Options

Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I posted this in another thread and I'll post it in this one: my thoughts on this is that if you love someone, you should be able to marry them; whether it's man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman. No one should tell you who you can and can not marry.

I'm glad CT isn't like North Carolina and other states who want to make it illegal.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Tom K wrote:
    I am completely in favor of gay marriage...

but I have a question.. I have no answer for this question and maybe someone can provide me with some insight into how they feel...

How do we rectify perceived wrongs made by a democratic vote?
    Is it "un-democratic" for the supreme court to declare a law unconstitutional that was passed by popular vote?

Rights of a minority should never be put to a vote.

Ever.

But that said... I'm very happy that the numbers of Christians dwindle 2-3% per year. At this rate, we'll be able to vote to make it illegal in my lifetime. It's worth living for. :lol:
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    Tom K wrote:
    I am completely in favor of gay marriage...

but I have a question.. I have no answer for this question and maybe someone can provide me with some insight into how they feel...

How do we rectify perceived wrongs made by a democratic vote?
    Is it "un-democratic" for the supreme court to declare a law unconstitutional that was passed by popular vote?

Ever.

But that said... I'm very happy that the numbers of Christians dwindle 2-3% per year. At this rate, we'll be able to vote to make it illegal in my lifetime. It's worth living for. :lol:
    rights should not be put to a vote. imagine if desegregation had been put on the ballot in the south. imagine if the women's right to vote had been put on a ballot in the south. imagine if roe v wade was on the ballot in the south. none of them would have passed. most likely ever....it takes government actions to legally grant rights. they are not to be voted on by the people. the people do not bestow rights onto themselves. the government should be the ones that do it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

Ever.

rights should not be put to a vote. imagine if desegregation had been put on the ballot in the south. imagine if the women's right to vote had been put on a ballot in the south. imagine if roe v wade was on the ballot in the south. none of them would have passed. most likely ever....it takes government actions to legally grant rights. they are not to be voted on by the people. the people do not bestow rights onto themselves. the government should be the ones that do it.[/quote]

And that is why I'm not worried really, all the inbred people of the south (and don't get on my dress for that, in every state in the south you can marry your 1st cousin unless he's gay) can have all the votes they want.

The US Supreme Court will eventually throw down every one of those votes and we'll have equality across the land.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ...and don't get on my dress for that...
  • Options
    rollings wrote:
    ...and don't get on my dress for that...

(sorry, I forget most people here are straight and are totally unfamiliar with my movies. I have a catch phrase "Get off my dress" that I use. It means the same as "get off my back" or "give me a break." :|
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This for thousands of years ... it is marriage.

definition

marriage...
    "the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc."

A proponent of the law yesterday stated perhaps the gay community could leave marriage as is
    and establish a new amendment, giving a new name for the union of same sex couples
    with the same legal rights.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    That's a great idea.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Godfather. wrote:

it's not a band on 'gay marriage' it also affects straight people. the amendment was that the state would only recognize a legal marriage between a man and a woman as a the only legal union. so no more common law marriage and things like that. i wonder how this will affect the domestic violence laws? anyway, my county was one of the few who voted against it and the city recognizes(d) civil unions and allows them to put their partners on their insurnace

'Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State.'
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

definition

marriage...
    "the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc."

A proponent of the law yesterday stated perhaps the gay community could leave marriage as is
    and establish a new amendment, giving a new name for the union of same sex couples

I agree with this to a point. I think any and all peoples should be allowed to enter into a civil union, and forgo marriage in the truest sense. In essence, marriage is a religious union, is it not? civil unions recognize being legally tied to a spouse.

Prince, does the gay community by and large want to be recognized as "married", or do they only care about their equal rights under the laws of civil unions?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    I personally do not care what you call it but people should have the same rights. A same sex couple should be able to make medical decisions for each other, etc.

Actually, I think the government should forget about being in the marriage business at all and make that a religious ceremony. Simply have all "marriages" be considered legal unions and receive the same rights and privileges.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126

I agree with this to a point. I think any and all peoples should be allowed to enter into a civil union, and forgo marriage in the truest sense. In essence, marriage is a religious union, is it not? civil unions recognize being legally tied to a spouse.

Prince, does the gay community by and large want to be recognized as "married", or do they only care about their equal rights under the laws of civil unions?

I should have read your post before typing. Good post. I'll wait for Prince to answer but my understanding is that they want it to be equal, whatever that is. So if opposite sex relationships are marriages, they want the same for same sex. But that is only going off what I've read and the few individuals I have in my life.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    definition of marriage from merriam-webster

Definition of MARRIAGE
    a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
    : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
    : an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>

this is the most backwards argument that exists out there today ... why people get bent out of shape over what other people do that has absolutely no bearing on them is mind boggling ... this is a human rights issue and the religious zealots that want to control other people have no business here ...

memo to religious conservatives: leave the gay people alone - you don't own the word "marriage" ...
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

I should have read your post before typing. Good post. I'll wait for Prince to answer but my understanding is that they want it to be equal, whatever that is. So if opposite sex relationships are marriages, they want the same for same sex. But that is only going off what I've read and the few individuals I have in my life.

