• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    megatron wrote:
    gotta make it 3-0 tonight. don't need to travel west for a game 5
    six
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    smarchee wrote:
    2nd last game in Pheonix Coyote history tonight !!!

Are they moving?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-04-13/daly-no-truth-to-rumored-coyotes-move-plan

The league says no...so the smart money is probably on them moving...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    Don't blink folks.
    2-0 Wings with 17:19 left to play in the first...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    1. Note the "Shop.Canada.NHL.com" ad on the boards in Jobing.com Arena. Is that supposed to be some kind of hint? :think:

2. Who the hell do the Coyotes think they are taking runs at Lidstrom? That man is a saint! Not a single fight in his 19 year career.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    MFCarissa wrote:

2. Who the hell do the Coyotes think they are taking runs at Lidstrom? That man is a saint! Not a single fight in his 19 year career.

Not completely true...
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/4184/fightcard/reg1992

But pretty close.
    milarso wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

Not completely true...

But pretty close.
    brad+miller+celebrating.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    milarso wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

Not completely true...

But pretty close.

Actually, hockeyfights.com is wrong. I looked into it awhile back. It was someone else in that fight, and they mistook it for Lidstrom. I would go figure it out again, but I'm lazy. You'll just have to trust me on this.

Edit: The part that I found unbelievable was that he instigated it. That's why I looked into it.

Edit Part 2: Someone on hockeyfights.com wrote that it was actually Marc Potvin in the comments section.
    MFCarissa wrote:

Actually, hockeyfights.com is wrong. I looked into it awhile back. It was someone else in that fight, and they mistook it for Lidstrom. I would go figure it out again, but I'm lazy. You'll just have to trust me on this.

Edit: The part that I found unbelievable was that he instigated it. That's why I looked into it.

Edit Part 2: Someone on hockeyfights.com wrote that it was actually Marc Potvin in the comments section.

Hockeyfights was wrong there, but I know I saw Lidstrom fight before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYRhR86dp0

:55

He may have never received a major penalty in his career, but he has been in at least one fight.
    milarso wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

Hockeyfights was wrong there, but I know I saw Lidstrom fight before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYRhR86dp0

:55

He may have never received a major penalty in his career, but he has been in at least one fight.

Meh, I don't really count scrums. That's just self defense. I wouldn't count that for a Gordie Howe hat trick either. It's got to be one on one with punches being thrown.
  • Love Lidstrom. They just named a street after him in Novi where he and his family reside.

I hope he comes back to play another season.
    Sweep. These late games are killing me...
    And it's also pretty nice to think that the Red Wings just swept Phoenix while playing without one of their best players.
    Once Zetterberg is back, the Wings will be even better for Round 2.
    Go WIngs.
    It's been reported that Rafalski will be announcing his retirement soon. He's been playing through pain for a while now. He had major knee and back issues. Brian had a hell of a career with the Devils and Wings, and he was a huge part of Team USA's silver medal in Vancouver. I'll miss him.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    MFCarissa wrote:
    It's been reported that Rafalski will be announcing his retirement soon. He's been playing through pain for a while now. He had major knee and back issues. Brian had a hell of a career with the Devils and Wings, and he was a huge part of Team USA's silver medal in Vancouver. I'll miss him.

Not a great year to be looking for defensemen...from what I understand the best 2 available will be Bieksa and Erhoff in Vancouver, however, I have heard rumour that Vancouver will likely be able to resign them...unless 1 or both test the market to see if a team over pays...Salo is also available, but often injured.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Bieksa's value is going up due to his performance in the play-offs

I like Weizenski from Montreal as a possible FA signing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Chris Osgood has retired. So the question is, do they retire Ozzie's number???

Only six banners hang (not including Vlad) in The Joe, so standards have been set very high.

He is one of only six goalies in NHL history to have over 400 career wins. I think the biggest drawback against him is that 80 of those wins were earned on another team.

Goalies
    Wins--Cups
    Martin Brodeur--625----3
    Patrick Roy
    551----4
    Terry Sawchuk--447----4
    Jacques Plante--437----6
    Grant Fuhr
    403----4
    Chris Osgood----401----3

How say you?
    Absolutely not. The standard is set far too high. Ozzie is no Sawchuk. If Shanahan and Fedorov can't get their numbers retired, Ozzie should not. I think only Lidstrom will.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Absolutely not. The standard is set far too high. Ozzie is no Sawchuk. If Shanahan and Fedorov can't get their numbers retired, Ozzie should not. I think only Lidstrom will.
    Lidstrom is a shoe-in.

Hank and Pavel should make it to if they keep production up over their careers.

If they ever put a statue of Pavel inside the Joe, they need to figure a way out to have the status deke itself out of your photo at the last second if you get your picture taken in front of it. :D
    Jason P wrote:
    Chris Osgood has retired. So the question is, do they retire Ozzie's number???

Only six banners hang (not including Vlad) in The Joe, so standards have been set very high.

