LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Comments

• SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    coachchris wrote:
    Thought I'd chime in on a couple things here being a Wings fan myself.

I saw a post commenting on how Montreal won so many cups 11 vs Detroits 4 or whatever. The biggest difference.....there was only 6 teams until 1967 and then even then, it went to 12 :lol: what kind of argument do you really have?

Also, I've had the opportunity to get to meet/know Bowman, Babcock and Wilson. They are all completely different coaches. Over the past 15 years I've been able to pick the brains of some of the best. If I could pick a coach for my beloved Red Wings it would be Hitchcock assisted by Andy Murray and Mike Babcock. Toss Roger Neilson into the mix to do the video.....I can dream can't I?

Bowman believe it or not is not very good at x's and o's. In fact, when he was with the Wings he never went on the ice for practices, that was all delegated to Lewis and Smith. Bowman's asset has always been to put players on the ice at the right time. I will never argue that he couldn't run a bench. Bowman was always a man of timing. How do you screw this up? "Montreal had no fewer than nine skaters in the Hockey Hall of Fame (Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and Serge Savard) during Bowman's tenure".

Babcock is technically sound and a real student of the game. He is constantly searching for ways to better the team and himself. He holds everyone accountable and everyone is treated equally from 1st forward to 13th. He is respected by everyone throughout the league.

Wilson is all about motivation and he's one of the best in the game today. Keith Acton does all the technical work (why do you think they kept him around?). Wilson is also very good with the technology side of the game using his laptop nonstop. The Leafs actually have laptops on the bench with them.
    Bowman really was a true details guy too. He would do things like make the St.Louis Blues move banners up (as they were too low according to NHL regulations) because his D liked to flip the puck high to get it out of the zone and the banners could potentially deflect a dump-out, get missed by an official and lead to a St Louis scoring chance -- if you ever get a chance, ask Ken Holland about that one.

That said, Scotty Bowman is the most to blame for the Wings transformation to a successful but pathetically boring style of play. It works but it is wretched to watch.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Songburst you are now allowed to post in the Wings thread

go start a Wild thread lol
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    smarchee wrote:

go start a Wild thread lol

After last night, the Wild need more than their own thread.
    5-1. Go Wings!
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Songburst wrote:
    coachchris wrote:
    Thought I'd chime in on a couple things here being a Wings fan myself.

I saw a post commenting on how Montreal won so many cups 11 vs Detroits 4 or whatever. The biggest difference.....there was only 6 teams until 1967 and then even then, it went to 12 :lol: what kind of argument do you really have?

Also, I've had the opportunity to get to meet/know Bowman, Babcock and Wilson. They are all completely different coaches. Over the past 15 years I've been able to pick the brains of some of the best. If I could pick a coach for my beloved Red Wings it would be Hitchcock assisted by Andy Murray and Mike Babcock. Toss Roger Neilson into the mix to do the video.....I can dream can't I?

Bowman believe it or not is not very good at x's and o's. In fact, when he was with the Wings he never went on the ice for practices, that was all delegated to Lewis and Smith. Bowman's asset has always been to put players on the ice at the right time. I will never argue that he couldn't run a bench. Bowman was always a man of timing. How do you screw this up? "Montreal had no fewer than nine skaters in the Hockey Hall of Fame (Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and Serge Savard) during Bowman's tenure".

Babcock is technically sound and a real student of the game. He is constantly searching for ways to better the team and himself. He holds everyone accountable and everyone is treated equally from 1st forward to 13th. He is respected by everyone throughout the league.

Wilson is all about motivation and he's one of the best in the game today. Keith Acton does all the technical work (why do you think they kept him around?). Wilson is also very good with the technology side of the game using his laptop nonstop. The Leafs actually have laptops on the bench with them.
    Bowman really was a true details guy too. He would do things like make the St.Louis Blues move banners up (as they were too low according to NHL regulations) because his D liked to flip the puck high to get it out of the zone and the banners could potentially deflect a dump-out, get missed by an official and lead to a St Louis scoring chance -- if you ever get a chance, ask Ken Holland about that one.

