Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    What on earth does this even mean? Could Jack control the band's emotions? Wow :D

Jack was good to have because he brought focus.

It's the difference between being a dad and being a father.

;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    What on earth does this even mean? Could Jack control the band's emotions? Wow :D

Actually yeah, the 2 albums he did with them flow way better musically. I like Riot Act alot but the flow is differant.

I think Yield and No Code are more cohesive, and less generic.

Shoot me!

I am all for music being differant and Riot Act is, and to me its a good thing, but it doesnt change the feel on Yield and No Code.

From what I gathered over the years the band really looks up to Jack, especially Ed, In Scar Tissue keidis goes on to talk about Ed modeling himself over Jack and trying to be just like him when he was younger. In other PJ biographies the story goes as far as Stone and Jeff creating their sound to fit Jacks drums and begging him to join the band before Ed and then the rest is history.

Matt Rocks! My favorite drummer period but the band responds differantly.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272

Matt Rocks! My favorite drummer period but the band responds differantly.

Yea, Matty is definitely my favorite (and I personally think most talented) drummer. Its pretty apparent to me that the drummers on all of their albums affected the flow/sound of the album, even if they didn't write most or any of the music.

I guess thats one of the great things about being a band is that everyone brings something to the table and that effects the final outcome.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    glasshouse wrote:
    riot act will always be my least favorite pearl jam album
    (unless ed and co seriously fuck up in the future)

can't keep
    save you
    green disease
    help help
    you are
    ****they are nice****

but i just don't care for the rest

Ill take I am Mine over help, help anyday of the year.....thank you sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Riot Act is the dog's bollocks!
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Riot Act is the dog's bollocks!

Right on!
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    "The dog's bollocks" actually means it's the best thing since sliced bread!
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    "The dog's bollocks" actually means it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Whoops... :o
  • Options
    Long live the PAT(RIOT) ACT album!!!!!

Can't Keep - only the best fucking song to listen while driving down PCH
    Save You - Yall know you have an alchy friend... if not, you're it!
    Love Boat Captain - Mix the light into the gray baby!
    Cropduster - I thought I thought the world...turns out the world thought me.
    Ghost - Think "Fortunate Son"
    I Am Mine - The innocence BROKEN with lies
    Thumbing My Way - You can't be free with what's inside...be the bigger person!
    You Are - Once you hold the hand of love (Love Boat Captain)
    Get Right - Spark-to-flame (of love)
    Green Disease - It's all about the benjamins (always)
    Help Help - Fleetwood Mac - Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
    Bushleager - You read the news
    1/2 Full - The part of "Down" that made it into the record
    Arc - Rana Rana Rana (Peanut's trupmet teacher thing) 9 people dead\
    All or None - Waxing poetic
    Confucious Says: He who buries a man's wife alive, should not expect to sit at that man's dinner table without the subject coming up.
  • Options
    Long live the PAT(RIOT) ACT album!!!!!

Can't Keep - only the best fucking song to listen while driving down PCH

PCH is beautiful. I wish I had listened to this album driving down it.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say I love Riot Act, with my 4000th post.
  • Options
    Riot Act Is Pearl Jam's Most Underated Album!!!!

fucking brilliant..

and i love the whole PAT(RIOT) ACT thing..that was cool
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    i fuckin love riot act

help help is amazing

the whole cd is amazing
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club
  • Options
    and i love the whole PAT(RIOT) ACT thing..that was cool

I was reading the PATRIOT Act for class and being familiar with the British Riot Act.... I dunno it was one of those weird things that they are both reactionary legislation. The state limiting the basic power of the people right to assemble, equal protection, due process.

The ex-parte is the worst part of the law. The government can introduce to a judge evidence against you and as long as they say it's classified you can't examine or challenge it.

After reading the PATRIOT Act I *understand* why the government needs the warrentless wire taps. I don't entirely support it but I undertand that NSA wire taps work like a deep sea fishing net, you don't know what you've caught until you reel it in. So you can't get a warrant for something you don't know you have until it's caught.

Anyways.... How bout them Colts?
    Confucious Says: He who buries a man's wife alive, should not expect to sit at that man's dinner table without the subject coming up.
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    I LOVE RIOT ACT!!!!!!! :p:D
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    you are wrote:
    I LOVE RIOT ACT!!!!!!! :p:D

:D
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    yosi wrote:
    :D

glad i made you smile!

my niece is starting to like pearl jam and is thinking about which cd to get first. i'm letting her listen to all of them, but i'm showing her my great appreciation for riot act. so far so good. she seems to like it. i'd like to think i'm "raising" her right. :D
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    you are wrote:
    glad i made you smile!

my niece is starting to like pearl jam and is thinking about which cd to get first. i'm letting her listen to all of them, but i'm showing her my great appreciation for riot act. so far so good. she seems to like it. i'd like to think i'm "raising" her right. :D

Haha. That's awesome!! What cd did you end up getting her *fingers crossed for Riot Act* :D:p
  • Options
    Fuck. I'm in a pretty awful mood today, things are just going shitty for me in general. Put this cd on, its helping. Still definitely love it.