He is one of only six goalies in NHL history to have over 400 career wins. I think the biggest drawback against him is that 80 of those wins were earned on another team.

Goalies
    Wins--Cups
    Martin Brodeur--625----3
    Patrick Roy
    551----4
    Terry Sawchuk--447----4
    Jacques Plante--437----6
    Grant Fuhr
    403----4
    Chris Osgood----401----3

How say you?

i say, check your stats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.htm? ... onsGoalies

he's number 10 on teh all times win list.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    MFCarissa wrote:

i don't know....

GAA is virtually equal and Osgood has a better win %. i don't have Terry's save numbers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I say no to retiring his number and no to the hall of fame...but he'll probably get in the hall and nhl hall of fame is joke.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

Stats don't always tell the whole story...he has more wins than Dryden, Parent, Cheevers, Hainsworth, Hasek and I'm sure more that I consider better. He's far down my list of goalies...I consider him good but not great!!!

81 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

i don't know....

GAA is virtually equal and Osgood has a better win %. i don't have Terry's save numbers.

Completely different eras. You can't just compare their stats. Sawchuk played in the time of those tiny brown pads, without a mask most of his career. It was a difficult time to be a goalie. And he won 4 Vezinas, 4 Stanley Cups, and had a shutout record that stood until Brodeur finally broke it just a couple years ago.
    Kris Draper has hung up his skates, so time for another debate.

I'm not going to bring up his entry into the Hall of Fame, but do you think the Wings will consider hanging his Jersey. If you are only considering stats, then the answer is a clear no, but it wasn't Drapers stats that made his impact on the team. It was his leadership, work ethic, and integrity.

I say hang the banner. Thoughts?
    Jason P wrote:
    Kris Draper has hung up his skates, so time for another debate.

I'm not going to bring up his entry into the Hall of Fame, but do you think the Wings will consider hanging his Jersey. If you are only considering stats, then the answer is a clear no, but it wasn't Drapers stats that made his impact on the team. It was his leadership, work ethic, and integrity.

I say hang the banner. Thoughts?

Absolutely not. You can't go hanging up banners for everyone the fan base is emotionally attached to. Paint a mural of the Grind Line or something instead.
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    Sad to see Draper finally step away from the game. Great player and a great leader for the young guys like Eaves, Abdelkader.

As far as the debate with Ozzy is concerned, as a coach for 18yrs, all I care about is Save %. I've had goalies who would let a beach ball in if they had shots against but there GAA was below 2.5 because the team in front of them was strong. Save % doesn't lie....ever! And frankly, if my goalie has Osgoods save % I'd be looking high and low for a new one ;)

In his "good years" he was about 91 save % and his latter years about 88%. That's far from NHL standards IMO. Since 1993 Dominik Hasek was never below 90%, neither has Brodeur, Patrick Roy was below 90% three times, but only once in his last 17 seasons :lol:

Not a banner hanger in my opinion but a goalie who made it work...

Lidstrom will be the only player currrently on the team to have his Jersey hanging from the rafters. ;) Not Pavel or Zetterberg. Both amazing but not even in the same category as Lidstrom or Yzerman.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • R.I.P. former Red Wings assistant coach Brad McCrimmon, former defenseman Ruslan Salei, and every other victim of the KHL plane crash.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    MFCarissa wrote:
    R.I.P. former Red Wings assistant coach Brad McCrimmon, former defenseman Ruslan Salei, and every other victim of the KHL plane crash.

yes, what a sad thing to hear :(

Ruslan was a tough SOB, might have actually preferred him in Detroit instead of Erickson, but that is history
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Datsyuk is wearing the number 24 at training camp to honor and remember his friend and teammate Ruslan Salei.

Datsyuk24.jpg
  • MFCarissa wrote:
    Datsyuk is wearing the number 24 at training camp to honor and remember his friend and teammate Ruslan Salei.

Datsyuk24.jpg
    Good form Pavel! Dude is classy as they come.
    MLMF Det
    coachchris wrote:
    Sad to see Draper finally step away from the game. Great player and a great leader for the young guys like Eaves, Abdelkader.

As far as the debate with Ozzy is concerned, as a coach for 18yrs, all I care about is Save %. I've had goalies who would let a beach ball in if they had shots against but there GAA was below 2.5 because the team in front of them was strong. Save % doesn't lie....ever! And frankly, if my goalie has Osgoods save % I'd be looking high and low for a new one ;)

In his "good years" he was about 91 save % and his latter years about 88%. That's far from NHL standards IMO. Since 1993 Dominik Hasek was never below 90%, neither has Brodeur, Patrick Roy was below 90% three times, but only once in his last 17 seasons :lol:

Not a banner hanger in my opinion but a goalie who made it work...

Lidstrom will be the only player currrently on the team to have his Jersey hanging from the rafters. ;) Not Pavel or Zetterberg. Both amazing but not even in the same category as Lidstrom or Yzerman.

Good post!!!!