That said, Scotty Bowman is the most to blame for the Wings transformation to a successful but pathetically boring style of play. It works but it is wretched to watch.
    The buzzkill known as Songburst makes his triumphant return. Please take your hooey and applesauce elsewhere. :lol:
    Jason P wrote:
    The buzzkill known as Songburst makes his triumphant return. Please take your hooey and applesauce elsewhere. :lol:

It's like going to the "I heart waffles" thread and complaining that pancakes are better. I don't understand it.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    Getting back to hockey talk, it’s going to be a close race to the playoffs, but I’m sure that Chicago and San Jose can’t be happy to see Detroit battling to get one of the final spots. It’s not much of a reward to get a match-up with the two-time defending Western Conference Champions who are finally healthy and hitting their stride.

That said, they can’t let up for the rest of the year. As Mike Babcock would say, it should be fun.
    yeah, this is actually kind of fun, watching a play-off run, I can;t even remember one

I think we can knock out San Jose in a first round match-up, and I think we have a chance against Chicago because of their goaltending.

That said, unless StLouis gets hot, I think its Detroit/Calgary/Nashville for 7 & 8th
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Heading down to the Joe tonight to watch them take on Ryan Miller and the Sabres. Should be a fun one!
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    milarso wrote:
    Heading down to the Joe tonight to watch them take on Ryan Miller and the Sabres. Should be a fun one!
    Did you see the puck hit the netting?
    How the hell did the refs miss it?
    Half the players thought the play was dead.
    Good thing Rafalski came through.
    These ot/shootout games have been killing us this year.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
    RoughMix wrote:
    milarso wrote:

Yeah we did! Everyone in our section was booing like crazy. Obviously, since we were at the game, we didn't hear any TV backlash. Did the commentators call out the refs.
    milarso wrote:
    RoughMix wrote:
    milarso wrote:

Yeah we did! Everyone in our section was booing like crazy. Obviously, since we were at the game, we didn't hear any TV backlash. Did the commentators call out the refs.
    Didn't watch on FSN Detroit,but on HNIC they showed it and stated none of the refs noticed it.
    I can only imagine what Mickey had to say.
    huge game tonight, we would be 3 points up if we won that game in Detroit last week

on TSN too
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Huge win. Huge.
    And now we make the push.
    The Wizard seems to be hitting his stride lately. That goal he scored late in the second is also my favorite move on NHL 10. Also, Homer is having a great year after disappearing last year.

There is talk the Ken Holland is trying to woe Hudler back for next season. It will be a tough sell considering he has 2.5 million tax-free reasons to stay in the U.S.S.R.
    Jason P wrote:
    The Wizard seems to be hitting his stride lately. That goal he scored late in the second is also my favorite move on NHL 10. Also, Homer is having a great year after disappearing last year.

There is talk the Ken Holland is trying to woe Hudler back for next season. It will be a tough sell considering he has 2.5 million tax-free reasons to stay in the U.S.S.R.

Could be tough to fit him under the cap for next year too, I am sure there isnt much room for Holland to go to high for Hudler. He would be nice to have this year on the second line
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Could be tough to fit him under the cap for next year too, I am sure there isnt much room for Holland to go to high for Hudler. He would be nice to have this year on the second line
    I would rather focus on retaining Bert anyway. He has been great this year and really has been able to stabilize whatever line he is on. It looks like Todd wants to finish his career in Detroit so hopefully they work a deal out soon.

