LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Detroit started to turn the corner in 90/91 didn't win the cup till 97, Pitt started turning the corner 2 years ago and are cup champions, Sid, Malkin and Stall are all young and a few years away from being free agents, all 3 are good center and they make people around them better. The same thing was said last year, that they were losing key people and would not be back, as long as they have those three at center and a goalie who now knows he can play and win big games, they'll be alright. Plus they have Mario who is hockey person, Shero the GM who understands hockey and they are moving into a brand new facility in a year.

Detroit has some ? marks, unless people are blind detroit was tired against Pitt.

Detroit started to turn a corner in 90-91? Not exactly true.
    Detroit turned a corner in 1994-95. Thats when they started winning playoff series and ending the season with great reg. season records.
    Don't get too high on your team. The only reason you are talented is because you were so bad for so long, you got a lot of high draft picks. Detroit has stayed good by picking up great talent at varied places in the draft. Now that you're good, you'll have to find a way to get good players that aren't real high up.
    Detroit has proved they can do this, considering Zetterberg and Datsyuk were both real low picks. Pitt hasn't proved they can stay at the top of their game yet.

And for all these Pitt fans saying how great you are, it's easy to celebrate now, but lets not forget that it was only like four years ago when the Penguins were looking for a new home. There's loyalty for you.

I was off by a year in 91/92 they were 43-25-12, like I said starting to turn the corner. I am not arguing that Detroit is not a great organization, because they are, but even the most die hard wing fans have to realize that Detroit could have easily had many more, so at times they have underachieved. But by the way I'm not a Pens fan, but I recognize a team that played well, deserved the cup and this is the 2nd strait appearance in the finals. I also know they are young and the cornerstone to thier franchise is that they are strong down the middle, at center, young and improving defense, and goalie who just gained a whole lot of confidence knowing he can win big games. I also expect Pitt and Detroit to meet again next year.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Detroit started to turn the corner in 90/91 didn't win the cup till 97, Pitt started turning the corner 2 years ago and are cup champions, Sid, Malkin and Stall are all young and a few years away from being free agents, all 3 are good center and they make people around them better. The same thing was said last year, that they were losing key people and would not be back, as long as they have those three at center and a goalie who now knows he can play and win big games, they'll be alright. Plus they have Mario who is hockey person, Shero the GM who understands hockey and they are moving into a brand new facility in a year.

Detroit has some ? marks, unless people are blind detroit was tired against Pitt.

Detroit turned a corner in 1994-95. Thats when they started winning playoff series and ending the season with great reg. season records.
    Don't get too high on your team. The only reason you are talented is because you were so bad for so long, you got a lot of high draft picks. Detroit has stayed good by picking up great talent at varied places in the draft. Now that you're good, you'll have to find a way to get good players that aren't real high up.
    Detroit has proved they can do this, considering Zetterberg and Datsyuk were both real low picks. Pitt hasn't proved they can stay at the top of their game yet.

And for all these Pitt fans saying how great you are, it's easy to celebrate now, but lets not forget that it was only like four years ago when the Penguins were looking for a new home. There's loyalty for you.
    Funny how that so bad for so long thing hasn't worked out for the Lions. Pittsburgh is a better sport town than Detriot by a mile. Not willing to call the Pens a dynasty though or even the beginning.
    #FHP
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Well it didn't work out. I didn't even have a chance to watch game 7. 50cent PBR's I was busy with during the game. lol
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    milarso wrote:

Nothing to do with loyalty... More like terrible ownership (Baldwin), horrendous building lease and out of control rising salaries. Even during the worse year (Dick Tarnstrom was their leading scorer for crissake), attendance wasn't terrible...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Horos wrote:
    Funny how that so bad for so long thing hasn't worked out for the Lions. Pittsburgh is a better sport town than Detriot by a mile. Not willing to call the Pens a dynasty though or even the beginning.

Yeah-- I have no answer for the Lions. I don't think anyone who watches sports would disagree that the Lions of the last 20 years are arguably the worst franchise in the history of sports.
    And the "Best sports town" argument will go on for days, but Detroit has consistantly been in the top 10 of the Sporting News' Best Sports City ranking for the last 10 years, including a No. 1 spot just two years ago in '07. Pittsburgh doesn't seem to have ever been No. 1.
    So saying it is "a better sport town than Detroit by a mile" seems to just be your opinion with nothing to back it up.
    In the last 20 years, Detroit has brought home 7 championships between the Pistons and Red Wings (add six more championships if you count Michigan State, University of Michigan and the WNBA's Detroit Shock as Detroit teams).