Fuck...
  • Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    yosi wrote:
    Fuck. I'm in a pretty awful mood today, things are just going shitty for me in general. Put this cd on, its helping. Still definitely love it.

Fuck...

I love Riot Act, too. Just didn't want you to feel alone in a world filled with Riot Act haters. What's your favorite song?
  • Options
    SLH916 wrote:
    I love Riot Act, too. Just didn't want you to feel alone in a world filled with Riot Act haters. What's your favorite song?

Haha. Thanks, I'm used to it, sadly. My favorites on this album are Ghost, Help Help, 1/2 Full and All or None. Not sure I can choose one though. What about you?
  • Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    yosi wrote:
    Haha. Thanks, I'm used to it, sadly. My favorites on this album are Ghost, Help Help, 1/2 Full and All or None. Not sure I can choose one though. What about you?

THUMBING MY WAY and YOU ARE, but I pretty much like everything on it, even BUSHLEAGUER.

Two things that everyone is always complaining about that I just don't understand:

1. The Production.

I don't know anything about record production, but I love the arrangements. I love the variety of tones that they get out of their guitars, and I love the slow build to the climax of many of the songs. They have an almost operatic quality.

2. Eddie's singing.

I love the reflective quality of it. Eddie's singing on LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN is some of the best he's ever done. I don't think that he sounds like he just rolled out of bed. Eddie just isn't as aggressive as he usually is.

Hope that you're feeling better.
  • Options
    SLH916 wrote:
    THUMBING MY WAY and YOU ARE, but I pretty much like everything on it, even BUSHLEAGUER.

Two things that everyone is always complaining about that I just don't understand:

1. The Production.

I don't know anything about record production, but I love the arrangements. I love the variety of tones that they get out of their guitars, and I love the slow build to the climax of many of the songs. They have an almost operatic quality.

2. Eddie's singing.

I love the reflective quality of it. Eddie's singing on LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN is some of the best he's ever done. I don't think that he sounds like he just rolled out of bed. Eddie just isn't as aggressive as he usually is.

Hope that you're feeling better.

I totally agree with you on both parts. Especially the singing too. I feel like he sang the way he did on purpose, and in fact, I think that he sounds like he's singing with a lot of passion, instead of just yelling. It really sounds like he's sad, and that the music reflects it. I think its some of the most passionate singing he's ever done.

And thanks, I am feeling a little better.
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    Time to shut this thread down, yeah? :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    Time to shut this thread down, yeah? :)

Time to go back to your new forum, yeah?
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    yosi wrote:
    Time to go back to your new forum, yeah?

I'm teasing...you guys do a great job of keeping on topic. I'm personally not a fan of the topic, so good on you.

Oh, LBC is their best work on this album. Thanks, Kenneth.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    I'm teasing...you guys do a great job of keeping on topic. I'm personally not a fan of the topic, so good on you.

Oh, LBC is their best work on this album. Thanks, Kenneth.

Yea, I was just teasing back, because all you guys no longer post over here (at least for the most part).

By the way, what's the link for that new forum, I seem to have lost it.
  • Options
    So, for my 5,000th post, I guess I'll throw out an idea that I've been kicking around with this album for a little while. Its not totally complete, so don't judge it too harshly.

I've been thinking recently that Riot Act is Pearl Jam's existential album. Its starts off with songs like Can't Keep, and Save You, which is the person viewing the world in the "natural light", kind of without reflection (think Husserl before epoche, Levinas before hypostasis, Soleveitchik's Adam 1, Sartre before the existential crisis, etc). Than the existential crisis happens, the relation with death, Love Boat Captain. Here, you have the death of 9 people, and the person is left to consider their place in existence. Cropduster is about a person realizing their place in existence, reflecting on themselves, being in an existential crisis (Soleveitchik's Adam 2), "I thought I thought the world, turns out the world thought me. It's all the other way round, its upside down". You have Ghost, the person still in crisis, and then I Am Mine, is the beginning of a person coming to grips with reality, and their place in it. Thumbing and You Are, is the self relating to another person and the self beginning to try and integrate back into society.

I have more analysis, but not enough patience to really continue this now, and make it coherent, but I will continue later.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Set YIELD free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    I'm starting to love Ghost more and more.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."