It would be nice to have Huds as another sniper on the 3rd line though and he was money on shootouts (which have been a nightmare this year).
    Took five out of six points out west- including last night's OT goal with .2 seconds left before the shootout.
    Wings are making things interesting.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    smarchee wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Hudler is under contract next season, he signed a 2 year 10 million tax free contract. I doubt the NHL would let the wings violate that contract, then the KHL will just start plucking guys over here under contract.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Jason P wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I would rather focus on retaining Bert anyway. He has been great this year and really has been able to stabilize whatever line he is on. It looks like Todd wants to finish his career in Detroit so hopefully they work a deal out soon.

It would be nice to have Huds as another sniper on the 3rd line though and he was money on shootouts (which have been a nightmare this year).

I am not so sure Babcock would want Bertuzzi back, he seem atrocious defensively, in last night game he coughed the puck up at least twice that lead to pretty god scoring chances.

It'd probably better with a wait and see attitude on the free agent market. I also doubt the wings will do much until Lidstrom makes a decision, if he retires that frees up a lot of cap space, even if he comes back that might free up some cap space because I doubt the wings will pay 7 million nor will he expect 7 million, maybe 4-5. If the wings make the playoffs, I can still see them winning a series maybe 2, better match up would be them and San Jose in the first round. The last 11 games should be interesting in both conferences.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

milarso wrote:
    Took five out of six points out west- including last night's OT goal with .2 seconds left before the shootout.
    The last 11 games should be fun...I thought it would between Nashville and Detroit, not Calgary. Nashville has surprised me a little.

lukin2006 wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    The last 11 games should be fun...I thought it would between Nashville and Detroit, not Calgary. Nashville has surprised me a little.

The race is so close, between Calgary, Detroit, Nashville, Colorado and LA, it's going to be the first time in a long time that the Wings are actually going to have to fight for a spot, but at the same time, it's not out of the realm of possibility that then end up in the the No. 5-7 spots either.
    I love when I yell "shoot" at the tv and the player does and he scores

great feeling,

did alot of fist pumps
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    milarso wrote:

The race is so close, between Calgary, Detroit, Nashville, Colorado and LA, it's going to be the first time in a long time that the Wings are actually going to have to fight for a spot, but at the same time, it's not out of the realm of possibility that then end up in the the No. 5-7 spots either.

Very true, I'm sure they would like to avoid having to go west in the first round, those western trips are not popular and can take a toll on any team.

• megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    smarchee wrote:
    I love when I yell "shoot" at the tv and the player does and he scores

great feeling,

did alot of fist pumps
    :lol:
    me too
    go wings

monday is big.
    honest to god a month ago i stopped talking to this girl i liked because i found out shes a pens fan. it's just disgusting
    Another big win last night.
    10 games left, and 7-3 gives us 99 points, and I think that guarantees a spot in the playoffs.
    With two really important games against Nashville, as well as a game against struggling Edmonton and three against Columbus, I like the Wings' chances.
    Crosby was pissed at Zetterberg again last night.Just like a couple of years ago.
    He doesn't like it when someone is on him all the time.
    Yeah,big win.
    Teams are looking in the rearview,hoping they won't have to meet the Wings in the first round.
    RoughMix wrote:
    Crosby was pissed at Zetterberg again last night.Just like a couple of years ago.
    He doesn't like it when someone is on him all the time.
    Yeah,big win.
    Teams are looking in the rearview,hoping they won't have to meet the Wings in the first round.

Can you imagine a Detroit/Chicago matchup in the first round?
    A repeat of last year's WCF.
    Plus the teams play the last game of the season against one another, so it could be interesting.
    Not sure who buys into sports strictly by the numbers, but apparently tonight's game against St. Louis is pretty important.
    According to this http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Death-Watch-Atlanta-burns-Red-Wings-key-game-;_ylt=AuyjMYugBUaQkbd155M8DqJ7vLYF?urn=nhl,229917

if the Wings win tonight, they have a 91.9% chance of making the playoffs, but if they lose, their chances go down to 78.7%.

I guess I don't really need any more reason to get excited, but maybe this is it!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    Thanks for the link! Can't believe it's been that long already... :shock:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.