minded are left on the wrong side of history. The majority of Americans are for it. That will grow. Republicans and Democrats will have no choice but to support it before long.

Exactly, end of discussion.
  • Options

Oh please. You're not that dense. It has EVERYTHING to do with prejudice. Marriage was not "created and intended" by Christians and they're not preserving anything.

And I am not a "gay rights person," I am a person who wants "marriage equality."

And finally, showing just how ignorant you are on this subject, you end with Saying that we should come up with a new word with all the same rights as marriage and that "There is no opposition
    that could oppose that."

News flash, Einstein, the bill passed in North Carolina was very clear that NO other union can have the same rights as a marriage between a man and a woman. None. So what you just said... That there would be no opposition to it shows that you don't understand the bill that just passed.

Stop defending bigots. They are not preserving anything but thier own place at the top of the hill. Because they're assholes.

Posting guidelines state to remain respectful :?

The common law aspect was added for extra protection for the union of marriage.
    We will see what this will bring to the law. May actually work in favor of gay marriage.

Well perhaps you'll be waiting for marriage equality then
    while I know many who would like equal rights given today.

Again read my posts I am not defending I am trying to find resolution today.
    Perservers of marriage will remain united
    and may grow as the issue of prejudice is obviously removed now.

Please don't put me down that is less than respectful and shows your true nature.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pandora wrote:
    As gay people distinguish their sexuality as different, as a term defined as a group.

As heterosexuals, bisexuals, asexuals, little people, big people, caucasian, oriental, etc. I could go on for ever.... Labels. We have always put ourselves in 'groups', a belonging of some kind. These groups are all fundamentally the same - people. One word for one 'concept'. Just like marriage - one word for one concept (if we were to choose this word).
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Exactly, end of discussion.

Women weren't allowed to vote until 1913. African Americans were still being hung in the 1960s. Massachusetts was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage in 2004.
    2012: New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg calls President Barack Obama's stand on gay marriage "a major turning point in the history of American civil rights."

Progress is a bitch.
  • Options
    ALL "marriage preservers" simply want it because of tradition. Some have ulterior motives, for sure.
    I have said most in past posts and of course ones motives can not be known
    unless stated honestly.
    I think it is clear though if one wants equality for gay unions
    and wants an amendment protecting this their motives are pure.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    ALL "marriage preservers" simply want it because of tradition. Some have ulterior motives, for sure.
    I have said most in past posts and of course ones motives can not be known
    unless stated honestly.

you keep calling it gay UNIONS. MARRIAGE equality is what we want here. marriage is a union between 2 people so lets just call gay union what is it... GAY MARRIAGE.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    you keep calling it gay UNIONS. MARRIAGE equality is what we want here. marriage is a union between 2 people so lets just call gay union what is it... GAY MARRIAGE.

Until the time we can call it marriage, plain and simple, without any added adjective! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Until the time we can call it marriage, plain and simple, without any added adjective! :mrgreen:

yes. lets call it MARRIAGE. its neat its clean its simple. it is what it is... what it should be.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,069
    pandora wrote:

that could oppose that."

Posting guidelines state to remain respectful :?

The common law aspect was added for extra protection for the union of marriage.
    We will see what this will bring to the law. May actually work in favor of gay marriage.

Well perhaps you'll be waiting for marriage equality then
    while I know many who would like equal rights given today.

Again read my posts I am not defending I am trying to find resolution today.
    Perservers of marriage will remain united
    and may grow as the issue of prejudice is obviously removed now.

Please don't put me down that is less than respectful and shows your true nature.
    I can't believe you just said "don't put me down" and then said his "true nature" was less than respectful all in the same sentence. Let's remember the posting guidelines, personal attacks and such. And judging, too. I know that's something you try to avoid.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    cate I thought more of you than that ;) ..
    pandora wrote:
    Posting guidelines state to remain respectful

Please don't put me down that is less than respectful and shows your true nature...

:?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    cate I thought more of you than that ;) ..
    pandora wrote:
    Posting guidelines state to remain respectful

Please don't put me down that is less than respectful and shows your true nature...

:?

right there with you hugh. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I can't believe you just said "don't put me down" and then said his "true nature" was less than respectful all in the same sentence. Let's remember the posting guidelines, personal attacks and such. And judging, too. I know that's something you try to avoid.
    I did not put him down I said his true nature is showing in his posts, rude and disrespectful
    and it was pretty obviously. :nono:
    But thanks for letting me know how you feel :fp:
    pandora wrote:

As I mentioned to gimme...
    fine then the battle will go on perhaps even decades this while gay unions
    do not have legal equality or are unrecognized all together as yesterday's vote.
    I would like to see better for my friends who are approaching the age of leaving this world.

Gay marriage must be legal then in Australia good job,
    I'm sure you got out there and supported hard to make that happen.
    What year was it legalized? Any advice for America I know you have lots of input
    for the US ;)
    Post edited by pandora on
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Pandora: Bring on the fight for marriage. We prefer it to all this sneaking around.

I will say it again. Gay people want what everyone else has the chance to have. Marriage. End of sentence. We won't and we shouldn't settle for anything less. Separate but equal didn't work before, why would it work now? I can honestly say I'd rather have the fight take another ten years if it means marriage and not some other named thing. Marriage. How many times can I say it in this post?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    Pandora: Bring on the fight for marriage. We prefer it to all this sneaking around.

I will say it again. Gay people want what everyone else has the chance to have. Marriage. End of sentence. We won't and we shouldn't settle for anything less. Separate but equal didn't work before, why would it work now? I can honestly say I'd rather have the fight take another ten years if it means marriage and not some other named thing. Marriage. How many times can I say it in this post?
    I will vote for preserving marriage as it was defined between a man and a woman
    only if it will bring resolution faster and equal legal rights to gay unions.
    Hopefully in the form of a national amendment granting such legal equal rights.
This discussion has been closed.