Pittsburgh on the other hand (if the numbers I found are correct) has only won five championships in the last 20 years (three in hockey, including this year, and two in football).
    Also- Pittsburgh only has 14 championships in its history, while Detroit has 21 (not counting WNBA).
    You could make the argument that you can't compare the numbers because Detroit supports all four major sports teams, while Pitt only has three. But that argument kind leans toward Detroit being a better sports town anyway, as it is able to support all four.

Again- this argument could go on for days no matter what major city you are from. Everyone thinks their city is best. And Detroit is going downward (Pistons haven't been in the championship talks for years, Tigers are solid, but probably not a World Series contender, Wings are strong, and the Lions, well, they're the Lions). And Pitt is on the rise (Strong football, solid team in the NCAA bball race with the Panthers, Pens are on top, Pirates, well, they might as well be the Lions...) So Pitt could take over as a better sports town.
    But right now I would imagine that any casual sports fan would say that saying Pittsburgh is a way better sports town than Detroit is ridiculous. A better football city? No doubt about it. Better in all sports though? That's a tough sell.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Yea, I think it was anti-love for Bettman. Anyone know the story there? Why does Detroit hate him so much? I'm sure he deserves it, but what happened to get such a negative reaction?

Fans are going to alway claim crazy conspiracies about how a commissioner is trying to screw their team but Bettman did exactly that when he not only moved the series up one week earlier then scheduled, but then gave the Redwings two days rest before making them play 3 games in 4 days . . . when an injured Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Draper needed time to heal. (It turned out that Lidstrom had testicular surgery from getting speared by Patrick Sharpe). These three guys all wear the "C" and "A" on their jerseys. I would be curious to know what Bettman would have done if Crosby and Malkin were recovering from injuries heading into the series.

Anyway, my hat is off to the Penguins for fighting back. Maybe Hossa is an unlucky rabbits foot.

. . . and I'm getting a Franzen jersey for his handy work on Classless Cid.
  • Jason P wrote:
    Yea, I think it was anti-love for Bettman. Anyone know the story there? Why does Detroit hate him so much? I'm sure he deserves it, but what happened to get such a negative reaction?

Fans are going to alway claim crazy conspiracies about how a commissioner is trying to screw their team but Bettman did exactly that when he not only moved the series up one week earlier then scheduled, but then gave the Redwings two days rest before making them play 3 games in 4 days . . . when an injured Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Draper needed time to heal. (It turned out that Lidstrom had testicular surgery from getting speared by Patrick Sharpe). These three guys all wear the "C" and "A" on their jerseys. I would be curious to know what Bettman would have done if Crosby and Malkin were recovering from injuries heading into the series.

Anyway, my hat is off to the Penguins for fighting back. Maybe Hossa is an unlucky rabbits foot.

. . . and I'm getting a Franzen jersey for his handy work on Classless Cid.

The NHL was getting a ton of crap for potentially starting the Cup Finals a week after both teams had been decided. Keep in mind that this was prior to the Wings finishing off the Hawks and it was all based on speculation. Fact is, the NHL would have shot itself in the foot again had this been allowed to happen. They would have lost any momentum from a great playoff year and would have been even more overshadowed by the NBA if you can imagine that. In fact, had the original date remained it would have showed a clear bias for the Wings to have a better chance, so it had to go one way or the other with the logical choice being the one that benefited the league and not one team.

And once again we have a failed attempt at someone accusing Sid of being classless. A few Wings miss shaking his hand by 10-15 seconds (go back and watch the video) and need something to complain about. That's quite a bit more classless than what they are making up about him. Blame the media, not Sid.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Well it didn't work out. I didn't even have a chance to watch game 7. 50cent PBR's I was busy with during the game. lol
    Not only did the Wings lose, but you paid $0.40 too much for PBRs? Tough weekend.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    lukin2006 wrote:

I was off by a year in 91/92 they were 43-25-12, like I said starting to turn the corner. I am not arguing that Detroit is not a great organization, because they are, but even the most die hard wing fans have to realize that Detroit could have easily had many more, so at times they have underachieved.
    Underachieved....sort like the Pens did when they had Mario and Jaromir together...or like the Rangers when they had Mess and the Great One....or the 'lanche when they had Roy, Forsberg and Sakic?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    can we lock this thread til next year please. i can't handle seeing it everyday
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    Tough,tough loss.No question injuries played a part but that is playoff hockey.
    The healthiest teams usually do win.
    To Brad Stuart--UP THE BOARDS,MAN!!! They teach this in pee-wee.
    Oh well,I thought it could go seven and it did.
    As far as Crosby not shaking hands,he was caught up in the Bettman pr machine.
    Quickly grabbed and shuffled off for a few interviews.
    The Kid is good and only 21.Just a pure accident.
    The Penquins could have more trouble than Detroit keeping this team together because of salary cap hits.
    I heard Hossa wants to try the Pens again next year.
    Something about a better chance to win with them. :roll:
    Thanks WINGS for a great year.
    My doctor says I should be better in a week or two.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
    Horos wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I agree Pitt is a much better sports town. The lions, well they have no where to but up and they can't get worse. You never hear Wings fans mention how they were so terrible for so long and back in the 80's the Joe was pretty empty.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Jason P wrote:
    Ah, yea. Forgot about that (conveniently, hehe). Thanks for the clarification. And even if Sid didn't intentionally mean to disrespect the Red Wings, that was still the end result based on some their comments. I'm a big fan of Crosby's, but I think it showed a lack of maturity to be so glib about it in the press. That's one major sports tradition that I don't think anyone should piss all over. Hopefully it's a learning experience for him (PS Pens fans (myself included), he doesn't walk on water).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    Since 1970 Pittsburgh has 11 championships in thier three major sports(2 WS, 3 SC, and 6 SB). Prior to that they were all aweful. Of course I'm not being objective in my posts, I am a Pittsburgh fan. Since 1970 only 7 cities have held more than one of the trophies at a time (NY, LA x2, Boston x2, Pitt x2) Never in Detriot, NY and LA have a plethora of teams, Pittsburgh has done it twice with only 3.

Mostly just my opinions though like was stated.
    #FHP
    NBC picked a pretty good game of the week...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    tybird wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I was off by a year in 91/92 they were 43-25-12, like I said starting to turn the corner. I am not arguing that Detroit is not a great organization, because they are, but even the most die hard wing fans have to realize that Detroit could have easily had many more, so at times they have underachieved.
    Underachieved....sort like the Pens did when they had Mario and Jaromir together...or like the Rangers when they had Mess and the Great One....or the 'lanche when they had Roy, Forsberg and Sakic?

When the Rangers had Messier and Gretzky together those 2 were at the very end of their careers. The Avs won 2 in 6 years, Roy was nearing the end of his career, Forsberg and Sakic were batteling injuries that eventually ended both careers. Mario and Jagr won 2 in a row, I suspect many teams would love 2 in a row. When I think of the talent Detroit has assembled I compare them to the Oilers in the 80's (5 in 7 years), the Islanders of the early 80's (4 in a row), but most closely to Montreal of the 60's - 70's - 80's both teams had a wealth of talent, drafted well, found bargains, made solid trades and had amazing regular seasons, the difference the wings 4 cups, Montreal 11 cups from 64 -65 to 85- 86...both teams had a similar 20 year dominance in the regular season but Montreal won 7 more cups than the wings...I feel the difference is that Montreal always placed a premium on goaltending. I also see the end is near for the wings, similar to Montreal in the late 80's, eventually your drafting isn't as good, the people you trusted are no longer there (Montreal and Detroit common connection is Bowman, now he's in Chicago and been there a few years and look at the wealth of talent they have).

You could almost say Montreal won 16 cups in 30 years, because they actually started a run of 5 in a row in 54-55 that was interrupted in the first part of the 60's. A championship every other year is amazing and unlikely to duplicated.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I also see the end is near for the wings, similar to Montreal in the late 80's, eventually your drafting isn't as good, the people you trusted are no longer there (Montreal and Detroit common connection is Bowman, now he's in Chicago and been there a few years and look at the wealth of talent they have).

God, it's amazing the Wings, with their terrible Stanley Cup/Gold Medal-winning coach, and not having Scotty Bowman in the organization can still win a game... :roll:
    milarso wrote:
    NBC picked a pretty good game of the week...
    they did pick a good game...next week chicago and washington...the problem both detroit and chicago have is goaltending...neither team seems to be getting consistent goaltending, the goalies have decent numbers but tend to give up momentum changing goals which can be costly.

my finals prediction vancouver and pittsburgh...both teams have solid goaltending...7 game series vancouver winning it

milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I also see the end is near for the wings, similar to Montreal in the late 80's, eventually your drafting isn't as good, the people you trusted are no longer there (Montreal and Detroit common connection is Bowman, now he's in Chicago and been there a few years and look at the wealth of talent they have).