I just don't get it..the gay community has it made really, I lesbien friend of mine bought a house and shortly after regestered for domistic partnership and in 4 + years their relationship went bad and now my friend worried about having to pay 1/2 the equity in the house to her partner so I have to ask why not leave good enough alone ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Godfather. wrote:
    I just don't get it..the gay community has it made really, I lesbien friend of mine bought a house and shortly after regestered for domistic partnership and in 4 + years their relationship went bad and now my friend worried about having to pay 1/2 the equity in the house to her partner so I have to ask why not leave good enough alone ?

Godfather.

cause good enough is not equality.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Exactly.

Godfather, not really sure what you mean by "the gay community has it made really".

If you said "good enough" to the gay couples I know they would just shake their heads or roll their eyes. Besides, if any married couple has concerns about dividing up assets in the event of a break up they always have the option of signing prenuptial agreements.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Exactly.

Godfather, not really sure what you mean by "the gay community has it made really".

If you said "good enough" to the gay couples I know they would just shake their heads or roll their eyes. Besides, if any married couple has concerns about dividing up assets in the event of a break up they always have the option of signing prenuptial agreements.

yea I'm just not in the know about the gay stuff infact I asked my friend why did she do the domestic partner thing and she shook her head and said "beats the fuck out of me but I'll never do it again", so really all this stuff is just confusing to me.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

yea I'm just not in the know about the gay stuff infact I asked my friend why did she do the domestic partner thing and she shook her head and said "beats the fuck out of me but I'll never do it again", so really all this stuff is just confusing to me.

Godfather.

would you have asked a straight friend why 'they did the domestic partner thing'? i dont get where youre coming from with this godfather. tis as if you see gays as different from straights. people are people and speaking generally we all want love. we all want companionship.. we all want to find that person who values us and thinks were awesome... even a misanthrope like me wants those things. gay, straight, swinging like the doors of a wild west saloon... it doesnt matter.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Yeah, I know a lot of bitter divorced women who say they will never marry again. Let's make straight marriage illegal so they keep their word. :fp:
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

definition

marriage...

Oh, I know how much you want to repeat that until people believe it. But it's just simply not true.

Hm. then why does the law say that NO other entity can be equal to "marriage between one man and one woman?"

Or... wait... did they forget to read the amendment before voting for it?
  • Options
    [I agree with this to a point. I think any and all peoples should be allowed to enter into a civil union, and forgo marriage in the truest sense. In essence, marriage is a religious union, is it not?

Mine isn't. I got married at city hall in Toronto and there was a big line of straight people waiting to get married the same way. I have a civil marriage. Not a religious one.

Evangelicals do not have a monopoly on the word "marriage" and there are plenty of religions that DO recognize gay couples. So who's religion do we use as a guide?

Civil Unions only offer about 20% of the rights and protections and responsibilities and resources of marriage. And besides... "Separate But Equal" is not "equal."
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

would you have asked a straight friend why 'they did the domestic partner thing'? i dont get where youre coming from with this godfather. tis as if you see gays as different from straights. people are people and speaking generally we all want love. we all want companionship.. we all want to find that person who values us and thinks were awesome... even a misanthrope like me wants those things. gay, straight, swinging like the doors of a wild west saloon... it doesnt matter.

...well how I see them don't matter much, but what I ment is that they have a domestic partnership now so why complicate with a leagle marrige ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

...well how I see them don't matter much, but what I ment is that they have a domestic partnership now so why complicate with a leagle marrige ?

Godfather.

aah gotcha. maybe the answer is cause it seems like a good idea at the time? lotta peeps get married cause of that. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    USA, where we let a book that was written by who the fuck knows control our laws.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    ComeToTX wrote:
    USA, where we let a book that was written by who the fuck knows control our laws.
    I may be wrong here...

193 countries...
    10 allow gay marriage.....

I may be wrong....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    [I agree with this to a point. I think any and all peoples should be allowed to enter into a civil union, and forgo marriage in the truest sense. In essence, marriage is a religious union, is it not?

Mine isn't. I got married at city hall in Toronto and there was a big line of straight people waiting to get married the same way. I have a civil marriage. Not a religious one.

Evangelicals do not have a monopoly on the word "marriage" and there are plenty of religions that DO recognize gay couples. So who's religion do we use as a guide?

Civil Unions only offer about 20% of the rights and protections and responsibilities and resources of marriage. And besides... "Separate But Equal" is not "equal."

what I mean is, did marriage not start out as a religious union? does it matter to you what it's called as long as it is recognized legally as the same thing?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Godfather.

same exact reason straight people get married.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    ComeToTX wrote:
    I may be wrong here...

193 countries...
    10 allow gay marriage.....

I may be wrong....

Right. Not really an excuse though. Just because the rest of the world lives in the past doesn't mean we have to.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
This discussion has been closed.