God, it's amazing the Wings, with their terrible Stanley Cup/Gold Medal-winning coach, and not having Scotty Bowman in the organization can still win a game... :roll:
    I never said they couldn't win and I never said that they aren't a good organization...

lukin2006 wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I never said they couldn't win and I never said that they aren't a good organization...
    I never said Babcock was a terrible coach, I do believe Wilson was a better coach during the Olympics though, the US team was consistent from the drop of the puck in the first game to the very end and lost in OT to a much more talented Canadian team because we were not consistent. Crosby scored a huge goal...believe me if he did not score that goal Babcock and Yzerman would no longer be involved in the national program.

go wings!
    ah to be a lower seed. usually we're the high seed comin in and at get bounced by a hot calgary/anaheim type.
    it could be us!
    now we just need some goaltending....
    jones wrote:
    go wings!
    ah to be a lower seed. usually we're the high seed comin in and at get bounced by a hot calgary/anaheim type.
    it could be us!

Jimmy's 24-14 this season with the No. 8 lowest GAA in the league. Far from dominant, but far from being terrible too. We need to start getting it done in OT- (12 extra period losses are tied for the most in the league) we need those points.
    Anyway, I hope we end up playing San Jose in the first round. We own the Sharks this year and that team has a huge history of choking the playoffs.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    detroit sucks...when that ref disallowed that goal it was a huge momentum shifter in the game. lots of shitty calls.
    pjfan021 wrote:
    detroit sucks...when that ref disallowed that goal it was a huge momentum shifter in the game. lots of shitty calls.

Yeah, Chicago's horrible defense/goaltending is the refs' fault...
    Good teams don't give up five unanswered goals after a call that doesn't go their way...

Sour grapes are funny.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    2 big points today

Nashville lost so we are 1 point out of 7th and 1 ahead of 9th
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    milarso wrote:
    jones wrote:
    go wings!
    it could be us!

Jimmy's 24-14 this season with the No. 8 lowest GAA in the league. Far from dominant, but far from being terrible too. We need to start getting it done in OT- (12 extra period losses are tied for the most in the league) we need those points.
    Anyway, I hope we end up playing San Jose in the first round. We own the Sharks this year and that team has a huge history of choking the playoffs.

yea jimmy's good. i was thinking like insane giguere 03 goaltending...i'm still sour about that
    we're healthy. gonna get in. and gonna make some noise. we can hang with the big boys. i pray for a pens rematch
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    Thought I'd chime in on a couple things here being a Wings fan myself.

I saw a post commenting on how Montreal won so many cups 11 vs Detroits 4 or whatever. The biggest difference.....there was only 6 teams until 1967 and then even then, it went to 12 :lol: what kind of argument do you really have?

Also, I've had the opportunity to get to meet/know Bowman, Babcock and Wilson. They are all completely different coaches. Over the past 15 years I've been able to pick the brains of some of the best. If I could pick a coach for my beloved Red Wings it would be Hitchcock assisted by Andy Murray and Mike Babcock. Toss Roger Neilson into the mix to do the video.....I can dream can't I?

Bowman believe it or not is not very good at x's and o's. In fact, when he was with the Wings he never went on the ice for practices, that was all delegated to Lewis and Smith. Bowman's asset has always been to put players on the ice at the right time. I will never argue that he couldn't run a bench. Bowman was always a man of timing. How do you screw this up? "Montreal had no fewer than nine skaters in the Hockey Hall of Fame (Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and Serge Savard) during Bowman's tenure".

Babcock is technically sound and a real student of the game. He is constantly searching for ways to better the team and himself. He holds everyone accountable and everyone is treated equally from 1st forward to 13th. He is respected by everyone throughout the league.

Wilson is all about motivation and he's one of the best in the game today. Keith Acton does all the technical work (why do you think they kept him around?). Wilson is also very good with the technology side of the game using his laptop nonstop. The Leafs actually have laptops on the bench with them.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
    I earned my redwings years ago!!! ;)
    #FHP
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    Babcock dropped the ball tonight :o

When Ian White took that penalty at 17:15 to make it 4 on 4 Babs should have pulled Howard to go up 5 on 4. Then when the Detroit penalty ended 18:23 they would have been 6 on 4 until 19:15.

Calgary couldn't have iced the puck for a full 1:07 until Detroit went up 6 on 5 (when White's penalty ends) since they weren't considered shorthanded until then.

Instead he waits until the 4 on 4 is up and then pulls him :?:

Doesn't make logical sense at all....wait until they are able to clear the puck without the threat of icing :?:

Yikes....big time screw up in a tight race. If they lose out to Calgary for the last spot this game is going to haunt me :evil:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.